Are you a heretic?

Snoopy

Reaction score
If one defines heresy as going against an authoritative system of dogma (designated as orthodox), does that make you a heretic? I suppose I’m thinking of a more mystical approach being your guide in the “spritual quest” of your life (sorry if that’s not an appropriate term for you). This seems to me to be an interesting area since, as it is found within disparate religious traditions (eg Gnosticism, Kabbalah, Sufism, Zen), behind the differing words and practices there may be a great commonality from which we all could benefit. An open question then…

s.

I am DEFINITELY a heretic, and thank God for that. Authoritative systems of dogma invariably become shallow substitutes for a genuine spiritual experience.

You will indeed find a great commonality in the mystical areas of all religions.

Note this definition from the Oxford dictionary:

mystic // n. & adj.
n. a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity or identity with or absorption into the Deity or the ultimate reality, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the understanding.
adj.
1 mysterious and awe-inspiring.
2 spiritually allegorical or symbolic.
3 occult, esoteric.
4 of hidden meaning

I will no doubt contribute more to this discussion when I see what course it is taking.

Hi intrepidlover,

Thanks for your contribution (first of many no doubt!) and welcome to CR.

Snoopy.

I don't think I'm a heretic...but many others do...but those that think like me don't...well some of them do.

Of course I didn't think I had a substance problem....but many others did...but those that partied with me didn't...well some of them did.

I don't think I'm an ass....but many others do...but those...

I don't think I'm opinionated.....but...

I don't think....

hmmm...

I must be a heretic.

Yes yer honor sir, I would like to testify that Wil here is definitely a heretic....

What me? Well I... I mean umm...

Well yeah.. ok.. ya got me:D

Hi,

Look, I realise that the word "heretic" has negative connotations (possibly due to orthodox establishments wanting to forcibly maintain their power?) but I promise there's no stakes, matches or cannisters of petrol hiding round the back of my pc so let's not have any more reticence! Anyway, I knew you were!:D

s.

Sorry Snoopy, sometimes if I don't make a bad joke my head hurts all day :)

As to the matter at hand, I think if one doesn't risk being called out for heresy you really aren't at the cutting edge of the "don't know mind"
Regardless of what religions or paths you may be exploring it is important to know when to inquire, and when to be silent.

There are even times when just sitting in silence itself is a form of inquiry. I know I drove my old pastor crazy with questions, but our local teacher Ven. Tenzin Kacho also got to practice patience when dealing with my inquiries.

Peace

Mark

Hey, speaking about sitting in silence, Belief Net says I'm 100% Orthodox Quaker, who are rather anti-authoritarian and mystical by nature, and who like to conduct their meetings in silence. :p

Hmm, does that make me an orthodox heretic? :confused:

Hmmm. I'm not sure you can use the words "orthodox" and "Seattlegal" in the same sentence.
:D

Hey, speaking about sitting in silence, Belief Net says I'm 100% Orthodox Quaker, who are rather anti-authoritarian and mystical by nature, and who like to conduct their meetings in silence. :p

Hmm, does that make me an orthodox heretic? :confused:

Hi,

"Thus it will be perceived that "heresy" has no purely objective meaning: the category exists only from the point-of-view of a position within a sect that has been previously defined as "orthodox". Thus, too, any nonconformist view within any field may be perceived as "heretical" by others within that field who are convinced that their view is "orthodox". "

Anyway, I thought you were an Orthodox Baha'i :rolleyes:

s.

Hmmm. I'm not sure you can use the words "orthodox" and "Seattlegal" in the same sentence.
:D
I don't think "heretic" and "seattlegal" would work in the same sentence, either. :eek:

Snoopy said:
Anyway, I thought you were an Orthodox Baha'i

s.
That was Quaker Baha'i, {according to Beliefnet. Besides, it violates Paladin's rule of not using "Orthodox" and "Seattlegal" together. Maybe "Paradox" would be better? :p }

My campaign is to get rid of words altogether and develop our telepathic ingenuities. But in lieu of that, I guess CR will have to do in the meantime.

I don't like words that label behaviors either, but I AM A HERETIC... I guess... maybe, perhaps, occasionally, periodically, intermittently, when I wish to be... you all know how it is.

Oh...by the way...I believe that Jesus was considered to be a heretic in his day...even though the authorities allowed him to teach in the synagogue.

And, intrepidlover...welcome to CR !

flow....:cool:

Well, seems no one really wants the heretic name tag, so if it's the choice between dog-ma and cat-woman .......... feline felicity feels right.

- c-

I don't think I'm a heretic...but many others do...but those that think like me don't...well some of them do.

Of course I didn't think I had a substance problem....but many others did...but those that partied with me didn't...well some of them did.

I don't think I'm an ass....but many others do...but those...

I don't think I'm opinionated.....but...

Hi,

Doubt is beneficial. Doubt allows growth. Certainty brings tyranny. I think.
:)

s.

Back