Theologians

Very interesting actually. But are there prophecies yet to be fulfilled which were said to be?

Very interesting actually. But are there prophecies yet to be fulfilled which were said to be?

See if you can get a copy of:

The Challenge of Baha'u'llah: Does God Still Speak to Humanity Today?
by Gary L. Matthews

About this title: Author Gary Matthews documents why he believes that the Revelation of Baha'u'llah is divine in origin, representing a unique summons of unequaled importance to humanity. The book contains discussions of Baha'i prophecies concerning historical events and scientific discoveries. Among the events and discoveries discussed are the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the worldwide erosion of ecclesiastical authority, the Holocaust, and the development of nuclear weapons. A new and updated edition. The previous edition (George Ronald) was a limited release and not offered to the U.S. trade/consumer market.
Note: This is a general synopsis. Each listing is further described below.

A prophetic vision...

Here is to me a "prophetic vision" of Baha'u'llah summarized by the Guardian of the Baha'i Faith Shoghi Effendi on March 11, 1936:

The unity of the human race, as envisaged by Bahá'u'lláh, implies the establishment of a world commonwealth in which all nations, races, creeds and classes are closely and permanently united, and in which the autonomy of its state members and the personal freedom and initiative of the individuals that compose them are definitely and completely safeguarded. This commonwealth must, as far as we can visualize it, consist of a world legislature, whose members will, as the trustees of the whole of mankind, ultimately control the entire resources of all the component nations, and will enact such laws as shall be required to regulate the life, satisfy the needs and adjust the relationships of all races and peoples. A world executive, backed by an international Force, will carry out the decisions arrived at, and apply the laws enacted by, this world legislature, and will safeguard the organic unity of the whole commonwealth. A world tribunal will adjudicate and deliver its compulsory and final verdict in all and any disputes that may arise between the various elements constituting this universal system. A mechanism of world inter-communication will be devised, embracing the whole planet, freed from national hindrances and restrictions, and functioning with marvellous swiftness and perfect regularity. A world metropolis will act as the nerve center of a world civilization, the focus towards which the unifying forces of life will converge and from which its energizing influences will radiate. A world language will either be invented or chosen from among the existing languages and will be taught in the schools of all the federated nations as an auxiliary to their mother tongue. A world script, a world literature, a uniform and universal system of currency, of weights and measures, will simplify and facilitate intercourse and understanding among the nations and races of mankind. In such a world society, science and religion, the two most potent forces in human life, will be reconciled, will cöoperate, and will harmoniously develop. The press will, under such a system, while giving full scope to the expression of the diversified views and convictions of mankind, cease to be mischievously manipulated by vested interests, whether private or public, and will be liberated from the influence of contending governments and peoples. The economic resources of the world will be organized, its sources of raw materials will be tapped and fully utilized, its markets will be cöordinated and developed, and the distribution of its products will be equitably regulated.

- From the "World Order of Baha'u'llah" pp. 202-206

Greetings!

Just wondering if Baha'is have an answer to the question of why God let the holocaust take place?

The short answer is that God created us with free will.

I'd say that disasters / negative events can be divided into three sorts:
  • A few are indeed God testing us, as various scriptures state does happen. Both the Muslim and Baha'i scriptures, for example, state "God verily will test them and sift them," and "Do men think when they say, 'We beleive,' they will be let alone and not put to proof?"
  • Some are simply random events, like hurricanes and tornadoes.
  • But most are human-induced, and are very much our own fault. All too often, we are indeed our own worst enemies!
Peace,

Bruce

Baha'i Awareness is not a reliable source... It is "documented" by biased enemies of the Faith who persecute the Baha'is. Think about it. If they would execute Baha'is would they stop at fabricating history? or relying on those who attack the Faith?
- Art

Dear Art:

Thank you for the kind comment on my web site. as regards its reliability, I would prefer if visitors themselves took a call on it. I receive emails with amazing regularity questioning my motive - but never, I repeat never, questioning the references on my web site. Just thought I would write this since credibility and reliability was being discussed.

Regards
Imran

Dear Art:

Thank you for the kind comment on my web site. as regards its reliability, I would prefer if visitors themselves took a call on it. I receive emails with amazing regularity questioning my motive - but never, I repeat never, questioning the references on my web site. Just thought I would write this since credibility and reliability was being discussed.

Regards
Imran

I teach the Baha'i Faith on the Internet and I offer a couple of Baha'i sites as a starting point for the seekers. I also suggest that they can Google Baha'i and come up with thousands of Baha'i sites to aid them with their search. I do warn them that they will also find sites of detractors and attackers that will try to disguise themselves as believers. I finally tell them that they will recognize these sites when they see them, simply because we will recognize the work of God from its fruits and those that are not from the bitter taste they leave.

I do not mention any sites by name. Nor do I denigrate any other beliefs or thoughts to these seekers. I let them make their own decisions. I would like to thank you for your site. It lets the world know how mean spirited many of the Irani's are to the Baha'i Faith. I am not warmly thanking you, though. I couldn't as long as you treat my Baha'i loved ones in Iran with such animalistic vehemence. You cannot hurt this Great Cause. The worse you could do is to create another Martyr in the name of Baha'u'llah. For each Martyr, their are thousands that find the truth of Baha'u'llah. For each law passed to cause Baha'is harm, more people become aware of the atrocities that have been set on the Friends.

I pray for all the detractors to see the Truth. I pray for all attackers to become quickened with the Love of God.

Mick

I teach the Baha'i Faith on the Internet and I offer a couple of Baha'i sites as a starting point for the seekers. I also suggest that they can Google Baha'i and come up with thousands of Baha'i sites to aid them with their search. I do warn them that they will also find sites of detractors and attackers that will try to disguise themselves as believers. I finally tell them that they will recognize these sites when they see them, simply because we will recognize the work of God from its fruits and those that are not from the bitter taste they leave.

I do not mention any sites by name. Nor do I denigrate any other beliefs or thoughts to these seekers. I let them make their own decisions. I would like to thank you for your site. It lets the world know how mean spirited many of the Irani's are to the Baha'i Faith. I am not warmly thanking you, though. I couldn't as long as you treat my Baha'i loved ones in Iran with such animalistic vehemence. You cannot hurt this Great Cause. The worse you could do is to create another Martyr in the name of Baha'u'llah. For each Martyr, their are thousands that find the truth of Baha'u'llah. For each law passed to cause Baha'is harm, more people become aware of the atrocities that have been set on the Friends.

I pray for all the detractors to see the Truth. I pray for all attackers to become quickened with the Love of God.

Mick

Thanks Mick:

Despite being a world religion and one which claims to be the fulfilment of the previous religions, why the Bahais concerned only about the state of Bahais? You should be equally concerned about atrocities against Muslims as well as Christians. I dont find the bahai web sites condeming these events.

The Bahais believe in the 12 Shiite Imams, right? Why dont they speak up against the atrocities against the Shiites in Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon etc etc.

They talk about the desecration of the Bahai House in Tehran. Why are they silent about the bombing of the Shrines of the 10th and 11th Imam in Samarrah? Or of the bombings of the shrines in Karbala and Najaf - all of which are shrines of the Imams which Bab and Bahaullah believed in.

In all such cases, or for that matter, about the state of the Palestinians and more recently of Lebanon.

I could simply cut and paste the last para which you have written and turn it over to you.

My web site as I have mentioned is about belief and concepts. Not martyrs. Belief requires questioning. And answers. Some of which may not be palatable. Some to me. Some to you.

Warm regards, as always
Imran

Mick

Thanks Mick:

Despite being a world religion and one which claims to be the fulfilment of the previous religions, why the Bahais concerned only about the state of Bahais? You should be equally concerned about atrocities against Muslims as well as Christians. I dont find the bahai web sites condeming these events.

The Bahais believe in the 12 Shiite Imams, right? Why dont they speak up against the atrocities against the Shiites in Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon etc etc.

They talk about the desecration of the Bahai House in Tehran. Why are they silent about the bombing of the Shrines of the 10th and 11th Imam in Samarrah? Or of the bombings of the shrines in Karbala and Najaf - all of which are shrines of the Imams which Bab and Bahaullah believed in.

In all such cases, or for that matter, about the state of the Palestinians and more recently of Lebanon.

I could simply cut and paste the last para which you have written and turn it over to you.

My web site as I have mentioned is about belief and concepts. Not martyrs. Belief requires questioning. And answers. Some of which may not be palatable. Some to me. Some to you.

Warm regards, as always
Imran

Thanks Mick:

Warm regards, as always
Imran

Every ninteen days at Feast, the Baha'is recieve a letter from the Universal House of Justice, the letter speaks of the atrocities towards people of all faiths either directly or indirectly.

Thanks Mick:

Warm regards, as always
Imran

Every 19 days Baha'is around the world get a letter from the Universal House of Justice. The letter mentions about the atrocities against peoples of all faiths, either directly or indirectly.

The reason is because Baha'is withdraw from political association. You can't change the bad part of politics unless you get involved, didn't Bahaullah realise this? Maybe it was a tactic for the survival of the faith. It's unfortunate because Baha'is would have made good political activists. Not helping the victims of politics is like saying the vicitms are to blame and takes away the beauty of social equality that is found in other religions.

The reason is because Baha'is withdraw from political association. You can't change the bad part of politics unless you get involved, didn't Bahaullah realise this? Maybe it was a tactic for the survival of the faith. It's unfortunate because Baha'is would have made good political activists. Not helping the victims of politics is like saying the vicitms are to blame and takes away the beauty of social equality that is found in other religions.

Hello Postmaster!

Thanks for your post. I gather you feel that Baha'is should be involved in partisan politics... this is an area that divides many people today and is a source of rancour and antipathy that is well known. We Baha'is have adopted the principle of non-involvement where it comes to partisan politics...

Serving in government and aiding people however is something Bhaa'is can do as long as it isn't partisan. We have had a few Baha'i judges and some have served on government commissions to address issues of poverty, crime and other pressing issues in society so we are not blind to the needs of people. Also there are numerous educational and social developement projects that Baha'is are involved in around the world.

- Art

Nah I really can't agree. Politics is the glue of society only divided on issues.

Nah I really can't agree. Politics is the glue of society only divided on issues.

I'm not sure what you disagree with but you are of course entitled to do what if you wish. All I can do here is try to explain our principle of non-involvement in partisan politics.

Actually in the United States religious organizations can lose their tax exempt status if they become too partisan so the principle isn't really unknown.

It's just that for us Baha'is we are not to belong to partisan political entities. So when I register to vote I am always non-partisan. I may vote anyway I please in the secrecy of the ballot of course.

- Art

I just can't understand why Baha’is can’t be partisan when countries run on them, it's been like that since Mesopotamia.

It's like some religious people choose not to have children and lead a celibate life. But they are withdrawing from gods will and obligation in doing so. Mystics usually prefer celibacy, preferred to prophetic vision and progress.

Non-partisanship a better way.

I just can't understand why Baha’is can’t be partisan when countries run on them, it's been like that since Mesopotamia.

It's like some religious people choose not to have children and lead a celibate life. But they are withdrawing from gods will and obligation in doing so. Mystics usually prefer celibacy, preferred to prophetic vision and progress.

One of the basic reasons Postmaster that you should know is that partisanship divides people into polarized groups and what the Baha'i Faith is about is uniting them not causing more divisions.

There are ways to meet peoples needs today without political partisanship and confrontations. The bitterness of partisanship divides families and can also cause religious groups to split. Baha'is have found ways to work together in peace so why wish partisanship on us?

- Art

Irman asked above:

My reply:

I think it's interesting Imran that you of all people should ask this since you live in country that has been oppressing Baha'is... for a long time now. Will you call attention to the plight of Baha'is in Iran? I think not. Only Baha'is have been doing this because we are a minority in the Middle East and are considered "illegal" in your own country!

Can Baha'is practise their faith in Iran and have Baha'i marriages? and go on pilgrimages to Baha'i Holy Places there?

First return our properties and provide restitution. Abide by the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights and work for the rights of your own citizens is my advice.

- Art

There are ways to meet peoples needs today without political partisanship and confrontations. The bitterness of partisanship divides families and can also cause religious groups to split. Baha'is have found ways to work together in peace so why wish partisanship on us?

If you were to create a Baha'i political party then maybe you can do things differently. I think that Baha'is could be missing out on alot of important and needed influence of society by staying clear from partisan. Baha'u'llah was born in a time of oppressive Persian and Ottoman rule but today especially in the west we live in an effective democratic and secular system. We even have environment friendly parties. If there can never be a Baha'i president then were just going to be going round in vicious circles.

Back