I'm Selling Blessings...

T

Terrence

I wrote the following blog on my myspace page: www.myspace.com/sinceretheproblem. After thinking about this post however, I wonder...Is this one of the many reasons people think Christanit y to be a joke? Read the following blog and let me know what you think. Thanks!

OK people,

I've got a few handkerchiefs left along with some water that I could boild, bless, and bottle for you and send it out that you may get your blessings. For those interested, please email me and be sure to put "about blessings" in the email subject. As I said before, I only have a "few" handkercheifs left. Act now and get your blessing. Its only an email and a $20 love gift away. OK, are you offended yet? Does this sound foolish to you yet? I sure hope so. Sometimes we need sarcasm to get us to see the obvious "DUH" in our mistakes. Please STOP giving your money to these so called preachers, that they may stop fooling you into believing that they can coax God into giving you blessings. If you still want to believe, however, then please send you're money to me. Look think about it for a second: Benny Hinn, TD Jakes, Creflo Dollar, and the rest of the Word of Faith Movement guys, are selling blessings for about $49.95. I'll give you one for 20 bucks. Now thats a deal, wouldnt you say!?

Get this deal before its too late,

Sincere

What's wrong with selling blessings, specifically? Is holy water sold? I don't think that people actually believe they have to pay God or his supposed emissaries to receive blessings, but some of them might do it to feel better or just to support the church. Of course, with people these days, I'm probably wrong...

I detest most TV evangelists. they just get my blood boiling. It reminds me of when Jesus drove out the moneychangers out of the Temple for turning His Father's house into a den of thieves.

I'm all for faith, but I don't think you have to buy God's blessings. I thought blessings were free. And anyhow, that's not how you get blessed anyway:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." - Matthew 5:3-12

"...remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive." - Acts 20:35

Callistus III alias Alfonso de Borja or Borgia (1455-1458) is elected pope and immediately began organizing a crusade to recapture Constantinople. He said he is prepared to give up his life in support of this Holy War. He dispatched clergy armed with indulgences for sale throughout Europe to fund the planed war.

Sounds like those CF's may be helping to fund the war in Iraq by selling (indulgences), oops I mean blessings to the public.
:D

Can you see any similarities between what happened then and what's going on now?

Could the "Church" secretly be helping to fund the War in Iraq?

Any thoughts?

Dondi said:
I detest most TV evangelists. they just get my blood boiling. It reminds me of when Jesus drove out the moneychangers out of the Temple for turning His Father's house into a den of thieves.

I'm all for faith, but I don't think you have to buy God's blessings. I thought blessings were free. And anyhow, that's not how you get blessed anyway:

"Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you." - Matthew 5:3-12

"...remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive." - Acts 20:35

Amen! :)

moseslmpg said:
That is not a satisfactory answer. I want to know what problem people have with selling blessings.

I was trying to be nice because you said you couldnt see something wrong with people selling blessings. To be honest, I dont know how to answer this obvious question...thats why I only put an face icon. Would you like to buy a blessing though? I'm selling one blessing for 20 bucks and two for 30.

Blessing selling is just totally unchristian to me. I believe it's a rip off at the expense of people's feelings. :mad:

moseslmpg said:
That is not a satisfactory answer. I want to know what problem people have with selling blessings.
This goes against what Jesus told his disciples as he sent them off to preach and give blessings:

Matthew 10:7-9 NASB
"And as you go, preach, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.'
"Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out demons. Freely you received, freely give.
"Do not acquire gold, or silver, or copper for your money belts..."

TJ

It's pretty easy to con anyone with anything lol... Yeah this holy water.... Holy water wow! give me ten gallons of that... Just like bottled water that is a con... It is no better than tap water... Yet here we pay more than fuel for a small bottle of water.... I remember someone who did research into this, then had his own urine treated and turned back into H2o and he went through markets and such testing it compared to some of the top bottled water companies..... Had it marketed and people were loving it... He had diet water.... DIET FREAKING WATER!? People bought it... Also a energy water that hydrated the muscles and made you stronger and gave more endurance... He had Detox and.... This was simply bottles of his own piss...

Anyway not just water you can do that with anything, *makes a bramble bush into a circular shape* Here!! Come and pay to touch the crown placed upon jesus' head!! and recieve divine blessings! Or even worse those TV shows where some "divine" preacher gets you to phone in (on some line that is like 500,000,000 bucks a minute...) and "donate" cash.... puh lease... What a mind, they want shooting.

(couldn't edit)

Also looked into "crystal healing" Out of the five "healers" they hired not one passed any test.. They then pretended to be "healers" and got people in and made them believe they were being healed... They made them close their eyes and put a worthers orginal lol (for you yanks, thats a toffee.) On them in areas that needed help and it helped! Amazing them worthers! One of the "healers" had the balls to say that it could cure cancer........

Acts 8:9-24​
9 But there was a certain man called Simon, who previously practiced sorcery in the city and astonished the people of Samaria, claiming that he was someone great, 10 to whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, “This man is the great power of God.” 11 And they heeded him because he had astonished them with his sorceries for a long time. 12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. 13 Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done.

14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, 15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
18 And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, 19 saying, “Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”
20 But Peter said to him, “Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money! 21 You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God. 22 Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you. 23 For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity.”
24 Then Simon answered and said, “Pray to the Lord for me, that none of the things which you have spoken may come upon me.”

Acts 8:9-24​
9 But there was a certain man called Simon, who previously practiced sorcery in the city and astonished the people of Samaria, claiming that he was someone great, 10 to whom they all gave heed, from the least to the greatest, saying, “This man is the great power of God.” 11 And they heeded him because he had astonished them with his sorceries for a long time. 12 But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized. 13 Then Simon himself also believed; and when he was baptized he continued with Philip, and was amazed, seeing the miracles and signs which were done.​

14 Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, 15 who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. 16 For as yet He had fallen upon none of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then they laid hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.​

18 And when Simon saw that through the laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Spirit was given, he offered them money, 19 saying, “Give me this power also, that anyone on whom I lay hands may receive the Holy Spirit.”​

20 But Peter said to him, “Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money! 21 You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God. 22 Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you. 23 For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity.”​

24 Then Simon answered and said, “Pray to the Lord for me, that none of the things which you have spoken may come upon me.”​

...being told the truth...PRICELESS! ;)

Back