Gigal

pohaikawahine

Elder Member
Reaction score
Hi - I need some help .... Gigal is one of the three places in which 12 stones were placed, in this case placed by 12 represenatatives of the tribes after crossing over the River Jordan .... I also read "After crossing the Jordan River: "Yahuweh said to Yahuwshuwa 'This day I have rolled away (galal) the reproach (cherpah) of the crucible (misrayim) from (min) upon ('al) you. The name (shem) of that standing place (maqowm) is called Gigal (the place of rolling away) to this day." (Joshua 5:9) (This last part was from a web site Yada Yahweh - Book I Foundation - Chapter 11 Bikurim) ....

I'm confused about two things .... was an altar built at Gigal or were only the stones placed there? And is there any other meaning for the word "gigal", I have not been able to locate a meaning?

At first I thought it might be connected with the word 'golgatha' meaning 'the skull', but I haven't been able to find a meaning other than 'the crossing over place' .... mahalo for any help .... me ke aloha pumehana, poh

aloha poh...

There is no word "gigal" in my concordance but there is the word "Gilgal" which is identified as the name of three places in Palestine, and probably is the word you're looking for/at. It means "wheel".

Maybe there's a tie-in with the visions that Ezekiel had. Or maybe it has some sort of Bhuddist connection since Bhuddists revere the wheel, even to use it when focusing meditation while chanting and praying.

Nice to hear from you, and mahalo back at 'ya.

flow....:)

Mahalo flow - you are right it is Gilgal, I misspelled it .... in Joshua 4:19-20 it states that "The people came up from the Jordan on the tenth day of the first month, and encamped at Gilgal on the eastern border of Jericho. And Joshua set up in Gilgal the twelve stones they had taken from the Jordon."

That is the place name I'm referring to, I'm just unsure of its meaning in Hebrew .... thanks for your references and suggestions .... mahalo, poh

flow - I found several references in addition to your reference to the "wheel" ... these included the sacred "circle" of stones (gilgal meaning a circle) .... "removing" (Joshua carried out a mass circumcision for all those who had been born during the 40 years in the wilderness and therefore removed from them the shame of Egypt ...."rolling" as in rolling away the reproach of Egyptian slavery .... also saw a reference to a place called Gilgal Refaim, a stone circle and ancient megalithic monument in the Golan Heights and this means "wheel of Refaim" .... so I suppose the terms wheel, circle, rolling, etc. all have the same essence .... thank you again for your help .... aloha nui, poh

Aloha poh:

Since my last post I realized that the wheel form is a universal symbol of sacred meaning, even in the early Americas. Medicine wheels were/are commonplace in the western U.S. and wheels made of wooden posts driven into the earth were commonplace in the Mississippian culture from about 2,000 bce to 1500 ad. The stone circles of the old world may have been an extension of using stone circles to contain community fires, and then may have been extended to grander forms to worship light manifestations in general. But I believe that there's a deeper meaning behind places such as Stonehenge and other similar sacred places around the world.

The word "rolling" also is a root word that one finds when researching the definitions of "G-d" in a concordance.

aloha nui....flow....:)

Back