Young's Literal Translation of Bible

When Abraham gave him his choice, Lot went east.(towards Sodom)

(speaking of literal.)

What would have happened if Abraham had chosen first as elder and, knowing the dangers, chosen the "cities of the plain" and left the peaceful pastures to Lot?

What would have happened if Abraham had chosen first as elder and, knowing the dangers, chosen the "cities of the plain" and left the peaceful pastures to Lot?

Don't know, but possibly Lot's wife wouldn't have met with a mineral demise.

I thought Abraham's pliability was the point.

Last edited:
Interesting question. Abraham would not of had the immediate daughters to have drunken sex with (Genesis 19) to repopulate.

Oh, goodness, it seems like forever since I read it. I would think it is in the book of Joshua, or perhaps the first book of Judges. Let me see what I can find...

I stand corrected, it was Gideon, not Joshua:

Judges 7:1 Then Jerubbaal, who is Gideon, and all the people that were with him, rose up early, and pitched beside the well of Harod: so that the host of the Midianites were on the north side of them, by the hill of Moreh, in the valley.

Judges 7:2 And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me.

Judges 7:3 Now therefore go to, proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, Whosoever is fearful and afraid, let him return and depart early from mount Gilead. And there returned of the people twenty and two thousand; and there remained ten thousand.

Judges 7:4 And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people are yet too many; bring them down unto the water, and I will try them for thee there: and it shall be, that of whom I say unto thee, This shall go with thee, the same shall go with thee; and of whomsoever I say unto thee, This shall not go with thee, the same shall not go.

Judges 7:5 So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink.

Judges 7:6 And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water.

Judges 7:7 And the LORD said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place.

The book continues of course, giving some details of the battles that followed.

Yup I will continue to read that... My thanks.

Interesting question. Abraham would not of had the immediate daughters to have drunken sex with (Genesis 19) to repopulate.

Incidently, the Moabites and the Ammonites, the peoples that were the result of Lot's incestuous relationship with his daughters, were a constant bane to the nation of Israel in later years, always at war with each other. Goes to show that no good thing can come out of such deplorable sin as this.

Incidently, the Moabites and the Ammonites, the peoples that were the result of Lot's incestuous relationship with his daughters, were a constant bane to the nation of Israel in later years, always at war with each other. Goes to show that no good thing can come out of such deplorable sin as this.

Ruth was the great-great grandmother of David. She was a Moabitess. Fourteen generations later, out of the line of David, our Messiah was born.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

I understand what you mean, but Jesus Christ was a very, very good thing.

Are you kidding me? Is that a joke? Where did you find that Koolaid?

Ruth was the great-great grandmother of David. She was a Moabitess. Fourteen generations later, out of the line of David, our Messiah was born.

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Romans 8:28

I understand what you mean, but Jesus Christ was a very, very good thing.

Ruth was a very graceful exception to the rule. She is an example of the Gentile Bride of Christ in compliment to Naomi's redemption of Israel.

Genesis 19:30-38
I think Genesis 19:9 is the more important verse. Remember that Lot was found righteous. The men of the city said about Lot, "This one came in to stay here, and he keeps acting as a judge;" Remember, Lot was also found righteous by God. As God said, the city of Sodom was NOT going to be destroyed with him in it.

What about the men of the city? As they said, "now we will deal worse with you than with them." They did not like to hear judgment and they even condemned it.. (oppressed, punished).

But you and I are trying to judge what is rightful. Would you tell a child, "I'm sorry, but your grand-daddy was also your great-grand-daddy. You were born into sin and now you have eat the wrath so take this gun and go make your grand-daddy proud"? Do you believe it? Is that really the Moabites and the Ammonites?

I submit that it is the parents though who raise their children to be sinners as a generation by NOT giving and hearing the judgment from each other for what they believe is right, or when someone does sin... but as a judgment without condemning. The difference between condemn (with action) and judge (words only) is forgiveness. To condemn judgment risks being Sodom. I can see that people wrongly judge what they can not possibly see, or do it for their own beliefs or desires, but at least everyone learns something about it in the process. I simply do not disconnect the internet for fear of NOT being able to handle someone else's words.

In summary, to me Sodom was NOT about God condemning a town. It was about a town condemning the judgment of each other, probably all kinds of decay as a result, and then getting condemned for it.

Back