A Theosophist in Southern California

Nick the Pilot

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I am a Theosophist in Southern California. I am an airline pilot, and I fly in and out of San Diego everyday.

I used to live in Japan, where I taught English to Japanese people. I also learned to speak Japanese at that time, as well as picking up a love for the game called Go.

I grew up a Catholic, and went to a Catholic high school. However, I soon decided that Christianity did not work for me. The day I graduated from high school was the day I quit the church.

It is important to me that my belief system make sense, and I spent years trying to find something that works for me. I checked out many different religions, but I never found exactly what I was looking for. Then, one day, I found exactly what I was looking for. I am fortunate in that I found something that works for me, and I strongly advise people not to settle for a religion that is "OK", but that each of us strive to have a belief system that makes 100% sense. In my opinion, there can be no compromise in this area.

I strongly believe in religious pluralism. There are different kinds of people, so we need to have different kinds of religion. A tolerance of each other's religion is the first requirement to having meaningful interfaith discussions.

Greetings, Nick! And Welcome to CR!!! :)

Glad to have someone else with a Theosophical background! I'm across the states from you (NC), but my story is very similar. Grew up Lutheran, and went so far as Confirmation, but I lost interest after that.

For me there was a growing curiosity during my teen years, and when I was about 17 I discovered Theosophy. I worked after-school at Guilford College Library, which has a Quaker (Society of Friends) background, and I was involved with Interlibrary Loan. The book that started it all for me was Being Peace, by Thich Nhat Hanh, a Vietnamese Zen Buddhist monk.

In shelving that, and similar books, I found myself browsing the section of Theosophical titles (and reading attentively!) ... and the rest is history! :)

I agree with you, very much, regarding the need to follow a path that makes sense, that speaks to one from within. For me, this was Theosophy, and I was a member of the TSA for several years around 1990. I have participated in several study and meditation groups in the Theosophical tradition, and began volunteering as an outgrowth of that during my college years.

There's a thread on Interfaith that just started the other day here at CR; I'll hotlink it, so you can take a look, if you haven't already: What Does Interfaith Mean to You?

Love and Light,

~zagreus (andrew)

Welcome, Nick the Pilot! :)

I agree with you regarding the wisdom of understanding as much as we can about what we believe. And I love finding out about the beliefs of others, as well. And the more I learn about others, the more I learn about myself and how I view the Source of All Being. But I am also comfortable for now with the idea, as I heard it expressed recently in "A River Runs Through It": The narrator said something like, "We can love completely without complete understanding". I think that is important for now, because that is all I know until I know it all! ;)

So glad to make your acquaintance and look forward to your input. I know Andrew does! (How 'bout that, Zag? Things really are looking up, aren't they? :)).

InPeace,
InLove

Welcome, Nick!

I know you'll find many stimulating discussions here.:)

Best Regards,
Mark

Hi Nick

Welcome to CR. I would love to hear more about Theosophy, Anthroposophy, and maybe even the related happenings in South America right now with the teacher known as Trigueirinho, if you have heard of him that is.

Peace
Mark

I am an airline pilot, and I fly in and out of San Diego everyday.
Namaste and welcome Nick,

As I understand it 90% of the commercial pilots started out in the service...you too?

My dad was a pilot in the Army. He told me if I didn't go to school I'd end up a pilot to. They told him to dig a hole and pilot over there. Unload that truck and pilot over here. Move that stack of shells and pilot in the bunker.

Welcome brother Nick.

Since you're a pilot you've got a jump start on most of us since you're halfway to heaven everyday that you go to work.

Have fun here and remember not to take any of us very seriously...even though... WE ARE VERY SERIOUS !!!!! *loud laughing is heard offstage*

flow....:p

Andrew,

You said,

"... and the rest is history! "

--> What Theosophical paths have you followed recently? Have you given up your Theosophical membership?

I'll take a look at that Interfaith thread.

In,

Nice to meet you!

Prober,

Thanks for the greeting.

Paladin,

What have you heard about Theosophy? I have not heard of Trigueirinho. Who is he?

Luna,

Thanks for the welcome.

Wil,

Actually, many airline pilots are now coming from the civilian ranks, just as I did.

Flow,

As a matter fact, I have often thought to myself (when I am up at 7,000 feet) that I have indeed escaped Earth, if only for a short while. (But I always seem to eventually come back!) Tommorow, I can look out at 7,000 feet and say "I'm here, and Flowperson isn't!"

Paladin,

You said,

"I would love to hear more about Theosophy, Anthroposophy...."

--> The beginning ideas are karma, reincarnation, enlightenment, and nirvana. How do these ideas fit into your belief system?

Flow,

If you astral-travel up to my airplane at 7,000 feet tomorrow, maybe we can do a little dance together.

dance.gif

Yo,

Thanks for the welcome. I hope to hear your additions to our Theosophical discussion, which is now taking place elsewhere.

Any landing where you survive is a good landing. Any landing where they can use the airplane again is a great landing. (I had a "great" landing tonight, even if I did overshoot the taxiway-exit a tiny bit....)

Paladin,

You said,

"I would love to hear more about Theosophy, Anthroposophy...."

--> The beginning ideas are karma, reincarnation, enlightenment, and nirvana. How do these ideas fit into your belief system?

Actually quite well, thank you :)

I have read a little of Rudolph Steiner, and HP Blavatsky and am currently studying esoteric Christianity with someone ordained by the Sancta Sophia seminary. Carol Parrish I believe has some ties to the Theosophical movement as well as to a teacher in Brazil named in my last post. Seems interesting how they all tie together.

Peace
Mark

Welcome to CR. There's much in Theosophical thinking I would agree with being inclined toward the contemplative/mystical end of religion as opposed to dogma per se, (i.e., might say I'm a "neo-gnostic"). Mark, love to know more about Sancta Sophia-never heard of them. Also what about that teacher? Never heard of him either. take care all, earl

Paladin-san!

How do karma, reincarnation, enlightenment, and nirvana fit into esoteric Christianity?

Hi Nick,

Not sure yet whether they fit into esoteric Christianity, but my personal belief system, if you can call it that, embraces these ideas.
I used to joke that " I don't believe in reincarnation...well.. I used to but that was in a past life" :)

Peace
Mark

Welcome to CR. There's much in Theosophical thinking I would agree with being inclined toward the contemplative/mystical end of religion as opposed to dogma per se, (i.e., might say I'm a "neo-gnostic"). Mark, love to know more about Sancta Sophia-never heard of them. Also what about that teacher? Never heard of him either. take care all, earl

Always good to see you {{Earl}}
The Sancta Sophia Seminary site is here: Welcome to Sancta Sophia Seminary
Hopefully it is still allowed to post links like this.

Peace
Mark

Earl,

Thanks for the welcome.

Paladin,

I cannot imagine how any form of Chrisitianity, even an esoteric one, can absorb the idea of karma and reincarnation, since both concepts fly right in the face of the idea of the forgiveness of sins. If you can see a connection, please let me know.

Everyone,

I see there is an interest in various Theosophical concepts. I have started a new thread for the discussion of all these concepts. Feel free to join me at

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/theosophical-concepts-6615.html

I would love to see how any of the long list of Theosophical concepts do or do not fit into anyone's belief system.

Back