Is it possible to have a dialogue about "the Truth"

Abogado del Diablo

Ferally Decent
Reaction score
I split this off from a thread in the Christianity forum.

kenod said:
The idea that Truth is somehow malleable really worries me.

Setting aside for the moment whether the truth is "malleable," what are the means by which we might access "the truth"? In other words, by what measure do we determine "the truth" from "not the truth"?

kenod said:
Fortunately, I probably won’t be required to do so, although right now around the world, people are being persecuted and killed for their beliefs.

What do you think of that?

kenod said:
to say “you are wrong” ... or so precious that we get offended when someone tells us he/she thinks we are wrong.

Imagine, for a second, the dialogue between two people who want to discuss their chosen beliefs, with each desiring to prove the other wrong. What would such a dialogue look like? Is it possible that they could agree on an objective measure - a common language and method - by which they could discern "the truth"? Without that, isn't the dialogue going to just be two people accusing each other of being wrong, with each repeatedly stating their creed or conviction in response to the other doing the same? What would be the product of such a dialogue?

kenod said:
The harm stems from using our beliefs to inflict pain and suffering on others. But at times even this may not be completely avoidable ... social/moral issues are often influenced by one's religious beliefs, and are regarded as causing suffering by those who are on the losing side ...

Would it be okay for someone to inflict pain and suffering on your children because of a difference in religious belief over one of these "moral" issues? Where should the line be drawn? If one's religion says "Kill the infidels!" (and, no, I'm not claiming that any religion makes that demand), is following on that command something we should accept, so we can all stick to our guns that everyone else is wrong? Can you draw the line between reasonable and unreasonable beliefs? If so, how should we decide where to draw that line? If not, what wouldn't be permissible if done in the name of a religious dogma?

I'm not setting up anyone for any argument about who's right or wrong. So please don't misunderstand me. I am asking serious questions about the nature of faith, how we define and determine "the truth," and, in the real world in which we live, what should we do about the inescapable reality that just about every single person has arrived at a different conviction about "the truth" and of what it consists.

There are infinite numbers of "truths," in terms of individual facts (valid from one point of view or another) ... that are known by no person on Earth, or even by ANY being in this Galaxy, even all our friends the space aliens traveling from 10 or 12 parsecs. Yeah, yeah, I know, this has little to do with what prompted these questions, but perhaps my point is that we suffer from a lack of perspective.

Truth isn't defined by mob rules, or consensus. Nor is it a matter of what just seems right (although this isn't a bad place to start, in terms of ethics, or morality). Certainly it isn't that which results after the swift and efficient application of the principle of Occam's Razor, although some people would have you believe otherwise.

But truth does start where people can AGREE on terms, on the parameters of discussion, on the rules of logic (mathematical logic, philosophical logic, or even just common-sensical logic, these are all related - AHA!). It has everything to do with establishing "ground rules," or a framework, and building from there. (Yes, Truth proceeds from God, as all else, including us, with the capacity to KNOW, and embody Truth ... and that's why what I just said is true, and makes sense. :))

I am all for the emphasis on LOVE, both as a principle and a first practice. Yes, I would go so far as to agree that in the most general terms, that is what life is all about - ours, God's, and even that of everyone & everything in this Universe (Solar System). But unless you've the enlightenment of a Buddha (or a Christ ... or at least an Arhat), then your understanding could always use a bit of expanding, or fine tuning, whether you know it or not! ;)

In simple, short answer to your first question, Devil's Adv, I'd say this: first, the senses - these are provided that we may distinguish the not-self from the self, and this is where and how we begin to "know the truth." But that's just the start. Next, come our emotions, with another great duality, pain and pleasure (gathered from sense experience at first, but this evolves). This develops into happiness/sadness, attraction/repulsion, like/dislike, and so forth. And our sense of truth deepens.

The mind begins to develop, and this is the great discriminative faculty, allowing us to analyze, process, systematize, harmonize and ultimately to integrate our experience from the sensory realm (physical world), then also the emotional realm. As we develop into a personality, we make increasingly refined decisions about what seems, and seems not to be - TRUE - but already, even before we have developed intellectually, there are additional factors that have begun to influence us.

And these are the standards themselves, or the `Forms,' as Plato called them, the IDEALS. They are the Divine Images (or thoughts), the Prototypes of all that is, the lowest point of descent, or direct contact, of the Divine (`God') with His/Its Creation (us, the world). Those who have begun to build the bridge, whether following in the footsteps of one of the great `Bridge-Builders' or not, all know this to be true. And whether directly or indirectly, EVERYONE who has ever aspired, even once, to find, know, embody or to demonstrate lovingly `the Truth' ... is such a follower. :)

So `the Truth' has actually been acting on us all, all along! It has shaped the world we live in, it has ensouled and evolved the various kingdoms of nature, and it has drawn Humanity up form the dust (materially), and out of the darkness of unknowing (consciousness-wise), to the point at which we find ourselves - individually, and collectively. Some will call this truth `God,' but it matters not. Words do not change a thing, even if we fail to recognize a Presence. "Vocatus atque non vocatus deus aderit" ;)

If our motive, in what otherwise might have been a nice, friendly religious discussion, is to prove another person wrong, then I'm not sure we're going to get very far ... unless that person is ready, willing, and open for the challenge. But then, as you point out, Abogado, won't it come down to a question of terms? Like science, the challengee will need to admit of a condition, some pre-agreed state of things, which - IF demonstrated, or proven, will falsify his or her beliefs. If I say, this is (my) truth, and it is UNassailable, and I insist that I am unflenching and resolved about that (my conviction is thus and such), then aha! NO amount of argument or debate is going to move me. If anything, it will just make me dig my heels in that much more firmly, and in short, anyone who argues with me is wasting his or her time. :p

So that is the position in which we find numerous people, plenty of whom come to CR to post ... and I must admit, I suppose I have a handful of special thoughts in my bag of tricks - that might just fit into this unassailable category. But the wise person, if only for having stumbled across the Eastern Wisdom, Taoism, Buddhism, and so on, will at least recognize that his or her beliefs - are nothing more. Even if true, they are still BELIEFS. Knowledge itself, is not a bridge. Nor Wisdom, if we reify it into something tangible. Plato's Forms, the Ideals themselves, are not meant to be strapped to our back and carried. "Even a donkey can carry a library on its back." Cling to the Buddha, but when you cross the Stream, LET HIM GO! "If you meet the Buddha on the road, KILL HIM!" :rolleyes:

There are Buddhists at CR who will argue with me that the (teaching of) the God of Chrstianity, or the (doctrine of the) Atma/Soul of Hinduism, is not compatible with what the Buddha taught. And there are Christians who will insist that unless you have faith in Jesus of Nazareth as your Lord and Saviour, you cannot come to the Truth, since Christ said that He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Yet neither of these beliefs is reconcilable with what the respective Founders, Lord Buddha, and Lord Christ, actually taught. AS presented and argued, by most believers, they become nonsense!

Sometimes, it's better to leave Pandora's Box sitting motionless on the bedside table, simply smile, and leave the headaches until another day - or ignore them altogether. But I might point out that there was a `Parliament of World's Religions' in 1893. There was another one in 1993, and I believe that additional enclaves have occurred. Might be worthy of research, for the true ecumenists among us. I do so enjoy pointing out to the needlessly purist that there as many paths to God ... as there are people upon the planet. And if I wanted to be stamped with anyone in particular's personal little pet brand of religion, I'd go and beg them for it. lol Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of ticky tacky ... :p

Sorry to ramble, Abogado, I'm seldom one for simplicity, even if that is often the swifter way. It's the strangest thing, though. If all these people are really so certain that their beloved and cherished WAY (religion, faith, path, etc.) IS the ONLY way ... then why aren't they practicing it??? I find myself returning, again and again, to my favorite onscreen portrayal of the Christ, Jeremy Hunter, in `King of Kings.' He is giving the famous Sermon on the Mount, and I feel that His acting is magificent, powerful, yet softened or conditioned by that genuine LOVE for all beings which the Christ demonstrated. He says, "THOU hypocrite! [SIZE=-1]First cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."

So why would I dare to pick motes? Mmmm, I dunno, the plank must have turned edgewise for a second. No worse than confusing my beliefs for reality I suppose. Or a man for his message. Blind faith for personal responsibility. Sacred Scripture for Truth itself. It just seems to be the way of things ...

Is that a hundred verses yet? :p ramble on rose!

taijasi
[/SIZE]

Abogado del Diablo said:

Setting aside for the moment whether the truth is "malleable," what are the means by which we might access "the truth"? In other words, by what measure do we determine "the truth" from "not the truth"?

Imagine, for a second, the dialogue between two people who want to discuss their chosen beliefs, with each desiring to prove the other wrong. What would such a dialogue look like? Is it possible that they could agree on an objective measure - a common language and method - by which they could discern "the truth"? Without that, isn't the dialogue going to just be two people accusing each other of being wrong, with each repeatedly stating their creed or conviction in response to the other doing the same? What would be the product of such a dialogue?

Would it be okay for someone to inflict pain and suffering on your children because of a difference in religious belief over one of these "moral" issues? Where should the line be drawn? If one's religion says "Kill the infidels!" (and, no, I'm not claiming that any religion makes that demand), is following on that command something we should accept, so we can all stick to our guns that everyone else is wrong? Can you draw the line between reasonable and unreasonable beliefs? If so, how should we decide where to draw that line? If not, what wouldn't be permissible if done in the name of a religious dogma?

I'm not setting up anyone for any argument about who's right or wrong. So please don't misunderstand me. I am asking serious questions about the nature of faith, how we define and determine "the truth," and, in the real world in which we live, what should we do about the inescapable reality that just about every single person has arrived at a different conviction about "the truth" and of what it consists.

Gee counselor, you don't ask for much do you? :0)

It is, I think, necessary from the outset to foster an attitude of humility within the discussion. The Zen "don't know mind" is a useful tool in any discussion. Too often humans are guilty of "co-dependent religion" as if my cherished beliefs can only exist if I can garner your support. Therefore the common language needed to explore "that which is" must be the language of humility peppered with the spirit of inquiry.
That being said, we then need to agree on another idea, that there exists an objective (and I use this term loosely) truth.

If, at the outset our motivation is to prove another wrong, we have taken a path that will not be fruitful or helpful as Tai has mentioned, for then our goal is energetically negative and our aim is away from the target.

As far as harm done to others because of their beliefs, I feel that more harm is done to others BECAUSE OF BELIEF.

Oh and Abogado? Thank you for your refreshing and sincere inquiry into the nature of reality as it is. If anything can come close to touching "Suchness" it is this kind of attitude and I am deeply grateful for that. I bow deeply to you.

Peace
Mark

First of all, I think I see two questions addressed here:

Is it possible to debate(rather than dialogue about) religious beliefs?
My answer is no; because, debate is when two or more sides oppose each other to prove each other wrong; debate defends assumptions as truth; and debate assumes there is a right answer and somebody has it.

Does that mean I disapprove of debate? No I don't. I think that debate is good when talking about issues: School vouchers, Immigration, Tax Reform etc; but I think that dialogue, that listens to the other's faith belief, in order to understand, to find meaning and to find some type of common ground instead of looking for flaws, weaknesses and glaring differences is a much better way.

I like to discuss others' religious beliefs because sometimes it challenges me to reevaluate my own preconceived ideas, to study a little harder why I believe what I do and maybe to expand my own point of a view or not.

I think that some people of faith, feel uneasy with any contact with members of a different faith, for whatever reasons, I can only speculate. But for some reclaiming absolute truth is the purpose of their faith's mission.

I have been asking myself this question for the past 10 years: "Does absolute truth exist?" Is Christianity the absolute truth, the defining metanarrative of humanity's existence?

Or is the absolute truth, there are no absolutes: truth is relative.
Is there one absolute truth with many paths leading to it?

How do we know what we know or is our knowing socially constructed and limited by our language of origin?

So the second question I see here is how can we determine right from wrong in a pluralistic world where competing religious dogmas are wanting to influence the culture with their version of the truth?

Before I continue any further with this line of reasoning, I want to make sure that I am on the same page or am I adding a rabbit trail here?

Jamarz said:
Before I continue any further with this line of reasoning, I want to make sure that I am on the same page or am I adding a rabbit trail here?

You're on a similar page with me, I think. These are the sorts of issues I want to hear people's ideas about:

(1) what do we mean when we say something is "the Truth"?
(2) how do we determine the content of "the Truth"?
(3) can we dialogue and explore "the Truth" together? (I like the way you put it - disinguishing dialogue from "debate").

Here's one I didn't explicitly add before, but everyone else has pointed out so far:

(4) are all of these individual understandings of "the Truth" merely our own artistic descriptions of the same experience? Is "the truth" one, even though the sages may speak of it by many names?

Hmmm..this all kind of reminds me of the first day of my 7th grade civics class, wherein our teacher, a sour and demonstrably irrascible grouch, said, "Ok, for our first discussion I am going to ask you a question. Write your answer on a sheet of paper, do not put your name on it, and then fold it four times and place it in this coffee can up here on my desk. OK, the question is, 'What is truth?' (You guys knew that was coming didn't you ?)".

The answers were many and varied and we took a vote on the best ones. The answer that won said, "It's what happens". Since we were really the first visually oriented generation, right after WWII (movies and early television) most of the answers had to do with what we had observed, not what we had heard on the radio, or read in comics, books, or newspapers, or even heard our parents or clergy say. But most of the answers had to do with what the kids in the class had observed at one time or another.

Of course the law is purported to inform us of what is true/false and right/wrong...but that is certainly open to debate. But its system also includes "spirit-of-the-law/letter-of-the-law" arguments.

Jamarz makes a good point by saying that belief is not really debatable. And I say that belief is outside of the realm of judgement regarding its truthfulness/falsehood because it is designed to incorporate our emotional feelings in order to verify our agreement with its premises and content. In other words, if it feels right, then we believe it and it's true. If, over repeated observations and emotional and intellectual evaluations, it begins to "feel" wrong for us, then it is false.

People in the early 80's used to love watching and believing Jimmy and Tammy Faye Baker. I liked to catch Jimmy Swaggart once in a while because he played the piano and sang well, and even cried while performing music that specially moved him. We all know where they all went.

IMHO, it all boils down to what our hearts tell us is safe and true for us and our circumstances at given points in time. That is truth. But it is transitory and can change when and if new circumstances are introduced and experienced. We have all been changed already by the ways in which we now interact with each other and the world around us. As I've said elsewhere here, our increasing and more intimate connections with novel technologies is rapidly changing us before our own eyes. How could it be possible for humans to have "true" feelings and opinions in such rapidly changing and morphing environments ? I'm still waiting for some really smart people to explain it all to me someday.

flow....:rolleyes:

flowperson said:
Of course the law is purported to inform us of what is true/false and right/wrong...but that is certainly open to debate. But its system also includes "spirit-of-the-law/letter-of-the-law" arguments.
That's an interesting idea - especially given Paladin's new topic on "rhetoric" in the Philosophy forum. Its one that probably deserves its own thread. Being a legal practitioner, I've observed there's an interesting dichotomy in the profession between people who think the law serves such a purpose as you describe and those who think it serves no truth seeking purpose, but is rather about controlling the perception of "the Truth."

Guess which ones, in my experience, make for the more successful lawyers (i.e. win more cases)?

Here's an example: A doctor (general practitioner) sees a patient who complains about reflux-like pain in his chest. The doctor orders the patient to go to a cardiologist and get some lab work done right away, suspecting his patient has heart problems. He writes down a referral to the cardiologist and gives it to the patient. Our doctor has a system in which he dictates his notes into a dictaphone and they are transcribed later with a lag time of up to a week - the tapes are then erased once the records are transcribed. Unbeknownst to our doctor, while his tape from this visit is waiting to be transcribed, our patient has not followed the doctor's orders and died of a heart attack.

Did our general practitioner commit medical malpractice in the way he treated the patient? Is he probably in serious legal trouble anyway?

The ones that get the money first?

Seriously, because of all the propagandization going on in the media these days, I will bite and guess that it is those who are most successful in their attempts to control the perceptions of truth.

flow...;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenod

There are the physical senses, then there is logical deduction, then there is lore brought down throught the ages, then there is the intangible "intuition", and finally the even more etheral "faith".

Quote:
Fortunately, I probably won’t be required to do so, although right now around the world, people are being persecuted and killed for their beliefs.

I think that this is in fact happening today, though we call it by a different name...Solidiers, sailors and airmen, Health workers and charitable volunteers are dying daily from all allied countries for their base belief in the "Judeac" version of God (let us not kid ourselves), while the few but ominous believers in a more dangerous god (but hidden behind another Abrahamic version of God), seek its favor (I refer to the god of power and tyranny, behind the facade of following Allah).

Quote:
to say “you are wrong” ... or so precious that we get offended when someone tells us he/she thinks we are wrong.
Without accepting a common reference, or set of ground rules...nothing.

Quote:
The harm stems from using our beliefs to inflict pain and suffering on others. But at times even this may not be completely avoidable ... social/moral issues are often influenced by one's religious beliefs, and are regarded as causing suffering by those who are on the losing side ...

I can only answer from my own faith, which says "murder is wrong". Defense of self or another, is not wrong, but the taking of any life is a loss of personal innocence, which in my opinion once is lost, is replaced by anger and rage, which only makes taking life that much easier...a vicious cycle.

There is only one who ever claimed with conviction, "I am the truth, the light and the way." And then one step further, he lay down his life..."for those He loved", which happened to be the whole of humanity, no actually, the whole world in its entirety.

My thoughts

v/r

Q

Kenod said:
Truth is a symmetry and malleable by anyone... but every action is being recorded and that history is not malleable. Does that address your worry?

Newton was 'flat' wrong when he said, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Action and reaction are NOT equal. Action and reaction are not interchangeable, not repeatable, and not reversible. What Newton meant was, "For every action force there is an equal and opposing reaction force." But there is no tug-o-war that will last for very long.

cyberpi said:
Truth is a symmetry and malleable by anyone... but every action is being recorded and that history is not malleable. Does that address your worry?

Newton was 'flat' wrong when he said, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Action and reaction are NOT equal. Action and reaction are not interchangeable, not repeatable, and not reversible. What Newton meant was, "For every action force there is an equal and opposing reaction force." But there is no tug-o-war that will last for very long.

Literally and physically speaking, Newton was without error in his second law of physics. But Newton may have been describing more than the dynamics of the physical world...is that what you are referring to?

v/r

Q

Quahom1 said:
Literally and physically speaking, Newton was without error in his second law of physics. But Newton may have been describing more than the dynamics of the physical world...is that what you are referring to?

v/r

Q
Actually no... Einstein and others showed in the last century that Newton was also wrong with his second law of motion, although it is a fair approximation at low velocity.

To also answer your question: No. With Newton's third law of motion I was describing the dynamics of the physical world. Every action is recorded. No action and reaction are equal. No action or reaction are repeatable. No action or reaction are reversible. I am sure that having written those laws that God (swt) can break or rewrite them, but I am speaking for physical laws, which the flesh follows.

I am speaking of this physical world. The reason I bring it up is simple: The tree of knowledge reveals that we are naked and clothed in skin. Every bit of measurable science has revealed that truth... that every action is being recorded. The truth is malleable but the act of changing it is recorded and that recording is not malleable.

I find it difficult to discuss my ideas in this thread because the basis of my authority is Scripture.

One of the points I attempted to make was to defend the integrity of the position which says: "I am right - you are wrong". In some discussion forums this is regarded as arrogance, and every point needs to be preceded by "in my opinion" or some such qualification. I am not arguing that I am right; I am arguing that I can legitimately say I am right.

Do we need to respect each others "truth" - yes, in most cases, I believe we should. Respect means you do not ridicule the person or his/her point of view. It does not mean that you are precluded from saying "You are wrong and I am right".

Nature teaches us that there is only one Truth. Our understanding of how nature functions may have changed, but the way in which nature functions has not changed. According to my Christian beliefs, nature emanates from the one, eternal, unchanging God. Truth, whether in the natural or supernatural realm, is therefore absolute and universal.

I think we all have core beliefs, whether religious or humanitarian, which we hold as absolute. Then there are those beliefs which we hold as a matter of personal intuition.

Can we justify using our core beliefs to inflict suffering on others? Yes, of course we can - we incarcerate criminals. In more contentious areas, such as stem cell research or same-sex marriage, do we have the right to impose our beliefs on others. Again I argue that yes, we do, when the "imposition" is an indirect outcome of our beliefs.

Well then, what about inflicting deliberate harm on others such as in a "just" war, in the name of our beliefs, that is, what we hold to be The Truth. Here I believe that motive is the key. To defeat Hitler I would have fought and killed, and accepted substantial "collateral damage". In Vietnam I would not, and did not. In Iraq ... motives are confused from the individual soldier on the ground to the political machinations of governments and business.

The perception of Truth may vary from person to person, but Truth itself is absolute and universal. We all need to make important decisions about how we will live, and die, and we need to do so on the basis of our core beliefs. This gives us not only permission, but also the responsibility to say "I am right"!

Paladin said:
Quod Erat Demonstradum
/

C'mon guys. I only had two years of high school Latin, and that was over forty years ago. Translation... pretty, pretty, puulllllease ? I intuit that it has to do with demonstrating error?

flow....:confused:

QED ... it's meant to be sarcasm, Flow.

It was not my intention to enter into a "dialogue" about the Truth. This is not a thread in which I would normally participate. However, I felt obliged to elaborate upon the parts of my post that had been pasted from another section of the forum - something which is frowned upon by most forums as being unethical. The context of my original comments was fundamentalism, as a self-confessed fundamentalist, and it would be obvious to most that the two threads are incompatible.

kenod said:
I felt obliged to elaborate upon the parts of my post that had been pasted from another section of the forum - something which is frowned upon by most forums as being unethical.

It's impossible to do otherwise on this forum though. Because of the "Walled Garden" approach, discussing proclamations of faith with ideas from the realm of comparative religion and philosophy would result in censure as well. As you'll note, I originally posted this in Christian forum (I left a "placeholder" where it used to be), but had to make a Hobson's choice.

I don't mean any offense by agreeing with the "QED." I just couldn't help but notice you didn't answer most of the questions posed in this thread - which is significant given the context.

flowperson said:
/

C'mon guys. I only had two years of high school Latin, and that was over forty years ago. Translation... pretty, pretty, puulllllease ? I intuit that it has to do with demonstrating error?

flow....:confused:

Sorry Flow, it means "That which was to be shown or demonstrated," usually associated with the result of a mathematical equation.

Kenod,
This wasn't posted with the intent to be sarcastic by any means, merely to demonstrate that Abogado's question was indeed answered in the most inadvertent yet poigniant manner by your post. No apologies (or apologetics) necessary for your belief that you are right. My personal belief is that persons are somewhat "hardwired" to behave and believe along certain parameters (shades of Maslow) and fundamentalism is another stage in an ongoing spiritual development neither right nor wrong, just "is".

Peace
Mark

Back