insights...

toujour_333

a simple buddhist
Reaction score
namaste friends,

so i think that i had an insight the other day and suprisingly, i wasnt meditating really. i was reading a book for the second time called The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings, by Thich Nhat Hanh, and suddenly, while i was reading, i realized what the Buddha was talking about as far as the interbeing of all things. it was like a ton of bricks hit me all at once and i just understood what the Buddha meant. it was so beautiful that i started crying and since then, nothing has looked the same. everything is so beautiful and everything makes me smile. i used to get rather upset when someone would cut me off while driving, but now i just smile. i really dont have anyone else to talk to about buddhism since the area that i live in is in the bible belt, so thanks for listening.

i dont really know how more to explain it really, but has anyone else on here had any simular experiences? or does what i am trying to explain sound familar to anyone?

be well in peace

Namaste toujour, and awesome...

Don't you love it? And if it is like anything similar I have had...did you read back and forth a couple of pages to find what set you off, and what instigated the insight and find nothing? Do you find it hard to describe the elation...ie no one gets as excited as you?

Hold on to it, embrace it and keep smiling...tis infectious, thank you for spreading it.

namaste wil,

yes, i did find it rather odd that no one else got as excited as i was. it was so beautiful that i started crying when it happened. ive been telling everyone that will listen to me my insight hoping that it will open up to them as well, but thus far, no one has gotten as excited as myself about my realization. but, oh well. everyone will gain their own insight when it is their time. but thanks for the reply. it makes me feel so happy to know that other people understand what im talking about.

be well in peace

Namaste toujour,

I celebrate your joy, the ' Ah This ' of the happening and happiness. May you flow forevever in the direction of truth, touched by a perfect moment, and the sun and the moon in unison, illuminated by the light and radiance of the sun, yet the moonbeams also have their dance. It is their own. You are your own truth opening in clarity.

Smile and exude beyond expectation.

love and peace.
- c -

toujour_333 said:
namaste wil,

yes, i did find it rather odd that no one else got as excited as i was. it was so beautiful that i started crying when it happened. ive been telling everyone that will listen to me my insight hoping that it will open up to them as well, but thus far, no one has gotten as excited as myself about my realization. but, oh well. everyone will gain their own insight when it is their time. but thanks for the reply. it makes me feel so happy to know that other people understand what im talking about.

be well in peace

Hi Toujour,

It makes me smile to think about your experience, your satori. I think it was Jack Kornfields teacher Ajahn Chah (sp?) that said " If you havent broken into sobs during meditation, you have never really meditated" Many times when I have had such realizations the feeling of gratitude was so overwhelming I just started to cry, so I can relate to what you experienced. I did have to learn the hard way though to be careful of telling others, fortunately here you have a makeshift sangha to support you, and I am grateful for that as well.
The Christian mystic Joel Goldsmith used to say that when you have such an insight it is like the Christ being born within you, and to protect the child you must (metaphorically) take it down into Egypt for a time untill it matures, and then present it to the world. Similarly I think that upon any kind of realization we must keep it to ourselves untill the seed has grown somewhat and becomes a mature plant that can survive on its own. Otherwise we may fall into error thinking that it was "my insight" or "my thought" and claim ownership of it. I say this because it is my understanding at this moment though not to presume to educate or edify because I am sure you are aware of such things and don't need any half baked advice.
Again, thank you for sharing such a wonderful and tender experience because it uplifts us all.

Peace

Mark

Namaste Toujour,

thank you for the post.

that is, by the by, one of the valid methods by which a being can gain an understanding of the Dharma. it is the method that i, personally, have found to work for me the best though, as with all things, what works for me changes as i change ;)

may your obstacles be cleared.

metta,

~v

toujour_333 said:
so i think that i had an insight the other day and suprisingly, i wasnt meditating really. i was reading a book for the second time called The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings, by Thich Nhat Hanh, and suddenly, while i was reading, i realized what the Buddha was talking about as far as the interbeing of all things.

What insight was it that you realized? What did you think the Buddha was saying before that?

eudaimonia,

Mark

I think one of the issues is that the insight is for us. It is often not for the masses...but just for us. It is only I that has had this series of life experiences leading to this exact point in time where this revelation/insight occurred, and it is only I that can interpret it to the manner in which it affects my understanding. My explanations to others are not only weak due to the inability to put them into words, but also because they were not where I was...

What I can't do is let their lack of reaction allow it to diminish....while I so want them to understand, so want them to have the same feeling I have...often it will be in their time...not mine.

namaste all and thank you all for the responses,

eudaimonist, the insight that i realized was the interbeing of all things and how everyone and everything is connected even though we believe in the self and that the self may be superior to other things/beings. and i understood this concept before this, however, obviously i didnt really get it until that moment b/c it never made me cry with so much joy before. it was asolutely shocking. and luckily the insight hasnt left me and everytime i look at something, i see myself in it as well as all other beings in it and it makes me so very happy. i hope this answers your question, and if not, let me know and ill try to be more specific.

wil, i would have to agree. considering my experiences thus far with trying to explain it to people, basically they just dont see the beauty in it like i do. they always say, 'oh, thats such a beautiful insight or experience. i can understand that.' but then they dont cry at the beauty of the things around them, which lets me know that they havent fully got it yet. however, i hope that with my help, they will have that insight one day.

everyday when i walk outside and look around my little house, i still shed a tear b/c its just amazing to see the interbeing of all things. i fully understand now what the Buddha was talking about when he gave his teachings on said topic.

thank you all and be well in peace

Back