History of religion animation

thanks Promethium :)

It's interesting to me, in that it shows how each was for the most part confined regionally. And from a Baha'i perspective this is due to the means available at the time to allow each to spread. And despite all obstacles, it also shows how God's Word has touched every part of the globe through one source or another.

11:9 They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.
(King James Bible, Isaiah)

I know it is not fully accurate as some religions aren't depicted. But to me it shows a nice glimpse of how God's Will is unfolding progressively. One Common Faith, though few have understood.....yet. ;)

I would love to see an update including the Baha'i Faith now. :)

It looked for a while that Islam would be the predominate religion up until a few centuries ago, after the dark ages when Christianity expanded throughout the world and the new world. It is also amazing that Judaism has survived. I mean, look at the minute influence that Judaism seems to have according to the map.

It looked for a while that Islam would be the predominate religion up until a few centuries ago, after the dark ages when Christianity expanded throughout the world and the new world. It is also amazing that Judaism has survived. I mean, look at the minute influence that Judaism seems to have according to the map.
To me it shows the ebb and flow of thought/religions. It is also intersting how the entire new world, populated by Europeans...they brought their religion...but now according to the studies of the last 50 years worldwide Christianity is slipping and Islam is growing again..

And while you indicate correctly that Judaism is a very small percentage worldwide....two things of interest to me. Without Judaism as a basis we have to wonder where all that blue and green for Christianity and Islam would be. Secondly, look at the number of members of the US congress and world wide political systems, the numbers of Nobel Prize winners, the numbers of Scientists, Doctors, Lawyers, Film and TV directors, writers and actors. Not a negative, an interesting fact that Jews are disprortiionately represented amongst the movers and shakers of our world. Small in number but not in influence.

So while that purple is but a blip on the map....its influence is far from minute, yes?

To me it shows the ebb and flow of thought/religions. It is also intersting how the entire new world, populated by Europeans...they brought their religion...but now according to the studies of the last 50 years worldwide Christianity is slipping and Islam is growing again..

And while you indicate correctly that Judaism is a very small percentage worldwide....two things of interest to me. Without Judaism as a basis we have to wonder where all that blue and green for Christianity and Islam would be. Secondly, look at the number of members of the US congress and world wide political systems, the numbers of Nobel Prize winners, the numbers of Scientists, Doctors, Lawyers, Film and TV directors, writers and actors. Not a negative, an interesting fact that Jews are disprortiionately represented amongst the movers and shakers of our world. Small in number but not in influence.

So while that purple is but a blip on the map....its influence is far from minute, yes?

Agreed. What are they doing right?

I see that Zoroastrianism is not mentioned at all on the map. Interesting since it's origins are contemporaneous with Vedic Hinduism.

I see that Zoroastrianism is not mentioned at all on the map. Interesting since it's origins are contemporaneous with Vedic Hinduism.
There are a lot of religions that are not on the map. And while to some it is apparent that Zoroastrianism has had a large influence on the world by influencing Abrahamic Religions...to others they look at the actual Zoroastrian influence today.

It appears they number between 150-200,000...I can't find an estimate from the past other than it was the majority religion in Persia until they converted to Islam..and the many/most Zoroasters left moved to India?

Wil,

There are still Zoroastrians in Iran. Those who moved during the influx of Islam became the Parsis of India but not all moved and not all converted. Today there are around 45, 000 still in Iran, those in India around the 100,000 mark.

All up, there are probably around the 200,000 mark world-wide.

Wil,

There are still Zoroastrians in Iran. Those who moved during the influx of Islam became the Parsis of India but not all moved and not all converted. Today there are around 45, 000 still in Iran, those in India around the 100,000 mark.

All up, there are probably around the 200,000 mark world-wide.
About similar to what I read...any info as to how many followers while it was thriving?

Oops interesting this site claims 2.6 million!

From the site:

Until about 2002, most published estimates for the world total of Zoroastrians were 100 to 125 thousand. More recent publications of many major encyclopedias an world alamanacs include population estimates of 2 to 3.5 million. The government of India has actively encouraged the growth of its Zoroastrian population. Since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 and subsequent U.S.-led intervention in the Middle East, the Parsees of Iran, Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan have been receiving less persecution than before, and have been less reticent about identifying themselves, and there seems to be an increased respect for and interest in this classical Persian religion which was once one of the largest in the world. The current estimate posted on this page of millions of Zoroastrians in the world (rather than 100,000 to 150,000) is still under evaluation. The number does not represent an exponential explosion the number of actual Zoroastrians (although there has been some growth in numbers), but is a result of re-evaluation of the existing population

Back