The horse is gone but...

RubySera_Martin

Reaction score
I'll lock the barn door anyway. That is what Quahom told me it's like if I post an intro at this point and I know he's right. BTW, Quahom, I found your pic on the other thread. You look like a guy who might actually know something about handling horses. I know I do. I owned a horse (a series of different ones over the years) for the best part of twenty years--might have been more like fifteen or sixteen. Good old Chester served me well for ten years.

I was born into a horse and buggy Mennonite community. For those of you who don't know what Mennonites are, I wrote quite a bit here http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/christianity/how-does-it-hang-together-5328.html. I had been going to indicate which posts contain the most info but it looks like it's scattered throughout. Maybe you can do a word search on "Mennonite" to find the bits and pieces.

And yes, the horse truly is gone. Chester is gone and has been for about three years and eleven months. I was unable to find my niche in the Mennonite community and finally decided to try a very different route. I knew it would probably cost me my membership in the community and that was about the worst thing I could imagine happening to me. However, I was so unhappy and desperate that I stuck to my plans and it was indeed the worst thing that has happened to me. It was, indeed, considerably worse than I had anticipated. But the the rewards were correspondingly greater, too.

I had no idea what life had in store for those who are loved and respected. It's so wonderful to be treated like a human being that I can never get over feeling amazed and grateful. Not for one moment have I regretted my decisions. There have been helping hands all along the way. There have been others, too, but the helping hands far out-numbered the hindering hands. This community has been one of the "helping hands," and I am grateful that it is here. May we have a long and prosperous life together as we learn what life is all about.

Ruby

RubySera_Martin said:
You look like a guy who might actually know something about handling horses. I know I do.

CORRECTION: That was supposed to say I know how to handle horses. At least, I owned and cared for a horse for many years. I don't think I look much like a person to handle horses--I just did the best I could.

RubySera_Martin said:
I'll lock the barn door anyway. That is what Quahom told me it's like if I post an intro at this point and I know he's right. BTW, Quahom, I found your pic on the other thread. You look like a guy who might actually know something about handling horses. I know I do. I owned a horse (a series of different ones over the years) for the best part of twenty years--might have been more like fifteen or sixteen. Good old Chester served me well for ten years.

I was born into a horse and buggy Mennonite community. For those of you who don't know what Mennonites are, I wrote quite a bit here http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/christianity/how-does-it-hang-together-5328.html. I had been going to indicate which posts contain the most info but it looks like it's scattered throughout. Maybe you can do a word search on "Mennonite" to find the bits and pieces.

And yes, the horse truly is gone. Chester is gone and has been for about three years and eleven months. I was unable to find my niche in the Mennonite community and finally decided to try a very different route. I knew it would probably cost me my membership in the community and that was about the worst thing I could imagine happening to me. However, I was so unhappy and desperate that I stuck to my plans and it was indeed the worst thing that has happened to me. It was, indeed, considerably worse than I had anticipated. But the the rewards were correspondingly greater, too.

I had no idea what life had in store for those who are loved and respected. It's so wonderful to be treated like a human being that I can never get over feeling amazed and grateful. Not for one moment have I regretted my decisions. There have been helping hands all along the way. There have been others, too, but the helping hands far out-numbered the hindering hands. This community has been one of the "helping hands," and I am grateful that it is here. May we have a long and prosperous life together as we learn what life is all about.

Ruby

(lol), his name is "Cowboy's Cadillac". At 16.5 hands he's a five year old paint, and loves to dance. :D

I like your combination of tradition and contemporary as well.

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
(lol), his name is "Cowboy's Cadillac". At 16.5 hands he's a five year old paint, and loves to dance. :D

I like your combination of tradition and contemporary as well.

v/r

Q

QUESTION: What do you call a horse that has such a long name? I mean, if Chester did something bad, all I had to do was say two syllables very sternly and he would know that I was not happy with him. By the time you shout "Cowboy's Cadilac stop that!" he may have stopped doing one thing and started another? That's just a question that has occurred to me sometimes.

Another question would be how a mariner fits a horse into his life. I guess a horse might not enjoy sailing???

RubySera_Martin said:
QUESTION: What do you call a horse that has such a long name? I mean, if Chester did something bad, all I had to do was say two syllables very sternly and he would know that I was not happy with him. By the time you shout "Cowboy's Cadilac stop that!" he may have stopped doing one thing and started another? That's just a question that has occurred to me sometimes.

Another question would be how a mariner fits a horse into his life. I guess a horse might not enjoy sailing???

First of all, when he was bad I called him by the given name on his papers..."ROBERT DOWNEY JUNIOR", KNOCK IT OFF! The humiliation was so great that he hasn't figited on us since...:rolleyes: :eek:

Sailing, no. But running the river and strolling on the beach suits him fine...:)

v/r

Q

RubySera_Martin said:

"Cadillac"

You really ought to study your Coast Guard history...Horses and Coasties go way back.

Is Cadillac more than the name of a car?

Now before you laugh at me for not knowing this answer, let me remind you that your knowledge of Mennonites is extremely scanty and that you would probably not know from looking at a cardboard box whether it best fits under the seat of my buggy or my sister's. Or perhaps in the front or the back. Knowing that Cadillac is the name of a car is actually pretty good for me. Can it also mean a horse in some other language? Or in coastie lingo?

[I thought a coaster (coastie) was something you put under a glass of water to keep the furniture from staining from the condensation. (I used to make and sell the things.) Or something on which you took a ride down a snowy hillside.]

RubySera_Martin said:
Is Cadillac more than the name of a car?

Now before you laugh at me for not knowing this answer, let me remind you that your knowledge of Mennonites is extremely scanty and that you would probably not know from looking at a cardboard box whether it best fits under the seat of my buggy or my sister's. Or perhaps in the front or the back. Knowing that Cadillac is the name of a car is actually pretty good for me. Can it also mean a horse in some other language? Or in coastie lingo?

[I thought a coaster (coastie) was something you put under a glass of water to keep the furniture from staining from the condensation. (I used to make and sell the things.) Or something on which you took a ride down a snowy hillside.]

lol, Cadillac is the name of a Chief. Coastie is an anacronym for a favorite sailor who does things most people wouldn't...and one who guards the coast. He/She is someone you put under water, to keep things from ruin (particularly Life)...;)

v/r

Q

you can learn about "Coasties" here: http://www.uscg.mil/USCG.shtm

I'm sure you'll find us fascinating...;)

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Coastie is an anacronym for a favorite sailor who does things most people wouldn't...and one who guards the coast.

Welll,,,,acronym is a batch of letters. This looks more like a nickname or slang or just plain lingo.

He/She is someone you put under water, to keep things from ruin (particularly Life)...;)

I guess I'm not smart enough to get this one. If you kept me under water soon you would have nothing but a dead body. My life would be ruined. Permanently.

Back