Services of Worship.

Susanna

Reaction score
I would like to ask a question to those of different religions, Islam and Catholocism (can't think of any others), as a Jew, when I go to Synagogue service, all of our services are conducted in Hebrew with very little English involved, I would like to ask, in Islam, are all your services conducted in Arabic? or are they conducted in both Arabic and the language of the Country you reside in? Also, in Catholocism, are all your services conducted in Latin, and do you have to study and learn Latin as part of your religion?

I hope you don't mind me asking these questions, thanks.

In my experience there exist services for each and all. There are Mosques that have both services in Arabic and in English...even in the all English ones there are standard prayers and responses in Arabic.

Same applies for Catholic masses, there are some that are English and some that are Latin. It seems to me depending on the diocess and neighborhood the number and variety of each services (ie some have more than one Latin service)

Also the Synagogues I have attended...I've yet to be in one that the entire service has been in Hebrew, but the amount of Hebrew has varied, sometime just restricted to songs, some prayers, like Kiddush.

I'm just guessing but I would think that would be the same all over the world, ie services would vary in extent pretty much depending on orthodoxy how much was the language of the religion and how much was in the language of the local speakers...

Wil,

Thankyou for your reply to me, I wondered whether people thought that maintaining their language in their place of worship was something which strengthened their communities, and do people fear that their methods are becoming lost to more modern forms of prayer with less of, Latin, Arabic and Hebrew used in the communities? It's great to know that people still maintain a tradition in which, if you decided to visit another Country and you could not speak the language of that Country, at least, if you go to your place of worship in that Country, you could still follow the service in either Latin, Arabic or Hebrew.

I'm just reflecting on Yom Kippur last year, we had this French lad come and stay and he could hardly speak much English and so conversation was a bit strained, but you know, as soon as he picked up the Machzor (our prayer book), he felt so relaxed, because, although he could not follow the English translations, he could speak Biblical Hebrew fluently and he could follow the service really well.

I would like to ask a question to those of different religions, Islam and Catholocism (can't think of any others), as a Jew, when I go to Synagogue service, all of our services are conducted in Hebrew with very little English involved, I would like to ask, in Islam, are all your services conducted in Arabic? or are they conducted in both Arabic and the language of the Country you reside in? Also, in Catholocism, are all your services conducted in Latin, and do you have to study and learn Latin as part of your religion?

I hope you don't mind me asking these questions, thanks.

Hello Susana

I am happy that you ask these questions and hope my answers help you a little.

In the Mosque we have the five daily prayers, which are always and exclusively in Arabic.

On friday we have additiomally, Jummah prayers before which a Kutbah or sermon is delivered by the Iman, this is usually in Arabic and the language of those using The Mosque. Some Mosques will also repeat the Kutbah in the language of the Country or another language which a number of the congregation use. Again all prayers are in Arabic.

My Mosque has the Kutbah in Arabic, Urdu and English on most fridays, but other Mosques I attend have the Kutbah in Arabic and another language, usually related to the ethnic origin of the congregation.

I hope this helps, if you have any follow up questions please feel free to ask.

Peace

Wil,

Thankyou for your reply to me, I wondered whether people thought that maintaining their language in their place of worship was something which strengthened their communities, and do people fear that their methods are becoming lost to more modern forms of prayer with less of, Latin, Arabic and Hebrew used in the communities? It's great to know that people still maintain a tradition in which, if you decided to visit another Country and you could not speak the language of that Country, at least, if you go to your place of worship in that Country, you could still follow the service in either Latin, Arabic or Hebrew.

I'm just reflecting on Yom Kippur last year, we had this French lad come and stay and he could hardly speak much English and so conversation was a bit strained, but you know, as soon as he picked up the Machzor (our prayer book), he felt so relaxed, because, although he could not follow the English translations, he could speak Biblical Hebrew fluently and he could follow the service really well.

Hi Susanna

I have visited Countries where I have only a few words of the language but always find it a comfort when I attend Mosque and pray the same prayers that I pray at home and that millions of men and women are praying that same day.

Peace

Hello. Shalom/Peace.

Yes, all the prayers (salats) are performed in Arabic language. The only time the native language is used in the worship service is during khutba (the speach) an imam usually gives after the Friday prayer. In some countries (Middle East) the khutba may be practiced more often. The khutba provides the community to gather and discuss the community issues, an imam/hafiz may give preaching on islamic religious concepts or similar.

Back