Buddha Dharma without a school?

bodhi_mindisfree

Reaction score
Hello, I took world religions two semesters ago and last semester Eastern Religions. I have adopted Buddha Dharma as my religion because it is the most peaceful, practical solution in my mind. Later I find "my mind" as a contradicting statement.
After reading many books and adopting the DHAMMAPADA (translated by Venerable Ananda Maitreya and Rose Cramer), the Tao Te Ching, and many other books such as NO DEATH, NO FEAR by THAY Thich Nhat Hanh as spiritual books, is it possible to be a follower of Buddha Dharma and not belong to a specific sect?
I (once again, a contradicting statement) follow the path of Theravada and Zen. When friends ask me what sect I follow, I simply say I follow Engaged Buddhism. Is this even a term? and if so, what does it mean?
The emphasis in Buddhism is a teacher-student relationship. I live apart from any temple (deep in the southern bible belt of North Carolina, USA) and thus apart from any teacher. I have read most of Thich Nhat Hanh's books and transcripts, is it plausible to call him my teacher? (I recomend BE FREE WHERE YOU ARE and NO DEATH, NO FEAR to any beginning Buddhist)

SABBE SATTA SUKHITO HONTU!
mAY ALL BEINGS BE HAPPY!

Buddhism is more like a philosophy than a religion - so in that sense yes, but it is also about action - meditation mindfulness and ethical behaviour. It is perfectly possible to implement such action in your life on your own - but enourmously beneficial to seek the inspiration and guidance of others 'in the flesh', I think. Its too easy to make just an intellectual discipline of Buddhism - but the core of it, the realisation of the lack of any essential nature is a fundamentally contra-intellect idea, something simply to be realised.

I disagree with you that Buddhism is more like a philosophy than a religion. I open both of my College World Religion and Eastern Religion text books and it magically appears under the term RELIGION. Yes, it possible to be a buddhist and follow other faiths (like Taoism etc,), but many people only follow buddhist teachings. Therefore, I take offence when you call my religion a Philosophy.

Sabbe Satta Sukhito Hontu!

bodhi_mindisfree said:
...Therefore, I take offence when you call my religion a Philosophy...
Namaste bodhi, why take offence...is that the Buddha nature? Why the attachment to the term religion?

I'd be more inclined to think one would get upset if someone called their philosophy a religion....such an interesting path this world has for us.

I often wonder if our path moves because we walk (like a non motorized treadmill) of if we walk because our path moves (like a motorized treadmill- a 360 degree one in every plane...)

bodhi_mindisfree said:
I disagree with you that Buddhism is more like a philosophy than a religion. I open both of my College World Religion and Eastern Religion text books and it magically appears under the term RELIGION. Yes, it possible to be a buddhist and follow other faiths (like Taoism etc,), but many people only follow buddhist teachings. Therefore, I take offence when you call my religion a Philosophy.

Sabbe Satta Sukhito Hontu!

Lol, I said, MORE LIKE. Hinduism or rather Sanatam Dharma is not like the traditional Wstern view of what a religion is either - that does not stop it being a religion too! In fact, Buddhism simply is what it is.

If Buddhism was more like the traditional concept of a religion, finding yourself a place in a hierarchy/lineage would probably be the 1st requirement!

wil said:
I often wonder if our path moves because we walk (like a non motorized treadmill) of if we walk because our path moves (like a motorized treadmill- a 360 degree one in every plane...)

It is the flag that moves! Said one monk. No, it is the wind that moves - Said another. No Hui Neng said - Not the wind, not the flag, mind is moving.

Perhaps you are familiar with this story. But I like Mumon's comment -

'Wind, flag, mind moves
The same understanding.
When the mouth opens
All are wrong.'

Namaste Bodhi,

welcome to CR, enjoy your stay.

as Buddha Shakyamuni explained: "the sea is of one taste."

metta,

~v

why take offence...is that the Buddha nature? Why the attachment to the term religion?

I see, I see. I will not say you're right or I'm wrong because they are both only notions. It is what it is (rather Taoist if you ask me). I just saw a Christian church sign that read "Missionary report from Sri Lanka..." and this just reminds me that Christian missionaries denounce local religions and try to convert people to their religion. How much longer will it be till god is referenced by all religions to appease Christian friends? Like I, Brian when he puts up a thread "Tao and God" and Thich Nhat Hanh with his books LIVING BUDDHA, LIVING CHRIST (I read the book, not bad if you ask me.)? I'm not attached to the term religion, I only have attachment to other religions trying to change everything else. I can't stop thinking about it!!! But this is why I don't even discuss religion with people I know, because I don't want to change their view on Christianity. It should be free-will as to what changes some one from one religion to another. That is why I support web-sites like this, because they provide information and a place to discuss and ask questions.
"I often wonder if our path moves because we walk (like a non motorized treadmill) of if we walk because our path moves (like a motorized treadmill- a 360 degree one in every plane...)"

This is a deep comment when I stop to think about it...

namaste,

i just wanted to thank 'no essential nature' for those great quotes. i personally had never heard them, and they brought me great happiness. thank you.

be well in peace

Namaste Bodhi,

to paraphrase a rather famous Ch'an Buddhist master:

it is not the path that moves, nor the body. it is the mind that moves.

;)

metta,

~v

Back