Other Sheep...

Prober

Give Us This Day...
Reaction score
2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.

3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.

4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.

and...

16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Source:
King James Version: John: John Chapter 10

Okay, I understand the first part. But how do the other sheep hear the Good Shepherd's voice?

Are there people in other religions who have heard the voice?

Will everyone eventually become Christians?

Any thoughts?

I've alway believed that that verse pertained to converted Gentiles, since Jesus came primaily for the lost sheep of Israel.

Mormons would have a different interpretation, too.

But then I'm reminded of this passage:

"And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
For he that is not against us is on our part." - Mark 9:38-40

It's very telling that Jesus would look beyond His little band of followers and see those outside of His sphere doing His will. Sorta brings down some walls, don't it?

I've alway believed that that verse pertained to converted Gentiles, since Jesus came primaily for the lost sheep of Israel.

I agree with you. Jesus also had gentile sheep who would come in after they hear the gospel and believe upon His name. "My sheep hear my voice and they follow me." This is seen when the wicked high priest Caiaphas was made to prophesied that Jesus was "to gather into one the dispersed children of God," and in John 17 where Jesus prays for all of his people (the Jews that trust in Him and also in those who would come later, namely the gentiles).

I was thinking of witnessing when I asked this question.

I always thought you tried to be a good example of a Christian and then you went and told people about what G-d has done in your life and shared your experiences. Then, the Holy Spirit came along and worked on their hearts and helped them to tune in to Jesus.

I thought this was the gist of the "and they shall hear my voice" part.

What does witnessing entail?
Are we supposed to share doctrine with others?
Is it a "hard sell" or a "soft sell"?

I don't want to be "ashamed of the gospel" and I don't want to push people away either.

Where is the middle? Is there a middle?

Thanks for your thoughts...

I always thought you tried to be a good example of a Christian and then you went and told people about what G-d has done in your life and shared your experiences. Then, the Holy Spirit came along and worked on their hearts and helped them to tune in to Jesus.

I don't want to be "ashamed of the gospel" and I don't want to push people away either.

Witnessing (originally) was a process where by others observe you and your life, then became curious and wanted to know what it was about you that they wanted as well. It was also a process where by others who would attempt to destroy whatever it is you had, yet by standing quietly fast in your faith, and telling your story, their efforts to debunck you failed. Both resulted in "seeds" being planted in the souls of men, concerning faith in Jesus.

Not everyone is a natural salesman for Christ. But every Christian can "witness", given the opportunity.

To witness, is to tell how Jesus has changed your life, and offering that same gift to others (if they wish to accept it). The beauty of witnessing, true witnessing, is that the words come from God Himself, not of our own volition, and it lasts for a life time...

I remember being in Asia for a few months, and met a charming fellow who happened to be a Buhdist. Anyway we hung around together because we seemed to have personalities that meshed. He took me to his temple, and taught me alot about Buhdism, and I met his family and it was truly an enjoyable and enlightening relationship.

But right before I was to leave, he asked me "Where does your inner peace come from?" I replied "What inner peace?"

He said everyone could see what he was talking about. (see, after awhile Christians take for granted what everyone else is searching for).

I thought about it for a moment, then said "I'm Christian".

He said, "Your Jesus does this for you?" Yeah, I guess He does.

"How, do I learn of this Jesus?" Oooohh boy, I didn't know what to say, so I thought a quick prayer (Oh Lord, don't let me screw this up). :eek: :p

Then I simply talked about my life. He listened intently, did not interrupt except to ask for clarification. In the end, I gave him my copy of the military hand book of the NT and Psalms (ya know the camoflage covered pocket sized version). He held it like it was a jewel.

And he had wet eyes, when we parted company. (I don't mind saying I had a lump in the throat that wouldn't go away).

Recently, I stopped at an old friend's home in Seattle, on my way back from Alaska. He is a crusty old salted sailor, but when I went into his work shop, there was a radio station playing very quietly in the corner. It was a local Christian radio station.

Later, I asked my friend about the fact that among the girlie pinup posters and the beer bottles in the trash, and the liberal cussing that was part of his everyday language, his radio station was a Christian station...what's up with that?

He said, "That is you. For 27 years I've left that station on the radio...no one touches it, no one changes it, and I listen while I repair the motorcycles. You tried to teach me the bible when we were young, and I've never forgotten, so I listen everyday, and try to do right where I can..."

I think that is witnessing.

v/r

Joshua

Witnessing (originally) was a process where by others observe you and your life, then became curious and wanted to know what it was about you that they wanted as well. It was also a process where by others who would attempt to destroy whatever it is you had, yet by standing quietly fast in your faith, and telling your story, their efforts to debunck you failed. Both resulted in "seeds" being planted in the souls of men, concerning faith in Jesus.

Amen. Hope this is still true.

Not everyone is a natural salesman for Christ. But every Christian can "witness", given the opportunity.

"A salesman for Christ". I think that's part of the answer. I'm not a salesman for Christ and I want that to be okay. I'm terribly shy and I'd rather be more of a passive witness. But if that's what He wants me to do, then okay.

To witness, is to tell how Jesus has changed your life, and offering that same gift to others (if they wish to accept it). The beauty of witnessing, true witnessing, is that the words come from God Himself, not of our own volition, and it lasts for a life time...
yeah, I can do this...

Later, I asked my friend about the fact that among the girlie pinup posters and the beer bottles in the trash, and the liberal cussing that was part of his everyday language, his radio station was a Christian station...what's up with that?

He said, "That is you. For 27 years I've left that station on the radio...no one touches it, no one changes it, and I listen while I repair the motorcycles. You tried to teach me the bible when we were young, and I've never forgotten, so I listen everyday, and try to do right where I can..."

I think that is witnessing.

v/r

Joshua

This is beautiful and witnessing!

Many thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
Please explain these to me....

Mathew 28:17 When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

Mark 16:14 Later He appeared to the eleven as they sat at the table; and He rebuked their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen. 15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.

Luke 24:44 Then He said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me." 45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures. 46 Then He said to them, "Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And you are witnesses of these things.

Acts 1:6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, "Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?" 7 And He said to them, "It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority. 8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."

Because to me that seems like we are supposed to go out and witness not just wait on people to ask and it came from Jesus's mouth.

Witnessing entials giving an accurate account of the Biblical gospel from God's holiness to Christ atoning death and ressurrection. Please go to the following website and learn how to effectively share your faith. The other Chrisitans on this site will know the following website:

Wayofthemaster.com

Listen to the free audios, especially "hells best kept secret." That audio, as well as "true or false converstion" teaches Christians how to witness by using the principles of the Bible, namely, "Law to the proud hearted" and "grace to the humble."

God Bless!!

Because to me that seems like we are supposed to go out and witness not just wait on people to ask and it came from Jesus's mouth.

Um, yeah, that pretty well spells it out...but I feel like Moses, slow of speech.

Witnessing entials giving an accurate account of the Biblical gospel from God's holiness to Christ atoning death and ressurrection. Please go to the following website and learn how to effectively share your faith. The other Chrisitans on this site will know the following website:

Wayofthemaster.com

Listen to the free audios, especially "hells best kept secret." That audio, as well as "true or false converstion" teaches Christians how to witness by using the principles of the Bible, namely, "Law to the proud hearted" and "grace to the humble."

God Bless!!

Part of it is great. The other part is a crock. They'd best have scientists re-work their intelligent design part. We have animals today that have both gills and lungs...bad move.

That is the problem with Christian web sites that are not well thought out...they give us a bad name (make us look stupid to say the least).

v/r

Joshua

Um, yeah, that pretty well spells it out...but I feel like Moses, slow of speech.

Are you Dor? no, you are you. God works with you as your natural talents and His power and Grace mesh. You simply listen for God's whisper, you'll know it when you hear it.

Dor, you leave people alone. They aren't all big bad asses like you. And this is getting old.

Plane ticket has your name on it...

v/r

Joshua

Part of it is great. The other part is a crock. They'd best have scientists re-work their intelligent design part. We have animals today that have both gills and lungs...bad move.

That is the problem with Christian web sites that are not well thought out...they give us a bad name (make us look stupid to say the least).

v/r

Joshua

There are two debates you can find on that site; one with Ray Comfort and the other with Todd Friel. Both of those guys are Christians and they debated two of the most prominent athesit in American; one of which is head of the "freedom from religion" organization, and a stauch evolutionist. Listen to the debates, I'm sure you'll be suprised by those stupid Christians.

Since posting scripture is not wanted on this board I suggest the name be changed.
Thats right only mods and non christians are allowed to make personal attacks.

Since posting scripture is not wanted on this board I suggest the name be changed.
Thats right only mods and non christians are allowed to make personal attacks.

I appreciate the texts, Dor. I didn't make that clear in my post.

It's my nature to want to witness to those who happen by. But the texts you gave show that God wants us to purposefully spread the gospel.

And I find quoting the Bible a great aid to getting my point across.

Thanks!

I appreciate the texts, Dor. I didn't make that clear in my post.

It's my nature to want to witness to those who happen by. But the texts you gave show that God wants us to purposefully spread the gospel.

And I find quoting the Bible a great aid to getting my point across.

Thanks!
Prober I did not mean for that to sound snappy to you if it did.
I just find it easier to post scripture cause if I try to paraphrase it and make a little mistake I feel bad.
I did not realize that some of the powers that be would think scripture quoting to be rude or picking on people.

Here's one I like...

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed upon Thee."

Back