Why do people try to change Christianity?

Dor

Bible Thumper
Reaction score

Seriously if people do not like Christianity why don't people just find another religion instead of trying to carve Christianity up to fit them?

Do people do it constantly to Islam and Judaism and I just do not see it?

I mean the Bible and Christ are about the only 2 things Christianity has right?
Well if people do not want to believe those then how can they even call themselves Christians?

Where would you draw the line on using that classification?

because christ causes reaction in people and the spirit world.
there are those that desire to mislead people from jesus who is the way, the truth, and the life.

Because life is not stationary, it moves on and, sensibly, most folk agree that their religions of choice should too.

i believe the hurdles we have to face as humans in changing religions is very great. we have invested culture, family, ideals into religion. many do not want to make the change to please people, but its not god they are pleasing.

why should they not try to alter christianity? there are many ideas within christianity which modern men and women should recognise are NOT the holy words of God, but words written by men, kings and priests, centuries ago... we all know that the bible has been edited, altered, changed, parts removed, parts added, and debates have raged throughout christendom about the tenets we today hold so dear... jesus wasn't always a god, u know, they held a meeting to determine how he should be viewed... years ago, the virgin mary was thought by all christians to be the holy womb of god, yet again, the church popes held another meeting, and schisms formed in the overall church every time a new idea was bandied about by a few popes... hence the different types of christian, catholic, eastern orthodox, protestant, methodist, quaker, etc, etc...

I feel that there may well be jews and muslims who disagree with the teachings within their own traditions, for various reasons, yet maybe they keep quiet about it more than christians do, or there is more scope for interpretating scriptures in different ways... ? it would be interesting to find out, though...

Seriously if people do not like Christianity why don't people just find another religion instead of trying to carve Christianity up to fit them?

Well if people do not want to believe those then how can they even call themselves Christians?

Islam is pretty well carved up too, try putting a Salafi, Sufi, and a Shiite in a room together.

I think with any religion you're going to get differences between individuals, and it's when the differences are dwelt upon that they become something more than what they started out as.

why should they not try to alter christianity? there are many ideas within christianity which modern men and women should recognise are NOT the holy words of God, but words written by men, kings and priests, centuries ago... we all know that the bible has been edited, altered, changed, parts removed, parts added, and debates have raged throughout christendom about the tenets we today hold so dear... jesus wasn't always a god, u know, they held a meeting to determine how he should be viewed... years ago, the virgin mary was thought by all christians to be the holy womb of god, yet again, the church popes held another meeting, and schisms formed in the overall church every time a new idea was bandied about by a few popes... hence the different types of christian, catholic, eastern orthodox, protestant, methodist, quaker, etc, etc...

I feel that there may well be jews and muslims who disagree with the teachings within their own traditions, for various reasons, yet maybe they keep quiet about it more than christians do, or there is more scope for interpretating scriptures in different ways... ? it would be interesting to find out, though...
And where did you glean these little nuggets of pseudo-knowledge? I would truly like to research your facts.

How far back do you want to go? I guess one could practice some form of primitive Catholicism. If religion doen't evolve it becomes a gilded anachronism, which is what Christianity is at one level. But Christian theology has a rich history of contemplation and evolution. Same with Judaism, same with Islam. Of course most rank and file Christians aren't aware of the history or nature of that theological debate, but surely you realize that the form of Christianity practiced by Protestants, and Evangelicals in particular is a relatively recent adaptation. Why did you all want to change Christianity?

Chris

Of course most rank and file Christians aren't aware of the history or nature of that theological debate, but surely you realize that the form of Christianity practiced by Protestants, and Evangelicals in particular is a relatively recent adaptation. Why did you all want to change Christianity?
Chris

You hit the spot there Chris.

Put yourself into a time machine, wind it back a good thousand years, and ask the same question again: why do people try to change Christianity?:D

You hit the spot there Chris.

Put yourself into a time machine, wind it back a good thousand years, and ask the same question again: why do people try to change Christianity?:D
Hmmm 1000 yrs ago Christ was still God and the same books were in the Bible.
I do not see many problems for me.:)

Kindest Regards, Dor!

Seriously if people do not like Christianity why don't people just find another religion instead of trying to carve Christianity up to fit them?...

Interesting question.

Of course, if we are going to be honest with this line of thought, shouldn't we carry back to the source? What was Christianity like say about 50 or 60 AD? Before the Protestant reformation, before the Catholic schisms, before the Council of Nicea that legalized the Christian faith in the pagan world of the Roman Empire, before the Gnostics and Aryans and heresies, before the destruction of the Jewish Temple at Jerusalem? What was Christianity like fresh out of the mouth of Jesus?

I don't think it was anything like it is today, in any denomination. But, that's just my opinion. My opinion doesn't count, G-d's opinion does count.

Maybe G-d forsaw all of this, and allows each of us a little leeway in accord with what we know and understand.

Or else, there's a whole lot of us in a heap of doo-doo. Pretty much everybody, I reckon, by this point in time. :eek: ;)

Of course, if we are going to be honest with this line of thought, shouldn't we carry back to the source? What was Christianity like say about 50 or 60 AD? Before the Protestant reformation, before the Catholic schisms, before the Council of Nicea that legalized the Christian faith in the pagan world of the Roman Empire, before the Gnostics and Aryans and heresies, before the destruction of the Jewish Temple at Jerusalem? What was Christianity like fresh out of the mouth of Jesus?

Excellent points. :) And like...before any of the Gospels or Paul's letters were written...

I think that you're right on two counts. No denomination today is exactly like it and I don't think God is going to fail us for doing things a bit differently today.

luna

Excellent points. :) And like...before any of the Gospels or Paul's letters were written...

I think that you're right on two counts. No denomination today is exactly like it and I don't think God is going to fail us for doing things a bit differently today.

luna

We would have exactly the scriptures that Jesus used but with Jesus having fulfilled the 300+ messianic prophecies..

I disagree with the last bit though.. Your wording actually.. How can a sovereign God fail us? He gave us everything we need.. the written word and the Holy Spirit of God and both point us to Jesus Christ.

Mark 4:14 The sower sows the word.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

We would have exactly the scriptures that Jesus used but with Jesus having fulfilled the 300+ messianic prophecies..

I disagree with the last bit though.. Your wording actually.. How can a sovereign God fail us? He gave us everything we need.. the written word and the Holy Spirit of God and both point us to Jesus Christ.

Mark 4:14 The sower sows the word.

Heb 4:12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Hi Faithful,

I was following and extending a bit on this comment by Juan: "Maybe G-d forsaw all of this, and allows each of us a little leeway in accord with what we know and understand." I don't think God judges us like it's a test and whoever believes in just the right way 'passes' and everyone else is 'failed.' As Juan said, I think God gives us a lot more leeway than that. Grace.

Sorry if the wording was poor.

luna

Kindest Regards, Dor!

Interesting question.

This is where I've been trying to project myself to understand the reaction of the people of the time to Jesus and comparing with the reaction of Israel to God.

I believe Jesus expounded God's word as it always was from the beginning and always will be. I don't think God's word changes (as He has said). And I certainly don't want to add to His words or take anything away.

My dad used to say "if you try to be pretty good, you'll be mediocre but if you try to be excellent, you might end up pretty good".

I've thought it might be interesting to take just "those red words" and see what they say. I'll bet there would be no conflict with any of God's words in the OT.

Maybe the term "Christian" gets in the way sometimes. Maybe God always just wanted us to be "God People" and sent Jesus as an example. And now we get hung up on the term "Christian".

Back