The Oil

InLove

at peace
Reaction score
Hi Everyone--

Peace.

I've been wanting to ask this for a while, and the subject has recently been alluded to on another thread. So maybe this is a good time to bring it up.

I have thoughts on this, but I'd like to hear from others. What do you think "the oil" to which Jesus refers to in the following parable represents?

From Matthew 25:

1 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
2 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
3 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
4 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
5 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
6 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
7 Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
8 And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
9 But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Looking forward to responses...

InPeace,
InLove

Last edited:
The foolish were unorganised...

The "wise" were organised....

Couldn't it just be a story to say... HEY! Be prepared.. Or could it be like their senses? In the dark, you cannot see, but with oil for your lamp you can see... Well, you can see better than not being equiped with a lantern.

Without understanding... You cannot see upon a subject clearly... But with a little understanding you can do more so........

In the physical it is the fuel that burns for light.

In the parable it is allows the bridegroom to see you in the light.

In the end it refers to being prepared for the light to enter you.

I'd say the definition of what is the oil is determined by in the story what is your definition of light, of the trimming the wick, and of the bridegroom.

And all that will vary as to what is currently going on your life...to me the meanings of various bible texts are not just the literal, historical, societal/conventional metaphorical understandings but also many levels of personal metaphysical understandings depending on where we are...

and then if they were told the bridegroom was there to be met....why did he tarry...and why did they not wait in anticipation...why did they sleep...and depending on your meaning of oil....who are the sellers and what do you buy it with?

gotta love this stuff!

So what is oil or light or bridegroom for me today could be different from what it is for you...or me tomorrow.

Interesting answers so far. I am still thinking about what I think. :D

I don't really think I have an agenda here. I hope no one is thinking I am out to teach a Sunday School lesson. I'm just thinking. Whaddya think?

Thinks. Err, I mean, "Thanks". :)

InPeace,
InLove

The Holy Spirit

Oil is used to anoint, particularly on the head (Exodus 29:7). Christ or Messiah means the "Anointed One". At His Baptism, from which He began his ministry, the Spirit in the form of a Dove came down upon His head.

But the oil was also used in the Tabernacle of Moses to light the Candlestick, which represented the Light of the Spirit (Seven Spirits of God in Rev). So in the case of the Ten Virgins, it was a matter of whether one had oil in there lamps at the coming of the Groom ("The Spirit and the Bride say, come" - Rev 22:17).

Kindest Regards, InLove!

I have thoughts on this, but I'd like to hear from others. What do you think "the oil" to which Jesus refers to in the following parable represents?
Olive oil, the oil of the people.

In the physical it is the fuel that burns for light.

In the parable it is allows the bridegroom to see you in the light.

In the end it refers to being prepared for the light to enter you.
And become the bride of Christ. Yeah, that too. ;)

Might I be sacreligious an posit that he was quite exhausted after 5 virgins?:rolleyes: And perhaps that it is good to get well-oiled before 'indulging'???

Hi All--

I just wanted you to know that I'm not ignoring the comments. I'm just doing some research and meditation. Thanks for all your input.

(TE, I'm glad this isn't a Sunday School class. We'd have to put you in "timeout". :eek:)

InPeace,
InLove

I just wanted you to know that I'm not ignoring the comments. I'm just doing some research and meditation. Thanks for all your input.

(TE, I'm glad this isn't a Sunday School class. We'd have to put you in "timeout". :eek:)
As in all threads there are posts that are worthy being ignored (oft times mine) and the meditation and research will do you wonders for your purpose...v. the comments.
:eek: rushes off to the naughty corner.....
sort of half trot, half gallop as the path is well worn and he knows his way home....

I seem to remember there's a passage that involves annointing with oil between Jesus and Mary Magdelene, which was juxtaposed with an event in the OT involving Solomon annointing with oil.

Can't remember the passages at present - sorry - but I figure they may possibly be able to help with a context, as per Dondi's comments.

I seem to remember there's a passage that involves annointing with oil between Jesus and Mary Magdelene, which was juxtaposed with an event in the OT involving Solomon annointing with oil.

Can't remember the passages at present - sorry - but I figure they may possibly be able to help with a context, as per Dondi's comments.

I don't know what connection that Mary's annointing Jesus' feet with expensive oils and spices from the alabaster jar has with Solomon, except perhaps in connection with the Queen of Sheba in I Kings 10, where she brought Solomon a long train of camels filled with spices, gold, and precious stones, and communed with Solomon all that was in her heart (parallelling perhaps the idea of Mary being taught at Jesus' feet). But it is a rather thin juxaposition, unless I'm missing something.

But I did ponder at the significance of Mary's sacrifice. If what I proposed is true, that the oil generally represent's the Holy Spirit, then perhaps what we see in Mary is a reversal. That she is symbolically pouring out her own spirit before Jesus at His feet of the opposite end of the spectrum, if you will, that is instead of the head, it is the feet. Which is probably the place we need to start in our devotion to God, in humbleness of heart, as we pour out our spirit to Him.

I remember seeing a painting some years ago that had Jesus and Mary of Magdala by the shore of the Sea of Galilee. In it she was drying the feet of Jesus with her hair and a jar of ungulent oils was beside them ready for use.

I think the oil is the consciousness of God. It's a reference to the level of consciousness we have attained. We are not a body with consciousness inside it. We are Gods pure consciousness formed into a body. I think the ones with low oil where materialistically minded and their perception of themselves centred around their ego (with an inability to see themselves as they are seen and act accordingly). As such they hadn't recognised who they are on the inside, they are God within, but they had not activated this pure consciousness. You could also call it the Holy Spirit however this can confuse as many today believe you have to recieve this at a point in time, rather then recognising what we have been all along.

Back