What Book Have You Read Recently?

Discussion in 'Media' started by Snoopy, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine Junior Moderator, Intro Staff Member

I just read a blog post that is relevant to several situations, not just the sexual assault and subsequent trial that basically got the blogger a tad :mad:.

http://johnpavlovitz.com/2016/06/06/to-brock-turners-father-from-another-father/

There's a link to his subsequent blog post that speaks volumes about how "in the moment" the media seems to have become, which is a shame since such violence won't go away just because it's "yesterday's news".

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

2. Thomas

Thomas Super Moderator Staff Member

Just purchased "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics' and, 'The First Scientist, Anaximander and his Legacy' by Carlo Rovelli. Mr A has been something of a favourite of mine ...

3. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu and The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe (by candlelight with some of my neighbors for Halloween.) It was better than spending money to attend the seance for Harry Houdini (but not much.) I wish several of the neighbors stayed away.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    Namaste Jesus likes this.
  4. Devils' Advocate

Devils' Advocate Well-Known Member

Have always had a fascination with extinction events thru-out the history of the planet and have read several books on this subject. Most are about the meteor that killed the dinosaurs, but that was a pinprick compared to the End Permian extinction event which decimated 96% of all life on the planet! On this subject I am currently reading:

Michael Benton. When Life Nearly Died: The Greatest Mass Extinction of All Time.

Fascinating stuff.

5. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Julie of the Wolves by Jane Craighead George and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austin and Seth Grahame-Smith.

At least I'm limiting myself to two books this time...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

6. Nicholas Weeks

Nicholas Weeks Bodhicitta

Sri M's first volume of his autobiography is sterling and full of insights into the life and doings of Indian Sages.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10125596-apprenticed-to-a-himalayan-master

Another uplifting spiritual biography is that of Sri Dada Sanghita, a little known, quiet Sage who was the Guru of Hari Prasad Shastri.

It is titled The Heart of Eastern Mystical Teaching, Shanti Sadan 1948, written by HP Shastri.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I just picked up Monsters In Our Midst, edited by Robert Bloch (sounded kinda interesting, but I'll withhold further judgement until later.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

8. wil

wil UNeyeR1

Working on Walden

9. Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I just finished Eleanor Coerr's book, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes.

It was heart-rending "watching" the decline of an energetic girl because she suffered from the aftereffects of the (infamous) bombing of Hiroshima [radiation poisoning.] I mean, going from a child who pretty much went from running around like healthy kids do to being unable to even sit up by herself...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

10. bellawatson492

bellawatson492 New Member

I recently read Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe