Baha'is as a Middle East Controversy

smkolins

Bahá'í
Reaction score
There is something of a controversy, with rumors of encouraging violence against Baha's brewing.

Here's some links to read...

An online news-magazine account to have a Baha'i marriage recognized.

"A court ruling providing official recognition to Bahais has done little to ease the debate on this Israeli-based cult...."

Another online account has more to say:

"CAIRO -- In April, Egypt's small community of Baha'is rejoiced that they had finally been granted full rights as Egyptians, despite deep-rooted differences in religious ideology. Just last week, however, the government put forward an appeal against the group in an attempt to maintain the status quo."

An an online blog struggles to wonder if Baha'is would go to war.

Here's an account of the debate in government circles: "Members of parliament attacked Baha'is as deviants and extremists....

Member of Parliament Gamal Akl, of the opposition Muslim Brotherhood, said the Baha'is were infidels who should be killed on the grounds that they had changed their religion.

"The problem with the Baha'is is they are moved by Israeli fingers. We wish the Ministry of the Interior would not yield to the cheap blackmail of this deviant group," added another Muslim Brotherhood member, Mustafa Awadallah." These comments are echoed elsewhere.

This topic surfaced just after news had been found of Iranian government....

As revealed here an agent of the UN found evidence of an attempt to identify all Baha'is in Iran by the military of Iran - the agent reports:

"The letter," she said, "which is addressed to the Ministry of Information, the Revolutionary Guard and the Police Force, states that the Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Khamenei, had instructed the Command Headquarters to identify persons who adhere to the Baha'i faith and monitor their activities. The letter goes on to request the recipients to, in a highly confidential manner, collect any and all information about members of the Baha'i faith."(*)

Such antagonistic features of Middle East cultures have a long history. 2003 Noble Peace Prize winner from Iran reports death threats even if she doesn't publize her association with the Baha'i Faith. Baha'is have attempted to bring such issues to light for a long time.

Evidence of a systematic program to oppress the Baha'i Faith stretches back before the millenium. An academic account published in the 1980's has been made available online. It makes harrowing reading.

Hi Stephen,

Yes, the situation in Iran is rapidly growing worse for all minority religions there. This article is a recent example:

arm bands for minority religions.

Doubling up on my prayers for Baha'is, Jews, Christians and all minority religions in Iran. :(

lunamoth

On the other hand, see this article from the Globe & Mail

http://tinyurl.com/o4s77The one you reference, luna, is originally taken from the National Post, and checking its source, is a press release from an agency in NYC that appears to be busy trying to stir up anti-islamic sentiment, based on the articles by the author of that and others. Being originally from Toronto, I tend to be skeptical of the NP articles until confirmed by a shall we say more reputable source. (And for any other Toronto/Canada folks around, I *don't* mean the Sun)

To sum up the Globe article - the bill is apparently designed to encourage Islamic-style dress for women (like that's a surprise in an Islamic state...)-via a tax increase on western-style clothing, and is not related to religious minorities at all.

Re: On the other hand, see this article from the Globe & Mail

brucegdc said:
http://tinyurl.com/o4s77The one you reference, luna, is originally taken from the National Post, and checking its source, is a press release from an agency in NYC that appears to be busy trying to stir up anti-islamic sentiment, based on the articles by the author of that and others. Being originally from Toronto, I tend to be skeptical of the NP articles until confirmed by a shall we say more reputable source. (And for any other Toronto/Canada folks around, I *don't* mean the Sun)

To sum up the Globe article - the bill is apparently designed to encourage Islamic-style dress for women (like that's a surprise in an Islamic state...)-via a tax increase on western-style clothing, and is not related to religious minorities at all.

Bruce, thank you for that research. I had no idea that I was being manipulated by propaganda. That will teach me to re-post online 'news' articles. :eek:

luna

No problem. I love doing research, and I was surprised that I didn't see furor around it in my usual sources (yes, I'm a data addict) - and then saw the Globe article today covering the discussion :) It's getting to the point you can't trust anything these days... why just today some scoundrel claimed I had inherited a $15M trust fund sitting in Africa and we both know it's in Switzerland...

for all the questionable references on that issue, the broader reports, heavily seconded with personal accounts continues to mount.

A family in the states with connections to a family in Iran reports that several women were arrested a few days ago with a large group of youth and young adults who had been serving as tutors of math, science and English to poor children, a program that had been given the permission of the local government. As far as we know, their families have not been able to see them yet. The are pictured here. They are asking for prayers.

brucegdc said:
It's getting to the point you can't trust anything these days... why just today some scoundrel claimed I had inherited a $15M trust fund sitting in Africa and we both know it's in Switzerland...

Yours too? :p

So is all this banter about spam supposed to mean something?

At the very least can't you take such chatter somewhere else? It's at least disrespectful, not to say demeaning that the treatment of Baha'is is to be mixed up with feel-good banter about how it's all just fluff. If we can't talk meaningfully about this, even including actually questioning the validty but not simply demeaning the topic, in the Baha'i discussion area and not, say the Moslem area which is the clear cultural-religious context all this is happening in, then what's the point?

Seeking the truth requires spiritual depth.

"O My brother! When a true seeker determineth to take the step of search in the path leading unto the knowledge of the Ancient of Days, he must, before all else, cleanse his heart, which is the seat of the revelation of the inner mysteries of God, from the obscuring dust of all acquired knowledge, and the allusions of the embodiments of satanic fancy. He must purge his breast, which is the sanctuary of the abiding love of the Beloved, of every defilement, and sanctify his soul from all that pertaineth to water and clay, from all shadowy and ephemeral attachments. He must so cleanse his heart that no remnant of either love or hate may linger therein, lest that love blindly incline him to error, or that hate repel him away from the truth. Even as thou dost witness in this Day how most of the people, because of such love and hate, are bereft of the immortal Face, have strayed far from the Embodiments of the Divine mysteries, and, shepherdless, are roaming through the wilderness of oblivion and error."

9Harmony said:

Indeed - some good news in that some were released, mixed with news of confiscated computers and dozens more than I knew of over the last weeks.... I hope others can percieve the legitimacy of the situation and perhaps a concensus of thought could be arrived at. During such events writing congressmen (in the states, not sure of the equivolent in Britain or other countries) has proven a measurable force in bringing such events to an end. There have been such efforts on behalf of the genocide in Darfur for example.

In the UK we have been asked to contact our local Member of Parliament. Our community had a meeting with our MP a few weeks ago and he was very sympathetic to the situation and promised to raise the question in Parliament with the UK Foreign Office (State Dept in US terms). He also said that he would co-ordinate with other sympathetic MP's to highlight the issue through a full scale 'debate' (we have in Parliament a group called 'Parliamentary Friends of the Baha'is').

He will also ask about what the governement's response would be if this is raised in the UN. He even asked us what questions we would like him to ask.

He was concerned that the present situation about Irans' nuclear activites will overshadow the plight of the Baha'is.

I would be interested in hearing of any government response in the US as this may help our MP to raise the profile of the situation with our government. In fairness it has always been sypathetic and has always tried to raise the question with the Iranian authorities.

Bill

A NYTimes article summarizes and extends some recent coverage. And it mentions

"The United States Congress is considering a resolution that would condemn the Iranian government for repressing Bahais and call on President Bush to make the abuse of Bahais a significant factor in United States foreign policy.

Representative Mark Steven Kirk, an Illinois Republican who co-sponsored the resolution with Representative Tom Lantos of California, said, "My fear is that if the regime leads the country into a confrontation with the West, it will be the cover for a great human rights crime, as happened before." "

a Moslem prince wonders how we are all going to live with eachother.... "My question today is a simple one: "How Can We Live Together?" At a time when political and cultural conflicts threaten us like never before, with dangerous friction between religious communities and competition for resources, when we have witnessed horrific acts of indiscriminate violence, how do seven billion souls reach a civilized consensus on cohabiting a world so abundant and yet so fragile? How can we ensure that Martin Luther King's famous "I have a dream" does not turn into a nightmare in which billions are born into miserable lives of poverty, humiliation and retribution?

Well, first of all, as I address you today - Jews, Christians, Muslims, Baha'is, Hindus, Buddhists and Jains from 50 states and over 100 countries - this university itself is a testament to the ideal of unity in diversity. It is truly a world in microcosm, where all races, ages and religions meet to affirm the combined genius of humanity...."

With loving gratitude to our Jewish friends in
California, this email attests to our oneness in the
Eternal Covenant of God...

Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:25 PM

To: Rabbi Jeff Brown
Subject: Etanu, from Temple Solel

June 1, 2006
5 Sivan 5766

Dear Friends:

Tomorrow, Jews around the world will mark the festival
of Shavuot (learn more about the holiday at
[URL="http://www.myjewishlearning.com/holidays/Shavuot.htm"]http://www.myjewishlearning.com/holidays/Shavuot.htm [/URL]).
As a holiday that is chiefly devoted to celebrating
the very particularistic/unique covenant that
the Jewish people have with God, we might be under the
impression that Judaism is less concerned about those
members of other faiths who are (by definition) not
part of our unique covenant. God forbid! Over and
over again, the Torah reminds us that we should love
the stranger (and care for the stranger), for we were
once strangers in the Land of Egypt (see
Leviticus 19:34, for example).

With this in mind, I was surprised to find a
disturbing article in this morning's New York Times
(read it at
[URL="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/01/world/middleeast/01bahai.html?_r=1&oref=slogin"]http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/01/world/middleeast/01bahai.html?_r=1&oref=slogin [/URL]).
The article details the recent attempts on the part
of the Iranian government to harass and stifle that
country's Baha'i community.

For those that do not know, the Baha'i faith is one of
the world's youngest 'official' or organized
religions. The religion was founded in Iran during
the 1800s by Bahá'u'lláh, who spread a message of
peace and unity. Notably, he believed that every
peace-loving religion came from the same source: the
one God. Judaism represents God's revelation at one
time in history. Christianity represents God's
revelation at another time in history, etc. Baha'i (he
believed) was the latest in a long line of divine
revelations. The ultimate goal of the Baha'i faith is
to unify the diverse peoples of the world into one
global peace-loving family. You can learn more about
the Baha'i faith by going to
[URL="http://www.bahai.org/faq/facts/bahai_faith"]http://www.bahai.org/faq/facts/bahai_faith [/URL] and
[URL="http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_10041.asp"]http://www.beliefnet.com/index/index_10041.asp .[/URL] Cool
San Diego connection to the Baha'i faith: one of the
religion's most famous followers is Khalil Greene, the
Padres shortstop! Read more about him at
[URL="http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040820/news_1n20greene.html"]http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040820/news_1n20greene.html .[/URL]

(Brief Tangent: Beyond the fact that Baha'i should be
on our radar screens because it is a peace-loving
religion, we should also know about it because the
religion's world headquarters are in Israel! If you
have spent any time in Haifa before, then there is the
strong chance that you visited the Baha'i World Center
and Gardens. (This is a must-see for anyone who will
be in Israel in the near future.) For pictures of the
Gardens, see [URL="http://www.bahaipictures.com/"]http://www.bahaipictures.com/ .[/URL])

News of Iran's behavior toward members who identify as
Baha'i has an eerie resonance with those of us who are
familiar with the Nuremberg Laws (learn
more about them at
[URL="http://www.ushmm.org/outreach/nlaw.htm"]http://www.ushmm.org/outreach/nlaw.htm [/URL]), established
by Nazi Germany at the beginning of the Holocaust.
Like the Nuremberg Laws, the recent behavior of Iran's
government toward the Baha'i prevent them from
pursuing certain jobs, enjoying political
representation, etc.

Thus, even if the Torah didn't have any of those
comments about loving the stranger, we would still be
compelled to stand up on behalf of the Baha'i because
of our people's experience during the Holocaust. We
know all too well about the price that will be paid if
those outside of Iran do not stand up in defense of
persecuted minorities there.

It gives me considerable pride, therefore, to note
that Rep. Tom Lantos (a Jewish Member of Congress from
California, and the only Shoah survivor to ever serve
in Congress) is co-sponsoring H Con Res 415, a
resolution that calls for the President to "call for
the Government of Iran to emancipate the Baha'i
community by granting those rights guaranteed by the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other
international covenants on human rights."

This is an issue that, aside from the Times article
today, is completely off the radar screen of most
Americans (and our elected officials). I hope
you'll join me in sharing concern with Senators Boxer
and Feinstein (whose contact info can be found at
www.senate.gov) and President Bush
(www.whitehouse.gov ). Be sure to let them know that
you care about this issue because you are a Jew, and
because our recent history has made us especially
sensitive to the threats of discrimination and
genocide. (I would also have you share your thoughts
with our congressperson, but alas, the 50th District's
seat remains vacant thanks to Randy Cunningham's
well-publicized abuse of office. In the meantime,
everyone should vote next week on June 6 for his
replacement.)

For those that still find themselves on campus, you
may want to be in touch with the campus Baha'i group.
Let them know that you have heard about what
is happening in Iran, and find out if there is
anything that you can do to help/be supportive.

As we mark Shavuot tomorrow, I hope and pray that we
will remember that even though we celebrate our
tradition's uniqueness, we must never forget our
responsibility to care for all of humanity, no matter
what religion a person associates him/herself with.

Chag Sameach - Happy Holiday - and Shabbat Shalom,

RJB

Rabbi Jeff Brown
(760) 436.0654

Thank you, 9Harmony, for sharing this letter with us. It is so beautiful to see "action" take place by those people not even in the middle of the situation -- these people are true humanitarians. The support the Baha'i community is getting from these blessed humanitarians should serve to be such an eye opener for the rest of the world.

My prayers and support to all.

Sassafras

Things are heating up in Egypt again.

You might recall that Egypt is in a modernization movement, where for example all citizens are to get identification papers. These papers are to list religious affiliation but the religious/cultural norms of the society allow for recognition only of Islam, Christianity, Judaism. Baha'is therefore would enter a legal no-man's land if they insist on recognition of their religion - and the thousands of Baha'is in Egypt, and the history entertwining Egypt and the Baha'i Faith would certainly enter a new era.

A couple seeking a marriage license had to get such identity papers and wanted their religion noted as Baha'i but were refused. They went to court and they agreed and it was appealed by the government. The matter became a subject of public debate in their Parliment, of a series of TV talk shows and newspaper coverages, and commentary among the blogs (both in arabic and english.)

There had been a scheduled hearing in Sept for the Supreme Court but it was postponed for a report reviewing the facts of the case to be made for consideration. The Court is scheduled to reconvene on the matter Nov 20th.

That report was released in 12 October.

It was entirely against the Bahá'ís as far as I can find...

A blog has covered the topic in depth. Baha'i Faith in Egypt but here's a summary:

it concluded that since the Baha'i Faith is not recognized in Egypt as a "divine religion," therefore its followers in that land have no rights whatsoever and that they simply do not exist! Consequently, they concluded that Egypt's Constitutional guarantees of freedom of belief and religion do not apply to the Baha'is. That Egypt is not bound to its commitment as a cosignatory to the United Nations Universal Declaration on Human Rights, and that the Baha'is, in Egypt, should not be under its protection--since, as far as they are concerned, Egypt should have no obligations towards them! That the Baha'i are apostates (whether or not they descended from an Islamic background). That they are a threat to the "general [public] order" of the State, and that all their marriages are null and void.... That "methods must be defined that would insure that Baha'is are identified, confronted and singled out so that they could be watched carefully, isolated and monitored in order to protect the rest of the population as well as Islam from their danger, influence and their teachings." The report also calls for the original plaintiffs (the Baha'i family that won the case) to be charged for all court costs!

- note the language reminiscent of the Iranian secret plan to track Bahá'ís (but also understand that Egypt is a Sunni-Moslem country while Iran is a Shi'a-Moslem one and they have little tolerance even for eachother.)

Oct 19th President Mubarak made a speech about religious diverisity on the anniversary of the first night of the Revelation of God to Muhammad mentioned here with an open-ended call for core values of Islam for tolerance but did not mention any specifics:"Isn't it the time for a new religious discourse, that teaches people the correct things in their religion ... and promotes the values of tolerance against those of extremism and radicalism?"

Since then leading religious figures have continued to speak out against and for the Bahá'ís. Here's a report of an interview with a tolerant Muslim but also mentioning his extremist older brother.

You might recall that Egypt is in a modernization movement, where for example all citizens are to get identification papers. These papers are to list religious affiliation but the religious/cultural norms of the society allow for recognition only of Islam, Christianity, Judaism. Baha'is therefore would enter a legal no-man's land if they insist on recognition of their religion - and the thousands of Baha'is in Egypt, and the history entertwining Egypt and the Baha'i Faith would certainly enter a new era.

A couple seeking a marriage license had to get such identity papers and wanted their religion noted as Baha'i but were refused. They went to court and they agreed and it was appealed by the government. The matter became a subject of public debate in their Parliment, of a series of TV talk shows and newspaper coverages, and commentary among the blogs (both in arabic and english.)

There had been a scheduled hearing in Sept for the Supreme Court but it was postponed for a report reviewing the facts of the case to be made for consideration. The Court is scheduled to reconvene on the matter Nov 20th.

That report was released in 12 October.

It was entirely against the Bahá'ís as far as I can find...

A blog has covered the topic in depth. Baha'i Faith in Egypt but here's a summary:

it concluded that since the Baha'i Faith is not recognized in Egypt as a "divine religion," therefore its followers in that land have no rights whatsoever and that they simply do not exist! Consequently, they concluded that Egypt's Constitutional guarantees of freedom of belief and religion do not apply to the Baha'is. That Egypt is not bound to its commitment as a cosignatory to the United Nations Universal Declaration on Human Rights, and that the Baha'is, in Egypt, should not be under its protection--since, as far as they are concerned, Egypt should have no obligations towards them! That the Baha'i are apostates (whether or not they descended from an Islamic background). That they are a threat to the "general [public] order" of the State, and that all their marriages are null and void.... That "methods must be defined that would insure that Baha'is are identified, confronted and singled out so that they could be watched carefully, isolated and monitored in order to protect the rest of the population as well as Islam from their danger, influence and their teachings." The report also calls for the original plaintiffs (the Baha'i family that won the case) to be charged for all court costs!

- note the language reminiscent of the Iranian secret plan to track Bahá'ís (but also understand that Egypt is a Sunni-Moslem country while Iran is a Shi'a-Moslem one and they have little tolerance even for eachother.)

Oct 19th President Mubarak made a speech about religious diverisity on the anniversary of the first night of the Revelation of God to Muhammad mentioned here with an open-ended call for core values of Islam for tolerance but did not mention any specifics:"Isn't it the time for a new religious discourse, that teaches people the correct things in their religion ... and promotes the values of tolerance against those of extremism and radicalism?"

Since then leading religious figures have continued to speak out against and for the Bahá'ís. Here's a report of an interview with a tolerant Muslim but also mentioning his extremist older brother.

Thanks very much for keeping us abreast with developements in Egypt....It does appear ominous that some leaders of the country may be trying to rationalize some way of escaping their obligations under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which protects freedom of belief...very chilling indeed!

- Art

Indeed and it would approach how bad it is now in Iran...

You might recall that the religious leadership in Iran, with formal authority within the government of Iran, had sent out a secret letter detailing that Baha'is should be kept track of in October 2005. This letter had been discovered by a UN official March 2006. The Anti-Defamation League said the orders issued in the 29 October letter were “reminiscent of the steps taken against Jews in Europe ".

Well there's a new letter. Dated August 16th, another secret letter was sent and leaked by November. It's far more detailed about what the Iranian government is to do with the "the perverse sect of Bahaism" - a copy of the cover letter can be read here.

This letter and it's survey asks provincial deputies of the Department of Politics and Security in Offices of the Governors’ General to order “relevant offices to cautiously and sensitively monitor and supervise” all Baha'i social activities about the circumstances and activities of local Baha'is, including their “financial status,” “social interactions,” and “association with foreign assemblies,” and asks for information on the ‘socio-political activities’ of Baha'is – even though it is well known to authorities that Baha'is are entirely non-political in their activities in every country, inasmuch as the Baha'i sacred writings stress the importance of non-involvement in partisan politics, as well as non-violence. The news is covered by the Baha'i UN representatives to the UN (who are one of many NGOs represented there.)

Back