The Price of the Call

S

Silas

A not-so-talked about promise of Jesus is that His people will have persecution. My question for the Liberal "Chrisitians" here is: If it comes down to your very life, could you witness for Jesus in places where people would take your life? Be honest, please!

-Silas

A not-so-talked about promise of Jesus is that His people will have persecution. My question for the Liberal "Chrisitians" here is: If it comes down to your very life, could you witness for Jesus in places where people would take your life? Be honest, please!

-Silas
As I was catching up I read some thread somewhere where someone posted, Christians invented martydom...well while I don't believe they invented it, they surely did take it to the next level. Going to the lions, while it amused the Romans, was much the same as the suicide bombers of Japan last century or the suicide bombers of this century...all gung ho for their special place with G-d. The promises were made...we'll gladly go to the promise land as we get the best rewards...

So in your version today...while we know our apostle of faith...our on this rock I build my church Peter...denied Jesus...what exactly is the scenario to which you are speaking Silas?

I appreciate the contemplation...I for one wouldn't be running to Iran to recruit Christians or tell Muslims they are going to hell... I'd be impressed if you were the same Silas out from behind the computer screen and over in the middle east...I'm not suggesting you go and do that...but I'd be impressed.

In this hypothetical situation you are asking of...does someone have a knife to your throat? your mother's? your wife's? your child's? And is asking you that if you deny Jesus as your saviour you and your family will be set free? Is that what you are asking us to answer? Or are you ready to get on a jet to go witness the gospel in Iran, Iraq or Afganistan? Is that what you are contemplating?

As I've asked before, please do tell us your opinion and identify exactly what you mean...so we may have a discussion on the matter.

Wow! This kind of responce surely wasnt anticipated. Umm...First, I just want to say that in Peter's case, his denial occured before he was actually a Christian. Christians are indwelled by the Holy Spirit of God and that didnt occure to Peter until the Pentacost. After that occured, however, we have record of Peter being brave and bold in witness; even unto his death. That said, I guess my question can refer to all the instances in which you gave as examples. Would you die for the Christ? That is, after all, the price of the call.

Silas...I'm siding with wil here, but I am denying the label of liberal that you fling about so liberally. I am a questioning Christian, and I would venture to say that there are more of us these days than those who seem to be so certain about what they believe.

You've made an astounding number of posts since December, so you must believe something profound. Don't go anywhere from behind your screen. Just answer wil's questions or these.

I'll make it simple...do you believe more in the benefits of life, or in the certainties of death ? And please justify your answer(s) without citing biblical passages. You write the English language as well as any here. Just use it plainly and clearly. Thanks.

flow....:)

wil said:
As I've asked before, please do tell us your opinion and identify exactly what you mean...so we may have a discussion on the matter.
Wow! This kind of responce surely wasnt anticipated. Umm...That said, I guess my question can refer to all the instances in which you gave as examples. Would you die for the Christ? That is, after all, the price of the call.

This is how discussions are done, two parts, this is what I think, what do you think?... this is what I'd do, what would you do?...or this is what I believe..thoughts?

You posed the question, please to provide your scenario, your line...which family members you'd allow to succumb to the knife in order to answer your call.

My answer is ready, just wanting to know "Who is asking?"

Flow

Silas...I'm siding with wil here, but I am denying the label of liberal that you fling about so liberally.

No disrespect, but I'm just calling it like I see it. You know, its whole "if it walks like a duck" thing.

I am a questioning Christian, and I would venture to say that there are more of us these days than those who seem to be so certain about what they believe.

That's nothing to be proud of. In fact, you should be afarid, since the Bible tells us that in the last days many will depart from the truth and adopt things they want to believe over sound doctrine.

You've made an astounding number of posts since December, so you must believe something profound. Don't go anywhere from behind your screen. Just answer wil's questions or these.

You've been paying close attention, obviously. Did anything I said make sense to you; especially concerning the gospel?

I'll make it simple...do you believe more in the benefits of life, or in the certainties of death ?

I'll answer that with scripture: "To live is Christ and to die is gain." In other words: Do what you were designed to live for, namely God's glory, and die well. Translation: This life is nothing. Its short. Its a passing breeze; here today and gone in an instant. Its not eternal and as a Christian, I am to live it to God's glory, not my own. The greatest joy of a Christian is to be a slave of His master. That's the only way anyone would ever be free.

And please justify your answer(s) without citing biblical passages. You write the English language as well as any here. Just use it plainly and clearly. Thanks.

Come on, that's tough for me! My whole world view is scripture, I cant seperate myself from the truth.

This is how discussions are done, two parts, this is what I think, what do you think?... this is what I'd do, what would you do?...or this is what I believe..thoughts?

You posed the question, please to provide your scenario, your line...which family members you'd allow to succumb to the knife in order to answer your call.

My answer is ready, just wanting to know "Who is asking?"

Oh, Ok. What I mean is would you die for Jesus if someone said to you, "deny Jesus and live or dont and die."

Hmmm...just me here bemused...evidently not making myself clear so....

A not-so-talked about promise of Jesus is that His people will have persecution. My question you is: Silas, if it comes down to your very life, could you witness for Jesus in places where people would take your life? Be honest, please!

I'd like to think I've died for Christ already, but you're talking about a physical death. I will answer this question with all the honesty that's in me, silas. I've faced death on a several occasions, and I fought for my life in every single one. I'm still alive and kicking today, but with a lot less fear of death than before. You ask me if I would die willingly w/o a fight, I will answer with a stern NO; I'm gonna fight with all that's in me, bud. That my be my carnal nature speaking, and not sound so loving but it's the truth.

I would fight tooth and nail for Christ or what he represents to me, and if that means dying in the process then yes, I would give my life for MY view of the Christ man. (Love) I'm not Christ, and I'm not perfect. I am what I am and that may be all I'll ever be.

You asked for honesty, and that is what you got. ;)

James

You know guys, this was a "yes" or "no" question and not one of those philosophical questions. Will you die for Jesus?

-Silas
Yes! Most def!!
I don't have the plane ticket, and am not planning any time soon to get one...so you are the better man than me Silas, and I admit that I don't meet upto your standards. I am not planning on going to a country where they persecute Christians and become a missionary. That was your question was it not? Am I willing to witness where people will take my life...I'd say not many folks can answer that question until they make the commitment and buy the plane ticket to Afganistan or Iran or the like...I can tell you, it is not on my agenda.

And if you are being honest and you are contemplating this...I've not given you the respect you deserve. Of course if that is not the case...I'd suggest looking for that log before you worry about my splinter...

Thanks for being honest! So we have one Christian that wouldnt die for Jesus. Anyone else?

Yes most definately if I was called to go spread the gospel in places that are violent toward Christians then I would be completely ready.

Brings to mind a quote from a movie I love....movie is based on a true story..End of the Spear
"We can't shoot the Waodani, son. They're not ready for heaven—we are."

Im ready to die before denying Christ also.

My question is what's the purpose of this thread? Is it to make some Christians doubt thier faith and/or conviction, or is it to make them feel less worthy than others? Do you feel called? Is this why you made the thread? If so, my hat goes off to you, bro. You're a braver man than I am.

Regardless of our answers, I believe Christ will have mercy on us all. (Even if you decide to stick around the shallow waters, silas.)

As for me and this particular question, I think I'll stick around here at least until I can see clearly enough to make such a monumental decision. This isn't a light matter, nor is it something I wish upon anyone.

James

My question is what's the purpose of this thread?

It's just a reminder to those who adhere to liberal Christanity. The Bible teaches us to examine ourselves to see if we're really in the faith. "Make your calling and election sure," scriptures say. You dont want to be one of the many on Judgement day saying, "Lord! Lord! Didnt I do this and that, etc." And Jesus saying, "Depart from me you worker of evil, I never knew you." That's a very sacry verse to me, and I have assurance as a believer. So all that said, I reitterate Jesus' words:

"If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." -- Matt 16:24-25

Some of us will die as martyrs, while countless others will lose their lives in other ways, e.g., being persecuted inasmuch as losing job, friends, family, food, shelter, etc., all for the sake of Jesus. Will you die for the Christ? That's the price of the call.

Back