this generation

mee

Interfaith Forums
Messages
6,363
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away."—Matthew 24:32-35.

This generation [Greek, ge·ne·a´] will not pass away’? Jesus had often called the contemporaneous mass of opposing Jews, including religious leaders, ‘a wicked, adulterous generation.’ (Matthew 11:16; 12:39, 45; 16:4; 17:17; 23:36) So when, on the Mount of Olives, he again spoke of "this generation," he evidently did not mean the entire race of Jews throughout history; nor did he mean his followers, even though they were "a chosen race." (1 Peter 2:9) Neither was Jesus saying that "this generation" is a period of time.​

Rather, Jesus had in mind the opposing Jews back then who would experience the fulfillment of the sign he gave. Regarding the reference to "this generation" at Luke 21:32, Professor Joel B. Green notes: "In the Third Gospel, ‘this generation’ (and related phrases) has regularly signified a category of people who are resistant to the purpose of God. . . . [It refers] to people who stubbornly turn their backs on the divine purpose............... i think the same thing is happening to day, people are opposed to his purpose, and ignore the signs that we are in the last days , we are now in the time of the end , manmade goverments are on the way out , but Gods goverment will take over the earth ...daniel 2;44 yes i think we are seeing a generation that is opposed to the Kingdom that is now established in the heavens with Jesus as its king

 
OK then, when will "this generation" pass? Is there a timeline of events or is it just when everyone decides to buy into the Kingdom? Should we wait for the Apocalpse or can we possible avert that fate by repenting and returning to God?
 
So when, on the Mount of Olives, he again spoke of "this generation," he evidently did not mean the entire race of Jews throughout history; nor did he mean his followers, even though they were "a chosen race."

You have to read the whole message of Matt 24 to get the meaning of what generation he is speaking of.

Matt 24:32-35
32 "Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near--at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
NKJV

He is speaking of that generation that sees all of these things come to pass. Which is why I posed the question in another Thread about does the fig tree represent Isreal and the Prophecies in Ezekiel, and Zachariah about Isreal becoming a nation again.
My thoughts

OK then, when will "this generation" pass? Is there a timeline of events or is it just when everyone decides to buy into the Kingdom? Should we wait for the Apocalpse or can we possible avert that fate by repenting and returning to God?

:D Depends on how long yah wait! ;)
 
Dondi said:
OK then, when will "this generation" pass? Is there a timeline of events or is it just when everyone decides to buy into the Kingdom? Should we wait for the Apocalpse or can we possible avert that fate by repenting and returning to God?

Oh, I hate referring to this, but in Revelations, it is specific that all these things shall pass, UNLESS, we repent and turn towards God. Even in the end days we are given a choice and a chance before the corner is turned.

Everybody seems to forget that little word UNLESS...

We like the king in the Old testament, are given our death sentence, see? But if we, like that king, repent, and the "city" repents with the king, then there is respet. (The king was given 15 more years by God, and the king made good use of those years, causing all his city to turn to God and prosper). And the king died in peace with God.

Man is "king" in revelations, and is being given the same opportunity as the doomed king, to turn away from debauchery, and towards God. The option is there, and will be until the 59th second of the 59th minute, of the 11th hour before the trumpet sounds...then, it is a whole new ball game, only it will be hard ball/fast ball, with no umpire behind the plate...

When will that come? Hmmm, I suppose as long as man keeps getting base hits, this game will go on. ;)

v/r

Q
 
Quahom1 said:
Oh, I hate referring to this, but in Revelations, it is specific that all these things shall pass, UNLESS, we repent and turn towards God. Even in the end days we are given a choice and a chance before the corner is turned.

Everybody seems to forget that little word UNLESS...

v/r

Q

But aren't the events in Revelations inevitable? I mean all the details about the nations and bowls and trumpets of wrath, clearly was mean to portray actual future events, as if John had a glimpse of a foregone future. Surely God doesn't wish His wrath on anyone, but all to come to repentance. But maybe we as the human race are just that stubborn. UNLESS is a pretty big word, IMO.
 
But aren't the events in Revelations inevitable? I mean all the details about the nations and bowls and trumpets of wrath, clearly was mean to portray actual future events, as if John had a glimpse of a foregone future. Surely God doesn't wish His wrath on anyone, but all to come to repentance. But maybe we as the human race are just that stubborn. UNLESS is a pretty big word, IMO

Well God knows who will or want change their mind, and yes these things will come to pass according to the Bible, but I think what Quahom1 is saying is that all dont have to go through this. Just like sodom and gomorah Abraham Ask God to give them a chance (paraprased) and spare them, But none would repent. Only Lot and his familer(aside from his wife) made it out alive.
 
Dondi said:
But aren't the events in Revelations inevitable? I mean all the details about the nations and bowls and trumpets of wrath, clearly was mean to portray actual future events, as if John had a glimpse of a foregone future. Surely God doesn't wish His wrath on anyone, but all to come to repentance. But maybe we as the human race are just that stubborn. UNLESS is a pretty big word, IMO.

That is what hope is all about. The beauty of the future is that unlike the past, nothing is cut in stone. In revelations, the John who witnessed these visions, never said, there is no way out of this. The message we are given is, if we continue walking away from God, this will happen. It is if you will, a prophecy with options, one in which we have a significant say in the outcome...

v/r

Q
 
Well, one thing the book of Revelations is explicit on is the rise of the Beast and the False Prophet. In the end, they are both cast into the bottomless pit. Afterward, Christ establishes His kingdom while binding Satan for 1000 years. I would gather that during this time, the world has a chance to make amends until the final judgement. This doesn't sound like prophecy with options. In order for peace to come, these things (the world system and it's leaders) will have to be taken care of. I don't think this can be done without Christ's/God's intervention. If God is sitting around waiting for everyone to make peace with each other, He better have a copy of "War and Peace" on hand, cause He'll be waiting an awful long time.
 
Dondi said:
Well, one thing the book of Revelations is explicit on is the rise of the Beast and the False Prophet. In the end, they are both cast into the bottomless pit. Afterward, Christ establishes His kingdom while binding Satan for 1000 years. I would gather that during this time, the world has a chance to make amends until the final judgement. This doesn't sound like prophecy with options. In order for peace to come, these things (the world system and it's leaders) will have to be taken care of. I don't think this can be done without Christ's/God's intervention. If God is sitting around waiting for everyone to make peace with each other, He better have a copy of "War and Peace" on hand, cause He'll be waiting an awful long time.

Yes, true, but timing is everything...and currently we have some time (don't know how much). Also if by some miracle man turned towards God enmasse, there would only be the battle of God against the deceiver and his minoans, with no human casualties. Wouldn't that be a significant victory?

v/r

Q
 
Dondi said:
Well, one thing the book of Revelations is explicit on is the rise of the Beast and the False Prophet. In the end, they are both cast into the bottomless pit. Afterward, Christ establishes His kingdom while binding Satan for 1000 years. I would gather that during this time, the world has a chance to make amends until the final judgement. This doesn't sound like prophecy with options. In order for peace to come, these things (the world system and it's leaders) will have to be taken care of. I don't think this can be done without Christ's/God's intervention. If God is sitting around waiting for everyone to make peace with each other, He better have a copy of "War and Peace" on hand, cause He'll be waiting an awful long time.
yes i agree , and he will get rid of manmade goverments as Daniel 2;44 tells us, he will step into the affairs of man , the kingdom is NOW set up and ready to take action it is happening NOW but do people recognize his kingdom that was set up in 1914 if we dont recogonize Jesus as king of the heavenly goverment we will be judged for it
 
Curios Mike said:
You have to read the whole message of Matt 24 to get the meaning of what generation he is speaking of.

Matt 24:32-35
32 "Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near--at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
NKJV

He is speaking of that generation that sees all of these things come to pass. Which is why I posed the question in another Thread about does the fig tree represent Isreal and the Prophecies in Ezekiel, and Zachariah about Isreal becoming a nation again.
My thoughts



:D Depends on how long yah wait! ;)
yes we are seeing it right now and it is near at the door ,but do we recognize it or are we crooked in our thinking, are we a crooked generation? the signs are all there , but how do we respond to the signs
And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come. matthew 24;14 the kingdom is NOW ESTABLISHED do we want it or do we not? is it good news to us or is it not ?

 
Is not the question here are we that generation ? It is easy to see how it would relate to us the world is a hardened place for those who follow. Burton the content of the message correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Jesus also tell us that he forewarned us for our peace. I believe that generation was then as it is now for there is the question of Death. Does it not also say that we sleep until the judgment hence no-one passes away to then !
Discerning the times is given, thats right. But only God knows his time of visitation.
 
one of the few said:
Is not the question here are we that generation ? It is easy to see how it would relate to us the world is a hardened place for those who follow. Burton the content of the message correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Jesus also tell us that he forewarned us for our peace. I believe that generation was then as it is now for there is the question of Death. Does it not also say that we sleep until the judgment hence no-one passes away to then !
Discerning the times is given, thats right. But only God knows his time of visitation.

That is right. and until then my kids can have kids, and their kids can have kids, and so on, and we can keep trying to get it right. We fight the good fight. We never surrender, because we were not told to surrender, yet.

That is the difference. We do not quit. That is the legacy of this generation.

I am at the end of one, or the beginning of another, but in my generation I was taught to never quit.

my thoughts

v/r

Q
 
Get saved from this crooked generation. Acts 2;40 thats what peter said to the Jews then present, its the same now for the major fullfillment that is happening in our time, we are living in amongst a generation who are faithless and twisted
In response Jesus said: "O faithless and twisted generation, how long must I continue with you and put up with you? ..luke 9;41
(Deuteronomy 32:5) They have acted ruinously on their own part; They are not his children, the defect is their own. A generation crooked and twisted! yes its the same to day people do not recognize Jesus and his kingship.
(Psalm 78:8) And they should not become like their forefathers, A generation stubborn and rebellious, A generation who had not prepared their heart And whose spirit was not trustworthy with God............. i think i am going to prepare my heart to recognize Jesus kingship that happened in 1914 in the heavenly kingdom goverment, as that is the only way to salvation,
 
Quahom1 said:
I am at the end of one, or the beginning of another, but in my generation I was taught to never quit.

my thoughts

v/r

Q


Whether it's a question of never quit, I was told once that its in finishing the race not winning, As for generation are we not the church age which in it self is a generation ? leaving us one more view to consider in the greater scheme of things.
 
Dondi said:
OK then, when will "this generation" pass? Is there a timeline of events or is it just when everyone decides to buy into the Kingdom? Should we wait for the Apocalpse or can we possible avert that fate by repenting and returning to God?
i think the verse says that this generation will by no means pass away
 
Quahom1 said:
This generation is passing away as we write...

v/r

Q
a faithless generation will not pass away ,there will be a faithless generation around , the word generation that Jesus was refering to was about the masses that did not believe , they are faithless and resistant to Gods purpose. thats what Jesus meant
 
mee said:
a faithless generation will not pass away ,there will be a faithless generation around , the word generation that Jesus was refering to was about the masses that did not believe , they are faithless and resistant to Gods purpose. thats what Jesus meant

That is true, since the coming of Jesus 2000 years ago. So if this is what is meant, then a "generation" is not 70 years...

v/r

Q
 
Quahom1 said:
That is true, since the coming of Jesus 2000 years ago. So if this is what is meant, then a "generation" is not 70 years...

v/r

Q
yes it is quite right to say that when Jesus spoke about (this generation ) he was not refering to a time of years ,but to the attitudes of the masses, how the unbelievers would be acting .back in Jesus time he was refering to the ones who did not accept and recognize him, and so it is today in the major fullfillment that is happening now ,the signs are all happening and the fullfilling of prophecies are all happening , but still the masses are not recognizing Jesus kingship inline with the bible ,yes it is a faithless generation.........
"O faithless and twisted generation, how long must I continue with you and put up with you?"—LUKE 9:41. that is what Jesus said .
The inspired record at Matthew 24:3-22, Mark 13:3-20, and Luke 21:7-24 introduces Jesus’ prophetic description of "the conclusion of the system of things." This prophecy had an initial fulfillment on the corrupt Jewish system of things of the first century of our Common Era, culminating in an unprecedented "great tribulation" on the Jews. The entire religious and political structure of the Jewish system, centered at Jerusalem’s temple, was thrown down, never to be restored.
A "faithless and twisted generation," egged on by its religious leaders, played a key part in bringing about the death of the Lord Jesus Christ.
In the first century, Jehovah was judging the Jewish people. Repentant ones, who came to exercise faith in Jehovah’s merciful provision through Christ, were saved out of that "great tribulation.
Today, "the great day of Jehovah . . . is near, and there is a hurrying of it very much." (Zephaniah 1:14-18; Isaiah 13:9, 13) Suddenly, at Jehovah’s own predetermined "day and hour," his fury will be unleashed upon the world’s religious, political, and commercial elements, together with the wayward people who make up this contemporary "wicked and adulterous generation." (Matthew 12:39; 24:36; Revelation 7:1-3, 9, 14)
note how the wicked Jewish generation that called for the blood of Jesus met its end. What, then, of the ruinous generation of mankind that even now opposes or ignores him? When will judgment on this faithless generation be executed?
Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term "generation" as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics

 
Back
Top