Ban Religion Completely

It was Hitler's motive with the Jews.

The Jews were a scape goat. Hitler could have cared less about them. It was a means to band the german people together, against a common enemy. He could care less about homosexuals either, until he saw his good friend engaged in such an act. That is what set him off.

Originally Posted by RevKelly View Post
It was Hitler's motive with the Jews.

Not religion. Hitler picked the Jews because they were an easily-identified social class and because basically all of Europe was generally anti-semitic. Hitler was recorded to have said "Who remembers the Armenians?" when someone suggested that killing the Jews might go against him.

After the Jews it was Communists. After them it was everybody and anybody who did not fit the image. Homosexuals, artists, intellectuals, the sick and the lame ... many were sent to the camps for being deaf, blind, epileptic ...

Meanwhile Stalin was purging Russia at a phenomenal rate, and the Germans took over, 6m Jews died in the camps, and so did 20m Russians.

Then we have Pol Pot, Chairman Mao ...

... and genocides right up to this day, now under the PC title of 'ethnic cleansing'.

... and lest we forget, forced sterilisation of 'anti-social elements' was practiced in Scandinavia and the US in the 50s.

... and Mary Stopes!

Thomas

Hi,

Thanks for the interesting posts. Is it the "organised" bit of Sir E's quote that carries with it the seeds of the problem: the potential vehicle for terrible actions? (I realise such things have also been carried out by secular regimes espousing other beliefs).

s.

(PS still not keen on the music)

we can't ban religion, because if we do we'll have nothing to do on sundays.

And we won't be able to hate *Muslims/*Hindus/*Jews/*Christians (*delete where applicable) anymore, either.

If we ban religion I won't be able to throw stones at the Proddies anymore on the glorious 12th.

we can't ban religion, because if we do we'll have nothing to do on sundays.

And we won't be able to hate *Muslims/*Hindus/*Jews/*Christians (*delete where applicable) anymore, either.

If we ban religion I won't be able to throw stones at the Proddies anymore on the glorious 12th.
Instead, the anti-religionists are throwing stones at the religionists. :rolleyes:

In my eyes, religion has been and still is used as an excuse for many cruel regimes and evil people. You could take away the religion, but they would find another excuse because they are just full of hate.

Someone mentioned football violence? It's exactly the same. The people who engage in football violence aren't really football fans any more than Al-Quaida type groups are not really muslims. In fact many of the protagonists will happily admit, when asked, that they don't care at all about football, they just want to fight.

There are any number of excuses, but when you get right down to it, some people just want to hate.

I recall the occasion when British and German soldiers played football in no-mans-land during the 14-18 war. As word began to filter back, horror struck the HQs of both sides, who thought it best to organise a barrage of the playing field as soon as possible.

The argument was, of course, that one might be less inclined to kill the person you'd been playing football with the day before.

I mean, good grief, enemies talking! Whatever next ... the peaceful settlement of disputes?

Hey! I've just had a crazy idea! Why not leave religion as it is, and ban war instead?

Thomas

I'd be interested in comparing the numbers of incidents of violence attributed to soccer (football) games in Europe as compared to violence related to religion there.

Hi sg,

Well some of the most dreadful violence has happened when the two are combined; I'm thinking of Celtic and Rangers in Scotland. From Wiki:

Scotland suffers from a spill-over of Northern Irish sectarianism due to the many people with links to both communities living in the country, particularly in the West. The Old Firm of Celtic and Rangers football clubs have provided a focus for this, with Rangers being the Protestant and Celtic the Catholic icon.

Even in recent years, deaths and serious injuries have taken place after Old Firm matches.

s.

The Rangers/Celtic conflict in scotland is a very strange situation. Although both teams are based in Glasgow, the arguments between them seem to span all of Scotland and as Snoopy pointed out, it goes far beyond football.

Although I am English, I went to University in Scotland in Dundee. On a few occasions I was foolish enough to go out in public wearing some piece of clothing with an England insignia or flag on display. Many of the locals (usually young men) would shout abuse at me on the street, calling me a "Blue Nosed B*****d"

I didn't take much offence at this for a long time until a Scottish friend of mine explained it to me. I was blue because I was English, therefore I must be a protestant, therefore I must be a Rangers supporter. (Rangers play in blue for those who dont know)

I of course was not a Rangers supporter, and far from being a protestant, I was a buddhist, although my family are all catholic which technically should have endeared me more to Celtic fans.

I was never personally involved in any sectarian violence, but I do know people who were. People who were abused and attacked, sometimes because they were a supporter of the wrong team, but also sometimes because, like me, they were from a place or social group which was associated with one team or the other - usually without knowing it.

Like I said before - some people just want to hate.

Awaiting_the_fifth said:
Like I said before - some people just want to hate.

I don't think people "just want to hate" -- that's a really crude way of putting it.

Do people just wake up in the morning and just "want to hate?" Do people just "feel like going to the pub?" Do people just "want to watch TV?"

These people are bored. Wreaking havoc and causing damage is a way of dealing with that boredom. All you need is to find something to do. These people are driven by testosterone and have nothing better to do than cause damage (assuming most of them are men). If they are men, the natural instinct would be to pick a fight or starting breaking something and smashing it to pieces.

They're mad. Erratic. It's like being drunk. Maybe they are drunk.

With inter-religious conflicts it has a lot to do with the simple act of existing. I think, therefore I am. I exist. What do I do with myself now?

I have an identity. I belong to religion X. That guy belongs to religion Y. The guy that belongs to religion Y is not one of us. It's time to get rid of religion Y and its adherents. The world would be a better place without religion Y. Who's with me?

I don't think people "just want to hate" -- that's a really crude way of putting it.

Do people just wake up in the morning and just "want to hate?" Do people just "feel like going to the pub?" Do people just "want to watch TV?"

These people are bored. Wreaking havoc and causing damage is a way of dealing with that boredom. All you need is to find something to do. These people are driven by testosterone and have nothing better to do than cause damage (assuming most of them are men). If they are men, the natural instinct would be to pick a fight or starting breaking something and smashing it to pieces.

They're mad. Erratic. It's like being drunk. Maybe they are drunk.
Passion sans thinking.

With inter-religious conflicts it has a lot to do with the simple act of existing. I think, therefore I am. I exist. What do I do with myself now?

I have an identity. I belong to religion X. That guy belongs to religion Y. The guy that belongs to religion Y is not one of us. It's time to get rid of religion Y and its adherents. The world would be a better place without religion Y. Who's with me?
Passion sans compassion.

i agree, ban it al. this would force god into action!

he wouldnt be able to sit by and watch generationafter generation of his people go on witout the bible to guide them in what was true.

it might even bring about the second comming!

i agree, ban it al. this would force god into action!

he wouldnt be able to sit by and watch generationafter generation of his people go on witout the bible to guide them in what was true.

it might even bring about the second comming!
Reminds me of a child that destroys things to get attention.

Matthew 4:7 Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'"

Interesting take. I'd be interested in comparing the numbers of incidents of violence attributed to soccer (football) games in Europe as compared to violence related to religion there.
Reminds me of this coach for my sister's soccer team. The ref called something off a bit so the coach questioned the ref and then he let it go. Then the coach asked some vocal parents to let it go and a soccer mom just about decked him. She literally charged him and bounced him off her excessive girth while raising her arms and yelling to let everyone know her values... in front of two teams of girls around age 8 or 9.

Like everything I'd place sports in the dual use category... it depends how you look at it and what you do with it.

Reminds me of this coach for my sister's soccer team. The ref called something off a bit so the coach questioned the ref and then he let it go. Then the coach asked some vocal parents to let it go and a soccer mom just about decked him. She literally charged him and bounced him off her excessive girth while raising her arms and yelling to let everyone know her values... in front of two teams of girls around age 8 or 9.

Like everything I'd place sports in the dual use category... it depends how you look at it and what you do with it.

So, this is likened to religion, or people involved in religion? Ban the dogma and practice, or the idiots practicing the dogma?:eek:

but then how does one choose?..

Back