Oneness and Diversity

flowperson

Oannes
Reaction score
In my daily meanderings around the net to download research information, I run across many interesting things.

Science and belief are probably the two most powerful cultural engines in today's world, and I believe that this posting from LiveScience demonstrates why that is so. This is the sort of thing that we all need to know more about, for it presents us with observed evidence that there are hopes that need to be described to the public and possibly expanded into action to assuage the harm that we humans have done to nature for many years. From what appears in this post, belief may have the power to affect and effect reality, at least when it comes to native and indigenous languages and beliefs.

I am especially encouraged by the fact that the U.S. government is funding further work in this area of understanding. It's not often these days that we Americans have the chance to speak positively regarding our Government's activities, so I didn't want to miss this chance.

I'd certainly welcome any comments or thoughts that any of you may have.

flow....:)

Extinction of Languages Puts Plants and Animals at Risk
By Corey Binns
Special to LiveScience
posted: 11 August 2006
02:01 pm ET

The ears of linguists, anthropologists, and conservationists perked up with the recent announcement that the federal government will continue to support the digital documentation of languages on the brink of extinction.

More than half of the world's 7,000 languages are endangered; many face extinction in the next century.

Interestingly, the projects funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) could save more than just a few mother tongues. It might also protect plants and animals.

Talk about diversity!

When the nonprofit organization Terralingua mapped the distribution of languages against a map of the world's biodiversity, it found that the places with the highest concentration of plants and animals, such as the Amazon Basin and the island of New Guinea, were also where people spoke the most languages.

As well as serving as indicators of biodiversity, languages also act as good signs of cultural diversity and a group's understanding of surrounding environments, because people store communal knowledge in their language.

"Wherever humans exist, they have established a strong relationship with the land, and with the biodiversity that exists there," said anthropologist and Terralingua President Luisa Maffi. "They have developed a deep knowledge of the plants and animals, the local ecology, as well as a knowledge about how to use and manage the resources to ensure continued sustenance of biodiversity."

Languages hold valuable knowledge about how to preserve biodiversity.

Native languages have many names for plants that describe how and where they grow, as well as their medicinal uses. But the meanings often do not survive translation from one language to another.

"If you've learned something about a plant from a speaker of an indigenous language, but you don't use the language, it's harder to pass on that knowledge," said linguist Pamela Munro of UCLA.

Destabilizing a forest

As one example, members of the Native American group called the Sekani practiced controlled burning of the forests of British Columbia to regenerate the forest and keep the understory clear for game animals. Their methods also kept the mountain pine beetle pest at bay.

A small pox epidemic decimated the indigenous people and the timber industry took over the management of the forests, putting a stop to the controlled burns.

Since the 1990's, without the regular burnings, the beetle's outbreak has destroyed more than 7 million acres of forest.

"The forests have been made unusable because the native populations have not been allowed to continue those practices," Maffi said. "Ultimately their communities will have to disperse, which will lead to a loss of cultural and linguistic diversity."

Ancient respect for fish

In Thailand, new protective measures are observing an age-old respect for one of the world's largest freshwater fish by following ancient fishing practices.

The Mekong giant catfish, called the "king of fish" in Cambodian, can grow to more than 10 feet in length and has a regal history.

Cave paintings in Thailand dating back 3,500 years illustrate the Mekong giant catfish's long-lived importance. Traditional fishermen in the northeast of Thailand have historically believed that they should not catch the fish. If they do, they hold a religious ceremony to ward off bad luck, burning an image of the fish.

This summer, in celebration of Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej, fishermen in Thailand and Laos took an oath to abide by these ancestral fishing taboos to avoid fishing the critically endangered beast. The fish is also legally protected in Cambodia.

By following tradition, the fishermen may save the catfish from being the first extinct casualty in the Mekong River, a diverse habitat that is home to more than 1,200 species.

Saving the salmon

Similarly, in Washington State, time-honored lessons are being heard.

Generations of the Tulalip and Yakima tribes and other Native American groups have relied on Pacific salmon as a key resource; they also value the fish very highly and harvest with forethought.

"They treat salmon with respect so that the fish return every year," said ethnobiologist Eugene Hunn of the University of Washington.

The tribes hold annual salmon ceremonies to honor the fish. The first catch of the season is celebrated with singing, dancing, and the passing of salmon tales from generation to generation.

Yet commercial fishing has led to drastic reductions in salmon populations—some species face endangerment.

Since a 1974 decision upheld the Indian's rights to harvest fish, the tribes and the Washington Department of Fisheries have collaborated to maintain a healthy population of Pacific salmon that will return to spawn in the Columbia River and east of the Cascade Mountains.

"Salmon is sacred to them not just as a matter of maximizing profit," Hunn told LiveScience. "To preserve a resource for the people of your community for the future without end imposes a different attitude toward the fish. Now, these attitudes have become more widely recognized."

Hi and Peace--

Thank you, Flow! This is good news to me, and news I can understand completely. This may not sound very scientific, but it is: When I was away from my pets for a long period of time recently, I knew that no one but me spoke to them in certain specific "language". My husband has his own rapport with them, but there are some things I say and do that come only from me. My heart ached knowing that I could not be there with them to communicate with them in the way only they and I understand. And my husband reported that it made a difference in their behavior. Small potatoes, perhaps, compared to everything you listed, but still one link in the story.

InPeace,
InLove

flowperson said:
In my daily meanderings around the net to download research information, I run across many interesting things.

Science and belief are probably the two most powerful cultural engines in today's world, and I believe that this posting from LiveScience demonstrates why that is so. This is the sort of thing that we all need to know more about, for it presents us with observed evidence that there are hopes that need to be described to the public and possibly expanded into action to assuage the harm that we humans have done to nature for many years. From what appears in this post, belief may have the power to affect and effect reality, at least when it comes to native and indigenous languages and beliefs.

I am especially encouraged by the fact that the U.S. government is funding further work in this area of understanding. It's not often these days that we Americans have the chance to speak positively regarding our Government's activities, so I didn't want to miss this chance.

I'd certainly welcome any comments or thoughts that any of you may have.

flow....:)

Saving the salmon

Similarly, in Washington State, time-honored lessons are being heard.

Generations of the Tulalip and Yakima tribes and other Native American groups have relied on Pacific salmon as a key resource; they also value the fish very highly and harvest with forethought.

"They treat salmon with respect so that the fish return every year," said ethnobiologist Eugene Hunn of the University of Washington.

The tribes hold annual salmon ceremonies to honor the fish. The first catch of the season is celebrated with singing, dancing, and the passing of salmon tales from generation to generation.

Yet commercial fishing has led to drastic reductions in salmon populations—some species face endangerment.

Since a 1974 decision upheld the Indian's rights to harvest fish, the tribes and the Washington Department of Fisheries have collaborated to maintain a healthy population of Pacific salmon that will return to spawn in the Columbia River and east of the Cascade Mountains.

"Salmon is sacred to them not just as a matter of maximizing profit," Hunn told LiveScience. "To preserve a resource for the people of your community for the future without end imposes a different attitude toward the fish. Now, these attitudes have become more widely recognized."

I'm afraid this part about the salmon is not altogether correct. I am personally aware of this because I was there, and had to act as mediary between the fishermen and the natives. The natives wanted two things, all non native fishermen to be banned from fishing in "their waters", due to treaties signed decades before, and the right to use gill nets to harvest as much fish as they wanted, while no one else was allowed to use the same.

They also wanted fishing for salmon to be made illegal for anyone other than themselves, which understandibly resulted in the "fish wars" during the late 70s and early 80s.

It wasn't to preserve the species (obviously using gill nets is a dead give away, pardon the pun), but greed. The Japanese for example would pay as much as $25.00 per pound of Salmon, the the natives wanted that piece of the pie for themselves.

This would have effectively put the fishing industry in the North West into bankruptcy, and the natives could have cared less, it was pay back time (vengeance).

The third and final drive for this "war" was (bigotry). Surprisingly, it wasn't initiated on the part of the non-native. However, it soon became mutual in intensity and animosity. From this also developed a (hatred) on both parties' parts for those that were in authority over the issue. The local natives would use gill nets to foul the drives of marine patrol and Coast Guard patrol boats, or hide dead heads and logger heads just under the water to disable or sink said patrol boats, while some of the non-natives took more drastic measures.

One particular incident involved two non-native fishermen who decided to keep the Coast Guard out of the picture permanently. They took a large slug of roundstock brass, and turned it on a lathe, to the shape of a small cannon. After inserting a steel sleeve, they designed it to fire a 2-1/2 inch steel ball bearing, then tied it to their Seigner's bow and went fishing for Salmon (illegally). Of course the Coast Guard comes along to enforce the law, and man did the fishermen have a surprise waiting for the 82 Foot Patrolboat!

Only problem is they were so drunk by the time the Coast Guard arrived, they couldn't get the cannon lit off. Subsequent test firing of the cannon with the charge they had, resulted in a 1/4" thick steel plate 4' x 8' being vaporized by the impact of the projectile. Had they succeeded in their objective, the patrol boat would have sunk in seconds by the fishermen.

I think you and I are aware, not everything is as it appears in published history, and history is written to favor those the writer prefers.

v/r

Q

Hi, Peace All--

I have a question. I am just wondering if the government or any of the people doing the fishing before all the trouble broke out tried to renegotiate the treaty before they fished in these waters?

(I am asking sincerely, not attempting to be rhetorical or anything. Just wondering....)

InPeace,
InLove

InLove said:
Hi, Peace All--

I have a question. I am just wondering if the government or any of the people doing the fishing before all the trouble broke out tried to renegotiate the treaty before they fished in these waters?

InPeace,
InLove

Sure did, but then the 'lawyers' got in the way...:(

Gee...I wonder who brought in the alchohol ?

Thanks for the first hand info Q. I ran into similar situations in N. Michigan in the 70's and 80's.

Of course now Indian "gaming" operations across the USA are taking twice as much from the wagering public each year than do the operations in Vegas...$22 billion last year.

Revenge of the Natives... or more spreading of the tentacles of Euro-centric corruptions ?

But of course the article I posted was about the scientifically verified interconnections between and among native cultural beliefs, language, and the viability of the plants and animals in an indigenous community's environments. What were your thoughts on the gist of these findings ?

flow....;)

Back