Parables

Cage

Spirit Guided
Reaction score
What are your views on Jesus' parables? What do they mean to you, and how did you come to accept your views of them?

I've read that we can't teach through parables here, but we can discuss our members views of them, correct? I'm very curious as to how others interpret their meaning...

We can start with one in Matthew...

Matthew 13:3-9

3. And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
4. And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
5. Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
6. And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
7. And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
8. But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.
9. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

This could be a fun thread, yes? :)

Much Love,

the truth and wisdom in the jesus christ's parables is at a level that the dejected, lower class, uneducated, laborers, diseased, and rejected people could understand, and at the same time shows the beauty of god words that can be revealed in his creations.

the truth and wisdom in the jesus christ's parables is at a level that the dejected, lower class, uneducated, laborers, diseased, and rejected people could understand, and at the same time shows the beauty of god words that can be revealed in his creations.

o.k. what do you feel has been revealed to you through the parable I posted, if anything? Does it hold any special meaning to you, or was it just for the dejected, lower class, uneducated, laborers, diseased, and rejected people of those times to understand? Jesus gave some good insight as to what it meant in the Bible, but still left some things to be debated...I think? Or, were you suggesting that the Jesus' parables were very simple things to comprehend?

I'm fairly certain I know what I believe, but I want to know if what I believe is similar to what people here believe.

Much Love,

He spoke to them only in parables, to fulfill what had been said through the prophet: "I will open my mouth in parables, I will announce what has lain hidden from the foundation (of the world)."

This is why I speak to them in parables, because 'they look but do not see and hear but do not listen or understand.' Isaiah's prophecy is fulfilled in them, which says: 'You shall indeed hear but not understand you shall indeed look but never see. Gross is the heart of this people, they will hardly hear with their ears, they have closed their eyes, lest they see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and be converted, and I heal them.' http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/#foot7 "But blessed are your eyes, because they see, and your ears, because they hear. Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

"Hear then the parable of the sower. The seed sown on the path is the one who hears the word of the kingdom without understanding it, and the evil one comes and steals away what was sown in his heart. The seed sown on rocky ground is the one who hears the word and receives it at once with joy. But he has no root and lasts only for a time. When some tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, he immediately falls away. The seed sown among thorns is the one who hears the word, but then worldly anxiety and the lure of riches choke the word and it bears no fruit. But the seed sown on rich soil is the one who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and yields a hundred or sixty or thirtyfold."

I've read that we can't teach through parables here, but we can discuss our members views of them, correct?
I'm confused at what you mean here, I don't understand why anyone can't teach or discuss through parables...many do on a regular basis we use metaphor, analogies and parables to prove a point.
Cage said:

3. And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;
4. And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
5. Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
6. And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
8. But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

This could be a fun thread, yes? :)
Some say there are seven levels of understanding in scripture...I think it is more like seventy times seven, which was utilized to mean an unlimited amount. This one is used quite regularly. How do you think he would have been received if he were to have said 4. What I have to tell you is beyond most of your capability to understand. 5. Some of you don't have enough education 6. and won't take the time to understand, and when you test my thesis it won't work. 7. Others of you will simply ignore what I have to say and say it makes no sense and isn't worth your time. 8. But a few of you will be able to take these simple concepts and not only utilize them for your own benefit but teach others as well.
I think he utilized parables for three main reasons, first because it could be remembered easily and retold...it was told in story fashion, second because the parables spoke to all that were willing to listen, third because the Pharisees couldn't hang him on parables.

For similar reason nursery rhymes were written, Gulliver's Travels was written, So the powers that be couldn't prosecute someone talking in riddles.

Kindest Regards, Cage, it is a pleasure to see you back around!
I've read that we can't teach through parables here, but we can discuss our members views of them, correct?
I'm not certain where you might have read this, but I am hard pressed to think of any mod here who would have issues with teaching through parables. If one views a parable as an example, "we" (especially me) use parables and examples quite often. So if there is some need for you to use parable or example, I see no offense on that count.

This has long been a favorite teaching of mine. I think you will find I reference it from time to time when dealing with a Christian's obligation to witness the faith. That, in my humble opinion, when a Christian finds their witness falling on deaf ears, to leave well enough alone rather than trying to hammer "Jesus" home in the mind of the unwilling. A lot of Christians lose sight of the fact that they cannot "make" a seed grow, the growing is up to G-d. We can water, prune, fertilize and otherwise tend and care for, but we should not be dismayed if a seed does not grow as we hope. When we place ourself in the role of G-d, as seed grower, we set ourselves up for disappointment and failure (which can lead to us blaming G-d down the road...for what is in reality our own arrogance and self-righteousness!).

Anyway, that is my take. Thanks. :)

I think he utilized parables for three main reasons, first because it could be remembered easily and retold...it was told in story fashion, second because the parables spoke to all that were willing to listen, third because the Pharisees couldn't hang him on parables.
i think that is a part of it also.

Kindest Regards, Cage, it is a pleasure to see you back around!

I'm not certain where you might have read this, but I am hard pressed to think of any mod here who would have issues with teaching through parables. If one views a parable as an example, "we" (especially me) use parables and examples quite often. So if there is some need for you to use parable or example, I see no offense on that count.

This has long been a favorite teaching of mine. I think you will find I reference it from time to time when dealing with a Christian's obligation to witness the faith. That, in my humble opinion, when a Christian finds their witness falling on deaf ears, to leave well enough alone rather than trying to hammer "Jesus" home in the mind of the unwilling. A lot of Christians lose sight of the fact that they cannot "make" a seed grow, the growing is up to G-d. We can water, prune, fertilize and otherwise tend and care for, but we should not be dismayed if a seed does not grow as we hope. When we place ourself in the role of G-d, as seed grower, we set ourselves up for disappointment and failure (which can lead to us blaming G-d down the road...for what is in reality our own arrogance and self-righteousness!).

Anyway, that is my take. Thanks. :)

Do you think we should 'sow' seeds? Only God, and the individuals in question can make the seed grow, but certainly we are sowers ourselves, right?

Much Love,

Kindest Regards, Cage!
Do you think we should 'sow' seeds? Only God, and the individuals in question can make the seed grow, but certainly we are sowers ourselves, right?
Well, I can only answer from my perspective. There may well be others who see things differently.

Of course we should sow seeds...but what does that mean to you, exactly? To me, it is living my life as an example to those around me. Sure, I drop a line of witness every once in a while to get a feel for how receptive a person might be, but mostly I let people come to me, on their own terms, when they are ready. The point is, we *cannot* make a seed grow, the growing is up to G-d. We can do everything in our power and means to make the conditions "right," but if the seed ain't gonna grow, it ain't gonna grow.

The flip side is that G-d can make a seed grow without our help. This has analogy with the mystery of birth and creation. We all know the mechanics, but not one of us can create another soul. Just the same, we cannot save another soul. The saving is up to G-d and that individual. We can assist in the "salvage operation" if you like, but we cannot actually save anyone except ourself. That is an important clue...we cannot answer for any other, and no other can answer for us. We are not guilty of the sins of our fathers, nor are our fathers guilty of our sins. (We might learn a particular pattern of sin from our father, but the blame rests squarely on our personal free-will choice to sin)

I hope this is not too muddled.

I'm confused at what you mean here, I don't understand why anyone can't teach or discuss through parables...many do on a regular basis we use metaphor, analogies and parables to prove a point.Some say there are seven levels of understanding in scripture...I think it is more like seventy times seven, which was utilized to mean an unlimited amount. This one is used quite regularly. How do you think he would have been received if he were to have said 4. What I have to tell you is beyond most of your capability to understand. 5. Some of you don't have enough education 6. and won't take the time to understand, and when you test my thesis it won't work. 7. Others of you will simply ignore what I have to say and say it makes no sense and isn't worth your time. 8. But a few of you will be able to take these simple concepts and not only utilize them for your own benefit but teach others as well.I think he utilized parables for three main reasons, first because it could be remembered easily and retold...it was told in story fashion, second because the parables spoke to all that were willing to listen, third because the Pharisees couldn't hang him on parables.

For similar reason nursery rhymes were written, Gulliver's Travels was written, So the powers that be couldn't prosecute someone talking in riddles.

I like your take on the parables, and I do agree; I like using them as well. I read a post that said "Parables cannot be used to teach" or something to that effect, lol!

I didn't read the rules. :D

If I can ask, what to you think the seed was in that parable?

Much Love,

Kindest Regards, Cage!

Well, I can only answer from my perspective. There may well be others who see things differently.

Of course we should sow seeds...but what does that mean to you, exactly? To me, it is living my life as an example to those around me. Sure, I drop a line of witness every once in a while to get a feel for how receptive a person might be, but mostly I let people come to me, on their own terms, when they are ready. The point is, we *cannot* make a seed grow, the growing is up to G-d. We can do everything in our power and means to make the conditions "right," but if the seed ain't gonna grow, it ain't gonna grow.

The flip side is that G-d can make a seed grow without our help. This has analogy with the mystery of birth and creation. We all know the mechanics, but not one of us can create another soul. Just the same, we cannot save another soul. The saving is up to G-d and that individual. We can assist in the "salvage operation" if you like, but we cannot actually save anyone except ourself. That is an important clue...we cannot answer for any other, and no other can answer for us. We are not guilty of the sins of our fathers, nor are our fathers guilty of our sins. (We might learn a particular pattern of sin from our father, but the blame rests squarely on our personal free-will choice to sin)

I hope this is not too muddled.

No, I agree 100%. Thank you, juantoo!

Much Love,

btw, thank you for another fine welcome. :)

If I can ask, what to you think the seed was in that parable?
Litterally? A seed.

It can also be thought, the word, love, compassion....

What else could it be? Cure for cancer? A power drill? Cold fusion?

Anything we aren't ready for?

How about Peace on Earth?

Lotta swine out there....

Gotcha! ;)

The swine don't bother me, [nor should they you] and there are pearls most everywhere...all that's left is for the sowers to spread the seed in all places. Some will grow, and some will not. The way I see it is that the kingdom has been at hand since Jesus showed us the way 2000 years ago.

In each individual...

Much Love,

Matthew 13:4546

45. Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:
46. Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.

Whats this mean to you juantoo?

Much Love,

OOOhhh. I so late for this thread. But I wanted to comment on the Sower parable before we get too far into the pearl of great price.

The Sower parable is one of the few that Jesus actually interprets, perhaps the only one. But I have a feeling that this is for example, a key in how to approach the other parables:

"Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.
When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;
Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty." - Matthew 13:18-23

Luke 8:11 clearly tells us the seed is the Word of God.

The question is, Who is the Sower? Is it God, or is it us as believers?

I tend to think it is God working through man. God has always used people to convey His Message:

"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;" - Hebrews 1:1-2

All through biblical history, God has proclaimed His Word through the prophets. But now we receive from the Word of God, that is Christ, who is the visual representation of God in the flesh, another human that God uses to convey His message. And with the 12 apostles, spreads the word to the multitudes and beyond.

The Apostle Paul makes it clear that the message is be received just as it has been passed on to him:

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:" - I Cor 15:1-4

But Paul also makes the caveat "unless you have believed in vain". It supplies the incite to the types of soil the seed is sown.

When we come to the subject of the various types of ground in which the seed is sown, we are now speaking of those who receive the word. They soil represents the human hearts of those who hear the word.

Those with a receptive ear are those who not only receive the word, but act diligently upon it. They do not believe in vain, rather have put their whole heart into the matter. Therefore, they will flourish and be productive in their growth, in their love for others, in their relationship with God. They are doers of the word.

We can kinda combine the other soils as examples where the word is received in vain. These are people who have NOT put their whole heart into the matter and while they like the idea of believing in God and have some form of worship, there are things in their lives that prevent them from experiencing the FULNESS of God in their lives. There is a casualness to their hearing, choosing only what they want to hear and disregard the rest (as the song goes). They like what they hear, but are they willing to obey it? Their minds are not geared to spiritual things. They have a form of godliness, but ignore the Power. They are choked up in the material things of the world. They are wrapped up in certain relationships. They have hobbies and pleasures that dim the sense of the spiritual. So many things, so much to do, so much to see, they haven't stopped to count the cost of their actions. They haven't taken heed to good council of God's Word. They haven't lost their life so that they can gain it.

They is us sometimes. They is me many times.

I've started another thread on The Good Samaritan.

Thomas

OOOhhh. I so late for this thread. ...
The Sower parable is one of the few that Jesus actually interprets, perhaps the only one.
ya you are late, i already posted jesus' interpretation on the 3rd reply of this thread.

ya you are late, i already posted jesus' interpretation on the 3rd reply of this thread.

Indeed you did. I'll admit I didn't read all the posts carefully as I was late in responding. I didn't immediately recognize the quote as you didn't have the reference accompanying it. My apologies, though.

Back