Any Atheist here?

S

Silas

I am trying to put myself in the mind of a person who does not believe in God and so I'd like some help from the atheist, please. Would you answer the following questions, please?

What makes you get up on morning?

Why are you still living?

It is just as easy that you may die at any time, what keeps you alive?

Hi Silas,

I might suggest the Comparative Religions board for this topic. Would you like a mod to move it for you?

luna

I am trying to put myself in the mind of a person who does not believe in God and so I'd like some help from the atheist, please. Would you answer the following questions, please?

On the chance you are being sincere, I will once again post the links to the threads you have ignored already that would give you a much deeper insight and answers to your question.

That is...unless you are simply trolling for more people to preach at. If you are genuinely interested in dialogue, these threads will help. If you are looking for suckers to trounce upon...what's the old saying? Give 'em enough rope and let them hang themselves.

May I remind, you have already drawn attention from Brian. ;)

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/the-relation-of-atheism-to-6109.html

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/knowledge-of-good-and-evil-4895.html

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/is-atheism-a-religion-5092.html

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/which-is-more-important-4506.html

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/the-advantage-of-being-an-5967.html

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/greatest-proof-of-a-lack-598.html

http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/juantoo3s-comments-in-proofs-for-3481.html

Silas,

I am also not a monotheist, although I am a Theosophist and not an Atheist. I think we have much in common.

There are two groups that everyone knows.

(1) Darwinian
(2) Creationist

I would add a group to this that people have never heard of.

(3) Emanationist

...which is what I am.

Do you see yourself as a non-Darwinian?

~~~

Perhaps we could discuss what we have in commmon.

It is a good idea to move this thread to another area of the Forum. Is there an Atheist or Humanist Section?

My stupid alarm clock....

Because I will live till I die...

Uhm.... Read a book on biology... But, yeah I may die at any time... I couldn't care less... I have to die sometime... What is the point in fearing something that has to happen? *whiney voice* oooh I am going to die boo freaking hoo... I refuse to live in a fantasy land that tries in a lame way to pull the wool over my eyes... I shall die and rot, as will you.

Hi,

I don’t see that anyone is trying to get into another mind set at all, it’s just a rhetorical question methinks. Not as an atheist but as a sucker for a good trolling, the correct answers are presumably along the lines of:

1. I don’t know; I now realise that my existence is pointless.

2. Well I was happy but now that I realise the meaninglessness of my existence I think I’ll just end it all.

3. The simple act of breathing in and out, but now I’m going to put a bag over my head.

Any other answers are of course dishonest.

s.

I would add a group to this that people have never heard of.

(3) Emanationist

...which is what I am.

Hi,

Well I haven't heard of this for sure. A cursory glance at Wiki makes me wonder how much one could have in common with Silas as it seems to deny the possibility of a Supreme Being. No doubt I'm not understanding this:p ; why not start a thread on it?

s.

Silas, why don't you try to answer those questions for yourself.
Say, put yourself in the shoes of an atheist, with the same life you have now, you just don't believe in god and/or your chosen religion.

That would make a more interesting starter for this thread:)

I tried to be an Atheist once, but I found that I could not NOT believe in God. (Even for a second) I imagine Atheist are the same way, they simply cannot believe. Perhaps thier minds are hard wired differently? Not that I think it matters either way. In my minds eye, I see a bridge connecting all people to God with or w/o a literal belief in a creator.

James

I tried to be an Atheist once

Hi,

Why did you try? (Don't our beliefs mature in a sort of natural, organic way, not open to being forced - by ourselves or anyone else?)

s.

I'm not sure. :) I did try, but it didn't work. Perhaps I was angry with God or who I viewed him to be at the time, and "wanted" to deny him altogether. He wouldn't allow that, and for that I am thankful. I think we come to our realizations in our own time, and that we are influenced by many things.

Faith, belief, hope none of these can be forced, but the influence of those who have them can be a great asset in finding one's own path.

James

Snoopy,

Emanationism is a word I made up that describes the origin of the universe as taught in Theosophy. Emanationism is half-way between Creationism and Darwinism.

I may start a thread on Emanationism if there is more interest. Here is the quick-and-dirty of it.

Emanationism is the belief in a guiding principle for the universe, but not an Almighty God. Emanationism also rejects the idea of a universe created in only a few thousand years, but sees a line of universes being created in billions and trillions of years.

Emanationism sees the appearance of our universe as more than a random conbination of atoms. Atoms, when left to themselves, go into a state of entropy. The universe seems to be going in an opposite direction.

“The aim of [Emanationism] may be thus stated: to show that Nature is not a ‘fortuitous concurrence of atoms,’ and to assign to man his righful place in the scheme of the Universe; to rescue from degradation the archaic truths which are the basis of all religions; and to uncover, to some extent, the fundamental unity from which they all spring; finally, to show that the [hidden] side of Nature has never been approached by the Science of modern civilization.”

— Madame Blavatsky

~~~

I now return this hijacked thread to its owner....

Silas,

Do you describe yourself as a Darwinian?

Fundy Declared Lost In Comparative Studies Forum​

Sorry guys, I had forgot that I posted this. I spoke to some other athesist and got the answers I was looking for. Thanks for your willingness to help though!

God Bless,

Silas

Namaste Silas,

thank you for the post.

Silas said:

i'll presume that you are referring to a Creator Deity and proceed from there. please let me know if my assumption is incorrect.

usually a full bladder.

if you are asking what is my motivation for continuing to arise and engage in the activities of life i would say that belief in a god has no bearing on this whatsoever. i find motivation to arise and engage in life activies based upon my own understanding of the Buddha Dharma and what it means to put the teachings into practice.

my karmic energy has not been expended for this arising yet. when it does, this arising will cease.

death is the fate of all living beings, just like being born and there is equally no reason to fear it. as i explained, when my karmic energy is expended this being will cease to arise.

i'm happy to elaborate if you'd like :)

metta,

~v

Hi,

A full bladder and karmic energy within one post. There's erudition for you:p

s.

Back