What Book Have You Read Recently?

I just read a blog post that is relevant to several situations, not just the sexual assault and subsequent trial that basically got the blogger a tad :mad:.

http://johnpavlovitz.com/2016/06/06/to-brock-turners-father-from-another-father/

There's a link to his subsequent blog post that speaks volumes about how "in the moment" the media seems to have become, which is a shame since such violence won't go away just because it's "yesterday's news".

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Just purchased "Seven Brief Lessons on Physics' and, 'The First Scientist, Anaximander and his Legacy' by Carlo Rovelli. Mr A has been something of a favourite of mine ...

Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan le Fanu and The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe (by candlelight with some of my neighbors for Halloween.) It was better than spending money to attend the seance for Harry Houdini (but not much.) I wish several of the neighbors stayed away.

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Last edited:
Have always had a fascination with extinction events thru-out the history of the planet and have read several books on this subject. Most are about the meteor that killed the dinosaurs, but that was a pinprick compared to the End Permian extinction event which decimated 96% of all life on the planet! On this subject I am currently reading:

Michael Benton. When Life Nearly Died: The Greatest Mass Extinction of All Time.

Fascinating stuff.

Julie of the Wolves by Jane Craighead George and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austin and Seth Grahame-Smith.

At least I'm limiting myself to two books this time...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

Sri M's first volume of his autobiography is sterling and full of insights into the life and doings of Indian Sages.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10125596-apprenticed-to-a-himalayan-master

Another uplifting spiritual biography is that of Sri Dada Sanghita, a little known, quiet Sage who was the Guru of Hari Prasad Shastri.

It is titled The Heart of Eastern Mystical Teaching, Shanti Sadan 1948, written by HP Shastri.

Last edited:
I just picked up Monsters In Our Midst, edited by Robert Bloch (sounded kinda interesting, but I'll withhold further judgement until later.)

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

I just finished Eleanor Coerr's book, Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes.

It was heart-rending "watching" the decline of an energetic girl because she suffered from the aftereffects of the (infamous) bombing of Hiroshima [radiation poisoning.] I mean, going from a child who pretty much went from running around like healthy kids do to being unable to even sit up by herself...

Phyllis Sidhe_Uaine

The Orthodox Study Bible and the M.M. Pickthall Quran translation and several short books on hadith. I still haven't finished them but I've been getting a lot out of them. I need to get up on my Buddhist studies too as I find buddhism very edifiying and helps me achieve inner peace.

Reactions: RJM
I've recently read "Why I meditate" by David Lane.
David Lane was a Devotee of Charan Singh Maharaj, the former spiritual head of the Rahda-Saomi lineage.
At some point in his life he(David) became non-theistic but still continues with the meditation he was taught.
My interest is because I also went through a similar path(regarding theism).

Here is a link as to what he says.

Last edited:
Back