lectio divina and biblical interpretation

earl

?
Reaction score
For those unfamiliar with the tradition of lectio divina, thought I'd offer some good info re it. It of course is a contemplative, "prayerful" means of allowing the different possible layers of meaning found in the Bible to unfold in us and through us, probably changing us and our subsequent interpretations of the Bible (and ourselves) in the process:

Introd. to Lectio Divina

have a good one, earl

I like it, I've done the solitary bit or similar for a while...

I think I'll try the group contemplation...which requires three readers, perfect way to modify the morning ritual with my kids (as we are three)...It might be a little slower reading than they are used to, but requiring more involvemnent and they are better at silence now as teenagers than they were before. (they used to like to sit in meditation with me...but they often only lasted the beginning, middle or end, not all...)

"Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." - Psalm 119:9-11

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life." - John 6:63

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." - Romans 12:1-2

"This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success." - Joshua 1:8

"But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night." - Psalm 1:2

Thank you for that article, which expounds on what scripture already teaches.

Back