TechnoPaganism

Pathless

Fiercely Interdependent
Reaction score
Anyone out there practice any form of what you would consider technopaganism?

For those unfamiliar with the term, as I am--I've heard it in passing before, but am just beginning to look into this concept--the nutshell idea seems to be that technology can be imbued with spirit and used as a tool in magical/spiritual ritual.

This is an attractive idea for me right now, for a couple of reasons. I currently spend more time than I should in front of my computer, compulsively watching videos on youtube, posting and reading here, or otherwise surfing the internet.

Also, since I was a teenager, I've found a kind of trashy beauty in modern technology, especially when abandoned and left to the consumption of nature. I feel that things like a shopping cart overturned in a field and being overgrown with grass and weeds should be somehow morally and intellectually offensive to me, but really, I think scenes like that are filled with some kind of weird gorgeousity. See the attached photograph for an example of a beautiful rusty thing in a field.

And then of course there is the notion that no form of technology can be considered "unnatural," since every artifact of technology has been created with the materials provided by nature. Possibly there is an argument against this if you want to make the case that materials manipulated in and technological advancements acheived through research in outer space qualify as "unnatural." I guess it comes down to how you define "natural."

I guess it does come down to that as well in this whole concept of technopaganism. In seeing technology as spiritual, perhaps we stretch our imaginations and traditional beliefs about what is sacred. I'm not sure how far off this concept is, though, because certainly many indigenous people imbued their technological artifacts with spirit, or believe that spirits inhabited them, and used them in ritual. A clear example is the "shaman's drum."

If we approach objects of technology with reverence--assuming first that we approach living plants and animals and also minerals and other "natural" creations with reverence (and even that starting point is a stretch for some people!)--if we approach our technological creations as well as the creations of the more natural world with reverence, our interconnection with the world is heightened. This kind of approach, I think, can heighten sensitivity, awareness, self-knowledge, and compassion for the Other. This last, compassion for the Other, is especially crucial for humanity as a species, immersed as we are in a planetary ecosystem that is very much at the mercy of our technology. When respect for our technology and respect for our planet combine, we begin to walk more lightly, and miracles follow.

Attachments

• Rusty Thing in  a Field.JPG
    Rusty Thing in a Field.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,176
I imagine that technopaganism is an offshoot of chaos magick, or perhaps of the Temple of Psychic Youth (however they spell it with their "creative" spelling!) It likely also blends into pop culture magick and things related to that -- see Taylor Ellwood's work for that sort of stuff.

You might enjoy NewWitch magazine too if technopaganism interests you. It's not specifically technopagan, but it is definitely leaning towards cutting edge witchcraft and magickal spirituality.

; )

Ben Gruagach
http://www.witchgrotto.com

so this has nothing to do with the older concepts of "technolatry" or "machine cult"?

Anyone out there practice any form of what you would consider technopaganism?

For those unfamiliar with the term, as I am--I've heard it in passing before, but am just beginning to look into this concept--the nutshell idea seems to be that technology can be imbued with spirit and used as a tool in magical/spiritual ritual.

Greetings Pathless.
From those "Tekno's" I have come in contact with the concept has expanded to include technology as a tool and to enhance the "normal" working tools of whatever path is under consideration. With suitable modification to an otherwise "normal" tool by the application of modern knowledge of "Natural Philosophy" (Physics) and technology it is thought that such a device would function more effectively and efficiently. This is not a movement to return to the pre-steam and pre chemistry days of yore but a methodology to embrace the Arts of the Past with existing and new technologies.

This is an attractive idea for me right now, for a couple of reasons. I currently spend more time than I should in front of my computer, compulsively watching videos on youtube, posting and reading here, or otherwise surfing the internet.

But therein lies the beauty of this concept, Pathless, in that the computer may be applied to a path (Electronic Book of Shadows), a youtube video of a ritual may be followed at home contributing to the possible overall enhancement of that ritual, time and space permitting.

A crystal topped staff may be made with a pure man-made optically and electrically "perfect" crystal that may also enhanced by Laser technology (pure light) modulated by the human voice of the wielder while performing a Sacred Chant at a High Ritual.

Or, as was observed at a public Beltane Ritual here in the States, some many years ago, a portable running water "Evil Spirit Trap" powered by an aquarium pump and a small battery powered inverter when far afield where no surface water was to be found.:)

This of course is dependent of one's belief system, ingenuity and index of inertia to new ideas.

A perfect "angle" to reach the majority. :)

So it would seem, 17th Angel.

Yet the appeal is more toward the less than agrarian and more towards the technological segments of current society as the "TechnoPaganism" label provides an umbrella for those less inclined to forgo their knowledge and expertise in favor of pre-steam age society and its associated high levels of drudgery:(, class stratification:mad: and suspicion:eek:.

Last edited:

Does anyone do magic spells the way I do them which is as follows: I do all my spells on the computer. I open up my computer graphic program. I search on line for graphics that pertain to my spell and poems and/or lyrics as well. Then copy and paste both the clip art and poems and/or lyrics onto the document in the graphic program. Then I also put in a line that says this magic spell does not have to be printed out to work and I thank the gods/goddesses. And save it. I also recite it after saving it.

I do it this way because I dont like using real candles, or using real props. To me it is the intent and belief in the spell. And how do we really know that a waning moon, full moon, beads, herbs really make the spell effective.

What I am trying to say is that instead of using the actual candle, or stones, etc I create the spell.

Here is how I do it:
Step One: Open up the internet
Step Two: Open up the computer graphic I am going to use
Step Three: Go back to the internet and see if there are any poems or lyrics I can use as the words to my spell
Step four: Copy the poem or lyric into the computer graphic
Step Five: Go back to the internet to see what clip art pertain to my spell, a candle, rope, etc.
Step Five: Then at the end of the spell I say "So mote it be and I thank the Gods/Goddesses and this spell work immediately"

If I cannot find a poem or lyric I either improvise or modify a spell I found on line and incorporate the candles, etc (in graphic form) on my computer.

The spells that are working so far:
My cousin having a painful erection (long story). I used bananas as the clip art and every where (on TV, supermarkets the word or item is being used and shown a lot)
A spell involving billboards (and billboards are popping up all over the place)
A spell to stop customers from coming into four 99 cent stores.

Gretings, lover454
I start by saying that I am not a practitioner, however...

The methodology which you have described appears to be based upon a concept of tapping into the vast Well of energies/experiances which has pre-existed, and is being added to daily, using a newer form of access, the computer, coupled with self; or so my friends of SOTEG have alluded too. The particular mechanisms one has spoken of are but a different take, using different tools, and supposedly fewer "safeguards."

But then again, "Perfect love and perfect trust" may also be in play. Who is to say?

I do it this way because I dont like using real candles, or using real props. To me it is the intent and belief in the spell. And how do we really know that a waning moon, full moon, beads, herbs really make the spell effective.

What others may believe to be naught but useless props may indeed prove be useful to a novice or intermediate student in order to perfect both thought and form (ritual procedure) as well as providing some of the otherwise unknown safeguards, should they indeed be needed.

As to the effect of astronomical and other influences, perhaps a study of existing literature, leading to the creation of a database which in turn is analyzed for cause and effect may be a worthwhile venture. Then again, it might be a waste of time, computer resources and disc space.

Again, there are those of my advisers who might pose the questions of" Whom is being used by whom to gain what ends desirable or otherwise?" or to use computer terms "How does one distinguish the 'server' from the 'client' from the 'hacker' in such a relationship?"

Then there is the advisory of:
-> "Be careful of what you wish for, You might get it.":)

Last edited:
I really think people have to stop using props and just recite the spells and keep repeating the spells to themselves until it takes effect. I bet my bottom dollar props are not the reason the spell works. Also I noticed that when you look at candle color meaning each candle has about 20 meanings. So for exmple: If you use a blue candle for whatever reason you are casting the spell how do you really know if the blue candle is going to work in the way you want it to or another way - you dont. Props were only used in past centuries due to the fact people were superstitious and believed gods lived inside the props and would these gods would do the casters bidding nothing more.

But how do you know that props really work. The props cannot speak to us and say "Oh yes I made this happen". I think people are led blindly into believing props are the only way to go. I dont buy that. As I said if God came down and told me "Use props" then I would, but God never said that ONLY HUMANS WHO PRACTICE MAGIC SPELLS SAY PROPS ARE THE WAY TO GO. Can you honestly say the props really send energy out to the universe. I highly doubt it. I think it just makes the caster concentrate and relax plain and simple. No human that casts spells using props can honestly say "Yep my prop made it work". I really think it is the belief in the spell that makes it work - plain and simple. Think about it the person casting the spell truly believes in the spell

My spells use clip art which lock in the spell for all times. And think about it in the show Charmed all they did for most of the time was read the spell. I know this is just a TV show but it is based on spell practice.

But how do you know that props really work. The props cannot speak to us and say "Oh yes I made this happen". I think people are led blindly into believing props are the only way to go. I dont buy that. As I said if God came down and told me "Use props" then I would, but God never said that ONLY HUMANS WHO PRACTICE MAGIC SPELLS SAY PROPS ARE THE WAY TO GO. Can you honestly say the props really send energy out to the universe. I highly doubt it. I think it just makes the caster concentrate and relax plain and simple. No human that casts spells using props can honestly say "Yep my prop made it work". I really think it is the belief in the spell that makes it work - plain and simple. Think about it the person casting the spell truly believes in the spell

My spells use clip art which lock in the spell for all times. And think about it in the show Charmed all they did for most of the time was read the spell. I know this is just a TV show but it is based on spell practice.

I understand what you are saying but feel the need to point out that it depends on believing magick is strictly a psychological effect.

Historically there have been many instances where things have been defined as magick by one generation of practitioners only to be redefined as science by later generations. The field of herbalism is a perfect example of this (and still is in some cases.) Sometimes the desired outcome of the magickal operation does depend on the deliberate use of specific items or "props" such as specific herbs prepared in specific ways and administered to a patient in specific ways for specific purposes.

There are magickal practitioners today who are animists, who believe that the physical realm is not just a soulless mechanism but that there is spirit (even individual spirits) indwelling in everything that exists. Performing magick with an animist outlook means respecting the "props" as not mere tools in a working but as partners one cooperates with in order to achieve a goal. And with this outlook one partner is not necessarily interchangeable with another, any more than in mundane life an auto mechanic is perfectly interchangeable with a brain surgeon. You seek out and work with the partners who would be most effective for the goal you are working on.

I don't think that an animist outlook is incompatible with a technopagan outlook either. Technological tools are really just new types of magickal partners one can work with. The trick is to figure out what their talents are and how they can help one achieve specific goals.

There is a good introductory article about magickal models that would be worth reading at Internet Book of Shadows: Models of Magick

When I wrote that you dont have to use props to do spells that you can do them the way I do them which is solely on the computer (I use a graphic program, type the spell on the computer and use the appropriate graphic and then save it on the program, I also say this spell does not have to be printed out to work. I never use real candles, or other props) one person added that spells are like prayers.
I agree and since prayers are found typed in the bible, and when you go to your place of worship you dont use props you just recite the words in the bible, and/or a prayer can be something you say to yourself where ever you happen to be at the moment.
So this proves my point spells can be done on the computer, words and graphics from the computer and you dont have to print out the spell for it to work. Reciting can be just enough

When I wrote that you dont have to use props to do spells that you can do them the way I do them which is solely on the computer (I use a graphic program, type the spell on the computer and use the appropriate graphic and then save it on the program, I also say this spell does not have to be printed out to work. I never use real candles, or other props) one person added that spells are like prayers.
I agree and since prayers are found typed in the bible, and when you go to your place of worship you dont use props you just recite the words in the bible, and/or a prayer can be something you say to yourself where ever you happen to be at the moment.
So this proves my point spells can be done on the computer, words and graphics from the computer and you dont have to print out the spell for it to work. Reciting can be just enough

Yes, merely reciting the words can be enough IF you consider the spell to be "merely" a prayer.

There are many who practice magick who consider prayers to be just one type of spell -- and not necessarily the most effective.

to bgruagach: You are so wrong that receiting the words is just a prayer. Did God come down and say the only way for a magic spell to work is if you light a candle, use herbs, etc. NO he did not. The ones who decided to use props (even at the beginning) were/are humans. So can you honestly say props work, no you cannot. Humans do magic spells, not God. So whatever way one feels the spells should be done then that is the way it should be done. I bet my bottom dollar that if humans either created the spells the way I did or just recited them their spells would work. OR if you did use props and did a spell that someone told you to do on a Friday if you did it on another day it would work.

to bgruagach: You are so wrong that receiting the words is just a prayer. Did God come down and say the only way for a magic spell to work is if you light a candle, use herbs, etc. NO he did not. The ones who decided to use props (even at the beginning) were/are humans. So can you honestly say props work, no you cannot. Humans do magic spells, not God. So whatever way one feels the spells should be done then that is the way it should be done. I bet my bottom dollar that if humans either created the spells the way I did or just recited them their spells would work. OR if you did use props and did a spell that someone told you to do on a Friday if you did it on another day it would work.

Which God are you talking about? I'm a polytheist.

Lots of myths describe both gods and goddesses performing magick spells. For instance, the great Egyptian goddess Isis performed magick to resurrect her slain husband, Osiris.

From a literalist scientific point of view I would agree that humans invented human activities such as performing magick -- whether through complicated rituals, spells, or prayers.

And while prayers can be effective I am of the strong opinion that the effectiveness depends on the circumstance and goal being worked. For example, if I was going to do a healing to help someone get over a cold I would use prayers directed towards appropriate healing deities and spirits, and would have the patient also drink healing drinks (something with a lot of vitamin c in it!) and also have them lie down bundled up with warm blankets. I have no doubt that the working would be far less effective if I left out the part about having them drink the medicinal brew, or didn't insist on them lying down and keeping warm... prayer alone is not always enough.

But that's just my take on working magick. I've been practicing magick as a Wiccan for decades.

Last edited:
Back