The Sign of Jonah

okieinexile

Reaction score
The Sign of Jonah
By Bobby Neal Winters
I first learned of the story of Jonah from my Grampa Sam, only he called it the story of Jonah and the Whale. Grampa was from the old oral tradition and recited the story from memory. It was later that I learned there was no whale in the story as the Bible said it was a fish, it was much later that I learned there was more to the story after Jonah was spit up by the fish, and it was much, much later I learned of the parallels Jesus drew between Jonah’s mission and his own.
My aim in this essay is to explore those parallels to a greater extent, but before doing so I would like to recap the story. Those who wish to read it for themselves can do so from the book of Jonah in the Old Testament.
When it was originally pointed out to me that everything in Jonah is backwards, it was as if the scales fell from my eyes. When a prophet of the Lord is called, his answer is supposed to be “Here I am,” and he is then supposed to go do God’s will. Jonah, by way of contrast, got into a boat and headed toward Tarshish, which was used to denote a place very far away like the other end of the world. The boat encounters a storm, and the sailors are terrified. Jonah says it is because he is running from the Lord. Counter to all literary expectations, the sailors only reluctantly cast him into the sea in spite of the fact that he volunteers.
Jonah is then swallowed by a fish and is spit up after three days and nights. Jonah repents his earlier actions and goes to Nineveh where he preaches to them so they might repent. Then, again against all literary expectations, the people of Nineveh do repent.
Meanwhile, Jonah, who is greatly disappointed that the hated people of Nineveh have escaped destruction, goes off to a hill above the city to mope. God causes a gourd vine to grow and shade him from the sun. This makes Jonah happy. Then God sends a cutworm to kill the vine, whereupon Jonah weeps over the loss of the gourd.
God then chides Jonah for weeping over the death of a plant when he had called for the destruction of the city which would not only have caused the death of the people but all their cattle as well.
In the 12th chapter of Matthew and the 11th chapter of Mark, Jesus refers to the sign of Jonas (the word Jonah losing an ‘h’ and picking up an ‘s’ on its way through Greek). The quote from Matthew reads as follows:
But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Christians take this to be a prophecy of Jesus’ death on the Cross and his Resurrection.
I’ve begun to wonder whether the parallels with Jesus ministry stop there. I believe there are a number of other points of correspondence that might confirm the Sign of Jonah for the current evil and adulterous generation.
One of the points of correspondence between Jesus and Jonah would be his reluctance to begin his mission. This is spoken to in John, chapters 2 and 7, where he said that his time has not yet come. Even when his mission begins, it is narrowly focused as we see in this exchange with a woman who was seeking help for her daughter:
But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.
But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.
But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.
This is not quite getting on a boat and heading toward the other end of the world, but it certainly reluctance. Indeed, it is only after Jesus’ death and a dream that Peter had in the 10th chapter of Acts that the church enlarged its mission to include Gentiles.
So Jesus, like Jonah, didn’t preach to the Gentiles until after emerging from three days and nights in the heart of the earth.
Historically, Israel divided into two kingdoms, a northern kingdom called Israel and a southern kingdom called Judah. Israel was conquered by Assyria. Then the Medes conquered Assyria and Judah. This was followed by Persia conquering the Medes. It’s much like one of those posters of a minnow being eaten by a larger fish which is about to be eaten by an even larger fish.
Nineveh was the capital of Assyria. One could think of Nineveh having the relationship to Israel and Jonah that Rome had with Judea and Jesus. The analogy is clear and there is precedent for it as Peter refers to Rome as Babylon in 1 Peter Chapter 5, as we recall Babylon was the capital city of the Persian Empire.
If we accept the correspondence between Nineveh and Rome, then we need to ask whether it is born out. Nineveh repented. Did Rome? The answer is in the affirmative as Christianity grew so quickly that by the fourth century AD it became the recognized religion of the Roman Empire.
Rome converted to Christianity, which itself was the true Israel after the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed.
I will now argue that this was part of Jesus’ plan all along. I base this on the following pair of parables from the 13th chapter of Matthew.
Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:
Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.
Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
It has been noted that mustard is a weed. It is scattered via its tiny seeds and is hard to get rid of. Looking at this from a poetic point of view, one might think of a seed as a Christian missionary and a mustard plant like the church he started.
Just as leaven is worked through the whole loaf, so are Christians as they travel through the Empire. This brings us to another point: The importance of a mission to the city of Rome. While one might convert the entire Empire a city at a time through random wanderings, it would be much more efficient to establish a church in Rome. The world came to Rome to work and then went home to retire. All roads lead to Rome. If a church were established in that city, members of it would be spread all over the Empire, just like yeast in a loaf of bread spreads out from a central source.
So Rome, the Empire, was converted in the story of Jesus just like Nineveh, the city, was in the story of Jonah.
The irony here is that history does not record that Nineveh was ever converted by Jonah. One might argue [and argue and argue] that Jonah is a fictional story with a teaching purpose. Yet in Jesus, the Word of God made flesh, the story is carried out in verifiable historical detail.
(Bobby Winters is Professor of Mathematics and Assistant Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kansas.)

Thanks Okie it was funny to realize that I had grown up thinking it was a whale as well. This was thought provoking I love looking into the OT and seeing Jesus and you did a great job of showing Him with this story.

:)

Thanks Okie it was funny to realize that I had grown up thinking it was a whale as well. This was thought provoking I love looking into the OT and seeing Jesus and you did a great job of showing Him with this story.

:)

Thanks. Hope you are doing well!

Hi, haven't read all of this post yet, but I will, I was wondering whether the Sign of Jonah could be that Jonah cried over a bush but not the people who he wanted God to destroy, I suppose in this day and age there are alot if people who cry over trivial things but not the people, I could be wrong and I will carrying on looking and also I need to read all of Jonah, and post back, would like to discuss more:) i am a simple gal so it may take a while, tee hee

Hi, Okie. I'd like to comment, since this is something I've been thinking about for a while, and I really don't think the story of Jonah can count as a formal prediction of the 3 days, although it seems related. Thanks :)

To what scripture, then, did Jesus appeal on the road to Emaus when it says he explained to them, beginning with Moses and all the prophets, that he would have to suffer and die and be raised after three days? (as he says in Luke 24:46) The three days would probably be indicated by Leviticus 7, after which Jesus would have had some way of proving that Messiah was to be a sacrifice, would have to leave the earth, etc. The story of Jonah is not really a functional proof of the three days, and I don't think it was meant to be one, although its a nice touch.

Leviticus 7:17-18 said:
But the remainder of the flesh of the sacrifice on the third day shall be burnt with fire. And if any of the flesh of the sacrifice of his peace offerings be eaten at all on the third day, it shall not be accepted, neither shall it be imputed unto him that offereth it: it shall be an abomination, and the soul that eateth of it shall bear his iniquity.
Possibly this is combined with Psalm 16 verse 10, among other things, to complete the forumula.
Psalm 16 said:
KJV Psalm 16:1 {Michtam of David.} Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
2 O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;
3 But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.
4 Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips.
5 The LORD is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.
6 The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.
7 I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.
8 I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.
9 Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.
10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

okieinexile said:
...But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas. For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Christians take this to be a prophecy of Jesus’ death on the Cross and his Resurrection....
Some Christians occasionally take Jonah to be not only a prophecy but a prediction of Jesus' death on the cross, which I will neither support nor deny; however Jesus did not call it a prediction of his death. That Jesus mentioned this to them was a stern rebuke. His point was that the only sign he would give to certain individuals was the sign given to the spiritually adulterous Ninevites. Signs are notoriously useless for building basic faith, which really depends upon our attitude towards God. They are also useless for distinguishing true prophets from false ones. (Deut 13:2-3)

Jonah is a prime example of someone lacking in faith, since his reaction to God was not one of faith, even though he was a prophet. The story is odd in that the Ninevites have faith and are saved, but Jonah has not. An apostle of Jesus later commented about some people making trouble for the early church: "Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?" (James 2:18-20). Notice that the devils mentioned, just like Jonah, believe and tremble. Jonah is a prime example, because he had works but no faith -- aka he really did not have an attitude of faith. His death in the sea typifies the death of the faithless (like the Egyptians in the Red Sea), while Ninevah typifies heartfelt appreciation for and faith in God since they repented.

Signs are notoriously useless for building basic faith, which really depends upon our attitude towards God.
Aaparently some signs were in evidence that demonstrated supernatural powers that were not of the L-rd.

(Signs)are also useless for distinguishing true prophets from false ones. (Deut 13:2-3)
One might say that G-d's response to the Ninevites' repentance was itself a sign.

It appears the false prophets are identified based on their attempt to sell people on false gods. As a demonstration of G-d's mercy, Nineveh being spared could be seen as a validation of the L-rd's favorable attitude toward the heathen of Nineveh.

Jonah is a prime example of someone lacking in faith, since his reaction to God was not one of faith, even though he was a prophet. The story is odd in that the Ninevites have faith and are saved, but Jonah has not.
There may have been an element of lack of faith in relation to Jonah expecting G-d to destroy Nineveh, which was apparently populated by heathen.

I wonder if the more important theme is G-d responsiveness and willingness to extend grace to all people - not just to the chosen people of Israel who thought they had an exclusive deal with the L-rd and therefore believed the L-rd sided with them against the heathen of Nineveh and who were apparently disappointed when the destruction of Nineveh was averted by the heathen's submission to the L-rd.

Netti-Netti said:
I wonder if the more important theme is G-d responsiveness and willingness to extend grace to all people - not just to the chosen people of Israel who thought they had an exclusive deal with the L-rd and therefore believed the L-rd sided with them against the heathen of Nineveh and who were apparently disappointed when the destruction of Nineveh was averted by the heathen's submission to the L-rd.
Ok. Jonah's attitude is probably not the main thing. Also, I'm sure he was a sincere and well meaning prophet. I don't think the Israelites thought they had an exclusive deal so that they could simply chalk Nineveh up as scum. I have heard that Nineveh was a loathsome oppressive government which viciously opposed and harassed Israel and gave Jonah many causes to hate them. I think he knew he wasn't supposed to hate them, but it was just really difficult for him. Even after Nineveh repented it eventually (about 100 years later) became a menace to Israel, which Jonah probably knew would happen. Forgiveness in a situation like that is hard.

I don't think the Israelites thought they had an exclusive deal so that they could simply chalk Nineveh up as scum.
Perhaps the issue is more the Israelites' dependence on Yahweh than their attitude toward Nineveh....

What other nations had a special covenant relationship with Yahweh? Wasn't it the "children of Israel" who were promised that they would be "a special treasure unto me above all people"? ~Exodus 19:5

Who else did Yahweh side with consistently to demonstrate His power vis a vis pagans who worshipped false gods? Who else besides the Israelites could count on Yahweh to bestow miracles upon them - like parting the Red Sea and crushing the Amorites?

Maybe the term "exclusive deal" is overstating it, but you see what I mean.

Understandably, because of the special relationship they had with Yahweh, the Israelites saw themselves as favored. Perhaps their possessivenes toward Yahweh and trusting Him to help them fight their battles warrants further discussion. Maybe somethig about the potential problem of faith going to someone's head?.....

I agree that faith does sometimes go to their heads, however that is just my opinion I get by the their public history of repenting and un-repenting, etc. I think its important for their faith to go to their heads sometimes, so they can find out just how solid their deal really is. If they were always anxious about it, then it wouldn't really be solid at all. As for current events, I cannot seem to get a real feel for what is going on in the Middle East right now. I don't know how big the secular vs. religious groups are and its really hard to tell who's really secular and what people think, so I don't know if faith is going to their heads right now or if they're at the stage where they are backsliding or repenting or what. Does anybody know? I presume it was probably a similar situation in Jonah's time.

I agree that faith does sometimes go to their heads, however that is just my opinion I get by the their public history of repenting and un-repenting, etc. I think its important for their faith to go to their heads sometimes, so they can find out just how solid their deal really is.

For sure, and I would say that applies to us all.

The Prophetic Tradition is essentially a tradition of cultural criticism that reflects a basic openess to correction. Time and again we are confronted with the need to humble ourselves even when we presume to represent a holy cause - or should I say especially when we presume to represent a holy cause.

We are invariably more certain of our righteousness than we ought to be. Further, it is pretty much inevitable that we'll lose perspective and that our actions will fall short of what we intended even though we meant well.

We can expect to be criticized. Obviously it's easier to take if we're the ones doing the criticizing. But this risks undue optimism, sentimentality, relativism, or tragic self-delusion.

In order that we may continue to grow in Grace. we should remain open to correction at all times and in all matters, especially our own religious understandings - like notion that we can anticipate G-d's providential politics or the notion that G-d can be counted on to do our bidding. Both these notions are forms of serious arrogance and blindness that potentially keep us from seeing the immediacy of G-d's activity in the world.

Which reminds me: It is said that all Biblical prophesies were already operative when they were announced. This perspective can be applied to the Word in general. There are Biblical passages that let us know that salvation is immanent - "My salvation will not delay" - or they affirm that it's already here: "My salvation has gone forth." It only requires genuine acceptance to be effectuated.

"Using a synthesis of scriptural material drawn from the Old and New Testaments, the Apocrypha , The Dead Sea Scrolls, The Nag Hammadi Library, and some of the world's great poetry, as in the beginning, it describes and teaches a single moral Law, a single moral principle, a single test of faith, and delivers on the Promise of its own proof; one in which the reality and will of God responds directly to an act of perfect faith with a demonstration of his omnipotence, an individual intervention into the natural world, 'raising' up the man, correcting human nature by a change in natural law, altering biology, consciousness and human ethical perception beyond all natural evolutionary boundaries. Intended to be understood metaphorically, where 'death' and darkness are ignorance and 'Life' and light are knowledge, this personal experience of transcendent power and moral purpose is our 'Resurrection' , the Sign of Jonah and justification for faith; the confirmation of a covenant between man and God. By this act of 'creation', on a new, perfectly objective foundation of moral principle, conduct and virtue, true morality and the good 'Life' begins."

IMHO, Jonah was real. What is fictitious is a literal interpretation of his dream, which, between the rem phase of sleeping and the awaken state, it had become a vision. Yes, it was all a dream. Jonah did not rund away from God, he did not go down to Joppa, did not take that boat and was not cast into the sea to be swalled up by a whale. He did hate Nineveh; but hen again, Assyria was hated by every one in Israel for the troubles Assyria was causing during the last years to both North and Southern kingdoms: Israel, the Ten Tribes and Judah.

Then, in a dream of the night, which used to be the means God, metaporically, would make His will known to the prophets, according to Numbers 12:6, Jonah was made to understand that the Jewish light could not cease shining upon the nations, since it was by means of Israel that God makes Himself known in the sight of the nations. (Ezek. 20:41) Then, Jonah put asside his grudge for Nineveh and went to warn the Assyrian nation of impending danger. The Assyrians embraced the message and the danger tuned out to be only a conditional prediction that did not get fufilled.
Ben

IMHO, Jonah was real. What is fictitious is a literal interpretation of his dream, which, between the rem phase of sleeping and the awaken state, it had become a vision. Yes, it was all a dream. Jonah did not rund away from God, he did not go down to Joppa, did not take that boat and was not cast into the sea to be swalled up by a whale. He did hate Nineveh; but hen again, Assyria was hated by every one in Israel for the troubles Assyria was causing during the last years to both North and Southern kingdoms: Israel, the Ten Tribes and Judah.

Then, in a dream of the night, which used to be the means God, metaporically, would make His will known to the prophets, according to Numbers 12:6, Jonah was made to understand that the Jewish light could not cease shining upon the nations, since it was by means of Israel that God makes Himself known in the sight of the nations. (Ezek. 20:41) Then, Jonah put asside his grudge for Nineveh and went to warn the Assyrian nation of impending danger. The Assyrians embraced the message and the danger tuned out to be only a conditional prediction that did not get fufilled.
Ben

the whale represented a female , had nothing to do with weight so please dont apply that its symbolic because of how long a whale takes to give birth. You may want to do some research on this truth instead of the concept of him being swallowed by a sea creature .

Ben

The time in the belly of the whale is really meant to be the time the woman is pregnant with this sign and is associated with rev. Notice the time span is the same and in the new testament it says the only sign given is the sign of jonah. Notice the 3 days , notice 3 days till resurrection of the body. Can you see the connection. It refers to resurrection. So in conclusion the sign of jonah is resurrection of a body.

the whale represented a female , had nothing to do with weight so please dont apply that its symbolic because of how long a whale takes to give birth. You may want to do some research on this truth instead of the concept of him being swallowed by a sea creature .

In the case of Jonah, it was an allegory, which points to the love of God for all humanity and the role of Israel in the Counsel of God. This is a Jewish issue in the Jewish Scriptures that must be interpreted Jewishly and not according to tenents of another religion.
Ben

The time in the belly of the whale is really meant to be the time the woman is pregnant with this sign and is associated with rev. Notice the time span is the same and in the new testament it says the only sign given is the sign of jonah. Notice the 3 days , notice 3 days till resurrection of the body. Can you see the connection. It refers to resurrection. So in conclusion the sign of jonah is resurrection of a body.

No, I cannot see the connection for the following reason:

The Hoax of the Three Days and Three Nights

On the third day or in three days, simply means after a short period of time. (Hosea 6:2)

Night or day for three days, as we have in the request of Esther to fast for her, means three days or three nights whether one follows the tradition to fast by day or by night. Those terms were used here because it was in the Diaspora where most Persians followed the tradition to fast by night. So, Esther's maids who were not Jewish, would share Esther's pain by showing their solidarity with their night fast. (Esther 4:16)

The case of Jonah dispenses all explanation because it happened during a vision. Therefore metaphorical language. That could be the entire three days and three nights, since everything is possible in a vision or dream. (Jonah 2:1)

Now, for the three days and three nights we are talking about, for Jesus to spend in the tomb, according to Matthew 12:40, the writer must have had a very poor insight about parables or metaphorical language to draw his prophecy in the terms of Jonah's allegory. If he had used the language of Esther or Hosea, he could have saved his prophecy from being a hoax, but now he must account for the whole three days and three nights or parts thereof.

We don't even need another gospel writer to contradict the one of Matthew. This contradicts himself as he declares that the next day, the one following the Day of Preparation, the chief Priests asked Pilate for a guard of soldiers to watch the tomb area for three days. (Mat. 27:62-64) The Jewish Preparation Day is always Friday, and the following day is the Sabbath.

Then, after that Sabbath, as the first day was dawning, the women went to see the sepulcher, there was an earthquake, an "angel" came down from Heaven, removed the stone, and the tomb was empty. Someone had cheated the angel by raising Jesus from there long before the "angel" could at least be an eyewitness to the resurrection.

Based on the Jewish method that a whole day or night can be accounted for any part of the day or night, we can consider the first day for those minutes that took Joseph of Arimathea to get Jesus into the tomb before sunset. The first night from sunset to sundawn of Saturday, the second day from sundawn Saturday to sunset that Saturday, and the second night from sunset that Saturday to the sundawn of the first day. It was still dark when the women arrived at the tomb to find it empty. Therefore we are missing a whole day and a whole night to save Matthew 12:40 from becoming a prophetical hoax and a classical contradiction in the NT.

Any volunteers to solve this puzzle?

Ben

Volunteer? I don't know anything about the books in question other than having read them a couple of times, but I will try. In these old posts I seem to be projecting my own thoughts about NT faith issues onto whatever the thread is supposed to be about. Lets just forget them. For the subject at hand I've put together an ordinal time line based on verses in Matthew both to check you and to make it clear. Also, I have a question about Sabbaths and Passovers, Shabbats and Pesachs.

Questions about when the day of preparation would be: Jesus predicts his death will be just before 'Pesach' which in English is 'Passover' (Matthew 26:1). Is the day of preparation that you've mentioned referring to a preparation for Pesach or is it preparation for a typical Sabbath? This is central to what you are saying. I am told there was no specific date for a Passover, that it moved about on a modern Julian calendar, but a Sabbath preparation would be on a Friday before Evening. Obviously Jesus appearance at the tomb occurs on a Saturday. If Jesus is crucified on Friday, then of course his resurrection was Saturday and we must consider his preparation for burial to be part of the 3 days, but if the Passover was a different day of the week such as a Wednesday or Thursday, then the three days would be accounted differently.

Ordinal Timeline
  • Jesus is 'Prepared for burial' possibly two days previous to his death (Mat 26:12), and
  • Jesus is arrested the same night, also it is the night that he predicts his crucifixion.
  • He is arrested before roosters (nature's alarm clocks) crow in the morning (Mat 26:34)
  • Jesus is crucified when he predicts, and then 'Joseph of Arimathea' requests the body of Jesus the same night of crucifixion (Mat 27:50), and he wraps the corpse with spices and puts it in a tomb.
  • Then soldiers are placed at the tomb (Mat 27:65) with an official Roman seal on it.
  • Altogether he is killed, wrapped, entombed and the tomb sealed all on the day of preparation before nightfall.*
  • That Sabbath, Women approach Jesus tomb (or sepulcher) and there is a second earthquake. (Mat 28:2).
  • During the earthquake a mighty & shiny angel rolls the tombstone away from the tomb. (Tombstones were curved and rollable, heavy and sat in a concave groove.)

*About Days for newbies: Days in Jesus' culture went from evening to evening -- not from 12 midnight to 12 midnight. When the 'Cock crows' in the story of Matthew, its not the start of a new day but still the same day. Jesus is arrested and killed on the same 'Day' but it is a night-->day not a day-->night as you would typically think of a day. He is arrested at night and killed in the morning but this all occurs on the same day.

Based on the Jewish method that a whole day or night can be accounted for any part of the day or night, we can consider the first day for those minutes that took Joseph of Arimathea to get Jesus into the tomb before sunset. The first night from sunset to sundawn of Saturday, the second day from sundawn Saturday to sunset that Saturday, and the second night from sunset that Saturday to the sundawn of the first day. It was still dark when the women arrived at the tomb to find it empty. Therefore we are missing a whole day and a whole night to save Matthew 12:40 from becoming a prophetical hoax and a classical contradiction in the NT.

Any volunteers to solve this puzzle?

Ben

The problem comes from separating the day from the night. Jesus was in the tomb three days. Day one: the last few moments of day light. Day two: the evening and the morning. Day three: the evening and a few moments of morning.

The true sign of Jonah is what happened thereafter with the heirs of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Elijah, etc converting Ninevah (ie Rome).

Your temple was destroyed and only the Temple of Jesus' body is left to perform the continuing sacrifice.

The problem comes from separating the day from the night. Jesus was in the tomb three days. Day one: the last few moments of day light. Day two: the evening and the morning. Day three: the evening and a few moments of morning.

The true sign of Jonah is what happened thereafter with the heirs of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Elijah, etc converting Ninevah (ie Rome).

Your temple was destroyed and only the Temple of Jesus' body is left to perform the continuing sacrifice.
The sign of jonah is resurrection of the body. the whale thing was symbolic.

The sign of jonah is resurrection of the body. the whale thing was symbolic.

I get so tired of bad sacrafice. Holy sacrafice is healing stuff, not harmful. GOD never demands harmful sacrafice.

Back