Jesus and Liberal Christianity

Blue Jay

Reaction score
I have some questions about Jesus and Liberal Christianity. I read some things that Taijasi said about esoteric Christianity. What about ordinary liberal Christians who don't go for the estoeric teachings?

Maybe this is just another way of saying the same thing Wil said in Jesus, Christ, et al, but I didn't really see anybody talking much about the specific questions I have.

I don't know if I should post it as another post in Wil's thread or start a new thread. It seems like a new thread would be best because I have a list of questions I am interested in.

Here are some of my questions, though not necessarily listed in order of importance:
  1. Who do Liberal Christians think Jesus is?
  2. What role do they think Jesus has in salvation?
  3. Is the crucifixion important to salvation for Liberal Christianity?
  4. What is salvation?
  5. What is sin?
  6. Is there such a thing as sin? If not, what must we be saved from?
  7. Is salvation necessary? If not, what role does Jesus play?
  8. Is the Jesus story best seen as historical event or as Sacred Myth?
  9. Does Liberal Christianity need Jesus?
  10. Why? (for any question you answer but esp. Questions 8 & 9)
For all of these questions I am interested in what Liberal Christians think. I know the traditional orthodox teachings.

BJ

Namaste BJ

1. Who do Liberal Christians think Jesus is? In all of these I can only tell you what this Christian thinks...and I've been called all sorts of stuff, liberal being one of them. Jesus to me was a man who realized his oneness with all that is and showed others what man's potential truly is.
  2. What role do they think Jesus has in salvation? Jesus is our elder brother and wayshower...he blazed a path, made things obvious through his salvation, we realize we too can move forward in this life, like one who broke the four minute mile, or climbed Everest, suddenly the impossible is possible, this realization is our salvation.
  3. Is the crucifixion important to salvation for Liberal Christianity? We all have our cross to bear, we all nail ourselves to it on a regular basis, he showed that a. he wished to avoid it (take this cup from me), and b. that it can be surpassed.
  4. What is salvation? Realizing that we are one, one with each other, Ye are G-ds, I and the Father are one, created and creator, co-creators with this reality, of all the things 'liberal Christianity' removed from me, I miss blame the most.
  5. What is sin? Missing the mark, not doing what you know is right, not attempting what you know is possible. We are not punished for our sins...but by them.
  6. Is there such a thing as sin? If not, what must we be saved from? We are not punished for our sins...but by them.
  7. Is salvation necessary? If not, what role does Jesus play? Salvation is the end result, no matter how many lives it takes. Jesus was another one of the teachers...following in the footsteps of Buddha, Krishna, Mohamed, Lao Tzu...or thousands of others will assist you in finding oneness as well.
  8. Is the Jesus story best seen as historical event or as Sacred Myth? Yes, whatever it takes to get one moving to a higher level of understanding of this world but not in it.
  9. Does Liberal Christianity need Jesus? Yes, he is my guide my mentor. Of course without him, I could have chosen another guide, or decided to go within and learn for myself...but again, who knows how many more lifetimes that would have took (or how many more it will take)
  10. Why? (for any question you answer but esp. Questions 8 & 9) I think I answered my why's in the questions....again these are my thoughts and interpretations...I cannot answer for anyone else. And this is my current thought, I can't be held accountable for these answers and deny future growth.

wil said:

I think I answered my why's in the questions....again these are my thoughts and interpretations...I cannot answer for anyone else. And this is my current thought, I can't be held accountable for these answers and deny future growth.

Thank you, Wil. I just came from reading "Did Jesus Die" on the Esoteric forum. I left a note there. That thread is really helpful to me in understanding your answers here.

I learned a LOT of new ideas from that thread, esp. from the things you and Taijasi posted. I am even beginning to make some sense of the esoteric teachings. At first I didn't think I ever would but there was a lot of background on that thread that helped me.

Since you say that you speak only for yourself I welcome answers from others if they wish to respond.

BJ

Hi Wil -

We are not punished for our sins...but by them.

That is a brilliant observation. If I could swap one 'orthodox' view for one 'liberal' view, it would be that.

Thomas

Hi Wil -

We are not punished for our sins...but by them.

That is a brilliant observation. If I could swap one 'orthodox' view for one 'liberal' view, it would be that.

Thomas
Namaste Thomas....

Ready to barter? Which 'orthodox' view that I don't currently hold do you believe I would like to.

This isn't a joke, I feel you are aware of my understandings, twould be interesting to see...now this is more like a hug than an exchange, the more you give the more you get, neither of us loses our current view, just adds a new perspective.

Gosh I like that analogy. Can it play out. Imagine your religion has its window on the world...and you have a few walls without windows. Opening yourself up to new thought still leaves you with your religion, your view, but just puts an opening in another wall, and gives one another perspective...

Oh how I love how the neuronet works when a tendrile grows or shifts to a another location and the little electrochemical impulses start jumping new synapses...bless you Thomas and BlueJay for the instigation and Thank You G-d!

Now you all may think I'm nuts, but I do so enjoy my little moments.

Hi Wil –

That's a good question! And deserving of a considered the answer ...

Thomas

I'm so confused! :p

Wil, are you asking Thomas to pick an orthodox view for you that he feels is most critical or most uplifiting or most illuminating?

If so, interesting experiment!

Wouldn't it be interesting if we each could really convey to others the very heart of our own faith.

I'm so confused! :p

Wil, are you asking Thomas to pick an orthodox view for you that he feels is most critical or most uplifiting or most illuminating?
As I've indicated before I'm a fan of the seven habits by Covey. A favorite is 'seek first to understand, then to be understood'.

Can you imagine Thomas offering me something I wouldn't want? I couldn't and especially can't after his reply. I have been attending Jewish services occassionally wow what they have to offer is incredible.

This place provides such a wealth and breadth of opinion, belief and thought it is truly wonderful to be stretched...and challenged. Taking care to hold ones belief and principles in discussion is such a task, it really identifies weaknesses.

But the flip side...Thomas admiring a thought, which obviously he can have if he wishes...but the gift of his thoughtful consideration as to what tool he has in his basket that he knows would benefit me...what could be grander?

Hi Wil -

Well, being somewhat sneaky, I would offer the Catholic view of the actuality of Revelation – so as a summary of that position, below is a paragraph from the Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation, one of the four principle documents of Vatican II, which I offer for your contemplation:

In His goodness and wisdom God chose to reveal Himself and to make known to us the hidden purpose of His will (see Eph. 1:9) by which through Christ, the Word made flesh, man might in the Holy Spirit have access to the Father and come to share in the divine nature (see Eph. 2:18; 2 Peter 1:4). Through this revelation, therefore, the invisible God (see Col. 1;15, 1 Tim. 1:17) out of the abundance of His love speaks to men as friends (see Ex. 33:11; John 15:14-15) and lives among them (see Bar. 3:38), so that He may invite and take them into fellowship with Himself. This plan of revelation is realized by deeds and words having in inner unity: the deeds wrought by God in the history of salvation manifest and confirm the teaching and realities signified by the words, while the words proclaim the deeds and clarify the mystery contained in them. By this revelation then, the deepest truth about God and the salvation of man shines out for our sake in Christ, who is both the mediator and the fullness of all revelation.

Sneaky because of its depth and profundity – suffice to say that 40 years later, theologians agree there is still much work to be done in unlocking this document.

If you wish to read further, it can be found here:
DOGMATIC CONSTITUTION ON DIVINE REVELATION "DEI VERBUM"

Pax,

Thomas

Thomas

In His goodness and wisdom God chose to reveal Himself and to make known to us the hidden purpose of His will (see Eph. 1:9) by which through Christ, the Word made flesh, man might in the Holy Spirit have access to the Father and come to share in the divine nature (see Eph. 2:18; 2 Peter 1:4). Through this revelation, therefore, the invisible God (see Col. 1;15, 1 Tim. 1:17) out of the abundance of His love speaks to men as friends (see Ex. 33:11; John 15:14-15) and lives among them (see Bar. 3:38), so that He may invite and take them into fellowship with Himself. This plan of revelation is realized by deeds and words having in inner unity: the deeds wrought by God in the history of salvation manifest and confirm the teaching and realities signified by the words, while the words proclaim the deeds and clarify the mystery contained in them. By this revelation then, the deepest truth about God and the salvation of man shines out for our sake in Christ, who is both the mediator and the fullness of all revelation.
Namaste Sneaky...

Good stuff. I bolded what I thought particularly poignant...

The hidden purpose of His will that man might in the Holy Spirit have access to the Father and come to share in the divine nature .

God
may invite and take them into fellowship with Himself.

The deeds wrought by God confirm the teaching and realities signified by the words, and clarify the mystery contained in them.

Now I regularly get accused of twisting words. Of taking things out of context. Of seeing things that are not there.

But to me I am reading here that we all have that divine nature, that Christ/G-d within, and Christ came to show us the connection.

I and Daddy are one...not this big seperateness, duality but oneness, Jesus preached it, and realized it as the Christ and showed us our potential. My relationship with source is one of an internal connection, of virtual high fiving, of singing together in the choir, of sharing life experiences...

And then that last line....looking into all the smiting and plagues and vengeful nature and confusing texts....Jesus in his explanations and parables opened the door for examination of all scripture to find the deeper meanings...the mystery contained within...

I thoroughly appreciate your quote, it absolutely resonates with my thought. The rest of the text is quite interesting...I can't say I'm married to the apostolic succession...I believe Christ made us all successors of the majesty tore the veil and no longer required us to go through mediators...only through his nature...

I knew you could provide me with a foothold to gain appreciation, in my way, to the teachings you study....thank you so much.

Hi Wil –

But to me I am reading here that we all have that divine nature, that Christ/G-d within, and Christ came to show us the connection.

I think we in the Catholic Church see it not so much as a connection as a vocation ... I fear I am obliged to say such, lest my silence be read as allowing you to assume something we do not teach.

'that divine nature' is not our human nature – or put another way, human nature is not in and of itself divine – if it were, then the question would be how can it not know itself, how can it err, if that which is divine is perfect?

And if we say we are imperfect, then we cannot say we are divine ...

... but we do say that human nature is open to the Divine and, God willing, can partake of the Divine by filiation, adoption, or, as you picked out "man might in the Holy Spirit have access to the Father and come to share in the divine nature" ... and there, for us the emphasis lies, not in ourselves, but in the Holy Spirit which transforms us ...

Thomas

connection v. vocation...

can you ellaborate?

Our job our calling to increase the 'connection' with the divine?

I accept the imperfection....but I see a faucet, and I choose to shut it off or let it flow???

Hi Wil –

Human nature is a created nature, the soul is likewise a created essence, whereas God in Uncreated ...

... we are made in His likeness and His image, but we are made, so on these grounds we might say there is an immeasurable distance between man and God, in fact one could say man shares more in common with anything and everything else in the Kosmos, than God ...

In like fashion, we believe that Christ, in the Incarnation, 'became man' – not 'became a man' – an instance and contingent mode of being of a genus and species, but 'became man' in that He is the Incarnation of the Principle of Personhood as it manifests in the material realm, so anything He effects in Himself, in His humanity, (as He has no need to effect anything in his Divinity) effects us all in principle by virtue of that fact: "Behold, I make all things new." (Rev 21:5)

Curiously, as I understand it, Buddhism holds to the same idea in that there are 32 (I think) signs by which one can recognise the Buddha – not because one Buddha is the 'spitting image' of another, but that they are manifestations not of Siddhārtha Gautama, but of the Principle of Buddha Nature.

(There's a huge discussion of reincarnation here, in that 'you' do not reincarnate, but rather the principle of life that animates you reincarnates, in a world that is progressively better or worse according to the law of karma ... I am hoping to debate this one day, as I have something of a suspicion that the West, which is so intensely person-focussed, assumes that reincarnation refers to something they can identify with 'myself' ... that 'I' will come back as another permutation of 'me' whereas, as I understand it, the person is an ephemeral chimera in that regard, it is 'life' that goes on, not 'you' ... but I could well be wrong.)

Anyway ... the point is 'we' are not divine, and God is not 'in me' according to my nature or essence, but according to Grace, the divine can dwell in us, as it can in all things, but we are 'gifted' in that we can know and commune with the Divine, in some mysterious way ...

Meister Eckhart spoke about this when he talked of the 'Incarnation in the soul' – a 'virgin birth' because it is a miraculous gift and not according to any natural operation (hence our refutation of Pelagianism) – as Jesus said: "for without me you can do nothing." (John 15:5)

We see this work as utterly Trinitarian – we are drawn to the Father, made known to us by the Son, and we in turn are perfected by the Power of the Holy Spirit ...

Thomas

Namaste my brother...good stuff, like to delve into that reincarnation some more...looking forward to your thread.

Again my problem is doing the math. It is said that G-d is in Heaven. And Jesus is there at his right hand. Well we know that I think that all metaphor of sorts (hands etc.) but Jesus also said look neither high nor low, here nor there, the kingdom is in our midst, or within...

So that puts my connection awfully close, it puts G-d and Christ in each one of us. With modern science I look at string theory and wormholes and see that I have access to all that is...right within my heart. Maybe not physically the heart, some say it is the base of the brain, but the access is through the thought that is my heart...my thought.

Ahh, now we're getting close to the same ground ...

Namaste my brother...good stuff, like to delve into that reincarnation some more...looking forward to your thread.

Pax vobiscum, Wil ... but I'm not sure if I shall go there, unless someone like Vajradhara wants to pick it up. I'm not in mind to argue the point, just a 'yes' or a 'no' from an orthodox perspective.

Again my problem is doing the math. It is said that G-d is in Heaven. And Jesus is there at his right hand. Well we know that I think that all metaphor of sorts (hands etc.) but Jesus also said look neither high nor low, here nor there, the kingdom is in our midst, or within...

Yes. I would say 'within' in the sense of you will find it through your heart, not through this or that.

So that puts my connection awfully close, it puts G-d and Christ in each one of us.

I would have to disagree ... actually no, that's too harsh, I would have to express a reservation – such phraseology would suggest that God is at your disposal?

With modern science I look at string theory and wormholes and see that I have access to all that is ...

Ah, now 'access' to something is not quite the same as being that thing ... I have access to the Divine, but I am not Divine by nature.

right within my heart.
I would say through the Way of the Heart, in common, I think, to many if not most traditions.

Again, I am not saying you are right, or wrong, I'm trying to see how you determine a distinction between God and man.

Thomas

...such phraseology would suggest that God is at your disposal?

.... I am not Divine by nature....

...I'm trying to see how you determine a distinction between God and man....
You know the more we look into this the more I think the difference between "ortho" and "lib" is such minute nuance. from the perspective of face to face the chasms seem large...but like if you look at the big bang till now being 24 hours I think man came in in the last few seconds, and if we look at all the portions of thought being 24 hours we disagree only on a few seconds...and we truly agree at some level...tis the surface nuance that gets wavy...

Again the math, G-d made us in His image, and after we ate the apple He said, they have become like us. I truly see us as divine by nature, but bastardized by the material world. We got all these notions and physical emotions and temporary pleasures and greed and envy and material ego gratifications get in the way...

This is to me why some retreat to the monastary...because it is the only way for them to focus on G-d...to separate themselves from the temptation. This is why Muslims put women in the back, a Muslim man cannot focus on his prayers if he is watching a woman's rear bend over and prostrate herself in front of him...despite the burka, he is a man, of this world...and he needs the assistance to find his connection..his divine nature. Orthodox Jewish schools seperate the girls and the boys in religous classes by a barrier, a wall...same reason.

We out in this world have made another choice....some have made the choice to live in it, revel in it...others have chose to follow the master, and be in the world but not of it....quite the challenge.

Is G-d at my disposal...hmmm I don't like the word disposal, that is the thing in the sink that grinds up the garbage...uh oh...metaphor alert, maybe I do? Back to the other thought I don't see G-d at our beck and call, but also there every second when we need it.... follow my drift...not at my command...but there when I decide to open myself up. ie I can't be fully in the material world and have access to source...I've got to make the effort and the move...but every move I make one has already been made in my direction...that whole omnipresent thang.

Now what is the distinction between G-d and man? Would it be to obvious or smart ass to say Jesus? I think he defines the distinction, foot in both worlds as it were...

thoroughly enjoying this Thomas.

wil

A comment on reincarnation in the context of Divine Nature vs. Human nature, and where/how these two natures intersect ... if from a Theosophical or esoteric Christian viewpoint:

I would provide a link to a chart, posted here by Nick the Pilot, on the What is Theosophy thread. In the simpler of the two charts (thanks, Nick, mine has too many details!) ... Bishop Leadbeater considers our Divine Nature to be so much more important, relative to our human, that he has left out the direct correspondences entirely! (see much further below, and my quote from John)

If you look, you'll see that he shows a correspondence between the Threefold Nature of the Parent (or Transcendent) Trinity ... as reflecting itself into the Spiritual Triad of an individual human being. The former, Leadbeater calls the Triple Manifestation of the Logos, and even in terms of Theosophical or esoteric teachings it is altogether beyond the range or ken of humanity's spiritual evolution.

I believe that this corresponds to, or makes allowance for, anyone's insistence, inkling, or `gut feeling' (however firmly we wish to base our viewpoint on convention, tradition and doctrine) ... that humanity is not, in & of itself, unconditionally or without caveat `Divine.' Thomas, I'm thinking in terms which accommodate your own expressed beliefs - and presentation of Catholic theology - yet also with regard to a more conservative, or even more traditional, background.

Again, I know charts are just two-dimensional sketches, and sometimes I wince at them, nowadays, when I think what I've been through in my journey of incorporating (sic!) into my life the truths which they are supposed to represent ... but still, relative to the wonderful dialogue and exchange which I've been following between you two (wil and Thomas), I thought this 2-D chart might help clarify.

I would have to say that, of course, many a Buddhist - including Vajradhara, no doubt - would regard the Theosophical teaching as erroneous, since Shakyamuni is supposed to have denied a reincarnating Individuality, by whatever name we wish to regard to it. Yet I would humbly submit that this teaching (the Theosophical, or esoteric), makes every allowance for the emphasis that the Buddha was trying to make, and the errors of interpretation which he was making sure to avoid. Further explanation might require volumes (and qualifications I do not have), but if I can at all shorten my posts - or punctuate them by minimizing topics - I'd really rather do so! ;) :p :)

Thus, if you've seen the chart Nick posted, also scroll up to notice my chart from Alice Bailey's writings, and notice the similarity, yet also the yellow triangle which Bailey provides as representative - on the plane of Higher Mind - of `the spiritual Ego,' or Soul (Atma, Buddhia, Manas).

Leadbeater does not represent it specifically, or via symbol, yet he does spell out `The Causal Body' on the chart which Nick uploaded. And in both Theosophical and other esoteric teachings, such as in FreeMasonry, the symbolic term often used for this vehicle of consciousness is `The Temple of Solomon.' Other terms include Karana Sarira, karanatman, and karanopadhi ... and so forth.

One meaning provided, then, for Christ's utterance in Matthew 6:19-21, is that the Causal Body, or Temple of Solomon (symbolically, allegorically) is being referenced. According to the charts provided, and esoteric teachings, our physical body, our emotional (astral) body, and even our mental (mind) body are temporal, mortal, and ultimately emphemeral ... in the sense that they are composed primarily of a rupa - or form-nature, and only partially infused, or ensouled by Spirit, Life, or a Consciousness-Nature.

So when, as a Theosophist or esotericist, even a Liberal or Esoteric Christian, I myself - or many others - speak of a Divine Nature, inherent in man [Humanity] ... it is by no means that I am suggesting something out of line with the ancient, traditional and esoteric teachings on this subject, as presented within the Mystery Traditions.

I think we will find that, experientially, no matter what we do, we will do well to check ourself (and our beliefs, and whatever doctrines we've come to embrace) by Christ's own words, in John 14:10:
Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me?
the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself:
but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
So here is Jesus, Christed Jesus even, seeking to direct our attention and focus away from outward appearances, and even away from his own Person, or personality ... and toward something (or Some`ONE') else "entirely" (I qualify this word, but I think Jesus was gently scolding Philip, and reminding His disicples, when he uttered the above). Why?

Why else, if not to remind them, that even the Son of God, the Christed MAN, elsewhere said to have been at-one'd with OUR Father, was not yet the "Whole" Man, or the Whole Manifestation of Godhood/Godhead!

So much for "fully human, fully Divine!"

The Divine Aspects of an individual human being, as presented by Theosophists, and esotericists of all different schools and flavors, include Atma (our link, or connection with "Pure" Spirit), Buddhi (which is our Unity, or Oneness, with the Unary Spiritual Soul of all of Humanity) and Manas (which is more or less the Individual, Reincarnating Ego, or Soul, of a human being).

The confusion will enter in, if I may be so bold, when we make the cognitive, metaphysical, ontological, theological or otherwise interpretative mistake - in our own understanding - of taking this Reincarnating, Individual SOUL (`Ego') to be ME, Myself, and `I.' ;) :)

The confusion is quite the same, in terms of our deeper consciousness, as might arise if - understandably - we looked at the Theosophists' use of this word `Ego,' and, forgetting its simple reference to the `I am' consciousness, assume that it means the same as the ego concept from modern psychology. To be fair, the term was present, and pervasive, in Theosopical usage, long before it had become so popular and emphasized by the Freudian school ... in modern psychology.

So, naturally enough - and here is where, among other places, the Buddhist contribution truly shines - if we pretend, or believe, even for a moment, that it is the psychological ego which is the "real man," which survives bodily death, and either enters a permanent heaven, or returns to reincarnation (depending on our religious standpoint) ... then indeed, we have missed the proverbial boat entirely.

Temporary ego dissolution - and transcendence, whether brought about ("aided," or caused) by psychoactive substances, or facilitated by spiritual, meditative or other disciplinary practices ... does not require physical death at all - or even, I would submit, spiritual or religious belief(s), as when drug-induced by an agnostic/atheist.

I think it behooves us to ask what it is which the Mystic has been experiencing all this time, when s/he goes beyond the ego of psychology, and enters into a life-changing, if temporary, state of union, bliss and `Oneness' with God, the Soul, and even `the Totality of Being,' as some mystics have put it.

If I wanted to make only one point in this entire post, it would be to say I believe there is a Divine Aspect (err, all THREE, actually) present, or latent, within every Human being ... and that this does not contradict the teachings of Christianity, even if it may not jibe with a more rigid, strict application of Catholic doctrines, or of some of the more conservative aspects of a Fundamental Christianity, as presented and being discussed on other threads here at CR.

And to borrow one of the oldest metaphors and beautific images associated with the path of spiritual development, I would add that I believe our progress is more than resemblant of the unfoldment of the Lotus Flower. The inner, Spiritual bud is at first altogether concealed, then it is gradually - very gradually - revealed, as the surrounding petals open in due & proper order, over a period of several earthly lives which culminate our chain of human rebirths.

On the one hand, we could show that these petals are the spiritual upadhi, or basis for the incarnate human consciousness, and have a direct correspondence with the cardinal Virtues that it is the duty, or Dharma, of every incarnating jiva to develop in its earthly sojourn. Or we could make reference to the inner, hidden Jewel - the Spark of Life Itself, `Our Father Who art in Heaven,' as Christ chose to speak of it ... and of the importance of returning to the Father's House whence we were originally sent forth.

But at what point, if we acknowledge an esoteric cosmology and chronology, will it become convenient and/or necessary to cease referring to our original, Divinely-produced Spiritual Spark ... the Hidden LIFE which indwells all outer forms - as "Divine?" Where do we decide, here there is `God,' and here there is `no-god?' When does the great heresy of separateness take over?

What I believe, and I have been called a solipsist as well as a total subjectivist or relativist for it, is that indeed, there is nothing here but God, such that ALL, Everything, and Everyone around us (including our own `self') - is a PART of the One Divine Expression. And if we feel we must speak of an ultimate, Transcendent `God,' Whom & which stands apart, and aloof, from `His' Creation, then this is well, and good, if it helps us to smile, and remember that Life exists for a Purpose. :) {earl, you gettin this?}

I mean this, because the more I explore a belief in monotheism, and consider what people are saying by the simple expression, "I believe in God," the more I feel that we are not so different, in terms of spiritual belief, after all. I just figure there is nothing we can say or know about this Transcendent Being, so I remain comfortable with the idea that Cosmos is the Expression of said Being ... and through Cosmos, we can and eventually will come to Know, Experience and Return to ... the very heart of `G-d.' :)

What is the relationship ... of our Individual, reincarnating `Ego,' the human Soul ... to you, me, and every other human being, as an earthly personality?

I think it is like this: The radiant, beautiful, Shining One within, is seated quietly before a pool of water, which ever remains (for the Soul) pure and calm, reflecting the Image of the Inner Man in pristine clarity of vision. In order to apprehend this vision, much less the true nature (Divine!) of the Shining One within, we must learn to look up, from the bottom of the pool, through the mud & murk of ordinary, everyday life - and trust that in time, the truth will be revealed to us.

Though the circumstances do not change for our Soul, the Being so described, the changing conditions of outer life amost seem to conspire to prevent us from coming to apprehend the true nature of the Self. The winds often blow furiously, and ruffle the calm surface of the water. The water becomes polluted - almost impossible to prevent given current conditions of life in the world, yet we do our utmost to match our earthly lives to the standards which the spiritual life requires. And as for the muck & murk of the bottom of the pool ... the moist soil of human experience which presents a thousand temptations, and distractions, from true contemplation of the Soul and other verities? Well this speaks for itself ...

The Shining One will not, because it cannot, simply stand up - and dive into the pool of our outward, worldly consciousness, and reveal itself, saying, "Here, I am (the) Divine!" We are called to overcome the obstacles - placed in our path not to bar our progress, but to facilitate it and to draw out our fullest potential. In so doing, our entire lower, mortal nature (see chart) becomes pure, clear, and spirtually receptive - eventually prepared for the higher knowledge, which leads us on the Path, even becoming that Path Itself.

And in the walking of said Path, I am convinced, of my own experience & finding, that the Divine will reveal Itself to each and every one of us ... and this just brings me back to the muck & the murk of the bottom of the pool - and a longing, a renewed determination, to prepare my own way ... since whether I speak as a Theosophist, a Christian, or otherwise, I do not think Christ can or will come, until we have made a place for Him.

And this is true both individually, and collectively ...

(so much for brevity, I'll have to tackle that, too, with renewed resolve!)

Namaskar,

andrew

Back