Kahil Gibran

T

Tao_Equus

Author of The Prophet and Jesus: Son of Man amongst others. I was wondering to what extent is Kahil Gibran accepted, loathed or venerated by the average Christian?

Tao

Of all the titles out there, the average Christian is not one that currently fits me(lol, just a matter of time before the rest move so I end up in the middle)....but I like Gibran...some good stuff there.

I've heard the name, not read any of the books. The Prophet has been recommended to me by a few people, so I'll probably check it out some day. Kind of along the lines of a free mystic in his writings, I think.

Last edited:
Never heard of "Jesus Son of Man". What's it about? (just kidding)

Would you give me the gist of it?

yes , I have read "the Prophet" a long time ago in student days. Oh .....those idealist times.....he would be one of those writers to create a spark of interest in the young soul.

I enjoy his writing and his artwork. Also, I think there is an old thread concerning him around here somewhere if you are interested. Don't remember if it went into much detail. (I'd look it up but I gotta go get ready to visit my Dad for the weekend.)

InPeace,
InLove

Okay pm me with your info, and I will send it down to you :)
Couldn't you just read it to us?

I wonder if that is copywrite infringement...

I guess it would be...recording...but what if one just read like bedtime stories and put it out on some streaming audio...would that be infringement...because someone could record it?

I'd like someone to read Gibran to me....sounds like a job for my kids...turnabout is fairplay, I'm gonna start having them read bedtime stories to me...

Hey ...we're in the Christian forum and being so nice !?

awwwww

(.....was Kahil Gibran a Christian?)

Hey ...we're in the Christian forum and being so nice !?

awwwww

(.....was Kahil Gibran a Christian?)
There's a new deputy in town. And the Sheriff will allow me to carry a gun, but only gives me one bullet and I have to keep it buttoned in my shirt pocket.

But I've got a flower behind my ear, and love in my heart and I will use them first....stand back though powerful stuff...

speshly if you're llergic.

Back on topic he was born into an Ottoman Christian family....one that contemplates with his feet up. This is old school stuff prior to the current wave of Recliner Christians and not to be confused with the more woodsy Hammock Christians. (or those hippy Bean Bag Christians or the New Age Futon Christians)

ps...this is what our minister reads at Baptisms at our church...(oh and we don't use water...breath and rose petals)

On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.
I think I was first introduced to the Prophet in Junior High as a reading project...I've not understood all I've read of his...but do enjoy it.

Never heard of "Jesus Son of Man". What's it about? (just kidding)

Would you give me the gist of it?

It's a series of questions posed to Jesus by different kinds of people. If you're going to get it I wont say much. Other than it is very simple and quite beautiful.

TE

Wil,

That is my absolute favourite quote of all time on being a parent :)

Back