Charles Darwin goes online

Snoopy

Reaction score
The complete works of one of history's greatest scientists are being published online. The project (by Cambridge University) has digitised 50,000 pages of text and 40,000 images of original publications - all of it searchable for free.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6064364.stm

Sounds fabulous, but oh that I could find it!!!

Snoop.

I can't post a url apparently. But the site is at:

darwin hyphen online dot org dot uk

Hope that helps

Not to be offensive, of course, but I have yet to find someone who both really understood Darwin's ideas and at the same time believed them to be false.

I would recommend a read of his Origin of Species to anyone who tries to say definitively whether or not they accept the theory. Granted, the book is long and at parts a little dry, and a few things are outright incorrect because science had yet to develop far enough for him to know certain things, but most of those are easily spotted, and the good and accurate things about the book far outweigh the bad.

I'm not telling you what to think, and I'm not telling you that you are wrong, if you do not accept evolution. I am just pointing out a source of good information and anyone who takes a stand on anything should strive to understand both sides of an issue.

Hi,

No, I haven't read Origin of Species but I have read other stuff on evolutionary theory as well as taking sciences at college. For me evolutionary theory is like all scientific theories in that they are an attempt at an objective explanation for a phenomenon which will "stand" if or until another theory supplants it which provides a more accurate explanation (or at least less incorrect!).

s.

sara[h]ng said:
Not to be offensive, of course, but I have yet to find someone who both really understood Darwin's ideas and at the same time believed them to be false.

I would recommend a read of his Origin of Species to anyone who tries to say definitively whether or not they accept the theory. Granted, the book is long and at parts a little dry, and a few things are outright incorrect because science had yet to develop far enough for him to know certain things, but most of those are easily spotted, and the good and accurate things about the book far outweigh the bad.

I'm not telling you what to think, and I'm not telling you that you are wrong, if you do not accept evolution. I am just pointing out a source of good information and anyone who takes a stand on anything should strive to understand both sides of an issue.

Sara, I have read the book. I'm not saying Darwin was wrong, but even he implied he wasn't alltogether correct. There are gaps and missing parts that to this day can not be accounted for. There are errors in his theories that have been revised at least a dozen times by scientific scholars. His isn't the whereforall, nor is it short sighted. There simply are questions yet to be completely answered.

v/r

Joshua

Back