Reading Exodus 20 and 34

zx128k

Seeker
Reaction score
I was reading through exodus and the Ten Commandments, but as I had started reading I kept going. In 32 they are making the golden calf at 32:19 Moses breaks the tablets. But in 34 and the new stone tablets another list appears.

(This is taken from an online source to save me typing)
  1. Worship no other god than Yahweh: Make no covenant with the inhabitants of other lands to which you go, do not intermarry with them, and destroy their places of worship.
  2. Do not make molten idols.
  3. Observe the Feast of Unleavened Bread for seven days in the month of Abib.
  4. Sacrifice firstborn male animals to Yahweh. The firstborn of a donkey may be redeemed; redeem firstborn sons.
  5. Do no work or even kindle a fire on the seventh day. Anyone who does so will be put to death.
  6. Observe the Feast of First Fruits and the Feast of Ingathering: All males are therefore to appear before Yahweh three times each year.
  7. Do not mix sacrificial blood with leavened bread.
  8. Do not let the fat of offerings remain until the morning.
  9. Bring the choicest first fruits of the harvest to the Temple of Yahweh.
  10. Do not cook a goat in its mother's milk.
The question is why are these difference than the Ten Commandments? I alway thought that the ten commandment where written on the tablets but in 24:27 these are written.

Exo 34:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Hew thee two tables of stone like unto the first: and I will write upon these tables the words that were in the first tables, which thou brakest.

Exo 34:27 And the LORD said unto Moses, Write thou these words: for after the tenor of these words I have made a covenant with thee and with Israel.
]

See, in the first text God says he will write the words that were on the first tablets. Then he gives Moses the terms of a covenant and tells Moses to write the words of that covenant. Two different things.

Chris

China Cat Sunflower said:
]

See, in the first text God says he will write the words that were on the first tablets. Then he gives Moses the terms of a covenant and tells Moses to write the words of that covenant. Two different things.

Chris

Note also, the mosaic law is what is nailed to the cross, not the ten commandments (which are still in effect).

China Cat Sunflower said:
O.K. What texts support that position?

Chris

Quite a bit of Hebrews (and almost everything Paul wrote), try Hebrews 9, 10. And many more...

For the sake of discussion.. Here is a quote I found

The late Dr. Walter Martin, founder of the Christian Research Institute and writer of the best selling Kingdom of the Cults, quipped in his usual tongue-in-cheek manner that the Book of Hebrews was written by a Hebrew to other Hebrews telling the Hebrews to stop acting like Hebrews

The whole point of it though is that Christ is the author and finisher of our faith...

Are we having a legalist discussion here?

Faithfulservant said:

The late Dr. Walter Martin, founder of the Christian Research Institute and writer of the best selling Kingdom of the Cults, quipped in his usual tongue-in-cheek manner that the Book of Hebrews was written by a Hebrew to other Hebrews telling the Hebrews to stop acting like Hebrews

The whole point of it though is that Christ is the author and finisher of our faith...

That's funny!:)

Yeah, I guess it's kind of legalistic. Although I think it's a very important point (not wanting to continue killing stuff, smearing blood and all).

Faithfulservant said:

:p That depends on what the definition of "legalistic" is.

Chris

Back