Salvation not restricted to Christains

Pico

Reaction score
While reading my Bible today I ran across something interesting that Jesus said. At the beginning of John 10 Jesus is talking about being the good shepherd, and then talks about his sheep who know him (obviously the Christians who choose to follow him).

Then he says in verse 16: "I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold (sheep pen). I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice; and there will be one flock with one shepherd."

By saying there are other sheep, outside of his sheep pen, leads me to believe that there are other people who are not Christians, but will come when Jesus calls them to Heaven to be with him.

The Lord owns :D

While reading my Bible today I ran across something interesting that Jesus said. At the beginning of John 10 Jesus is talking about being the good shepherd, and then talks about his sheep who know him (obviously the Christians who choose to follow him).

Then he says in verse 16: "I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold (sheep pen). I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice; and there will be one flock with one shepherd."

By saying there are other sheep, outside of his sheep pen, leads me to believe that there are other people who are not Christians, but will come when Jesus calls them to Heaven to be with him.

The Lord owns :D

Though others have differing views on that passage, I wouldn't put it past Jesus not to do such a thing. ;)

v/r

Joshua

I believe that is referring to the gentiles that would be grafted in after His resurrection.. :) Remember that didnt happen until Paul had his vision on the road to Damascus. When Christ was alive there were no "Christians" Just Jews and Gentiles.

One planet, one humanity ... many tribes, and nations ... yet one Christ, by whatever name he may be known, to people of other faiths, other traditions.

That's how I see it ... and therefore, no, salvation is not just for Christians. It truly makes me smile! :)

(As in, oh! God really is a God worth worshipping, after all!!!)

~andrew

And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those also I must bring, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd John 10;16 these ones that Jesus called other sheep , are the ones that will NOT be going to heaven with Jesus , only a little flock will be going to heaven with Jesus and it is the 144,000
(Luke 12:32) "Have no fear, little flock, because YOUR Father has approved of giving YOU the kingdom............. but these other sheep are still christians because they are listening to Jesus voice, and they are united with the little flock and have the same shepherd. these are the GREAT CROWD spoken of in revelation 7;-9-10 and their hope is to get through the great tribulation , and go on to inherit the earth.
"Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth. matthew 5;5
But the meek ones themselves will possess the earth,

And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.psalm 37;11

Curious how the pressure to "accept Jesus" is so broad in Christian circles, yet we get a very different feel in this exchange between Jesus and a certain lawyer:

"And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live." - Luke 25-28

And then again in this passage of a similiar vein:

"And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:
And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices. And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question." - Mark 12:32-34

Do you suppose that God values our loving Him with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength and loving our neighbor as ourselves more than He values Jesus' sacrifice?

narrow is the path and broad is the way to destruction.
very true ,
Because the narrow path is restricted by God’s laws and principles. It would appeal only to someone sincerely desiring to conform his life to God’s standards.
In sharp contrast with the broad road, which gives the illusion of freedom but in reality enslaves.
Every living human is imperfect and has an inherited tendency toward wrongdoing.
it is not always easy to stay on the narrow way.

Do you suppose that God values our loving Him with all our heart, mind, soul, and strength and loving our neighbor as ourselves more than He values Jesus' sacrifice?

Since they're the same person - No.

There is evidence in the Old Testament and new that God is God of the whole world, not just the Jews...

... and dare I say it, but a god who says, 'I'll look after you, but the rest, no matter how good they are, can go hang,' is not worth much in my book.

+++

However, there is evidence in the Old Testament and the New that God called a people to Himself for a singular purpose, and in short how they should be is summed up in the Shema Israel, and what they should do is summed up in the commission given to the Apostles at the end of the Gospels.

+++

I would suggest, in that sense, we are not here for God, nor for ourselves, but for the world, we are here as witness to the Word, that the world might know of God as we know Him, as has been made known to us – for without His Church, who will pass on His Name?

+++

And His name is Love.

+++

Thomas

You may have misunderstood me, Prober. I wasn't saying that God would value us more than Jesus, but values our love for Him and our neighbor more than our need for Jesus' sacrifice.

Does G-d value our need for Jesus' sacrifice?
I don't know how to answer that.

We are called to be holy.. being holy means to be set apart...If everyone is saved regardless of their faith...who are we set apart from?

We are called to be holy.. being holy means to be set apart...If everyone is saved regardless of their faith...who are we set apart from?
From yourself/selves, if you did not otherwise seek to be holy (righteous). You don't have to define yourself/selves, or think of being "set apart" - relative to other people.

As a good friend of mine in college used to say, challenge yourself - and Win! :)

"...and they will listen to my voice; and there will be one flock with one shepherd."

Whatever sheep He calls, they are ones that hear His voice and are His sheep. (imo) Whatever people make it to Heaven will be following Jesus so will it make that much difference if they're called "Christians" or "Jesus Followers"?

Does G-d value our need for Jesus' sacrifice?
I don't know how to answer that.

See, you're pulling it out of context. I wasn't asking if God values our need for Jesus' sacrifice. I was making a comparision.

Think of your answer in relation to this verse that I quoted:

"And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices."

See, you're pulling it out of context. I wasn't asking if God values our need for Jesus' sacrifice. I was making a comparision.

Think of your answer in relation to this verse that I quoted:

"And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices."

Oh, sorry! I've been accused of over-thinking things sometimes.:)

Um, the verse seems to agree with you. I wonder if it's talking about only burnt offerings and (burnt) sacrifices...

To love G-d is certainly a better offering than these sacrifices.

I don't think it's a better offering than Jesus' sacrifice, though (I may be wrong).

What are your thoughts here?

From yourself/selves, if you did not otherwise seek to be holy (righteous). You don't have to define yourself/selves, or think of being "set apart" - relative to other people.

As a good friend of mine in college used to say, challenge yourself - and Win! :)

Silly Andrew :) I wasnt meaning the Englsh word Holy I meant the Hebrew word Holy which is used in the bible..

Qadowsh = sacred, holy, Holy One, saint, set apart

according to scripture we ARE set apart.

Back