Sola Scriptura

RubySera_Martin

Reaction score
On another thread someone raised the question of the sola scriptura doctrine, and felt it makes no sense. It makes sense to me insofar as it originated with Luther (I think) in a time and situation where the common people were not allowed to read the Bible but had to trust what the priests said. Another very important part of the context was the things people had to do, such as buy indulgences and do penance, etc. to get into heaven. I'm not Lutheran and know only the bits and pieces I've heard my classmates and teachers say, but I understand that in this context it was a liberation from mandatory obedience to doctrines of men i.e. priests and popes. In today's context, esp. my own because I come out of a very legalistic community, it makes sense insofar as we don't have to live the right lifestyle or get the right education or whatever the various fundamentalist groups decide "proves" one's validity as a Christian. Hmmm. Maybe I am mixing up this concept with another major Lutheran concept of salvation comes "through faith alone through grace alone." Maybe others can explain it better.

I failed to mention--I think Luther's point was that the people can read the Bible for themselves; they don't have to depend on the church's interpretation. I sort of think, and I also came across this idea in the literature, that he did not think this one through to its logical conclusion; the Bible can be taken in countless ways, and countless churches have come into existence because people read the Bible for themselves. Should we go back to not reading the Bible? I hope not!

RubySera_Martin said:
the Bible can be taken in countless ways, and countless churches have come into existence because people read the Bible for themselves. Should we go back to not reading the Bible? I hope not!
This is what I meant when I said it does not make sense. I totally agree that we each should read the Bible for ourselves, but I also think it makes sense to do so 'in the light of tradition.' This does not mean that the only understanding is the Church's understanding, but since Tradition represents 2000 years of thinking about the Bible I think that's going to be a lot deeper, more insightful, and more penetrating than whatever I could come up with on my own. So we need to do both, read for ourselves and also think about doctrine. We have a personal relationship with God and we also have a community relationship with each other.

You can get some pretty strange things out of following your very own isolated path in studying the Bible.

luna

RubySera_Martin said:
Strange by whose standards? What's the criteria for correct understanding of scripture? How do you know?

Hi Juantoo!
Well, strangeness certainly is in the eyes of the beholder. :D And I don't really care when someone has their very own, very different understanding of scripture, that is up to the day when they start carrying an uzi in the name of God...or starting a little apocalyptic church and leading some poor souls down a path of lunacy or suicide.

Q: what do you mean by not burning any bridges?

luna

lunamoth said:
Well, strangeness certainly is in the eyes of the beholder. :D And I don't really care when someone has their very own, very different understanding of scripture, that is up to the day when they start carrying an uzi in the name of God...or starting a little apocalyptic church and leading some poor souls down a path of lunacy or suicide.

Q: what do you mean by not burning any bridges?

luna

When one starts declaring they have all the answers and everyone else is wrong, Luna, bridges begin to burn. That is not the purpose here at CR., and not the purpose in the Christian forum. :eek:

We just got told that a bunch of folk who use to be here, will no longer post, because we are not in line with their way of thinking. (bridge burning).

Now we are stuck with that declaration...what do we do with it? How do we deal with it, and how does that make us feel?

That is what I meant.

v/r

Q

edit: and yeah, I think "Christians" should think long and hard on that. We are all looking for answers. And Jesus never turned away anyone...

It makes sense to me insofar as it originated with Luther (I think) in a time and situation where the common people were not allowed to read the Bible but had to trust what the priests said.

This is true, but it's not the argument of sola scriptura.

Simply put, the argument is, if it is not stated explicitly in scripture, it is no part of Christian doctrine. The Catholic Church believes in 'Scripture and Tradition' - so the reformers wanted to get rid of the 'tradition' bit - like anything to do with the Virgin Mary, etc.

Another very important part of the context was the things people had to do, such as buy indulgences and do penance, etc. to get into heaven.

Repentance for sin, yes, and indulgences were seen as an extension of 'works' (so works was dumped, too). However, that is not to say the system was not open to abuses ... nor that certain clerics allowed the simple but erroneous belief that indulgences wiped clean the slate, or acted something like an insurance policy.

but I understand that in this context it was a liberation from mandatory obedience to doctrines of men i.e. priests and popes.

In theory, but again short-lived. Whilst the rerformers believed in sola scriptura, they also believed that they possessed the necessary whatever for its proper interpretation. It was not long before Calvin was burning people at the stake for not accepting his interpretation of things ... so the mandatory obedience simply shifted focus.

In today's context, esp. my own because I come out of a very legalistic community, it makes sense insofar as we don't have to live the right lifestyle or get the right education or whatever the various fundamentalist groups decide "proves" one's validity as a Christian.

Sadly, it does not make sense that in the wake of the Reformation anybody can make anything they want of Christianity either. There is a right education and a right lifestyle - if anything Christ was outspoken about what is right, and what is wrong - He was ever definite.

It's called love of God and neighbour - but living it ...

Hmmm. Maybe I am mixing up this concept with another major Lutheran concept of salvation comes "through faith alone through grace alone." Maybe others can explain it better.

Well, simply put, it doesn't matter who you are or what you do, you are so steeped in sin that nothing you can say or do can alleviate that - human nature has been utterly corrupted by the fall - you are damned and there's the end of it - except - that through His infinite grace and mercy, God chooses to forgive, and those he chooses to forgive are saved.

This then got tied in with the fact that if the above is true, then no priest nor pope nor church, can make a jot of difference, because they are as damned as the next man. So we have no need of churches, priests or popes ... but then how do we come to salvation... ?

The answer was we don't - there are those whom God calls to salvation, and there are those He does not. That's it.

The Church rejected this teaching on the basis that 'God alone is Good' and 'God is Good' - and that to create a life for no purpose than to suffer eternal torment attains to no 'good' - therefore not the way God works. Also, that human nature is not utterly corrupted, but wounded, or blighted, that within each and every one of us exists the obscured image of the Almighty, and the 'light that is the life of men'.

Also if God is motivated by love, we must assume either He loves some and not others, in which case He is arbitary, or that He loves all (as Scripture implies implicitly), even the sinner, and wishes that no soul be lost, but works ceaselesssly towards our salvation.

And love seeks love in return, and love, be it from creature or creator, is only truly love when it is freely given.

So the question turns on whether man is free to co-operate with God towards his own salvation (whether he is free to love God or not), which the Catholic church says emphatically yes, and the Reformers said emphatically no.

I think Luther's point was that the people can read the Bible for themselves ... yes but, ... they don't have to depend on the church's interpretation. no, they should depend on his - sola scriptura, faith alone, etc ... all the Reform doctrines are that - doctrines - which the reformed believer is obliged to believe... see, we're back to square one, only now someone else is in charge, and a new set of interpretations.

I sort of think, and I also came across this idea in the literature, that he did not think this one through to its logical conclusion;

No, he wasn't a very good philosopher. He was out-argued by Johann Ekk on matters of Augustinian theology (on which he had based his assumptions), and his disciple Melanchthon 'the gentle Philip' was a better pastoral theologian.

the Bible can be taken in countless ways, and countless churches have come into existence because people read the Bible for themselves.
Hmmm ... not sure. I don't think it 'can be taken in countless ways' - that undermines the whole notion of Revelation - if a god says 'Here is a truth I make known unto you, and you can make anything of it you will' - then there's no such thing as truth, just subjectivity - it's a great idea because it justifies anyone doing anything they like, but it's just not logical that God would reveal something that can be anything you like ...

... so you end up with the possibility of every Christian in the world insisting that they are the 'one true church' ...

I think Christ argued all along against the 'countless ways' of men.

Should we go back to not reading the Bible? I hope not!
Indeed no.

So where do we go?

The general argument is that IF one accepts revelation to be true - and this is a matter of faith - then accordingly one accepts that God, knowing the ways of men, would also arrange for its transmission infallibly - or else one accepts that God is the author of a revelation which He cannot guarantee - and man can read scripture and determine it to mean anything he wills.

Here is the Catholic 'turning point' - we believe that the Revelation is the Word of God, and that it was entrusted to the apostles, and their successors, and is in itself infallible, which means the church is infallible, but this does not mean the individual believer, be they pope or parishoner, is infallible in themselves.

This is why Catholicism makes such a big deal about Scripture and Tradition as coequal means of transmission, and by which each guarantees the other, Vatican II treats them as a mirror in which the other is reflected.

There is not one doctrine in her 2,000 year history that is 'new' or 'different' from that which was taught originally - and I think I am justified in saying the Reformed Churches cannot claim that.

Luther, for example, discounted the Epistle of James because James kept banging on about 'faith and works' - Luther called it 'a straw epistle' I think, which is a pretty novel interpretation of sola scriptura.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Thomas

Quahom1 said:
When one starts declaring they have all the answers and everyone else is wrong, Luna, bridges begin to burn. That is not the purpose here at CR., and not the purpose in the Christian forum. :eek:

We just got told that a bunch of folk who use to be here, will no longer post, because we are not in line with their way of thinking. (bridge burning).

Now we are stuck with that declaration...what do we do with it? How do we deal with it, and how does that make us feel?

That is what I meant.

v/r

Q

edit: and yeah, I think "Christians" should think long and hard on that. We are all looking for answers. And Jesus never turned away anyone...

Thank you Q. I thought that perhaps that was somehow directed at me...since I made an uncharacteristically sharp post.

I'm very sad that there are many members here who have decided to discontinue posting and I don't know where to go with that either.

lunamoth

Kindest Regards, Q!

Speaking only for myself, I pray for the well being of our prodigal relatives, hope they will return, and let it go at that without holding grudges.

lunamoth said:

In my opinion, that is no longer only a personal understanding because a community has accepted it. The people who join up with this kind of leader are supposedly adults and responsible to do their own thinking.

juantoo3 said:
Kindest Regards, Q!

Speaking only for myself, I pray for the well being of our prodigal relatives, hope they will return, and let it go at that without holding grudges.

In Jesus' name...amen.

RubySera_Martin said:
In my opinion, that is no longer only a personal understanding because a community has accepted it. The people who join up with this kind of leader are supposedly adults and responsible to do their own thinking.

Hi Ruby (BTW, welcome to CR),

OK. But how does one have any kind community without sharing some common basis, some foundational belief? There is really very little that can't be justified by a sola scriptura approach. Whether verbalized or not, whether even consciously known or not, a community is going to accept certain values and understandings in common, or they will not remain a community.

I don't really think we are in conflict here. I must admit that part of where I am coming from is due to my experience as a Baha'i. The Baha'i Faith claims to accept all of the Bible, OT and NT, including Paul's letters of the NT and Revelation, and claims to fulfill Biblical prophecy about Christ's return, yet Baha'i theology is wholly unlike Christian theology. It accomplishes this by a sola scriptura approach whereby everything that supports Baha'i doctrine is considererd literal and everything that does not support Baha'i doctrine is considered 'spiritual' or 'metaphorical.' And this is no less logical than any other sola scriptura approach as far as I can tell.

I wholly support the idea of reading the Bible for oneself and interpretting it for oneself. I wholly support modern Biblical scholarship with an open mind. But I also think that as the Body of Christ we are united by some doctrine that, as Thomas says, acts in concert with the Bible, the Bible and Tradition reflecting each other.

And, in spite of my strong stand for tradition, I also tend to the think that the Reformation was good for Christiantiy. :eek: I take an evolutionary view of religion and the Reformation served the purpose of adding fresh perspectives, evaluating existing perspectives, and fomenting change within the orthodox church as well. Anything that is static will become extinct.

As always, I'm in the middle, and I think that we live in the tension between the foundational doctrines and the demands of a constantly progressing understanding of our world and each other.

lunamoth

Thomas said:
the Bible can be taken in countless ways, and countless churches have come into existence because people read the Bible for themselves.
Hmmm ... not sure. I don't think it 'can be taken in countless ways' - that undermines the whole notion of Revelation - if a god says 'Here is a truth I make known unto you, and you can make anything of it you will' - then there's no such thing as truth, just subjectivity - it's a great idea because it justifies anyone doing anything they like, but it's just not logical that God would reveal something that can be anything you like ...

... so you end up with the possibility of every Christian in the world insisting that they are the 'one true church' ...

I think Christ argued all along against the 'countless ways' of men.
What you think and what is actually done seem to be two completely different things, Thomas. People do take the Bible in countless different ways. Whether you agree that they do it legitimately is not my point. By the word "can" I mean that it is possible. The evidence says it is being done, which translates into "it is possible."

Here is the Catholic 'turning point' - we believe that the Revelation is the Word of God, and that it was entrusted to the apostles, and their successors, and is in itself infallible, which means the church is infallible, but this does not mean the individual believer, be they pope or parishoner, is infallible in themselves.

You say "Catholic" and you say "we." Does this mean you are Catholic? As I read your post I was asking myself why you are so hostile to the reformers; who is right--you or my teachers? Or perhaps I totally misunderstand what I read and hear. If you are Catholic I can better understand your hostility. In another thread you mentioned working on your PhD. So I assume you've been immersed in Catholic thought since kindergarten, am I right? Just trying to put the author and his words (you and your post in this case) into context.

You explain some pretty profound concepts that I like but I take the liberty not to buy the whole caboodle hook, line, and sinker. I was raised to hate (or at least seriously suspect) both the Catholics and the Lutherans. Both martyred my ancestors the Anabaptists. In the last several years I've learned to at least not hate Luther so much anymore. And I spent a whole semester sitting next to one of this world's most friendly people--a young Catholic.

This is why Catholicism makes such a big deal about Scripture and Tradition as coequal means of transmission, and by which each guarantees the other, Vatican II treats them as a mirror in which the other is reflected.

I understand the concept but I can't stand the word tradition. I grew up where everything was justified with "tradition" whether or not it made sense either logically or theologically. I do think there is some value in that statement; I just don't like the word tradition. We need to sift through tradition and pick out the good and discard the bad. Not just trust some church authority. Regarding an unbroken line of transmission, well, no need to comment because a Catholic and Protestant will never agree on this one.

Thanks for your welcome. Where are you studying, if I may ask?

lunamoth said:
OK. But how does one have any kind community without sharing some common basis, some foundational belief?

Glad you explained your position. I do not presume a faith community when I talk about idiosyncratic interpretations of the Bible. I am basically outside of organized religion and I've gotten to know quite a few people like myself in this. I think we need to first and foremost find who we are and then find a community into which we fit. At least, that is my approach of the moment. I tried a lot of different churches and fit into none despite my best efforts. I was born into a community and did my best to fit in but when shove came to push and crowd came to crunch, I was outside.

I don't really think we are in conflict here. I must admit that part of where I am coming from is due to my experience as a Baha'i. The Baha'i Faith claims to accept all of the Bible, OT and NT, including Paul's letters of the NT and Revelation, and claims to fulfill Biblical prophecy about Christ's return, yet Baha'i theology is wholly unlike Christian theology. It accomplishes this by a sola scriptura approach whereby everything that supports Baha'i doctrine is considererd literal and everything that does not support Baha'i doctrine is considered 'spiritual' or 'metaphorical.'

You capture very well what all people seem to do--the stuff that fits their religious agenda is taken literally and the rest is taken spiritually or metaphorically or figuratively, etc. That is how come the Bible can be, and is being, taken in countless different ways.

foundational doctrines

Again, what you consider foundational may be taken as peripheral by someone else. I, personally, have no idea how one can claim that one way of reading or understanding the Bible is more correct than another. I apply the same principle to choosing a religion--Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, whatever. None is correct; one may fit a specific person better than another.

RubySera_Martin said:
Again, what you consider foundational may be taken as peripheral by someone else. I, personally, have no idea how one can claim that one way of reading or understanding the Bible is more correct than another. I apply the same principle to choosing a religion--Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, whatever. None is correct; one may fit a specific person better than another.

Hi Ruby, I think I am beginning to understand where you are coming from as well. That's a big part of the dance, isn't it? :)

Anyway, I am very much a community-oriented person. I relate very much to the ideas of the universal Church and the Body of Christ, while at the same time I try to remain open to the understanding that we all unique individuals, and diversity is a good thing.

I don't think that anyone can say that their reading of the Bible is more 'correct' than another, but we can say that our understanding is more in line, or less in line, with the ealiest orthodox Christian community or not. What you describe sounds like strong relativism, an approach that frankly leaves me asea. But perhaps that's just me.

One thing I like about the Episcopal Church is that regardless of any differences we might have theologically, politically, whatever, we are harmonized by the liturgy and sacraments. So, for me that is foundational because it brings Christ continually into my life, physically and spiritually, but you are right that for some the liturgy and the sacraments are peripheral to their worship and relationship with God. For those folks I look for the other things we have in common, whatever it might be. I figure that at the very least we have the golden rule. So, while sola scriptura does not make sense to me, I do not disregard those who do take this appoach. I just see it differently.

lunamoth

What you think and what is actually done seem to be two completely different things, Thomas. People do take the Bible in countless different ways. Whether you agree that they do it legitimately is not my point. By the word "can" I mean that it is possible. The evidence says it is being done, which translates into "it is possible."

I agree, anything is possible, but that does not make it useful, valuable, or meaningful. People use scripture to justify murder ... that was all I was indicating.

You say "Catholic" and you say "we." Does this mean you are Catholic?
Yes.

As I read your post I was asking myself why you are so hostile to the reformers;
Did I come across hostile? I didn't mean any hostility. I don't accept their doctrine, but I don't hold any animosity towards them.

In another thread you mentioned working on your PhD. So I assume you've been immersed in Catholic thought since kindergarten, am I right?
Not quite. I was joking with Earl, that's all ...

Born a Catholic, then 'wandered off' into esotertism, Hermeticism and occultism ... then Platonism ... then Comparative Religion ... then back to Catholicism.

I was raised to hate (or at least seriously suspect) both the Catholics and the Lutherans.
A continuing legacy of the Reformation. But take heart - we Catholics have been hated by everyone - it passes.

I understand the concept but I can't stand the word tradition.
That's a shame. Because one has been lied to, one should not hate the word 'truth', or because one has been ill-treated, one should not hate the word 'love' - but I do take your point. Too often 'tradition' is akin to the 'heavy blunt object' with which to bludgeon someone else.

I see it rather as a river.

Not just trust some church authority.
I don't, in the way you state it. I do trust in Christ's word - I trust in Him, and I see Him reflected more clearly in the Church than in any man - and so I have faith in the church, because I have faith in Him. If I am let down, that is another's fault, not His, and not the Church's.

St Catherine of Siena struck fear into the hearts of popes and set cardinal atremble when she berated them for their sojourn in Avignon. If a woman can upset a man in Medieval Europe, and a powerful man at that, a woman should have nothing to fear in the Church of today.

Her strength, however, came from her absolute faith in the love of God, and that is where she spoke from, and that is what was recognised in her words.

Please don't be offended by anything I have written - none was intended.

Currently finishing the first year of a 5-year distance learning degree in Catholic theology. As the philosopher said, if we do not learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it. This is my attempt to learn about my religion.

Thomas

BTW, people were never forbidden to read the Bible. In the MA, most, of course, could not read it because they were illiterate. Also, because Bibles had to be copied by hand (and usually illuminated), they were time-consuming to produce.

The first book that Gutenberg printed was the Bible--the Catholic one in Latin (Vulgate).

Back