The Theosophical Society – a Raison d’Etre

taijasi

Gnōthi seauton
Reaction score
Since the subject of Theosophy and the Theosophical Society has come up on several posts at CR, and since I’m sure some people have never even heard of Theosophy, I thought it would be helpful to provide one person’s POV on the purpose for modern-day Theosophy and for the original founding of the Theosophical Society some 130 years ago.

The history of the Theosophical Society dates back to the 1860s and earlier. A movement known as Spiritualism (see Wikipedia) had risen to popularity in the 1840s in Western Europe, the UK, and in America, coming forth as a response to the staunch materialism resulting from the Scientific Revolution. The Purpose of Spiritualism, as an inspired religious movement, was twofold. First, there was a need to demonstrate that the scientific method, though a valuable contribution to western society and epistemology, was not the only method whereby we may come to accurate and certain knowledge of ourselves & of the world around us. Second, through the very demonstration of Spiritualist techniques, a definite body of knowledge began to accumulate, specifically concerning the world of life after death … which further emphasized the fact that materialistic science was not adequate as a substitute for other means of legitimate inquiry.

Some might say that Spiritualism has been only partially successful, but I would disagree, noting that the prevalence of Spiritualistic ideas is now well established. Nearly everyone will recognize the word `séance!' The idea of the afterlife and of interaction with the dead has been featured in literally hundreds of Hollywood movies in recent years, and many bookstores feature entire sections on the life after death. The careers of many successful mediums (such as John Edward and James Van Praagh), and also of many legitimate scientists (eg, Gary Schwartz and J. B. Rhine) would not have been possible if not for Spiritualism!

Keep in mind that by the mid 1850s, Spiritualism had become extremely popular in America and the UK! After church and teatime on Sundays, it was as common as backgammon to gather for a séance or "table turning." And it was into this climate of a thinking and curious public – eager for a rational & practical presentation of Spiritual Truths - that the Elder Brothers sent forth Their Messengers, H.P. Blavatsky, Henry Steele Olcott, and William Quan Judge. Through these spiritual Servers the Masters precipitated the first set of Teachings which would form the cornerstone for all that we now call “New Age" ideas. In actuality, these disciples were also laying the foundation for a New World Religion, upon which later Messengers such as Alice Bailey and Helena Roerich would actually begin to erect the Temple! :cool:

H.P. Blavatsky, a Ukrainian by birth, had an eventful and adventurous youth & childhood. Those interested should read her biography. Many biographies exist, both favorable and unbiased, but I strongly advise against those who only slander and distort the truth. The Elder Brothers (or Masters) who chose HPB as their Messenger did so with a full awareness of her shortcomings, yet they chose the most qualified and capable disciple available at the time. To suggest that they failed in selecting wisely would not be unlike suggesting that John the Baptist failed in Announcing the Coming of the Christ. Both Forerunners knew their own role & place, and both were the humble servants of God’s Plan. Certainly neither was perfect – nor did they claim to be!

We can learn from www.blavatksy.net that HPB answered Her Master’s Call to Service after first meeting Him in Hyde Park, London in 1851 at age 20. She attempted to enter Tibet in 1853 and failed, but in 1856-57 she finally gained entrance, via Kashmir, and Ladakh. While there, she met and learned from her own Master, several additional Masters, and a young Arhat who would soon become the Master Djwhal Khul. It was Master DK (The `Tibetan’) who would later dictate much of The Secret Doctrine to HPB, and who also dicated Teachings through Alice Bailey in the 20th Century.

By 1860 Blavatsky had finally learned to harness her psychic and spiritual powers (Sanskrit `siddhis’), although this endeavor brought her severe physical and psychic crises. We know that HPB was wounded at the battle of Mentana (Italy), November 3, 1867, fighting valiantly under Garibaldi’s forces as a soldier … which says something to me of her courage, as well as her honor. In 1868 HPB visited Tibet and India a second time and received additional training from her Master (Morya). Acting on instructions from the latter, HPB sailed for New York, arriving July 7, 1873. She met H.S. Olcott in Chittendon, Vermont in late 1874, while investigating Spiritualistic phenomena. And finally, on Sept. 8, 1875, HPB, HSO, and William Quan Judge (a New York lawyer) founded the Theosophical Society in NY, NY.

Again & again it has been made clear that HPB and her compatriots founded the Theosophical Society of their own accord, and that they also bore the karmic results – both positive & negative – for this action! If we think carefully, a little simple logic & common sense will show that this was entirely necessary, just as fully as it is necessary now for us to continue to build the Temple of the New World Religion upon the foundation that they helped to establish … if indeed we are ever to see the Advent (sic) of the Christ and His Church in the 21st Century.

Truly, much has occurred since 1875, and the building of the Temple to which I refer is a worldwide, cooperative Human endeavor – and by no means the objective of Theosophists or esotericists alone, any more so than it is to be done exclusively by Christians, Muslims, or any other grouping of individuals. Yet sadly, there are those of every religious and philosophical mindset (many Theosophists included) who have come to mistake their own contributions as of inherently unique value & merit, and thus equally mistakenly they attempt to extend some claim upon the very Person and Mission of Him for Whom All the World Awaits.

But worst of all, and of greatest consequence to the otherwise swift Reappearance of Christ and His Masters, is the mistaken notion that Christ will act magically & despite our best efforts, rather than because and in concert with them. No group of Servers is more saddened by this unfortunate attitude than the Christ Himself and His Elect, since it is only within Their Power to answer the Voiced Invocation of a Cooperative & Receptive Humanity … and not to force Themselves upon us ahead of schedule, or against the collective Human karma that has held Them off so effectively & for so long. :(

Knowing full well the nature and the importance of the Work they were attempting, as well as the challenges they would likely face, Blavatsky & the early Theosophists pressed forward. As I say, the Theosophical Society was founded by Blavatsky, Olcott and Judge, and most certainly they accepted responsibility for its karma (and herein lies the greater measure of the true Service they rendered, still largely unappreciated!) … and yet, she founded it at the direct Instruction of the Masters Themselves.

Understandably, this distinction has caused much confusion, both among Theosophists and among those who have attempted to investigate the history of the Society objectively – as well as among those who have chosen to slander HPB and falsely accuse her. Yes, some people have nothing better to do than lash out in such manner, but they unknowingly humiliate themselves in light of their own spiritual principles, or in light of the true dignity of spirit that would otherwise flourish within them! :(

HPB’s life, and those of many a true Theosophist, have been nothing but exemplary instances of the struggles which we all must face (as disciples) if we are brave enough to seek to embody these principles (or their corollaries) within ourselves.
And what are these Principles? They can best be understood in light of the Three Objects of the Theosophical Society itself:
  1. To form a nucleus of the universal brotherhood of humanity, without distinction of race, creed, sex, caste, or color.
  2. To encourage the comparative study of religion, philosophy, and science.
  3. To investigate unexplained laws of nature and the powers latent in humanity.
Object One is placed in position of greatest importance, and if this entire post could be summarized into one word, it would be BROTHERHOOD. This word is certainly meant as one of utmost Inclusivity, relating to the entire Human Family, and this is made evident in the first object, as clarified in the words that follow – “without distinction of … etc.”

Object Two is one that I hope every member and veteran poster at CR understands well enough to warrant no explanation. Did you realize that CR is thoroughly Theosophical in fulfilling this 2nd Object, and admirably so? :)

Discussions at CR also help to embody the Third Object, while such Movements as Spiritualism have done quite the same. Theosophy has taken this several steps farther, through the provision of New Teachings from the Masters of the Wisdom (the Great Ones, or Elder Brothers, called Mahatmas, or `Great Souls,' in the early days of the TS). Some of the Masters’ Teachings do draw heavily on Sanskrit terminology and on an Eastern worldview, because at the time there was very little in the American public consciousness that resonated with the ideas that needed seeding! Other than a growing interest in Spiritualism, and the life after death, the Masters were dealing largely with unplowed soil … and thus HPB had the added responsibility of "tilling" this soil of the popular consciousness so that the seeds of Wisdom could be sown.

My own analysis is that the Theosophical Society was/is literally an incarnation of the Love Aspect of God, inasmuch as a Human organization could so embody these energies in 1875, with the important caveat that the Wisdom aspect (of Love-Wisdom) might be said to predominate (in most members). And my belief is that the Masters knew and intended this … yet it also meant that They took upon Themselves the additional responsibility of accepting a limited number of (qualified) disciples from amidst the ranks of those whom HPB gathered into her fold. In a very real sense, she assisted in recruiting some of the very disciples who would later make extraordinary and significant contributions of their own … both to Theosophical heritage, and more importantly, to Humanity itself. :)

So again, to reiterate, the Theosophical Society was founded primarily to help advance and embody the Spirit of Brotherhood among Humanity, and to help form the Groundwork for the Coming Reappearance of the Christ. In this role it was by no means unique, although some of the avant-garde members, or elder souls, among Humanity were certainly “gathered in” at the time – and since – under this great energetic Spiritual impulse.

The objective of comparative study of religion, philosophy & science ensured that the heart of Theosophical endeavor would be an attempt to LIFT the focus of human consciousness away from and out of the astral-emotional plane, wherein glamour & distortion tend to condition the presentation of spiritual Truths as found within the many (exoteric) world religions. By no means did this mean that Theosophists would be free of this glamour per se, nor have they been. Alice Bailey's writings point out that the various branches & divisions of the original Theosophical Society are not free of the same petty squabbling and territorial nonsense that dominates organized religion. Certainly this is unfortunate, and diminishes the contribution that might otherwise be made, but such are often the shortcomings of the would-be followers ... :eek:

Lastly, we should not forget the valuable contributions made by Theosophists and by the TS itself over the years along the lines of psychic research. The writings of Geoffrey Hodson alone are enough to prove the Society along these lines, but those of Dora Kunz, Charles Leadbeater, Annie Besant, and George Arundale also warrant special recognition. Our understanding of our psychic and higher spiritual abilities - certain knowledge for some, a hopeful & curious prospect for others - would not be what it is, where it not for their endeavors.

As a former member of the Theosophical Society ... I would be happy to answer any questions that people have, or to dialogue along these lines.

Regards,

Taijasi

Taijasi,

You obviously hold the Theosophical Society in great respect. Many the time reading of your direction towards them. And being aware life moves on..............But would you be willing to express why you are now a former member?

peace and light

- c -

Ciel said:
Taijasi,

You obviously hold the Theosophical Society in great respect. Many the time reading of your direction towards them. And being aware life moves on..............But would you be willing to express why you are now a former member?

peace and light

- c -
Thank you, Ciel.

As for my choice to leave the TS, yes, I would be happy to share! I only hope it does not sound too trivial. ;)

All throughout college I kept up my dues to the Society (which are quite nominal, only a few dollars a year). And yet, even in my first year of college I had been introduced to the Teachings of Alice Bailey, and belonged to a study & meditation group which used her work as the principle focus and inspiration to Service.

The Theosophical writings were well known to probably most every member of that Group (called at the time The Center for World Servers, in Asheville, NC). And most of the members also had a background similar to mine (including Theosophical Society membership I would imagine), except that where I had been associated with Theosophy for years, they had been familiar for decades.

I like to think that the collective Wisdom even of that small group was immeasurable, as certainly its Love for Humanity and willingness to Serve was unmatched in any of my prior experiences. This was a period of greatest awakening for me ... these years of college, and of graduate school that would follow. What was going on outside, and in the life of the lower mind in terms of formal education, was finding its complement in an inner kindling of the fires of Spirit - and the Call to Service was sounding clarion within my heart and meditative mind. It is not that my gradual awakening and answer to that call in any way contrasted with the Theosophical Teachings which had first interested me.

Truly, these Teachings were the Key for me, as they have been for many, and by turning it, I found that a door opened onto a whole new terrace ... which I had earlier only dimly envisioned & understood. Yet to walk through, and to look around and begin to appreciate the beauty, the wonder, and the reality of the spiritual world(s) was to recognize that Theosophy came forth on an earlier impulse of energies, and while this was New Revelation for me in one sense, it was also just the "first installment" of a Renewed Effort on the part of Christ and the Masters to establish a new relationship with all of Humanity.

H.P. Blavatsky made it clear that another disciple would come after her, in the 20th Century, to carry on her work. Blavatsky's writings were ground-breaking, and the early decades of the Theosophical Society was a necessary preparation for laying the foundation of the New World Religion. Yet it is only fitting to look at Alice Bailey's writings (1919-1949) as the foundation itself - in terms of one, core set of esoteric Teachings. They were given at the behest the Christ Himself as instrumental for the New World Religion, and are regarded as the "2nd Installment" of the modern revival of the Ancient Wisdom. All this is preparatory to the Christ's Reappearance, and is vital to a proper understanding of the nature of His work in the Aquarian Age.

Alice Bailey's teachings find greatest application in helping us to be of practical Service to the Christ and the Masters, assuming we are willing to consciously tread the long & difficult path of Discipleship. I would respectfully commend the lyrics of the song `Pilgrim,' by Enya, as indicative of the true nature of the path of Service and of self-unfoldment, as understood by Theosophists and students of Alice Bailey. The reason I prefer to consult Bailey's writings more often than Blavatsky's, is that they resonate with me more deeply as the kind of occult instruction which disciples presently need.

Included in A Treatise on White Magic (by Alice Bailey), for example, are 15 Rules for Discipleship, which I know I will spend the rest of this lifetime (and probably several more) attempting to master. A much more advanced study would be Rays and Initiations, which builds upon the Tibetan Master's earlier book, Initiation Human and Solar. In `Rays,' the Tibetan completes a Five Volume Treatise on the Seven Rays which included earlier works on Esoteric Astrology, Esoteric Healing, and Esoteric Psychology vols. I & II. `Rays' brings us up to date with the new method of Group Initiation whereby Disciples advance as Groups, rather than as individuals, in the New Era.

This method of Group Initiation is an entirely new approach, and is altogether unknown in the writings of Blavatsky and most Theosophical authors, largely owing to changes that took place only in the 20th Century and after WWII. The book A Treatise on Cosmic Fire is almost 1300 pages of some of the most technical esoteric Teaching that has ever been given to Humanity, and is described by the Tibetan as being the "psychological key" to his earlier work, The Secret Doctrine, written through H.P. Blavatsky. These Teachings, he points out, are not meant simply for disciples or aspirants to discipleship. They are also useful for Initiates, and can only be fully & properly understood by men and women of Initiatic consciousness ... (an example of this can be found here, and on the succeeding page, in Initiation Human and Solar, in a section on `The Revelation of the Presence.')

Alice Bailey's Teachings, and those of other Masters, through their Messengers, do not render the earlier teachings null & void by any means ... save in those few instances where, simply put, the facts have changed! So many people would look for a frozen, static Truth, as if the very Voice of God was somehow incapable of speaking more words into Creation ... and we know good & well, that this just isn't true! ;)

Okay, that's the long answer! :p Hope it makes sense ...

Love and Light,

taijasi

If you understand half of what Blavatsky or Alice Bailey are talking about you're a light year ahead of me, my friend! I read that really thick book by Perucker, de Peruker...something like that. I got through that O.K., but Blavatsky, yikes...no wonder it's called the Secret Doctrine. The secret is nobody can bloody understand it!:)

I sorta started with Theosophy, but I pretty quickly moved over to western hermetics. Never had any interest in doing ceremonial magic, though. Guess I'm not a sixth ray type personality.

Chris

China Cat Sunflower said:
If you understand half of what Blavatsky or Alice Bailey are talking about you're a light year ahead of me, my friend! I read that really thick book by Perucker, de Peruker...something like that. I got through that O.K., but Blavatsky, yikes...no wonder it's called the Secret Doctrine. The secret is nobody can bloody understand it!:)

I sorta started with Theosophy, but I pretty quickly moved over to western hermetics. Never had any interest in doing ceremonial magic, though. Guess I'm not a sixth ray type personality.

Chris
Wow, I'd be interested in your thoughts/opinions/commentary on Purucker, Chris. I have one rather hefty volume of his, perhaps the one you mentioned - and I'll be honest, I couldn't make much headway! :p

Truthfully, I find HPB much easier to read, but you see - it depends on which section, of which book, about which topic, and if I may be quite plain, which Mahatma (!) was dictating! I think I could probably post sketches of the half dozen or so individuals who dictated to HPB, even though it's said that The Tibetan (by The Tibetan!) did most of it.

Perhaps part of the difficulty has to do with the precise Nature of the Masters' consciousness, although we know They do all share a sort of "continuum, or Collective, of consciousness," maybe even something vaguely similar to the "Q Continuum" from Star Trek (where Purpose, Responsibility, and Perfect Compassion reign supreme, rather than mere shenanigans or tomfoolery :rolleyes:). It is made quite clear that, literally, to speak with or address one Master, is also to address every other. Their consciousness, supra-personally, is non-dual.

But Master Morya, the Rajput soldier-like presence ... is quite a different Individual - than say, Master KH, a Kashmiri Brahmin, whose Loving Aura is often spoken of as being surpassed only by that of the Christ Himself ... and the Tibetan, although a Master on the Love-Wisdom Ray just as His own Teacher, KH, seems to communicate a definite 5th sub-Ray quality in His Teachings through Alice, as also in many sections of The Secret Doctrine. Presumably, the Wisdom portion of the 2nd Ray of Love-Wisdom predominates in His makeup, although it is often pointed out that a Master is a Master of ALL SEVEN Rays.

The quotation Blavatsky provides (originally Montaigne's) at the beginning of The Secret Doctrine says something about the content:
I have here made only a nosegay of culled flowers, and have brought nothing of my own but the string that ties them.
I, for one, believe her. And yet, certainly HPB and H.S. Olcott had the stupendous task of arranging, editing, and most carefully preparing the material which had been communicated to her in the authoring of The SD. The "string," therefore, does occasionally attract my attention ... and yes, even distract me a bit.

But then, Blavatsky's native tongue was Russian, or Ukrainian! I think people may be apt to forget this, especially when they rush to criticize, or accuse her of fraudulence, or of fabricating the Masters. HPB learned much of her English directly FROM - the Master KH (!), while living in Their Community in Tibet! A short account of one of her experiences (related in the 1st person) even details this! It is a brief, and interesting read ...

For the record, the following commentary by The Tibetan, in a section called `The Books,' at the back of Alice Bailey's Autobiography, has a few things to say about ties between Alice, HPB, and the Masters. The Tibetan makes matters most clear:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"Initiation, Human and Solar was intended to bring the fact of the Hierarchy to public attention. This had been done by H.P.B. by inference and statement but not in any sequential form. The Theosophical Society had taught the fact of the Masters, though H.P.B. (in her communications to the Esoteric Section) stated that she bitterly regretted so doing. This teaching was misinterpreted by the later theosophical leaders and they made certain basic mistakes. The Masters Whom they portrayed were characterized by an impossible infallibility because the Masters are Themselves evolving. The teaching given endorsed an engrossing interest in self-development and an intense focusing on personal unfoldment and liberation. The people who were indicated as initiates and senior disciples were entirely mediocre people with no influence outside the Theosophical Society itself. Complete devotion to the Masters was also emphasized - devotion to Their personalities, and these Masters were also shown as interfering with the organization life of the various occult groups which claimed to be working under Their direction. They were made responsible for the mistakes of the leaders of the groups who took refuge under such statements as: The Master has instructed me to say, etc., the Master wants the following work to be done, or the Master wants the membership to do thus and so. Those who obeyed were regarded as good members; those who refused to be interested and obedient were looked upon as renegades. The freedom of the individual was constantly infringed and the weaknesses and ambitions of the leaders were alibied. Knowing all this well, A.A.B. refused to be a party to any such constantly recurring activity, for such is the history of practically all the known occult groups which attract the attention of the public. Even had I wanted to work in such a way (which no one affiliated with the Hierarchy ever does), I would have found no collaboration from her."
[/FONT]​
But back to The S.D., frankly, I recommend the Abridgement! I haven't looked at it for awhile, but mostly I use my Centennial Edition of The SD for reference, or simply access it online, or by CD. It is a difficult book to just sit down and read.

Oh, and Ceremonial Magic is the 7th Ray, Manly Hall and the like. I tell ya, this is fairly challenging stuff for me. I've resonated much more easily with the Eastern ideas so prevalent within popularized Theosophy, although certainly, if one pursues The S.D., I think the hand of Master Hilarion (5th Ray, Science, a Greek Master), Master Rakoczy (7th Ray, Hungarian), Mastery Serapis (4th, the Arts, an Egyptian Master), et al, can probably be discerned. HPB isn't, after all, just recapitulating Esoteric Buddhism, even when The Tibetan is dictating!

My own Rays, as best I can discern them, are 6th Soul, 4th personality ... 5th mind, 2nd emotional, 7th or 3rd physical. We have plenty of Ray 6 at CR, sweeping through the Xianity forums often enough, though rather adroitly blended, by some, with its complement, Love-Wisdom, Ray 2. The Da Vinci Code, of course, is quite a strong 7th-Ray endeavor, also with rays 5 & 4, as best I can tell. This actually resonates more with the Catholic Church's 2nd-Ray ... than with Protestantism's 6th-Ray, but then, it's the ideas more than anything else that are really what's on stage.

Bah, I know, this has nothing to do with the Theosophical Society ... :rolleyes: ... silly me, it's 4am! Brain just gave out ...

taijasi

Very interesting posts - thanks for those. :)

What do you think of the TS's search for a Jesus figure for the 20th century? Would you say this was a pretty instutional search from the beginning, or is more a case of certain members within TS loking for it, and dragging the TS with it?

Simply that I've read with interest some of the earlier history of Krishnamurti, not least Leadbeater's declaration that K was the messiah, and the TS's apparent support for this until K renounced the TS.

I said:
Very interesting posts - thanks for those. :)

What do you think of the TS's search for a Jesus figure for the 20th century? Would you say this was a pretty instutional search from the beginning, or is more a case of certain members within TS loking for it, and dragging the TS with it?

Simply that I've read with interest some of the earlier history of Krishnamurti, not least Leadbeater's declaration that K was the messiah, and the TS's apparent support for this until K renounced the TS.
I can tell you my own opinion, although it doesn't differ much from what I think many students of Alice Bailey would say. This topic, of Krishnamurti and the so-called "World Teacher Project" of the TS early 20th Century has been of great interest to me for perhaps a year or more. I found myself visiting the University Library to research it, and I printed off numerous articles from the New York Times (etc.) detailing Jiddu K.'s visit to America in - 1924, I think.

I have read a number of commentaries, some from Theosophical authors, some from esotericists, some from skeptics. I have a couple old cassette tapes of Krishnamurit's philosophy, maybe even a book somewhere. But I must say, I never got really into his `Truth is a Pathless Land.' And although I do think I have understood some of what Krishnaji had to say, I'm afraid much of his thought is far beyond me - and perhaps beyond most! This was precisely the problem ...

There is much research posted online at Alpheus.org, including excerpts from the work of Cyril Scott, author of The Initiate series, regarding this issue. David Anrias, a friend of Scott's and a fellow student of the Masters, had much to say, and there is also a published statement of the Christ (not of the Master Jesus) ... on this subject. I referenced it in another post, but it can be found reproduced online in its entirety, here.

One book that I might recommend, which clearly goes into the greatest depth on this subject - quite so from the angle of an esoteric astrologer (such as David Anrias, above) in the Bailey tradition - is called `Initiations of Krishnamurti: An Astrological Biography,' by Phillip Lindsay. It sells for US $20 or $25, and although I have not read Lindsay's works, I damn near ordered his books on Shamballa Impacts and Masters of the Seven Rays (Their Past Lives and Reappearance) just last night. Lindsay also runs the website at www.esotericastrologer.org, which I highly recommend for anyone curious about the deeper, or more esoteric aspects of the new (yet Ancient) astrology. Most of it is way over my head, but I know quite a few of the people who have contributed, having been in meditation/study groups with some over the years.

The most relevant excerpt from the Christ's Message via Anrias (above), is the following, from `Through the Eyes of the Masters':
"You who have studied the horoscope of Krishnamurti know that he is incapable of compromising with the past; also that he was reinforced in his seemingly destructive work by those great Devas of the Air, who, under direction of the Lords of Karma, are helping Man to polarize himself towards spiritual rather than material conquests.

In order to co-operate more completely with the Devas, Krishnamurti took initiations along their line of evolution. The essential nature of these Devas, used as agents of the Great Law, being perforce impersonal and detached, it came by degrees to influence his whole point of view, making him appear unsympathetic and even inhuman. Furthermore, since he had attained these initiations in the causal body by a positive effort of consciousness, it became all but impossible for him to be used any longer as my medium."
In short, I think this says it all. The nature of the overshadowing that was being prepared was very much so a parallel, or modern update, of what happened 2100 years ago in Palestine. However, things went a different direction entirely ... and the individual (`Alcyone,' Krishnamurti the Soul) chose an incompatible line of spiritual unfoldment relative to the extremely precise requirements of the Christ (for a `vehicle').

In a historical context, the Theosophical Society had done everything to promote the understanding, adapted for the West, of the Universal expectancy of a Messiah. And[SIZE=-1] the finding of Krishnamurti by Bishop Leadbeater, viewed esoterically, can hardly be looked at as "coincidence." He (CWL) speaks of having noticed the boy's extraordinary aura, clairvoyantly, and having brought him to the Master KH's attention. Should this order of events in any way represent actuality, I hope that sensible (or knowledgable) people would not for a moment believe that Krishnaji's future role would have been unknown to Christ and to Master KH (Himself a Chohan, or Lord of the Dharma) ... until Leadbeater "tipped them off." :rolleyes:

No offense to CWL or the TS, but this is precisely the kind of misunderstanding which I think gives the Mahatmas a bad name - the notion that They are an incompetent bunch of uneducated, folksy humbugs, steeped in the superstitions of their own religious traditions, and somehow prey to the terrible glamour of personality-worship which characterizes the spiritual life of so, so many devotees ... and has its inevitable repercussions and evocative effect on the otherwise-sound humility of the recipient of this veneration, the Teacher in question. The Masters, Jesus included, are utterly unmoved and unphased by such gushing sentimentality, whether it be a Christian, a Theosophist, a Muslim, or yet the most devout and pious Buddhist or Hindu who has prostrated himself before Them! Still, that being said, consider Henry Steel Olcott's own words about one of many, many meetings in the flesh between himself and/or HPB, and her own Master(s) ...
[/SIZE]
"[On July 15, Mahatma Morya] visited me in the flesh at Bombay, coming in full daylight, and on horseback. He had me called by a servant into the front room of HPB’s bungalow (she being at the time in the other bungalow talking with those who were there). He came to scold me roundly for something I had done in TS matters, and as HPB was also to blame, he telegraphed to her to come, that is to say, he turned his face and extended his finger in the direction of the place she was in. She came over at once with a rush and, seeing him, dropped on her knees and paid him reverence." (source, HPB's Collected Works, I think) [would any of us have responded any different???]
I find it nearly impossible to consider the high spiritual vibrations we're considering to even imagine for a moment what it must be like to be "within the Master's aura" for even a few minutes, far let alone an extended period of time. It is made clear that this would be enough to shatter an aura, quite literally, were the disciple not prepared. This ... is what the many, many lifetimes on the path of Aspiration and `Probation' (Pledged as opposed to Accepted Discipleship) are all about! And THIS is why the Masters cannot and do not, simply appear physically, out of thin air, and waltz around "putting things right," so to speak. I mean, of course, we'd futz them up again without a moment's hesitation, besides the obvious question of karma ... yet people really do not stop and think about the tremendous power of the vibrations of even an Arhat, let alone a Master of the Wisdom.

The Christ, then, Whose own vibrations - like the Buddha's - are infinitely more powerful and tremendous than those of the Teachers ... could only have chosen a "vehicle" ... a medium, so to speak, whose own vibration might possibly be capable of sustaining His own, at least for short periods of time, and the very idea of meeting with so suitable an instrument, or disciple/Initiate capable of making the necessary sacrifices (as was the Initiate Jesus) ... was quite unlikely in the early 20th Century. I believe He (the Christ, and the entire Lodge of Masters) was making an "early attempt" (more in a bit) ...

Again, Christ's own commentary (at Alpheus.org) clears this up fairly directly. And what is said about Krishnaji's taking Devic Initiations is corroborated, independently, by Geoffrey Hodson, the Tibetan Master, and additional Masters who are mentioned in Cyril Scott's `Initiate in the Dark Cycle.' TWO entire chapters from the latter book are also online at Alpheus, since this is a question/problem/Mystery that still needs clearing up, some 75 years later! These chapters are called `Krishnamurti: A Problem,' and `The Truth About Krishnamurti.' I highly recommend reading them, because it will be apparent that neither the author, nor the Masters who are speaking, display the slightest bias or judgment (as if this were even possible in the latter case!).

The episode with Leadbeater and Besant, Krishnaji and the TS, and the Order of the Star, is really unfortunate in many ways, and confusing. The worst of the harm is that it was a harsh blow to many who had come to pour out their devotions upon Krishnaji, believing Him to be the vehicle of the World Teacher, The Christ. And for what it's worth, They were RIGHT in their understanding, essentially, as Jiddu K. was preparing for this role, up until at least 1925.

Without entering into details of esoteric astrology - most of which I am ignorant of, anyway! - it is clear enough that every 50 years, the Spiritual Brotherhood, or Lodge of Masters, makes a "PUSH" in terms of advancing the Divine Plan upon the Planet. This occurred in 1825, and led to the Spiritualistic Movement and other efforts, culminating in 1875 with the Founding of the TS, plus the publishing of HPB's Isis Unveiled, and also with Master DK's own 5th Initiation (such advancement occurs rarely within Humanity/Hierarchy ... consider that Jesus took only the 4th at His moment of Renunciation 2100 years ago!). Anyway, the new Centennial Effort found its emphasis in 1925, and thus it is not surprising that during that year, when energies were at their greatest - when the "Will of the Father's House" (Shamballa) makes its strongest impact esoterically - Krishnaji "buckled," so to speak. He did advance, yet he did not keep his vibration in line with the Lord Maitreya's.

I do not possess the astrological knowledge or certainty to say without a doubt that Christ's earlier efforts with Krishnamurti were truly that much ahead of schedule. But to simplify things, I do believe that His actions, His choice to go through with the "project" - was most likely an early response (viewed spiritually, from a timeless point of view) to the coming conflict which Humanity itself was precipitating, and which had already resulted in World War I, and would soon culminate in WWII. Hierarchy views this as one conflict, and it is a recapitulation of the ancient disaster during Atlantis, wherein the Masters (Christ and all) were in essence, banished ... driven out of objective manifestation and forced to work behind the scenes - until today. Krishnaji helped us to get that much more back on track, and to combat those who oppose God's Plan for spiritual evolution. He made a tremendous commitment & sacrifice, and it proved more than he could handle, or handle correctly. I can certainly relate.

Nor do I fault the TS, Leadbeater and Besant, for they too, were doing as best as they knew how. They did not have HPB's clarity, or the same rapport with the Masters (although they were the disciples of the latter, and were under Their guidance, as much as possible). Mistakes were made, the sentamentalist-devotionary approach was allowed to rule out over intellect, over sound reasoning, and over a detachment that is necessary in the Spiritual Work. Annie Besant was much too forgiving and overcome by glamour and by disappointment to understand the breadth and depth of what was occurring with Krishnaji during and after his "falling away." And I think the same is true of Leadbeater, for the most part.

It is made clear that - sadly, upon rejecting the Masters, and upon determining that he was traveling a "Pathless Land," Jiddu K. was no longer interested in learning from his Teacher(s). He had not attained Buddhahood, Christhood (Bodhisattvahood), Chohanship, or Mastership. He had attined the arhat initiation, and it still remained for him to cross the most difficult bridge of all. His choices forced a temporary hiatus in his own consciousness from the Masters, and that makes him a bit of a lost sheep. But it is, only temporary ... and one would expect his next incarnation to be one of atonement, of the utmost in selfless Service to the Race, and also one in which the star Alcyone shines out as brightly overhead, and burns stronger within his heart, as e'er before. Compassion will balance with Wisdom, and he shall gain his Mastery ...

taijasi

I have a great deal of admiration for Krishnamurti for walking away. I don't think it was a mistake at all. Reading his book The Awakening of Intelligence blew me away, and it was a huge catylist for me in choosing the direction of my own quest.

Chris

I have a great deal of admiration for Krishnamurti for walking away. I don't think it was a mistake at all. Reading his book The Awakening of Intelligence blew me away, and it was a huge catylist for me in choosing the direction of my own quest.

Chris
Well, I do not say that he didn't have his reasons. I do not say that his philosphy is without merit, or of no use. What is said (in one of the two chapters I posted links to) is that he began to preach an older form of Advaita Dualism from an earlier incarnation. Some folks can grok this, but I'm sure as heck not one of them, and neither were a great many of those who had come to look to Krishnaji as the World Teacher. I mean, just imagine if Jesus had started up to the Mount of Olives, had lifted his hand to begin his great Sermon - and then, had just stopped, and suddenly said, "Wait a minute folks, I don't buy this. Nevermind! I QUIT! But hey, come round the house later and I'll tell y'all some different stuff." Ummm ... :eek: :(

Yes, some don't see it this way. But I do. The question we have to ask it - what led to Krishnaji's choice? And I think David Anrias talks about that, and gives very good psychological reasons that explain what happened, even without going into the astrology of it all. Again, it doesn't invalidate what K. said - but from a Theosophical POV, and as an esotericist, I cannot but understand things in light of what I believe was actually going on.

One disciple (Viola) presents it like this, in Cyril Scott's Initiate in the Dark Cycle:
"I don't, personally, Fifty Krishnamurtis couldn't biff the idea of the Masters that we got from Chris, and before that from J. M. H. ... I'm thinking of the poor wretches who were trained on similar lines, perhaps, but may not have quite our bulldog tenacity for holding on. They've been taught, too, that the Masters are their Elder Bothers, lovingly trying to guide them into 'union with the Infinite at ever higher and higher levels ...' as old Leadbeater says somewhere. And then Krishnamurti comes along and tells them that Masters are only crutches; so they chuck away their crutches, totter a few steps, perhaps, in search of his 'Liberation,' and fall to the ground. Does he offer to give them wings instead of crutches, or even to show them how to grow wings for themselves! Not he! He isn't enough of a psychologist to tell them where to begin. He'd prescribe the same recipe all round: What I have done you can do. ... no account taken of individual limitations of Karma or grades of evolution or anything. Chris--she knew that no two people can he handled the same way; that was the secret of her success with individuals; she never handed out castor oil indiscriminately to the whole class."
As I say, Krishnaji is just too deep for me! I'm not a Vedantin ...

cheers,

taijasi

I don't know anything about any of that stuff Taj. I read Krishnamurtis stuff, I liked it and found it refreshingly simple and unadorned. A crutch is whatever you make it. I'm not devotee material so I probably can't empathise adequately with the letdown Krishnamurti caused. The whole Ascended Masters/Elder Brothers thing is way too complicated and involved for me, but that's just me.

Chris

The whole Ascended Masters/Elder Brothers thing is way too complicated and involved for me, but that's just me.

Chris
Absolutely ... or rather, I don't think it's complicated - but it's way, way distorted. It's personality-worship, devotion in the excess, and doesn't bring one any closer to the Masters, or to the Christ within, than Jesus-worship does. None of the Great Ones ever said, "worship me." Ahh, but who are we to let that stop us, right? :p

taijasi

taijasi said:
Absolutely ... or rather, I don't think it's complicated - but it's way, way distorted. It's personality-worship, devotion in the excess, and doesn't bring one any closer to the Masters, or to the Christ within, than Jesus-worship does. None of the Great Ones ever said, "worship me." Ahh, but who are we to let that stop us, right? :p

taijasi

Well, that's the rub isn't it? I mean...the idolitrization (is that a word?) of the spiritual hierarchy. Let's make idols out of them, it's good for the candle making biz. I understand about submitting to instruction (even though it makes me antsy), but at some point you've got to kill the Buddha. Amassing knowlege gets to be addictive, but it's so digital, and you can climb into a system of thought so far that you have no real life left, and life is the real teacher.

I just can't go all the way. Life may be an illusion, but there's no reason we can't have fun with the illusion. There's no guarantee that what comes after is going to be any better. Plus, ther's magic going on all around us, so there's no good reason to stick our heads in a bucket and look for a "spiritual" out that denies our existence.

I don't know if that has anything to do with what you said. Oh well...

Chris

Well, that's the rub isn't it? I mean...the idolitrization (is that a word?) of the spiritual hierarchy. Let's make idols out of them, it's good for the candle making biz. I understand about submitting to instruction (even though it makes me antsy), but at some point you've got to kill the Buddha. Amassing knowlege gets to be addictive, but it's so digital, and you can climb into a system of thought so far that you have no real life left, and life is the real teacher.

I just can't go all the way. Life may be an illusion, but there's no reason we can't have fun with the illusion. There's no guarantee that what comes after is going to be any better. Plus, ther's magic going on all around us, so there's no good reason to stick our heads in a bucket and look for a "spiritual" out that denies our existence.

I don't know if that has anything to do with what you said. Oh well...

Chris
Chris, it has everything to do with it, and you're right-on! I know it, as a matter of fact, because SAM ADAMS just told me so ... in no uncertain terms. :D

Here, I love this quote (it's so embarrassing, because it's so perfect for me) ...
Even a donkey can carry a library on it's back. :rolleyes:
cheers,

taijasi

Thanks for the reply, Taj - very much appreciated. :)

Tajasi,

Reciprocal with respect and love...........

This life traversed the Mysteries, as self and other. One dies many times to be reborn. Ultimately it is only when one drops the knowledge that there is freedom in wholeness and divinity. Knowledge is transformed to wisdom and grace. And the joy of once more living in life.

You a donkey, no never.
I would see you as a man on a white stallion finding his way.

More peace, more light, more love.

- c -

Ciel said:
Tajasi,

Reciprocal with respect and love...........

This life traversed the Mysteries, as self and other. One dies many times to be reborn. Ultimately it is only when one drops the knowledge that there is freedom in wholeness and divinity. Knowledge is transformed to wisdom and grace. And the joy of once more living in life.

You a donkey, no never.
I would see you as a man on a white stallion finding his way.

More peace, more light, more love.

- c -
Thank you Ciel, et al, for those thoughts, prayers, and vote of confidence. And thank goodness that horse knows how to pick me up each time I fall off ... ;)

Love and Light,

taijasi

Back