What are your sacred Scriptures?

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I find the bible to be one of my favorite books. I keep going back to it, developing new levels of understanding. Listening, reading others interpretations makes me go re-read that chapter and verse...and others, tis quite addictive.

It really doesn't matter anymore if I disagree with someone elses interpretation, what matters to me is I develop an understanding of where they are coming from. At least trying to understand the interpretation. Like the writers of the bible and their words, the interpretations often come from the place the interpreter is at...all has value.

Now I could go on here and say how much I see value in so many other writings or even all other writings as they all allow me to grow. But I'll back off a little and allow others to toss out some books, some thought that they feel are worthy of all of our consideration on this path.

I know I'm going to be adding to my bookshelves as this thread proceeds.

wil said:
But I'll back off a little and allow others to toss out some books, some thought that they feel are worthy of all of our consideration on this path.

I don't like to use the term "sacred" here because of the meanings a reader might pack into it, but the books that I find I come back to often as a way to look into myself are many. Obviously, I like the Bible, particularly Genesis, Job, Song of Songs, Ecclesiastes, Proverbs, the Gospels and the genuine Pauline Epistles. I also frequently go back to the Tao te Ching. The writings of Joseph Campbell are a huge part of my 'vehicle,' particularly "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" and his four-part anthology "The Masks of God." Friedrich Neitzsche's "Twilight of the Idols" and "Thus Spake Zarathustra" are among the top of the top for me and Carl Jung's essays on western religion.

I would also include the various parables and fictional literature written by Franz Kafka, Mark Twain, George Orwell, and James Joyce.

These represent the cream of the crop for me so far.

Abogado del Diablo said:
I don't like to use the term "sacred" here because of the meanings a reader might pack into it...
Good point, bad choice of words on my part.

Guess my issue being all things being holy....which do you like best?

If that is not logical is it possible for us to think of definition # 5 while posting?
sa·cred (s
amacr.gif
prime.gif
kr
ibreve.gif
d) adj.
  1. Dedicated to or set apart for the worship of a deity.
  2. Worthy of religious veneration: the sacred teachings of the Buddha.
  3. Made or declared holy: sacred bread and wine.
  4. Dedicated or devoted exclusively to a single use, purpose, or person: sacred to the memory of her sister; a private office sacred to the President.
  5. Worthy of respect; venerable.
  6. Of or relating to religious objects, rites, or practices.

wil said:
Good point, bad choice of words on my part.

Guess my issue being all things being holy....which do you like best?

If that is not logical is it possible for us to think of definition # 5 while posting?
sa·cred (s
amacr.gif
prime.gif
kr
ibreve.gif
d) adj.
  1. Dedicated to or set apart for the worship of a deity.
  2. Worthy of religious veneration: the sacred teachings of the Buddha.
  3. Made or declared holy: sacred bread and wine.
  4. Dedicated or devoted exclusively to a single use, purpose, or person: sacred to the memory of her sister; a private office sacred to the President.
  5. Worthy of respect; venerable.
  6. Of or relating to religious objects, rites, or practices.

I think that's a fair meaning we can use.

What are my favourite books??? I have never been able to answer this question. I'd like to read Lord of the Rings again sometime but it's a huge undertaking. Two other books that have had a powerful influence on me were Anne of Green Gables and Secret Garden. I read these books as an adolescent and they awakened in me a love and deep appreciation for nature that has only intensified over the years. It is this close link with nature that all of the players in Lord of the Rings have that makes it a special book (series) for me.

There is probably no book I've read more than the Bible. But I seldom read it anymore except for my studies and depending on what discussion comes up on the various religious boards where I post. I practically know the NT off by heart (just don't ask me to recite it) so I don't get around to reading it. My favourite parts of the Bible are the passages that emphasize nature, such as Gen. 1 and many of the psalms (clap your hands all ye forests and valley; sing your maker's praises)--that's just off the top of my head. I don't think you will find that exact wording anywhere in the Bible. There is also the Sermon on the Mount with its reference to the birds and lilies that I like. The other part I like about the Bible is its earthy portrayal of very real human drama.

I cannot imagine devoting so much study to any other book. It is the sacred text of Christianity and I want to understand Christianity thoroughly. This calls for significant study of the Bible.

The Four Agreements, don Miguel Ruiz I think a must for every bookshelf, and incredible stuff to bring to the table of life...whether tis Toltec or not.

short version attached...if you think these are worth putting on the bulletin board of your brain....get the book.

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you wonít be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

The scriptures I look to as a carrier of wisdom is the Judeo-Christian bible, with apocrypha.

Commentaries on the Bible that I look to are writings of the early church fathers and some Rabbinical sources. I also like Thomas Merton, Meister Eckhart, Matthew Fox, Keith Ward, Brian McLaren, and Rob Bell.

My list keeps growing and growing.

My top 5 favorite books. Not specifically in this order :

1. Book of Certitude
2. Bible
3. Gleanings of Baha'u'llah
4. Some Answered questions
5. Qu'ran

-seeker

The Four Agreements, don Miguel Ruiz I think a must for every bookshelf, and incredible stuff to bring to the table of life...whether tis Toltec or not.

short version attached...if you think these are worth putting on the bulletin board of your brain....get the book.

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word
Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don't Take Anything Personally
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you wonít be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don't Make Assumptions
Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse and regret.

I was talking about this book with someone not over a week ago. I've never read it, but he talked highly off it. Isn't the author some kind of Shaman or something?

I must czech it out now...

Love,

Back