What is Christianity, Who is Jesus?

Re: The Trinity of Christianity

JustifiedByFaith said:
Dear Saltmeister, I think it is to be conformed into His image by (Sanctification) through the Holy Spirit. What do you think?

I agree, but what I personally think is not necessarily what everyone else thinks, so the issue can be open to anyone aligned to the label of "Christianity." Everyone approaches it differently, and due to our limited knowledge and experience as humans I guess even Christianity can't be summed up in a single view but must be explored (both in written texts and in reflective thought). Some people see a different purpose for Christianity and have a different agenda. We all have agendas.

Who is to say what's essential/unessential and what's legitimate/illegitimate in Christianity when what we've explored is but a small piece of Christianity?

Some of us will agree on the central concept(s). But others may have something different. Can we, or they, say that either is wrong?

For example, not everyone believes Jesus should be special. Some do. There is the temptation to either think that those that treat Christ as special are doing it wrong, or that those who think he's not special are doing it wrong. I could disagree with someone's view, but that's only because they're not aligned to the same agenda as I am.

So who is to say what Christianity's real purpose is? Let's just share what we think. Let it just be a matter of explaining and justifying ourselves. Personal experience can go a long way.:)

Saltmeister said:
I agree, but what I personally think is not necessarily what everyone else thinks, so the issue can be open to anyone aligned to the label of "Christianity." Everyone approaches it differently, and due to our limited knowledge and experience as humans I guess even Christianity can't be summed up in a single view but must be explored (both in written texts and in reflective thought). Some people see a different purpose for Christianity and have a different agenda. We all have agendas.

Who is to say what's essential/unessential and what's legitimate/illegitimate in Christianity when what we've explored is but a small piece of Christianity?

Some of us will agree on the central concept(s). But others may have something different. Can we, or they, say that either is wrong?

For example, not everyone believes Jesus should be special. Some do. There is the temptation to either think that those that treat Christ as special are doing it wrong, or that those who think he's not special are doing it wrong. I could disagree with someone's view, but that's only because they're not aligned to the same agenda as I am.

So who is to say what Christianity's real purpose is? Let's just share what we think. Let it just be a matter of explaining and justifying ourselves. Personal experience can go a long way.:)

I believe what is being asked here is an exercise in "apologetics"...;)

v/r

Q

Saltmeister said:
I agree, but what I personally think is not necessarily what everyone else thinks, so the issue can be open to anyone aligned to the label of "Christianity."
Dear Saltmeister,

That's right, thank God for the 1st Amendment.:) This way people can share thier opinions when asked, and not get ruffled when others have opposing views, huh?

cyberpi said:
If the author was someone other than God (swt) or Christ (pbuh), then I do NOT consider it Christianity. For me, Christianity means the teaching from Jesus Christ (pbuh). What does it mean to you?

As Saltmeister pointed out, Chrisitanity is much more than just the teachings of Jesus as recorded in the NT. In case you have not noticed, Jesus taught nothing new. He just repeated common philosophy of the day. Christianity to me means a certain culture that Caucasians in North America inherited from their European ancestors. That's because I'm a North American Caucasian.

Church history reveals the mistakes of men and I read that it's teaching has often been 180 degrees away from Christ (pbuh).

If you think a certain teaching is not Christian, all you are doing is expressing your personal opinion. You have a right to that opinion but you have no right imposing that opinion on me as a truth of Christianity.

I may not be a good Christian by the majority, nor a good Muslim, but I will pray in a mosque on Friday and attend church on Sunday.

I will pray at any street corner or bus stop and also in my home or abywhere else I go. Prayer for me is not a formal thing. It is a constant relationship with God. Like the apostle Paul said, "Pray without ceasing."

Do you know many who will?

I don't know too much about the religious life of the people I see. You are the first person who tells me he prays in a mosque on Fridays. If that is a Muslim custom, then I assume many of the Muslims I know do it. I don't know what the Mennonite Muslims do on Fridays.

What church do you attend?

Do you mean as in organized religion? Or as in spiritual communion with God? I have not been in a church building in a long time. Churches don't minister to my spiritual needs. Like I said, I am in constant communion with God. That means "church" can be anywhere.

I was baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit... albeit with a sprinkle and not the dunk.

So was I.

My children were baptized.

As infants or as adults? I have no idea where your family is at.

Yet, I can easily reject the Trinity as commonly expressed. So if you know what I understand and accept, is that by my post alone?

I am not sure what you mean here. If I remember correctly, you did not state a personal position in your post. What you wrote sounded like a person who is making fun of traditional Christian tenets. I cannot correctly judge a person's behaviour and beliefs by one internet post, if that is what you mean. Thus, your posts are one indication of who you are. Over time, an individual's posts show a pattern of thought and behaviour. A human being is so complex that only God can fully know a person. You come across to me as one of the more complex humans around with a very complex intellect. I will not pretend to know you fully. Nor your beliefs. I had no idea you went to a Christian church. I just somehow or other got the impression that you are a Muslim.

You know what I find truly sad? There is no open confession of sin at the baptisms in the churches that I have seen, as described in Matthew 3:6 and Mark 1:5. It scares away the masses. Why? Do you know a church that combines confession of sins and baptism?

Yesssss. Of course I do. I guess you will have to try the Mennonites. They sure believe in public confession of sin. Read my post 44 on this thread. To see an English translation of the Confession of Faith by which I was instructed for believer's baptism see the Dordtrecht Confession of Faith.

I see that confession and repentance is the most important part. Don't you?

Depends what you mean by this. I don't believe in it the way the conservative Mennonite churches teach it. It debases the human being and that is not what Jesus was about.

At least the RC has confession somewhere, albeit wrongly hidden away in a dark and secretive closet. Can you show me where in the bible it teaches to confess a sin in a closet?

Yes. Matt. 18:15 15 “If another member of the churchd sins against you,e go and point out the fault when the two of you are alone.http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftn3 d Gk If your brother

e Other ancient authorities lack against you

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftnref3The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1996, c1989 (Mt 18:15). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

You're supposed to talk in privacy with a person who has offended you. The flip side of the coin is that the offender can confess in privacy. Thus, confessing one's sins in private is very much appropriate. Matt. 6:6 also speaks about things that should be performed in privacy.

6 But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.bhttp://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftn2 b Other ancient authorities add openly

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#_ftnref2The Holy Bible : New Revised Standard Version. 1996, c1989 (Mt 6:6). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

As far as I know, everyone can learn by reading, brain-storming, imagination, and making mistakes. But Christianity is by definition NOT defined by brain-storms or imagination. Christianity is defined by God (swt) and Jesus Christ (pbuh). Agreed?

Exactly what do you mean by "defining Christianity"? Here you can see the method by which one organization defined Christianity. It's probably one of the more civil methods by which Christianity has been defined over the millennia. For much of its history Christianity has been defined by the war weapons of the age. This continues to the present day.

One or two other members have also responded to this so I won't go into what they have already covered. Why do you put those letters in brackets after God's and Jesus' names? That is not a Christian tradition; it's something Muslims do. So anyway, that's a major reason I responded to you as a Muslim and not a Christian. Also, if you as a Muslim-Christian do it, you are defining Christianity in yet another way. Nowhere in the Bible are we commanded to do this so it seems that you yourself draw on traditions that are not mandated by the Christian God or by Jesus. Thus, I think by the time everything has been said and done you have few fingers of blame left to point at Christians and how they define their religion.

Moved part of the Trinity of Christianity thread to this new one, as we were really heading in a direction of addressing Christianity, Jesus, and what He may or may not represent. ;)

v/r

Q

"And man said: "Let us make God in our image ..."

I think I need to be careful when my definition of Christianity is whatever "resonates" with me as an individual. It is true that we each have a personal relationship with God - it is a loving relationship, but not an equal one. He's the Man!

I know there are different interpretations of the Scriptures, but our relationship with God, the Lord Jesus Christ, must first of all be soundly based in God's Word. Our daily walk with Him, as we face varying situations, is then guided by that understanding.

Quahom1 said:
I believe what is being asked here is an exercise in "apologetics"...;)

v/r

Q

What do you mean by "apologetics?"

It's not that I don't have some idea of what "apologetics" is about. I am aware of a certain group of Christians that go around with an approach to "explaining Christianity" called "apologetics" but I have no real idea of what "apologetics" really involves. I thought it was just a system of thought . . . or something like that.

I looked up the term in the dictionary and all it says is that it's about making apologies.

Oh I see, it must be what I said in the last paragraph about "explaining and justifying ourselves.":D

Saltmeister said:
What do you mean by "apologetics?"

Oh I see, it must be what I said in the last paragraph about "explaining and justifying ourselves.":D

;)

Easy answers to thread title.

Christianity is a monotheistic religion centered on Jesus of Nazareth, and on his life and teachings in the New Testament. Christians believe Jesus to be the Messiah and God incarnate and refer to him as Jesus Christ.

from wikipedia seems to answer both questions. If I had to add to it I would add Savior.

Quahom1 said:
The true Humanist has only one God...himself. There is no room for the supernatural, there is no tolerance for a "being" that determines what will be for an individual, save for the individual themself. To a Humanist, "God" is dead, long live the new god...
Quahom1,

Not only that, but everything in life for the Humanist is based on what works best for each individual and meets our individual selfish needs. There is absolute tolerance for everything....as long as it's not Christian based ideas of course.:eek:

Back