HELL or HECK ?

YO-ELEVEN-11

Watcher
Reaction score
I know the bible talks about "hell" or "sheol".
I have not finished reading the whole bible yet.
So far I am up to the book of Jermiah.
I do how ever have questions about this place.

1. What exactly is HELL?

2. Where exactly in the universe is HELL located?

3. What is HELL made out of?

any answers or comments on these questions are greatly appreciated.

:)

1. Hell is a realm of everlasting punishment and absolute separation from the omnipresent God. There's fire and gnashing of teeth, among other things.

2. Hell is not located inside the universe.

3. Hell is made of spiders and snails and puppy-dog tails. But seriously, seeeing how it is a dimension or spiritual realm, it isn't really made of anything concrete.

WARNING: Those are not scripturally based, they are my understanding of the Judeo-Christian Hell based indirectly, of course, from the Bible and various other sources.

hell is generically used at different times to mean different things.
one is a waiting cell for those dead awaiting judgement
one is where fallen angels are currently kept in chains.
one is eternal damnation in the lake of fire.
It doesnt really matter where hell is, it is a supernatural place of fire and torment you do not want to be in.

Can I offer an answer not taken from the Bible? This I have read in a book called Zen Flesh, Zen Bones. I think it's a clear answer to your questions.

A soldier named Nobushige came to Hakuin and asked: "Is there really a paradise and a hell?"
"Who are you?" inquired Hakuin.
"I am a samurai", the warrior replied.
"You, a soldier!" sneered Hakuin, "What kind of ruler would have you as his guard? You look like a beggar".
Nobushige became so angry that he began to draw his sword.
Hakuin continued: "So you have a sword! Your weapon is probably too dull to cut off my head."
Nobushige drew his sword.
Hakuin remarked: "Here open the gates of hell!"
At these words the samurai, perceiving the master's discipline, put away his sword and bowed.
"Here open the gates of paradise", said Hakuin.

Snoopy.

Snoopy said:
Can I offer an answer not taken from the Bible? This I have read in a book called Zen Flesh, Zen Bones. I think it's a clear answer to your questions.

A soldier named Nobushige came to Hakuin and asked: "Is there really a paradise and a hell?"
"You, a soldier!" sneered Hakuin, "What kind of ruler would have you as his guard? You look like a beggar".
Hakuin continued: "So you have a sword! Your weapon is probably too dull to cut off my head."
At these words the samurai, perceiving the master's discipline, put away his sword and bowed.

Snoopy.

ok, you just totally lost me with that one.
:confused:

1. What exactly is HELL?

I assume you mean hell as the place where people are tormanted day and night without rest and not the grave or death or any of the terms the word "hell" was used to describe in the Bible. So, here I go: Hell exist as a temporary place...a "holding cell" if it were, for those who die apart from Christ. This place was created for the devil and his angels and, but again, those who want nothing to do with Christ, will be in Hell until Jesus comes back and hell itself is thrown into the final judgement - outer darkness.

2. Where exactly in the universe is HELL located?

My guess is deep, deep...deep, under the earth. Better questions though: Does it matter? Are you born again?

3. What is HELL made out of?

Matter and material.

YO-ELEVEN-11 said:
Think of it as an inversion of that famous line: Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n. Then, don't think about it it at all.

Terrence, I don't think Hell is in the middle of the earth because then Heaven would be the sky. When it is said Hell is below, I don't think it's supposed to be literal, it's like a subdimension. My opinion.

I dont know where hell is either Moseslmpg. It could be in the middle of the earth or it could not. What I do know, however, is that it is. Jesus died that suffered agony unfathomable so that those who have broken God's laws would not have to go there. The most important thing any living person has to do with their lives is come to terms with Jesus' claims and them bow to them. Only death seperates us from judgement. Ten out of Ten people die, the question is: Where will we spend Eternity?

YO-ELEVEN-11 said:

Sorry! How about: How we treat others is the point. Offer compassion (the sword is sheathed) and it is the gates to paradise. Offer anger (the sword is drawn) and it is the gates to hell. We don't have to die before we know hell, people can (and do) take people there all the time. Turn the news on and see.:(

Snoopy.

I guess I'm in a silly mood. Here's a nice story on the nature of 'Hell'. It's been around, so likely many of you have read it, but for those of you who have not... Well, and I have to say, it's presented as a true story, which it is, in fact, not. But that doesn't make it less funny.

HELL EXPLAINED BY A CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term. The answer by one student was so profound that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.
One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my G**."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A".

sara[h]ng said:
I guess I'm in a silly mood. Here's a nice story on the nature of 'Hell'. It's been around, so likely many of you have read it, but for those of you who have not... Well, and I have to say, it's presented as a true story, which it is, in fact, not. But that doesn't make it less funny.

HELL EXPLAINED BY A CHEMISTRY STUDENT

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A".

:D

Well, first off, as I said, it isn't a true story. Check snopes.com if you want the scoop on that.

Secondly, why should they have 'failed miserably'?? :eek:

I think it's a brilliant sciency analysis of an abstract concept, which is really what the professor asked for. A+ material, for sure.

sara[h]ng said:
Well, first off, as I said, it isn't a true story. Check snopes.com if you want the scoop on that.

Secondly, why should they have 'failed miserably'?? :eek:

I think it's a brilliant sciency analysis of an abstract concept, which is really what the professor asked for. A+ material, for sure.
There is a very distinct difference between scientific and sciency. They should have failed miserably because it's shoddy logic as well as sciency explanations. It's clever, but cleverness doesn't get you anywhere...at least not in my college.

Snoopy said:

Snoopy.

Very profound thought.

Science does not apply to Hell, at least as we know both of those things, so 'sciency' is as good as anyone's going to get. Now, you could argue that 'sciency' is so inadequate to the point that noone should use it, but, that's what the professor asked for and he had no choice.

As for shoddy logic, specifically what are you referring to? The change in mass over time paragraph is illogical to some degree, but that's only because of the subject matter, and he did the best that anyone could. The only thing outside of that that I really see is that there could be a third possibility: that the rate of expansion is the same as the rate of souls entering and so it's in equilibrium. BUT! If you want to be technical, the professor gave only endo and exothermic as options.

Very often in science courses, professors and students get carried away with the memorization of facts. That's not learning science. It is the thought processes that lead to critical thinking and so, discovery, that define the field. Cleverness is a plus.

moseslmpg said:
I hope they didn't really get an A. They should have failed miserably.

I would have given him an A for the sheer brilliance of the piece. And since the question itself might be construed as a slight on religious beliefs, the ensuing response was appropriate in returning the slight.

Hell​
Definition:
The word "hell" is found in many Bible translations. In the same verses other translations read "the grave," "the world of the dead," and so forth. Other Bibles simply transliterate the original-language words that are sometimes rendered "hell"; that is, they express them with the letters of our alphabet but leave the words untranslated. What are those words? The Hebrew she’ohl´ and its Greek equivalent hai´des, which refer, not to an individual burial place, but to the common grave of dead mankind; also the Greek ge´en·na, which is used as a symbol of eternal destruction. However, both in Christendom and in many non-Christian religions it is taught that hell is a place inhabited by demons and where the wicked, after death, are punished (and some believe that this is with torment).

Back