Some Questions if you all would be so kind

Sean H.

Reaction score
I was recently talking to someone and I heard some interesting things from them. If you have any thoughts or responses or opinions, please share them with me, I'd appreciate it. :D

1. The man I was talking to said that in the commentary of one of his bibles for Genesis, that in the second line "The earth was formless and void" that it said that the word "was" could also be translated as "became."

I am aware that there are other translations, but to illustrate the point he was trying to make, go in line 2, and replace was with became for the first sentence part.

Genesis, New American Study Bible.

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

At any rate, I have never seen or heard this before. I was curious if any of you had.

2. I was told that there were 2 quotes in the Bible which referred to striking a lamb and the flock would disperse, or striking a sheep, or striking a heel, or something like that. Have any of you ever heard or know such a quote?

3. Is there a place in the Bible with Paul preaching the Sabbath, and while he is doing so, he tells his listeners to be wary of what he is saying and to be sure that what he is saying is true?

4. I keep on hearing the phrase "Accept Christ as your personal Savior" I was wondering if there were any good quotes that you all know that go along with this idea :)

Namaste Sean,

Welcome aboard and great questions...some of our more learned types will be able to address your was and became question... Someone who can look at the Hebrew, Greek, Latin, Coptic translations and give you some more info...

for me it lends to some contemplation if you replace them all...

The earth was (became) formless and void, and darkness was (became) over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was (became) moving over the surface of the waters.

Anyhow...its late...I'm tired...I' look forward to more discussion...

Hi Sean

1. The man I was talking to said that in the commentary of one of his bibles for Genesis, that in the second line "The earth was formless and void" that it said that the word "was" could also be translated as "became."

Maybe BB could answer this question since its a translation issue. I have heard this also in a discussion of the Gap Theory

according to the KJV OT hebrew lexicon this is what is listed

Hayah
to be, become, come to pass, exist, happen, fall out
  1. (Qal)
    1. ----- 1a
  2. to happen, fall out, occur, take place, come about, come to pass 1a
  3. to come about, come to pass
    1. to come into being, become 1a
  4. to arise, appear, come 1a
  5. to become 1a
    1. to become 1a
    2. to become like 1a
    3. to be instituted, be established
    4. to be 1a
  6. to exist, be in existence 1a
  7. to abide, remain, continue (with word of place or time) 1a
  8. to stand, lie, be in, be at, be situated (with word of locality) 1a
  9. to accompany, be with
  10. (Niphal)
    1. to occur, come to pass, be done, be brought
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]King James Word Usage - Total: 75[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]was, come to pass, came, has been, were happened, become, pertained, better for thee[/FONT]

I am aware that there are other translations, but to illustrate the point he was trying to make, go in line 2, and replace was with became for the first sentence part.

Genesis, New American Study Bible.

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

At any rate, I have never seen or heard this before. I was curious if any of you had.

2. I was told that there were 2 quotes in the Bible which referred to striking a lamb and the flock would disperse, or striking a sheep, or striking a heel, or something like that. Have any of you ever heard or know such a quote?

2Sam 24:17 Then David spoke to the Lord when he saw the angel who was striking the people, and said, "Surely I have sinned, and I have done wickedly; but these sheep, what have they done? Let Your hand, I pray, be against me and against my father's house."

you can go into crosswalk.com and search for strike and get a lot..

3. Is there a place in the Bible with Paul preaching the Sabbath, and while he is doing so, he tells his listeners to be wary of what he is saying and to be sure that what he is saying is true?

We are taught to test everything

4. I keep on hearing the phrase "Accept Christ as your personal Savior" I was wondering if there were any good quotes that you all know that go along with this idea

This concept comes from the fact that Jesus came so that we may have a personal relationship with God. Jesus came as our Savior and its a personal thing between each individual person and their maker. Accepting is the same thing as believing all you have to do is read John 3:16 to know this.

John 20:27 Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing." 28 And Thomas answered and said to HiM "My Lord and my God!" 29 Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." 30 And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Thanks for the thought provoking questions :)

or striking a heel, or something like that. Have any of you ever heard or know such a quote?
Genesis 3;15 comes to mind ,
And I shall put enmity between you and the woman and between your seed and her seed. He will bruise you in the head and you will bruise him in the heel."...................... did you know that this is the first prophecy in the bible , and it is not refering to the litral woman eve, or the litral serpent, but it is an on going enmity between 2 seeds, in the final outcome to this prophecy satan the devil will be fatally wounded , but the bruiseing in the heel of the other seed was not fatal because Jesus was resurrected , a bruise in the head is worse than a bruise in the heel .

Back