Baha'is as a Middle East Controversy

Global Day of Action for imprisoned Baha'is

Ongoing trial of Iran's Baha'i leaders highlighted on global day of action

BRUSSELS, Belgium, 13 June (BWNS) - On a global day of action highlighting human rights abuses in Iran, the European Union and the Prime Minister of Canada issued strong statements calling for Iran to respect international law.

In a declaration made on behalf of the European Union, its High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Baroness Catherine Ashton, said, "We call on Iran to respect fair trial rights as enshrined in article 14 of the ICCPR (International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights). Discrimination against religious and ethnic minorities and women are other areas of concern."

"We are disturbed by serious reports of ill-treatment and torture of those detained and imprisoned as well as allegations of forced confessions," the EU declaration said. "The EU will be closely monitoring the ongoing trial of Baha'i leaders in this regard."

"We take this opportunity to reassure the people of Iran that they have not been forgotten: the EU will continue to speak out and to call on the Iranian authorities to respect the rights of their citizens in accordance with the international obligations to which they have committed under the International Covenant of Civil and Political Rights and other human rights treaties," the statement concluded.

The EU declaration was issued on Saturday, 12 June - the same day that the seven Baha'i leaders returned to court in Tehran for the start of the fourth session of their trial, which continues today.

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada

The Prime Minister of Canada, Stephen Harper, also urged Iran to respect the rights of its Baha'i community and "cease persecuting it, discriminating against it and detaining its members."

"We note the trial of the seven leaders of the Baha'i community was to take place today," said Mr. Harper in a statement marking the one year anniversary of Iran's 2009 presidential election, "and we call on the Iranian regime to ensure that due process is respected."

"Iran has made absolutely no progress in the last year toward addressing the legitimate aspirations of its people. In fact, its regime has been even more repressive. Iran's continued, blatant disregard for the rights of its citizens must end," he said.

Calling upon Iran to uphold its human rights commitments, the Prime Minister urged the Iranian government "to respect diverse social and political groups and their freedom of expression, and to engage these groups in a constructive dialogue that will serve to strengthen the rich fabric of the Iranian nation."

United Kingdom appeal

In London, the government of the United Kingdom also issued a statement saying, "This trial comes at a time when we are remembering the human rights abuses surrounding the elections in Iran a year ago."

"I call on the Iranian Government to ensure, without delay, that the rights of these individuals are fully protected," said the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Foreign Office, Alistair Burt on Friday, 11 June, "that they are given due legal process, including being released on bail and given a fair and transparent trial, in accordance with international standards."

The minister also called on the Iranian government "to cease the harassment of, and to also respect the rights, of many members of minority groups who continue to face arrest and lengthy prison sentences, often on vaguely worded charges of acting against national security."

Worldwide day of action

In more than 80 cities around the world, people took to the streets yesterday to call for an end to human rights abuses in Iran. In South Africa, buses are carrying images of Iranian prisoners of conscience as part of the campaign, organised by human rights group United4Iran.

"This is not about party-politics or calls for punitive action," said one campaigner in Johannesburg, "this is a principled call to respect the human rights of every person."

In Berlin, Germany, a group erected a replica prison cell at the city's historic Brandenburg Gate. A display depicting the seven Baha'i leaders read, "Ideals cannot be locked up. But people with ideals can be. In Iran, these people need your help."

"For more than two years the seven Baha'i leaders have been under arrest without justification," said a supporter. "They are imprisoned only because they are Baha'is. Today it is the Baha'is. Tomorrow it could happen to the Sunnis, Jews, Christians or other minorities."

"I hope we are sending a powerful signal of solidarity to the people in Iran," said another. "The Iranian people should know that our thoughts are with them."

In Brazil, campaigners carrying masks depicting Iran's seven Baha'i leaders gathered in front of the Brazilian National Congress last Wednesday to call for their release.

Congressman Mr. Luiz Couto - a former President of the Commission of Human Rights and Minorities - told the gathering that a person's faith is an intrinsic human right, necessary for the development of an individual and his contribution to society.

Referring to the situation of the Baha'is in Iran at a Plenary Session of Brazil's Chamber of Deputies, another congressman, Deputy Paulo Delgado, said that human rights policies in the democratic world are "inescapable and do not admit exceptions." Mr. Delgado expressed his hope that the international community realizes that the "anguish and suffering of a religious minority" is something that "can happen to any of us."

To view this article and photographs, go to:
Ongoing trial of Iran's Baha'i leaders highlighted on global day of action

For the Baha'i World News Service home page, go to:
Bahá'í World News Service - Bahá'í International Community

Trials ended...?

Trial of seven Iranian Baha'i leaders appears to have ended

NEW YORK, 14 June (BWNS) – The trial of seven Baha'i leaders imprisoned for more than two years in Iran seems to have come to a conclusion after three days of successive court hearings.

The seven appeared in Branch 28 of the Revolutionary Court in Tehran on the morning of Saturday, 12 June and returned to Evin Prison shortly after noon.

The Court was reconvened the next day, as well as this morning.

"We can confirm that a court session was held today in Tehran," said Bani Dugal, the principal representative of the Baha'i International Community to the United Nations, "and it seems from what we have heard that the trial itself has now concluded. But we have no further information at this time."

The defendants are Fariba Kamalabadi, Jamaloddin Khanjani, Afif Naeimi, Saeid Rezaie, Mahvash Sabet, Behrouz Tavakkoli, and Vahid Tizfahm.

Before their imprisonment, they attended to the spiritual and social needs of Iran's Baha'i community, which numbers more than 300,000. They have been held in Evin prison since they were arrested in 2008 – six of them on 14 May and one of them two months earlier.

Their trial began on 12 January this year after they had been incarcerated without charge in Evin prison for 20 months. At the first hearing, the seven categorically denied charges of espionage, propaganda activities against the Islamic order, and "corruption on earth," among other allegations.

A second appearance on 7 February was concerned mainly with procedural issues. The third session on 12 April, which was purportedly a closed hearing, was adjourned after the seven – with the agreement of their attorneys – refused to be party to the proceedings because of the presence of nonjudicial personnel.

To view this article and a photograph, go to:
Trial of seven Iranian Baha'i leaders appears to have ended

For the Baha'i World News Service home page, go to:

Detention extended for imprisoned Baha'is

Detention extended for seven Iranian Baha'i leaders

GENEVA, 5 August (BWNS) – The imprisonment of seven Baha'i leaders in Iran has been extended for a further two months, the Baha'i International Community has learned.

The trial of the seven concluded on 14 June. No verdict has yet been given.

"These innocent Baha'is have now been held for more than two years under a series of successive orders for their 'temporary' detention, which by law must not exceed two months," said Diane Ala'i, representative of the Baha'i International Community to the United Nations in Geneva.

On 24 July, two days after the most recent two-month prison term concluded, the defense attorneys for the seven once again issued a formal request that the prisoners be released on bail, as permitted under Iranian law.

Since then, the judge presiding over the case has told the prisoners that their detention had once again been extended for two months.

The attorneys have now submitted a written objection to the extension, said Ms. Alai.

"There is no legal basis whatsoever to refuse the request that the defendants be released on bail," she said.

The seven prisoners are Fariba Kamalabadi, Jamaloddin Khanjani, Afif Naeimi, Saeid Rezaie, Mahvash Sabet, Behrouz Tavakkoli, and Vahid Tizfahm. They categorically deny charges of espionage, propaganda activities against the Islamic order, and "corruption on earth," among other allegations.

Before their incarceration, the seven attended to the spiritual and social needs of Iran's Baha'i community, which numbers more than 300,000. They have been held in Tehran's notorious Evin prison since they were arrested in 2008 - six of them on 14 May and one of them two months earlier.

Their trial consisted of six brief court appearances which began on 12 January after they had been imprisoned without charge for 20 months, during which time they were allowed barely one hour's access to their legal counsel.

"That these people – held purely for their religious beliefs – have now entered the third year of their so-called 'temporary' incarceration under such inhumane conditions constitutes a deplorable violation of their human rights," said Ms. Ala'i.

"The Iranian government must know that its actions are under close international scrutiny and that it is held wholly responsible for this terrible injustice," she said "Once again, we call upon the authorities in Iran to take immediate action to release them."

To read this article online and view a photograph, go to:
Detention extended for seven Iranian Baha'i leaders

Open letter to Iran's judiciary...

Open letter speaks out for the rights of all Iranians

NEW YORK, 7 December (BWNS) – In an open letter to the head of Iran’s Judiciary, the Baha’i International Community today contrasted the country's persecution of Baha’is with Iran’s own call for Muslim minorities to be treated fairly in other countries.

“We...request that the Baha’is in that country be granted their full rights of citizenship, in order that they may be able to fulfill their heartfelt aspiration to contribute, alongside their fellow citizens, to the advancement of their nation,” says the letter.

“This, indeed, is no more than what you rightfully ask for Muslim minorities who reside in other lands. Baha’is merely seek the same treatment from you,” the Baha’i International Community states.

Respecting the rights of Iranian Baha’is now would “signal a willingness to respect the rights of all the citizens of your country,” the letter says.

The document, dated 7 December and addressed to Ayatollah Mohammad Sadeq Larijani, states that the injustices meted out on Iran’s Baha’i citizens are a “reflection of the terrible oppression that has engulfed the nation.” Redressing the wrongs suffered by the Baha’is would “bring hope to the hearts of all Iranians that you are ready to ensure justice for everyone.”

“Our call, then, is in reality a call for respect of the rights of all the Iranian people,” the Baha’i International Community says.

“How can a just society, or a just world, be built on a foundation of irrational oppression and the systematic denial of basic human rights to any minority? Everything your country overtly professes to seek on the world stage is contradicted by your treatment of your own people at home.”

“Reprehensible measures”

The letter catalogs in detail the “many reprehensible measures” resorted to by officials during the detention, trial, sentencing and appeal, of the seven Baha’i leaders, who formerly served as the members of a national-level group that - with the Iranian government’s knowledge - helped see to the minimum spiritual needs of the Baha’is of Iran.

The seven were accused of propaganda activities against the Islamic order and the establishment of an illegal administration, among other allegations. All the charges were categorically denied.

The letter charts how the prosecutors at the trial of the seven were “ultimately unable to present any credible evidence in support of their claims.” The trial, it observes, “was so devoid of the impartiality that must characterize judicial proceedings as to render the process a complete mockery.” “How was it,” the letter asks in this respect, “that the verdict issued by the judges could refer to the religion of the defendants as a ‘misguided sect’?”

“...what is now starkly visible to all is the willingness of the authorities to trample the very standards of justice they are mandated to uphold on behalf of the peoples of Iran,” the open letter states.

Bani Dugal, the principal representative of the Baha’i International Community to the United Nations says that there was never any foundation to the charges that the seven had acted against the interest of Iran.

“To add to this manifest injustice, the judiciary has not yet formalized the appeal verdict,” says Ms. Dugal, “thus depriving the prisoners of the right to seek bail or to be granted leave from prison.”

“In defiance of all reason, the prisoners are now in the third year of what is still termed a ‘temporary’ detention,” she says.

Appalling conditions

After receiving their sentence, the seven Baha’i leaders - Fariba Kamalabadi, Jamaloddin Khanjani, Afif Naeimi, Saeid Rezaie, Mahvash Sabet, Behrouz Tavakkoli, and Vahid Tizfahm - were moved from Evin Prison to Gohardasht prison in Karaj.

“They are now effectively placed in exile in contravention of Iran's statutes governing the transfer of prison inmates,” says Bani Dugal. “Amongst other indignities, they are forced to endure appalling filth, pestilence, exposure to disease, and quarters so crammed that it is difficult for them to lie down or even to perform their daily prayers.”

“It is clear from recent reports that their health has deteriorated and they have no access to adequate medical treatments,” she said.

Reports of the trial and sentencing of the seven provoked a chorus of condemnation from governments around the world. The European Union and the President of the European Parliament also joined the protest, along with prominent religious leaders, numerous human rights organizations, and countless other groups and individuals.

“We join with governments and well-meaning people throughout the world, as we call upon Iran’s Head of the Judiciary to immediately set these seven innocent Baha’is – and, along with them, all of the Baha’is incarcerated across the country - free,” said Ms. Dugal.

To read the article, and the open letter in English and Persian, go to:
Open letter speaks out for the rights of all Iranians

For the Baha’i World News Service home page, go to:

UN condemns Iran's human rights record...again..

Iran's human rights record condemned by United Nations

UNITED NATIONS, 21 December 2010 (BWNS) – In a vote today, the United Nations once again strongly condemned Iran for failing to live up to international human rights standards.

By a vote of 78 to 45, with 59 abstentions, the UN General Assembly confirmed a resolution that expressed “deep concern at serious ongoing and recurring human rights violations.” In more than two decades of such resolutions about Iran, the vote passed with one of the highest percentages ever.

The resolution specifically expressed concern over Iran’s “intensified crackdown on human rights defenders and reports of excessive use of force, arbitrary detentions, unfair trials and allegations of torture,” as well as its “pervasive gender inequality and violence against women,” and its discrimination against minorities, including members of the Baha’i Faith.

“The world community has clearly spoken. It is outraged at Iran’s continued and intensifying violations of human rights,” said Bani Dugal, the principal representative of the Baha’i International Community to the United Nations.

Welcoming the result Ms. Dugal noted that the resolution documents a wide range of violations, from torture to the oppression of women to the persecution of minorities. “All of this has been going on for too long, and it is high time that Iran pays heed to the call of the international community and complies with the standards of international law,” she said.

The resolution devoted an entire paragraph to Iran’s treatment of members of the Baha’i Faith, cataloging an extensive list of recent anti-Baha’i activities. These included: “increasing evidence of efforts by the State to identify, monitor and arbitrarily detain Baha’is, preventing members of the Baha’i faith from attending university and from sustaining themselves economically, the confiscation and destruction of their property, and the vandalizing of their cemeteries…”

It also expressed concern over the recent trial and sentencing of seven Baha’i leaders, saying they were “repeatedly denied the due process of law.”

Worldwide condemnation

The UN vote has coincided with a renewed protest – from numerous governments, organizations and prominent individuals – at the persecution of Iran’s Baha’is.

In a statement dated 17 December, Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Honorable Lawrence Cannon, reiterated his country’s deep concern at the “ongoing failure of the Iranian authorities to meet their domestic and international legal obligations.”

“The Government of Canada stands firmly with the people of Iran against human rights abuses and discrimination, as well as ill treatment of women and minorities,” said Mr. Cannon.

A number of India’s prominent citizens have also recently called upon Iran to respect its minorities. Among them, former Deputy Prime Minister, L. K. Advani, appealed for justice for the seven imprisoned Baha’i leaders. “The attitude of a country and a nation towards minority religion is the touchstone of how civilized a country it is,” he said on 17 December.

In a debate on freedom of religion in Germany's Parliament, held on 17 December, members of Parliament spoke out on the situation of Baha’is in Iran. Christoph Strässer MP – human rights policy spokesman for the Social Democrats - noted that the Baha’i community, "ever since it was founded, has been dedicated to peace and tolerance..."

Street campaigns about the human rights situation in Iran have been held in the German cities of Frankfurt, Wiesbaden, Mainz and Taunusstein.

“We have gathered here to protest the alarming situation of Baha’is, of human rights in general and the climate of fear that exists for Baha'is, for women, for youth, for bloggers, for journalists,” said Omid Nouripour, MP for Frankfurt, speaking at the event in the city, “and we raise our voices to show the world that the people of Iran need our help.”

Christian Solidarity Worldwide has also called for the release of the Baha’i prisoners. “Clearly the seven Baha’i leaders are being held solely on account of their faith,” said CSW’s Advocacy Director Andrew Johnston on 10 December, “and this contravenes Iran’s international legal obligations.”

In Australia’s parliament last month, members specifically referred to Iran’s discrimination against, and failure to protect the rights of, minorities - including the Baha’i, Sufi, Baluch, and Kurdish communities - as well as the trial and sentencing of the seven Baha’i leaders.

Reports of the 10-year jail terms previously provoked a chorus of condemnation from governments around the world - including Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. The European Union and the President of the European Parliament also joined the protest, along with numerous human rights organizations, other groups and countless individuals.

In its annual International Religious Freedom Report, published in November, the United States Department of State reported that the Iranian government’s respect for religious freedom has continued to deteriorate, creating a “threatening atmosphere for nearly all non-Shi’a religious groups, most notably for Baha'is.”

“The U.S. government has publicly condemned the treatment of the Baha’is in UN resolutions,” said the report.

The most recent United Nations resolution was put forward by 42 co-sponsors and approved in a preliminary form in November by a committee of the General Assembly, also by an overwhelming vote against Iran.

To read the article online, go to:
Iran's human rights record condemned by United Nations

Back