Do you think the world will end in 234 years?

Dondi

Reaction score
Remember the craze that occurred as the year 2000 approached with all the prophets of doom anticipated the end of the world, and your computer, as the clocked ticked to December 31, 1999, 11:59?

I'd been thinking that perhaps we had our focus on the wrong calendar. According to the Jewish calendar, the current year (2006) is 5766 years from the creation of Adam. If we are to believe that to God a thousand years is a day and a day is a thousand years, that means we are on the 6th day and 234 years away from the day of rest. Can mankind last that long?

Just a thought.

Right now I believe that most people are concerned about just getting by June 6, 2006 ( 6-6-06). Superstition reigns supreme in a world that is this self-obsessed and frenzied.

But I think that your post illuminates something important to the Judeo-Christian faiths. In fact I learned in my readings that days were really months and months were really years. So opinions regarding the meaning of ancient numerological conundrums can differ appreciably depending upon the sources of knowledge one accesses.

flow....:)

I had thought the reference for day was 'a time' but worry about humans lasting 234 years...not an issue...and the world coming to an end...not an issue for me...

I think we are each ordained to live for today, whether we do that wisely or not is upto us.... tomorrow may or may not happen, but we do right now is what always counts the most.

wil said:
I had thought the reference for day was 'a time' but worry about humans lasting 234 years...not an issue...and the world coming to an end...not an issue for me...

I think we are each ordained to live for today, whether we do that wisely or not is upto us.... tomorrow may or may not happen, but we do right now is what always counts the most.

Amen, wil. I'm not worried about the end of the world. Frankly, it doesn't really matter for, youright, we ought to live for today and let tomorrow take care of itself. I only brought it up as a topic of discourse.

My point is that if God does have a timeline, I would think, especially if there are prophetic events involving Israel, that it would make better sense to consider a Jewish perspective when comtemplating the advent of the Messiah or the end of the world, that is if one believes in this sort of thing. How many people have set dates to the Second Coming that has yet to occur that have had their base on the Gregorian calendar? That calendar wasn't even decreed until 1582 A.D. by Pope Gregory XIII and it supposedly centered on Jesus' birth, but was apparently off anyway as most scholars put Jesus' birth 4 to 6 years prior.

Back