Science and Philosophy Quotes

Pathless

Fiercely Interdependent
Reaction score
Thought I'd start another quote thread, this one for interesting musings on science and the nature of the universe.

I'll start with A. Huxley:

At any given moment, life is completely senseless. But viewed over a period, it seems to reveal itself as an organism existing in time, having a purpose, trending in a certain direction.

--Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

A couple of old favourites from Uncle Albert,

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

and

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

"Our liberation does not come from liberating our desires, but our liberation comes from our enslavement to God." Imam Zaid Shakir

"It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens." Bahaullah

“The Bible shows the way to go to heaven, not the way the heavens go”. Galileo Galilei

"Our liberation does not come from liberating our desires, but our liberation comes from our enslavement to God." Imam Zaid ShakirI intensely dislike that one.

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

I intensely like that one.

A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education. George Bernard Shaw

Metaphysics is a dark ocean without shores or lighthouse, strewn with many a philosophic wreck. Kant

Philosophy is at once the most sublime and the most trivial of human pursuits. William James

One mans thoughts are as a wave from the ocean of humanity pounding the shore of time. But sometimes a single wave will topple a mighty stack. Moi

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
--Albert Einstein

Reminds me of another quote from Einstein:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Reminds me of another quote from Einstein:

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."
**nods** Yup! It's a living thing. :cool:

"Science is magic that works."

--Kurt Vonnegut
American novelist; author of 14 novels (1922-)

"No inquisitive mind will be content to be ignorant."

--Thomas Jefferson
American politician and president; author of the Declaration of Independence (1743-1826)

"A man ought to read just as inclination leads him; for what he reads as a task will do him little good."

--Samuel Johnson
English writer (1678-1851)

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education."

--Albert Einstein
German Jewish physicist; Nobel Prize laureate in physics - 1921 (1879-1955)

"I am beginning to suspect all elaborate and special systems of education. They seem to me to be built upon the supposition that every child is a kind of idiot who must be taught to think. Whereas, if the child is left to himself, he will think more and better, if less showily. Let him go and come freely, let him touch real things and combine his impressions for himself, instead of sitting indoors at a little round table, while a sweet-voiced teacher suggests that he build a stone wall with his wooden blocks, or make a rainbow out of strips of coloured paper, or plant straw trees in bead flower-pots. Such teaching fills the mind with artificial associations that must be got rid of, before the child can develop independent ideas out of actual experience."

--Anne Sullivan
American educator (1866-1936); taught and worked with Helen Keller from 1887-1925

"Real reform will jettison the deadly belief that ordinary children are too stupid to be partners in their own educations ... kids need to understand that nobody on earth can give you an education except yourself."

--John Taylor Gatto
American writer and education reform activist, three-time New York State Teacher of the Year; author of Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling (1992) and other books

Does this place do stickies? "I say" this would make for a great sticky.

quoteslt.gif
Science is but a perversion of itself unless it has
as its ultimate goal the betterment of humanity.
quotesrt.gif

--Nikola Tesla

"In the last 24 hours, over 200,000 acres of rainforest were destroyed. Thirteen million tons of toxic chemicals were released. Forty-five thousand people died of starvation, thirty-eight thousand of them children. More than one hundred plant or animal species went extinct because of civilized humans.

All of this in one day."

--From Endgame Volume I by Derrick Jensen

"Of the earth's estimated 10 million species, 300,000 have vanished in the past fifty years. Each year, 3,000 to 30,000 species become extinct, and all-time high for the last 65 million years. Within one hundred years, between one-third and two-thirds of all birds, animals, plants, and other species will be lost. Nearly 25 percernt of the 4,630 known mammal species are now threatened with extinction, along with 34 percent of fish, 25 percent of amphibians, 20 percent of reptiles, and 11 percent of birds."

--James Howard Kunstler, The Long Emergency

" There are two ways to live your life: one as though nothing is a miracle; the other as though everything is......."

Albert Einstein

Back