Young's Literal Translation of Bible

earl

?
Reaction score
Given how various versions of the Bible may have included various translation errors in transcribing the Bible into English from the original Hebrew & Greek, thought this online version which purports to be the truest available translation available from the original Hebrew & Greek-"Young's Literal Translation"-might be an interesting resource to many. have a good one, earl

BibleGateway.com - Version information:

From "Young's Literal Translation"
Gen2:18And Jehovah God saith, `Not good for the man to be alone, I do make to him an helper -- as his counterpart.' 19And Jehovah God formeth from the ground every beast of the field... and to man hath not been found an helper -- as his counterpart. 21And Jehovah God causeth a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and he sleepeth, and He taketh one of his ribs, and closeth up flesh in its stead.
:eek: I'm not sayin nothin as it only gets me in trouble ...

John 13 (Young's Literal Translation)

21These things having said, Jesus was troubled in the spirit, and did testify, and said, `Verily, verily, I say to you, that one of you will deliver me up;' 22the disciples were looking, therefore, one at another, doubting concerning whom he speaketh.
23And there was one of his disciples reclining (at meat) in the bosom of Jesus, whom Jesus was loving;
24Simon Peter, then, doth beckon to this one, to inquire who he may be concerning whom he speaketh,
25and that one having leant back on the breast of Jesus, respondeth to him, `Sir, who is it?'
26Jesus answereth, `That one it is to whom I, having dipped the morsel, shall give it;' and having dipped the morsel, he giveth [it] to Judas of Simon, Iscariot.
27And after the morsel, then the Adversary entered into that one, Jesus, therefore, saith to him, `What thou dost -- do quickly;'
28and none of those reclining at meat knew for what intent he said this to him
this literal translation raises a lot of questioins.

Earl,

Do you think this is a better translation than the Hamsa Bible?
I don't know the Hamsa...but I like the Lamsa.
Why? are we reading homosexuality into this (for example)?
I suppose someone could, or someone could question the gender of that disciple, or how it indicates that Jesus gave him the bread...Satan entered...therefor Jesus said...its just interesting his choice of words...translations are all tough.

Now what exactly 'loving' meant in Young's time and why he used it like that is again hard to tell. In the 30's 'making love' meant kissing, a lot different than what it meant in the 60's...the further a translation is away from the current time, the harder it is to determine the meaning of the words.

I don't know the Hamsa...but I like the Lamsa.I suppose someone could, or someone could question the gender of that disciple, or how it indicates that Jesus gave him the bread...Satan entered...therefor Jesus said...its just interesting his choice of words...translations are all tough.

Now what exactly 'loving' meant in Young's time and why he used it like that is again hard to tell. In the 30's 'making love' meant kissing, a lot different than what it meant in the 60's...the further a translation is away from the current time, the harder it is to determine the meaning of the words.
Exactly. And even in the Middle east today, loving means something totally different than what the west thinks.

Maybe that is why Christianity is such a volatile faith. We perceive things differently than our eastern counterparts...

Exactly. And even in the Middle east today, loving means something totally different than what the west thinks.

Maybe that is why Christianity is such a volatile faith. We perceive things differently than our eastern counterparts...

...which leads me to a question. What was the culture of the day, in Jesus' time? And how is it different from the west? (ok two questions).

v/r

Joshua

...which leads me to a question. What was the culture of the day, in Jesus' time? And how is it different from the west? (ok two questions).

v/r

Joshua
cant answer the first part about the culture just what I have read.
The second part how is it different well from most*not all* posters on here Id say it is not much different he would still get nailed to a cross.

cant answer the first part about the culture just what I have read.
The second part how is it different well from most*not all* posters on here Id say it is not much different he would still get nailed to a cross.

I doubt it. See if the Bible is anything it gives us instructions. There was a time when God whittled down an army to what, 300?, against 30,000? (I may be off).

Christ would never be hung again. He just couldn't be. Never again.

This question may be way off base.

Do you think this had anything to do with Abraham and Lot? When Abraham gave him his choice, Lot went east.(towards Sodom)

(speaking of literal.)

Wasn't that just made into a movie?

:/ That isn't anything to do with the christian god.... The movie you are thinking of.... Is about the historical battle of Thermopylae.. With some added spice from Frank Millers graphic novel "300".. 300 Spartans VS basically a mil. 1,000,000. :)

Basic
Instructions
Before
Leaving
Earth

Bold,
Imagination.
Baloney,
lores,
exaggerated..... ;)

Kindest Regards, Angel!
:/ That isn't anything to do with the christian god.... The movie you are thinking of.... Is about the historical battle of Thermopylae.. With some added spice from Frank Millers graphic novel "300".. 300 Spartans VS basically a mil. 1,000,000. :)
I have heard of this, it is referenced in the movie "The Last Samurai."

However, Q is also correct, if memory serves me. There was an episode as the Jews were coming out of Sinai under the command of Joshua, in which Joshua was instructed to observe the fighting men as they ate and drank, and to handpick those men he observed drinking as a dog would...in other words, watchful even while drinking. Those handpicked soldiers amounted to about 300 as I recall, and while the details of the battle escape me, they were victorious over a much larger army.

300 handpicked Jewish soldiers.

Given how various versions of the Bible may have included various translation errors in transcribing the Bible into English from the original Hebrew & Greek, thought this online version which purports to be the truest available translation available from the original Hebrew & Greek-"Young's Literal Translation"-might be an interesting resource to many. have a good one, earl

BibleGateway.com - Version information:
In the area of 'judge' or 'judgment' versus 'condemn' it looks perfect by the Greek except for two verses where 'condemn' became 'sentenced'. I consider that very poor since in English the implication is that it is the reverse of the condemn by censorship. Kind of like the word 'condemnation' the word 'sentence' implies that words are the 'condemn'... in which case censorship is the save. Does a stoning add to someone or remove?

A few verses moved things around a bit for some reason, like Mat 20:18-19. Some verses do read different but perhaps rightfully so! Is there anything that you specifically like or dislike within Young's translation, Earl?

Kindest Regards, Angel!

I have heard of this, it is referenced in the movie "The Last Samurai."

However, Q is also correct, if memory serves me. There was an episode as the Jews were coming out of Sinai under the command of Joshua, in which Joshua was instructed to observe the fighting men as they ate and drank, and to handpick those men he observed drinking as a dog would...in other words, watchful even while drinking. Those handpicked soldiers amounted to about 300 as I recall, and while the details of the battle escape me, they were victorious over a much larger army.

300 handpicked Jewish soldiers.

Could you point me in the direction of references to that? Sounds interesting.

Could you point me in the direction of references to that? Sounds interesting.
Oh, goodness, it seems like forever since I read it. I would think it is in the book of Joshua, or perhaps the first book of Judges. Let me see what I can find...

I stand corrected, it was Gideon, not Joshua:

Judges 7:1 Then Jerubbaal, who is Gideon, and all the people that were with him, rose up early, and pitched beside the well of Harod: so that the host of the Midianites were on the north side of them, by the hill of Moreh, in the valley.

Judges 7:2 And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me.

Judges 7:3 Now therefore go to, proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, Whosoever is fearful and afraid, let him return and depart early from mount Gilead. And there returned of the people twenty and two thousand; and there remained ten thousand.

Judges 7:4 And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people are yet too many; bring them down unto the water, and I will try them for thee there: and it shall be, that of whom I say unto thee, This shall go with thee, the same shall go with thee; and of whomsoever I say unto thee, This shall not go with thee, the same shall not go.

Judges 7:5 So he brought down the people unto the water: and the LORD said unto Gideon, Every one that lappeth of the water with his tongue, as a dog lappeth, him shalt thou set by himself; likewise every one that boweth down upon his knees to drink.

Judges 7:6 And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water.

Judges 7:7 And the LORD said unto Gideon, By the three hundred men that lapped will I save you, and deliver the Midianites into thine hand: and let all the other people go every man unto his place.

The book continues of course, giving some details of the battles that followed.

Last edited:
Back