Why is it hard for Christians to accept Mohammad?

Seeker_of_truth

Reaction score
This is not a rhetorical question nor did I ask it to aggravate fellow believers in Christ.
Why do you not accept Mohammad and his teachings?

prophets talk about jesus the son of god coming, dieing, and coming again.
jesus comes and god proclaims his son and angels worship him.
jesus forgives, heals, gets crucified, resurrects, and gives us the holy spirit
disciples and apostles talk and write about jesus and spread the gospel.
we wait for jesus to come again in the clouds with glory.

mohammed does not talk about the son of god nor his salvation nor his name above all names that the prophets, disciples, apostles, and god proclaim. nor does mohammed talk about the what the prophets said nor what the disciples and apostles said in regards to god salvation in jesus christ. because there is a denial of the son of god, he is not a prophet.

This is not a rhetorical question nor did I ask it to aggravate fellow believers in Christ.

From a Christian point of view, some of Muhammads 'teachings' are very anti-Christian. And I'm a Muslim saying this!!

Now we all know how a Christian feels about anything anti-Christian.

Here are some of the teachings in Christendom that Muhammad's teachings contradict/negate:

God is a trinity
Jesus is the Son of God
Jesus is God
Holy Spirit is God
Jesus died on the cross
Jesus died for our sins
Nobody comes to the Father except through him (i.e. Jesus)
People will not have sex in heaven but will be like angels
He who lives by the sword shall die by the sword
Turn the other cheek
Don't pray in public

Now considering the two that have been highlighted in bold, it's not surprising that many Christians would reject a 'newcomer' who openly disagrees with the major teachings of Christ - which incidentally had been around for 600 years before Muhammad arrived.

It's something that shouldn't be ignored, don't you think? And I'm still wondering over it myself!!

rofl you are not understanding one of those... it does not say we arent to pray in public it is saying we are not to pray in public in order to make ourselves look good and righteous .. its a humbleness issue.. Jesus was speaking of the priests who were making a huge deal of praying and yet inside they were nasty. I pray in public everyday of my life.

christians do pray in public. christians pray in church as a body of christ and we pray together in groups of friends wherever we might be, or with permission an evangelist will pray with a stranger, but it is never down as an outwardly expression as "hey look at me people i'm good, or look at me god im doing good works".

lol yeah, I know what you mean... the point is not to make a public show out of prayer. Maybe I should have listed the one about "vain repetition" instead. A lot of Muslims fail to 'personalize' their prayers and just churn out set-formulas that are repeated time and time again.

But seriously, the main reasons that Christians will reject Muhammad are that Jesus is "the way, the truth, and the life, nobody comes to the father except through me (him)"; and Jesus is mankinds saving grace, a ransom paid to buy back for mankind the perfection that was lost by Adam.

Islam rejects these two major articles of Christian belief, and would thus be seen by Christians to be the antichrist 'in spirit'.

lol yeah, I know what you mean... the point is not to make a public show out of prayer. Maybe I should have listed the one about "vain repetition" instead. A lot of Muslims fail to 'personalize' their prayers and just churn out set-formulas that are repeated time and time again.

But seriously, the main reasons that Christians will reject Muhammad are that Jesus is "the way, the truth, and the life, nobody comes to the father except through me (him)"; and Jesus is mankinds saving grace, a ransom paid to buy back for mankind the perfection that was lost by Adam.

Islam rejects these two major articles of Christian belief, and would thus be seen by Christians to be the antichrist 'in spirit'.

Ok I understand your point that, but if Muhammad is the return of all prophets then he is in essence the return of "the why, the truth, and the life". As well as the savior to humankind.
I see no contradiction here.

Because he wasn't even born when the bible was created! If the bible says... this guy is cool then the christians say... hmm this guy is cool... But if you are not even mentioned as a prophet in the bible you are not a prophet...

Honest question what is it with you Muslims? "Do christians accept mohammed" "Do the jews accept mohammed" and so on... Why do you think that religions that differ alot from yours would accept mohammed? Even though they give no teachings of his. :\

Ok I understand your point that, but if Muhammad is the return of all prophets then he is in essence the return of "the why, the truth, and the life". As well as the savior to humankind.

That really depends on what you consider to be "The Way, the Truth and the Life." My impression of Islam is that it has a lot to do with structuring and organising life and society.

However, I consider "the Way, the Truth and the Life" to be something personal that is independent of structure. Christianity doesn't insist on us aligning ourselves to structures. "The Way, the Truth and the Life" may be seen as something personal. Moreover, since Jesus was a human being, this more easily conveys the concept of something personal. It's to do with compatibility. We are human beings, and so was Jesus.

But how does Jesus lead us to God when no other human being was able to do that? Moreover, why use a human being as a concept to lead us to God? Why not Islam?

I think it's to do with what he lived for and believed in. In Jesus' time, many religious leaders taught that you had to follow rules to be accepted by God. So Jesus allowed himself to be killed so that the moral authority of these systems of rules would be annulled. That also allowed God to establish the moral high ground. God's Law wasn't dependent on rules, but a personal relationship with a human being.

Before Jesus' death, human beings could make their own rules, and use them to judge each other. God essentially didn't have any authority to judge anyone, as human beings could make their own rules.

God sending Jesus to die like that was a way of saying to us human beings, "I am God, I don't need your useless rules. I can deal Justice without your rules." So Jesus' death was a way of liberating us from man-made rules.

Jesus didn't take credit for his actions, though. It was God who took credit. God was making a declaration about Himself. In that sense, God was somehow communicating Himself through Jesus. Jesus' life was God expressing Himself. That's why Jesus didn't kill himself straight away. He needed to make connections with people -- with human beings. People needed to get to know him. His actions, his life, his teachings, were really God expressing Himself.

But still, what about the nagging question, why not Islam? Why can't Islam capture the meaning of the Way, the Truth and the Life? Why do we need a human being to represent the Way, the Truth and the Life (WTL)? Sounds like a tempting argument, but consider what would happen if we said Jesus wasn't the WTL. That is, we'd be saying WTL didn't involve a human being. Human beings are sentient beings. Therefore, a WTL concept that involves a human being embodies something personal and sentimental.

While that still doesn't necessarily rule out Islam, I think it's important to notice the way Islam is practiced and expressed. The Five Daily prayers, and the Five Pillars are a way of structuring life and society. You may consider one's alignment to this structured approach to spirituality as a measure of how much one deserves to be considered one of God's people.

That idea isn't necessarily wrong, but it may be out of line with what Jesus meant when he said, "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life."

Appreciating the idea that Jesus was the WTL requires that one understand what Jesus, taught, lived for and personally believed. Jesus discouraged an over-emphasis on rules. Therefore, the WTL involved an understanding that over-devotion to rules didn't necessarily lead to understanding of God, that it was a personal relationship with God that mattered. Jesus saying, "I am the WTL" was like saying, "you cannot be led to God unless you focus on and pursue something personal." The idea then, was, "understand yourself and you will understand God." Understanding God means we understand right and wrong and what's important in life. That allows us to know what to do and when. That's what wisdom is -- know what to do.

Were Mohammed's teachings compatible with this idea? Well, the Five Pillars and Five Daily Prayers might not be a good way of expressing the WTL. Furthermore, Mohammed seemed to have introduced dozens of rules. While the rules may be seen as "personal" in particular contexts, Mohammed didn't exactly reinforce the idea of the Way, the Truth and the Life as depicted in the New Testament.

The way Islam was propagated in the first century suggests an emphasis on "organisation" and "structure." Articles I've read, written by proponents of Islam about Islam's role in the seventh century seem to promote the idea that "organisation" and "structure" was the strength of Islam, as well as the defining aspect of its "holiness" and "purity." The underlying objective of Islam seems to have been to achieve "purity" through structure and organisation.

The "Jesus" depicted, and the WTL concept depicted in the New Testament says very little about structure as the defining aspect of the Way, the Truth and the Life. Moreover, early Christianity didn't put an emphasis on structure. A structured approach to life, an organisation of the community was not the defining aspect of Christianity. The books in the New Testament, written by Paul, Peter, James and John don't seem to say much on how "community" should be organised.

Will a community without structure or organisation necessarily fall apart? Maybe not. If human beings are sentient beings, then sentimental thinking may be the key to knowing what's good for you. So maybe it's not rules that guide a community and its individuals, but your own, personal feelings. So sentiment may guide people. Christianity seems to put more of an emphasis on sentiment, feelings and attitudes -- your own personality. Jesus could well have been saying, when he said he was the WTL, to "be sentimental and personal."

Ephesians 4:31 says we should "get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice." The idea was that bad attitudes resulted in bad behaviour. Good attitudes resulted in good behaviour. The solution was simple, adopt good attitudes. Change the way you think. Attitudes had an influence on society without imposing any structure on it. They were part of the environment and set the conditions of life. They were the purest form of vice and virture in society. So rules, structure, organisation or lack of it, were not always what affected how well people behaved.

Rules may be "personal" in a sense, but if rules are essential and necessary, you'd be saying that rules are stronger than human sentiment. That's not the same as saying that when people have the right sentiment, they don't need to follow rules or pursue a structured approach to life.

My impression of "the Way, the Truth and the Life" is that it isn't the same in Christianity as in Islam.

For that to bear any weight with Christians or Muslims:
1. Jesus (and the other prophets) would have to be on record as saying that he (they) would return as Muhammad; or
2. Muhammad would have to be on record as claiming to be the return of all prophets.

Since none of the prophets claimed they'd return as Muhammad, and since Muhammad never claimed to be the return of all prophets, I'm having difficulty seeing your point...

Are you a Bahaii?

Hello seeker_of_truth,

The better question might be why does the Christian have a need to accept Mohammad? Why? Because, He doesn't see a need. As far as his teachings go, if they are truth, what does it matter who said them? Mohmammads true sayings are as good as anyone elses as long as they are founded in truth. Perhaps we who call ourselves Christians are even guilty of placing more value on the messenger than the message.

Just one view and some thoughts to contemplate.

Love in Christ,
JM

Why is it hard for Muslims to accept Jesus Christ

Actually muslims do accept Jesus Christ, they just consider it hard to accept Jesus G-d, or Jesus The Only Begotten Son Of God.

its all just god manifesting in ways to reconcile us back to him. the holiness of god the father and the sinful ways of man are bridged by the forgiveness and salvation of gods son jesus christ, that is the love and grace of god.

Don't pray in public

I think this teaching is more or less similar to this

Have you ever considered [the kind of man] who gives the lie to all moral law? Behold, it is this [kind of man] that thrusts the orphan away, and feels no urge to feed the needy. Woe, then, unto those praying ones , whose hearts from their prayer are remote , those who want only to be seen and praised, and deny all assistance [to their fellow-men]! [107:1-7]

For that to bear any weight with Christians or Muslims:
1. Jesus (and the other prophets) would have to be on record as saying that he (they) would return as Muhammad; or
2. Muhammad would have to be on record as claiming to be the return of all prophets.

Since none of the prophets claimed they'd return as Muhammad, and since Muhammad never claimed to be the return of all prophets, I'm having difficulty seeing your point...

Are you a Bahaii?

If I am not mistaken Muhammad did say that he was the return of all the prophets.
Yes I am Baha'i.
Thanks for the reply

If I am not mistaken Muhammad did say that he was the return of all the prophets.
Yes I am Baha'i.
Thanks for the reply

Thank you. As a Muslim, I haven't come across this particular saying of Muhammad, I would be interested in knowing where I can find it.

I would say Christians reject Muhammad for the same reason that Jews reject Christ, Muslims reject Bahaullah, and Bahaiis reject Rael. The 'general' reason is that each 'new' prophet did not meet the 'expectations' of those who would later reject them. They continue to look for someone else who "fits the bill".

It's interesting though, that Jesus was the first 'major' rejected figure in Abrahamic religion... just think of the long line of Israelite prophets who are all still accepted by Jews today.

Why is is hard for Christians to accept Mohammad as a prophet?

Let us consider:

JESUS or MUHAMMAD
Jesus’ name means God is Savior, Immanuel-God with us as our Savior.
Mohammed's name means praised one
Jesus: Born about 4 BC. in Bethlehem Born of the Virgin Mary Isa.7:14 had no earthly father Mt.1
Muhammad: Born of Aminah In 570 A.D. in Mecca
Jesus: Raised by Mary His mother and Joseph, His adopted father .
Muhammad: Raised by his mother, Halima the nurse, then his uncle and grandfather
Jesus: Prophesied by more than 300 scriptures for his first coming, fulfilled them all including Deut.18:15
Muhammad: Muslims believe Mohammed is prophesied as the Comforter. And the prophet of Deut.18:15
Jesus: Labored as a carpenter like his stepfather in Nazareth
Muhammad: His father was named Abd Allah after Allah. Started as a shepherd then became a camel-caravan leader
Jesus: Spoke in Hebrew, Aramaic, and probably Greek
Muhammad: Spoke only Arabic, Muslims say he was illiterate
Jesus: Was literate, but wrote no books. He directly commissioned his dedicated followers to write and preach his message
Muhammad: Was literate/illiterate; and wrote the Quran or as some say others heard his sayings and wrote them down as well.
Jesus: Attracted multitudes by His teaching of God affirming the OT. Taught openly to multitudes as one having authority
Muhammad: Attracted multitudes by his teaching and by the sword forcefully overthrowing the worship of multiple Gods.
Jesus: Miracles and healing’s were given freely, he healed all kinds of diseases.
Muhammad: The Koran is his miracle. Did no miracles of healing or delivering people from demons.
Jesus: Moved to Capernaum because of rejection by His townspeople and brothers and sisters
Muhammad: Had to move to Medina because of rejection by his townspeople
Jesus: Was never married
Muhammad: Married to at least fifteen wives one of which was only 9 years old at the time.
Jesus: Lived a sinless life, never once prayed for forgiveness like other sinners, he forgave others.
Muhammad: Prayed often for forgiveness of his sins as did all the prophets in the OT and NT.
Jesus: Waged no war, said his kingdom was not of this world so his followers should not fight
Muhammad: Was a warrior who waged war by fighting or leading in sixty-six battles to spread his message of monotheism
Jesus: Ordered the death of no one but instead died in place of the guilty.
Muhammad: Ordered the death of many men and women (the first was a poetess) to promote the message of monotheism
Jesus: Established a religion of truth, mercy and love even for enemies, invites all to come to him.
Muhammad: Established a monotheistic belief system,an earthly empire teaching all must obey the teachings of the Koran.
Jesus: Established a relationship with God and a spiritual kingdom not of this world that will last forever with him as the ruler.
Muhammad: Established a religion of God being compassionate and merciful to the obedient but there are no guarantees for anyone.
Jesus: Died by crucifixion for others in Jerusalem at age 33 being innocent of any crime.
Muhammad: Died in Medina due to effects of pneumonia at age 62
Jesus: Arose from the dead the third day just like he predicted, emptying His tomb, promises to raise everyone else and judge them.
Muhammad: Still lingers in his grave awaiting the Day of Judgment by Jesus
Jesus is mentioned in the Quran 97 times
Muhammed is mentioned in the Quran 25 times
Jesus: Old Testament predicts His 2nd coming in more Scriptures than his first
Muhammed had only self fulfilling prophecy, nothing in the Old Testament predicted his coming.
Jesus: Over 2,500,000,000 claim to be His followers are known for their dedication, love, and caring for others. Building hospitals feeding the poor and helping to educate people all over the world showing the compassion of God.
Muhammad: 1,200,000,000 billion are followers who are dedicated, zealous and still use force if necessary against non Muslims in their land where Islam is the countries religion.
Jesus: Christ prophesied of the end of the age and what it would be like when he comes again. Jesus: The Old and New Testament will be fulfilled by his 2nd coming.
Muhammad: There is no teaching on Mohammed coming back again to rule or reign.

In short, One God perhaps, but the message Jesus gives and the message Muhammad gives are worlds apart.

Back