Satan's Fall

Azure24

Reaction score
It is noteworthy that the Old Testament itself does not at any point actually mention the rebellion and fall of Satan. This non-Scriptural belief assembled from interpretations of different passages, would fall under the heading Christian mythology, that is, Christian traditions that are derived from outside of church teachings and scripture. Any opinions?

Azure24 said:
It is noteworthy that the Old Testament itself does not at any point actually mention the rebellion and fall of Satan. This non-Scriptural belief assembled from interpretations of different passages, would fall under the heading Christian mythology, that is, Christian traditions that are derived from outside of church teachings and scripture. Any opinions?

One day a spirit son of God presumed to question God’s way of ruling. Using a snake as a mouthpiece, he asked Eve: "Is it really so that God said you must not eat from every tree of the garden?" (Genesis 3:1) Thus a seed of doubt was planted in Eve’s mind as to whether God’s way of ruling was right. In reply Eve gave the correct answer, which she had learned from her husband. However, the spirit creature then contradicted God and lied about the consequences of disobedience, saying: "You positively will not die. For God knows that in the very day of your eating from it your eyes are bound to be opened and you are bound to be like God, knowing good and bad."—Genesis 3:4, 5. would you not call this rebellion saying the opposite to what God said

I think what Azure is questioning is the assumption that many Christians make that:

1. The snake is Satan, rather than some mortal or nature spirit acting disobedient just as humans sometimes do.

2. That Satan acts against God, rather than as God's prosecuting attorney, so to speak. Many Jews believe Satan has not fallen, but is rather an angel with an unsavory job- trying the faith of God's people. Satan is thus necessary so that a person can grow in faith, become solid in it, and prove their loyalty to God. Satan would thus not be God's enemy, but rather our own disobedience would be.

We've had many conversations about Satan- you might try poking around for an old thread if you're curious, Azure. I don't agree much with the modern conceptualization of Satan as some goat-legged guy with horns and a pitchfork that rules the world. And I think what we fear, we give power to. I've gone into detail, but it's all in old threads already and I have to get ready for work!:rolleyes:

Back