2007 Lenten Season

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Shoulda posted yesterday or before....

Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday....while still fun its lost its flavor excess and debauchery in preparation for fasting...funny how we grow out of things.

Lent has changed as well. For me the old making it through 40 days without something...and then going right back to it just doesn't make sense.

Today I use it as a spring board for personal growth. Utilize the 40 days to give up some negative aspect or negative thinking with the goal of leaving it behind forever...

Go through 40 days of the Paul, 'I die daily' on some subject so at the other end we can resurrect the new me and not have to carry that cross any longer...

So tis judgement on the top of the list this year for me....how about you?

Starting a thread and replying....oh well...

I'm not much on order...something I definitely need to work on. One of the reasons I like Lent. The program I play with during this season, has a three different readings, a couple of questions to ponder, and one or two scripture pieces to contemplate each day. 40 days of order that isn't normal for me.

I had to share two of the many interesting things in the readings today.
In every time zone on the planet, followers of Jesus Christ take time to pray and meditate on the meaning of His life, teachings, death, and resurrection experience. Reflecting on these profound events in sacred histroy, people of widely differing Christian traditions will recall the work Jesus did whie He walked the earth, and many will examine their lives during this Lenten season to see if they are acutally following the way of Jesus.
And the rememberances of a child when his Sunday school teacher told him he could give up something he didn't want for Lent!
More than giving up the negatives I realized I could give up NOT DOING the positives. So, I wrote a nice 'thank you' poem for Grandma Quell. I did the dishes. I took out the garbage. I even cleaned off my study desk at home.
So to add to giving up my negative judgement...I'm going give up NOT BEING more orderly in my life. I'm going to work on giving up one negative, and give up NOT DOING one positive.

First day...whatta blast!

Gotta love it. (yes, I'm gonna turn 50 this year and little things still make me giddy!)

Hi wil--

Not sure we'll ever outgrow the fun of Fat Tuesday. To everything there is a season. :)

But you know that if there is symbolism to be found in anything, I'm there studying. I understand that there is substantial significance in the change of season these days for my close neighbors across the Sabine, as well as the many former residents in my area who have migrated west never to return.

In the denominational tradition from which I come, not much emphasis is usually placed on the liturgical seasons except for Christmas and Easter. But I personally find them spiritually enlightening and practical. I also find that the season changes sometimes take me by surprise, since I was not raised in that environment. What I find awesome is that I was already spiritually and physically in the process of preparing for Lent without even realizing it! synchronicity :)

Without going into a lot of detail, I'll just say that I am focusing on letting go, first and foremost, of that part of my "self" that keeps me from loving more completely. That should help eliminate many misguided or misinformed judgements on my part. :)

InPeace,
InLove

2 cool love....

No the revelry and parades and fun of Fat Tuesday still draw me.

It is still on my list of goals to hit Venice and Rio some year. Any excuse to party is ok with me...it is just the concept like New Years...gonna hit it tonight because tomorrow I start my resolution...that concept no longer resonates...

such a fuddy duddy I is sometimes...

I, for one, do not celebrate Lent. I do not see the logic in a self-imposed period of abstinance and reflection only to emerge back into the state one was before embarking in such a religious observance. If we are to live for Christ, it ought to be all year round.

I see the 40-day fasting in scriptures as periods in preparation for ministry, as seen in Moses', Elijah's, and Jesus' fasts. In each case, God prepares the heart for a specific mission. Even jesus told his disciples that they could not perform certain miraccles except by prayer and fasting. If I were to be called of God to perform some task that He purposed for me, it would be proper for me to pray and fast for the purpose of preparing my heart. Maybe not for 40 days, but for a period of time where God can touch me spiritually and work in me to effect His Will.

Isaiah 58 is a good chapter about the purposes of fasting:

"Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy reward.
Then shalt thou call, and the LORD shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am. If thou take away from the midst of thee the yoke, the putting forth of the finger, and speaking vanity;
And if thou draw out thy soul to the hungry, and satisfy the afflicted soul; then shall thy light rise in obscurity, and thy darkness be as the noon day:
And the LORD shall guide thee continually, and satisfy thy soul in drought, and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not. And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in." - Isaiah 58:5-12

There is something powerfully spiritual about fasting, when done with the proper attitude and purpose.

Dondi said:
There is something powerfully spiritual about fasting, when done with the proper attitude and purpose.

I would add that it is also fitting to remember the lessons that come from any specific season of meditative prayer and fasting for a ministerial purpose. This can keep us from chasing our tails. :)

InPeace,
InLove

I don't celebrate Lent either, but I'll usually give something up just to comiserate with my Catholic friends.:)

I do enjoy fasting. I used to fast once a week, but I've gotten out of the habit. I observe Ramadan every year as well, although I do better some years than others.

I find fasting really clears the mind and (especially during Ramadan) makes me aware that if G-d were to withdraw His blessings for even a short period, I'd be a goner!

Celebrate Lent...

I'm wondering if I celebrate or participate....

I rather enjoy the contemplations in preparation for Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter...

The challenge of giving up negative thoughts and judgement is nothing short of daunting.

There were a number of folks who participated yesterday (Ash Wednesday) by opening the season with a day long retreat. I showed up at the end to participate in some meditation, walking the labyrinth, a burning bowl ceremony and Dances of Universal Peace.

Those who were there for the day expressed their enjoyment...I think they were quite celebratory about it...I was glad to have had the opportunity to participate in part of it.

I've also found a gal who is posting info in her blog regarding her Lenten readings...

Back