Solving consciousness

I don't understand why people stand around debating stupid shi- like this when half the world is starving and has no running water. We should turn everyone in University philosophy departments out on the street and have them beg for bread and live out of shopping carts for a decade at least, that's what I think.

:D

Pure entertainment old friend, but this gives me an idea for a new thread;)

I am not familiar with this article or with what is intended by "between the horns."

Sorry juantoo3. That's a bit of logic tech-speak from long ago. The idea is that you can respond to a dilemma, i.e., an argument of the form

A or B
A implies C
B implies D
Therefore C or D

in one of two ways. You can take it "by the horns" by showing that one of the alternatives doesn't have the proposed implication. Or you can go "between the horns" by showing that there are other alternatives than the ones proposed.

In the context of the argument we've been discussing, the dilemma is that either things are determined by prior conditions or they are a matter of chance. Chisholm went between the horns by proposing that a person's making something happen is neither determinism nor chance.

Actually we seem to be pretty close on the significant issues. I'd like you to develop your position in more detail so we can dialog further.

Namiste.;)

"Our body and mind are both two and one.”
- Shunryu Suzuki

Aha! So the body and mind are three!
Glad that's all sorted out.

Kindest Regards, DrFree!
Thank you for your response.
DrFree said:
You raise some interesting issues.
I do what I can. :D
DrFree said:
Consciousness is not the same as experiential learning, although it requires it. I think that even animals without consciousness have some level of experiential learning.
I would hazard a guess that all creatures have some level of experiential learning, certainly any who have through whatever means figured out what is food and what is not, and when it is appropriate to flee. This would include at the very least those critters with minimal brains.

DrFree said:
Let me try an analogy. You have on your computer several programs, a browser, a word processor, maybe a spreadsheet, an address book, a calendar. Each of these programs functions independently. You can give each of these programs data, and teach it, i.e., program it, to respond in certain ways to conditions within that data. I see no reason to characterize that programmed behavior as conscious. But it is behavior; the program actively responds to the conditions it knows about. But your word processor won't change your documents based on conditions recognized by your browser. If you want your documents to reflect those conditions, you must program your word processor to respond to them.
The distinction I would see in using this analogy is that first, the typical home computer does not interface readily between programs without assistance, whereas the human brain (and presumably animal brains in general) tend to cross reference to a great degree. Second, staying with the computer analogy, is that of computing power. I suspect that consciousness requires a great deal of computing power, while “lesser” systems do not require nearly as much. Which is why our “reptilian” brain is sufficient for our autonomic nervous system and the “unconscious” duties performed. Then we step up a notch to our sub-conscious and we have our voluntary systems such as arm and leg movements. Our consciousness actually requires a great referential library of past experiences and memories to draw from and cross reference. Sensory inputs augment the memory library, which is how a particular smell can activate a distant memory. I am thinking that “choice” is a rather vague variable, in that the difference between following a smell to food and deciding randomly whether to travel to the right or the left are really two distinct mental processes.

DrFree said:
The same is true of reflex behavior. The various behaviors of lower animals are independent of one another. When food is available it eats, when a threat is imminent it flees, when a mate is available it breeds. There is likely a prioritization of reflexes that makes flight take precedence over eating, but even that is not necessary. But there is no process that the animal goes through for assessing the relative importance of the food, threat and mate in the current environment.
Perhaps, but what is comprehension? How does a critter “know” what is food and what is not when it is hungry, or what is a mate and what is not when it is “in the mood?” How does a critter distinguish between what is a mate in this moment and a competitor for food in the next, or in the case of mantids and spiders what may be a predator in the next? It seems to me there should be some elemental comprehension before one can begin to define “choice,” otherwise I would think such to be random and / or reflexive reaction.

DrFree said:
Unlike your personal computer (I should say, unlike most personal computers), complex computing systems share their data in a common database. What is learned by any subsystem is available to all of them. To achieve that requires the data to be organized into an integrated model that makes sense not only to each of the individual subsystems, but to the system as a whole. With such complexity, not only can the individual subsystems continue to provide the same functionality, but it is easy to develop relationships among them that prioritize certain behaviors based on an assessment of complex combinations of information. Consciousness is very much like a complex computing system like this. When any of its subsystems learn something about the environment, that information not only affects the behavior of that subsystem, it is available to all of the other subsystems, sometimes fast enough to inhibit the "natural" behavior of the original subsystem.
We have to be careful with encompassing terms like “all” and “any.” I am not so sure that the human memory banks are able to actively assert direct control over the autonomic system, for example. One doesn’t “think” an extra heartbeat, one doesn’t “think” one less colonic spasm. This is not to say that the autonomic system cannot be manipulated, as certain adepts of various eastern traditions have demonstrated, but that typically to the average person the autonomic system is pretty well a sealed unit, or at least a one way unit.

DrFree said:
What this means is that consciousness is the integrated comprehension of the animal's environment, or the knowledge system, for short, which becomes a subsystem of its own to broker the flow of information about conditions among the behavioral subsystems.
In higher order mammals I would agree; they have the capacity, the various programs necessary, and enough “hereditary experience” to facilitate, *if* we are defining consciousness as some form of self-awareness. In that from the conversations I have read with Koko the gorilla, there is a distinct barrier beyond which other animals (including higher apes) do not pass, and across which humans have been quite comfortable for tens of thousands of years at least. That barrier has to do with perception of time, in particular the forward projection of time. Koko, for instance, has a very limited comprehension of “tomorrow,” let alone a year from now or a decade from now or a lifetime from now. So we really need to define what it is you are trying to define with the term consciousness, it is crucial to the discussion. Simply equating that term with choice I suppose can be done, but then it would confuse the discussion as we proceeded. I perceive consciousness really not unlike that definition China Cat provided earlier, something along the lines of self-awareness in combination with an experiential referential library that allows the human mind to “think” on a level that far surpasses any other animal.
DrFree said:
I never mentioned "self-consciousness" or "self-awareness". I thought that the notion of self, like the notion of soul, carries too much philosophical baggage to be introduced into the conversation before laying down some foundations for a discussion of consciousness.

Surely self-consciousness emerges much higher on the evolutionary tree of complexity than "simple" consciousness. We can speculate on how that happened, but I'm not sure it would be to the point.
Very well, my bad, and I am certain I bring dismay to my Buddhist friends when I reference self, but I have to work with what I have at my disposal and how I relate and understand things and try to “PC” it later. If I spend too much focus on PC upfront I tend to lose sight of what I am trying to convey, so I would rather at least make some feeble effort and then refine my presentation as I go.
Self-awareness is probably in some form in fairly simple animals, like the mosquito you mentioned. At least by the time the evolutionary chain created brains in fishes, there appears to be some sense of “self” within the greater environmental context. No doubt a simple understanding, but I would think an established referential as to what is food, what is a mate, etc. But how much of this is sub-conscious? How much is intuition / instinct?
DrFree said:
(No)…adequate theories of human behavior that don't involve recognition of the person as a thinking, choosing individual. That rules out pure physics or pure chemistry or pure biology as adequate theories.
I suppose it depends who one asks; I have certainly encountered more than one individual who fearlessly and vainly tried. Typically in my experience they tend to be overzealous atheists.
One previous discussion: http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/dialougue-with-juan-6400.html#post88358
This relates more with some of my earlier comments.
This one: http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/the-relation-of-atheism-to-6109.html
I believe it is the source for the preceding link-discussion,
And: http://www.comparative-religion.com/forum/creationism-intelligent-design-evolution-or-6115.html
Wherein there was a bit of point / counter-point discussion regarding what here is called reductionism and biochemical influence on the brain.
DrFree said:
Everything we do does involve physical/chemical/biological processes, but human behavior is much more than that. But it is not more by the addition of souls or minds or selves as objects in the middle of the process that constitutes the behavior.
A much more useful approach is to think of the self as the whole person, or the person as a whole. This is to reject any total reduction of the behavior of systems to a mere sum of the behaviors of the components of the system.
I think the sages of the ages have grappled with the seat of the soul and of the emotions for millenia. I always get a little tickle thinking about how some of those emotions we now associate with the heart were in the Old Testament associated with the bowels (and then I hear my mom in my head saying “don’t get your bowels in an uproar!). The location of the soul is just as difficult, I doubt it is the brain or the heart alone but I have no way of demonstrating just what it might be. I distinguish between mind and soul, in that a person may lose their mind (go crazy or vegetative) and still maintain a soul until such time as the breath of life escapes them. I am inclined to think the “attachment” is in the belly (I visualize around the navel area), but that is based primarily on an obscure passage in the writings of Solomon along with some questionable material I read dealing with soul transference by Tibetan monks between two people. I don’t really know, but I am convinced reasonably well that mind and soul-spirit are two completely differing entities.

DrFree said:
Note that reductionism is rejected by chaos/complexity theory, both of which recognize that lower level details are too complex to ever enable prediction of the system. Hofstadter points out that with regard to conscious behavior, in many cases the details of the lower level are virtually irrelevant to understanding the system.

So whatever sins I have committed, reductionism is not one of them.
I would be interested in seeing this rejection of reductionism by chaos theory.
DrFree said:
…that does not mean that you are competing with your body. You have one set of behaviors that predispose you toward alcohol; you have another that objects to alcoholism. There are many examples of competing desires. But both sets of behaviors are part of you. They both involve your body, your feelings and your consciousness. The body is not a monolith that you have to struggle with. A person is a complex, conscious and physical system of systems that simultaneously compete and cooperate.
I don’t envision competing with my body. I see behavior as action / activity. In the sense that electrons run around inside the brain I suppose there is activity, but that is the activity of the electrons. Until the activity of the electrons is directed willfully to make my arm pick up a beer, it is not what I consider behavior. I may have random thoughts of jumping off the Empire State building, but it is not behavior until I actually jump.
If I had to create an analogy, I suppose it would be that of a running automobile; in effect I serve the function of the brain, the engine serves the function of the vital organs, and the wheels serve the function of limbs. I can sit in the car all day, but until I turn the steering wheel or step on the gas nothing really happens except the autonomic systems. Now, once I engage a gear and give a little throttle, the car begins to behave in the manner I as the brain direct, but until then the car simply is existing. So unless one considers inactivity as a form of activity, I am a little puzzled.
I don’t see a struggle with the body (unless one is physically challenged) because we use it so much that we are intimately familiar with each other as it were. If you had to reprogram your brain to work your hand after a stroke, then I could understand the idea of struggle with the brain, but otherwise the programming that begins at birth (in the womb?) with the mind-body connection just becomes so casual and second nature to most of us.
Now, where I can see challenge and struggle is with something like trying to kick an addiction. Once the body is comfortable with a drug or activity or some other familiar ritual, it can be a great struggle to let that ritual go, even if the mind knows better and can devise very rational reasons why to quit. This is why I suggest that addiction and addictive behavior is an aggravating factor in what it is you are attempting to look at.

Last edited:
Continued, sorry.

DrFree said:
You still haven't presented your evidence for that claim. I'm waiting.
Ah, sages have been arguing this for centuries and you wish me to solve it for you in an afternoon? And we hardly know each other!

As was brought to my attention recently, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Besides, I did point to something that suggests a possibility already earlier in this discussion. I noticed it was overlooked in the response. Perhaps you might go back and reread…

DrFree said:
...you can respond to a dilemma, i.e., an argument of the form

A or B
A implies C
B implies D
Therefore C or D

in one of two ways. You can take it "by the horns" by showing that one of the alternatives doesn't have the proposed implication. Or you can go "between the horns" by showing that there are other alternatives than the ones proposed.
Ah, the horns of a dilemma. Now I believe I understand. I tend to think in terms of false dichotomy, but the end result is much the same. I try always to leave the door open to third (or more) possibilities. I did think earlier of something that I want to interject and don’t see a good place to do so, and that regards the novelty factor. I am of the impression that a lot of people are of the opinion that because something is new or different that it is inherently superior. I am not one of those people. Superiority must be demonstrated. Perhaps a new way of looking at something is superior to the old way, perhaps it is not, both ways should be considered on their merits and demerits and then weighed against each other. Case in point again being the idea that we are subservient to our natural biology; even if this proves somehow to be true in the strictest sense, what moral and morale benefit does such an attitude provide that is in any way better than the conventional moral systems we already employ? Novelty alone is insufficient, particularly if the end result unravels all the good that the previous system built.

DrFree said:
In the context of the argument we've been discussing, the dilemma is that either things are determined by prior conditions or they are a matter of chance. Chisholm went between the horns by proposing that a person's making something happen is neither determinism nor chance.

Actually we seem to be pretty close on the significant issues. I'd like you to develop your position in more detail so we can dialog further.
I have been thinking in terms of biochemicals (prior conditions) and genetics (chance) because these seem to be the primary arguments of those opposed to concepts of G-d in general and religion in specifics. Apparently this is not always so, but I have yet to hear how this seeming discrepency is resolved by those who acknowledge G-d while clinging to biological subservience.

DrFree said:
Shalom

Kindest Regards, BobX!
BobX said:
The laws of physics do not DETERMINE what happens next, they only delimit a set of alternatives.
I believe I tried to say much the same thing in our earlier discussion, and that we then choose between those alternatives. ;)

I cannot CHOOSE not to be an alcoholic: that is not within the range of possibilities; the way I react to alcohol is part of how I am built. I can choose whether or not to drink. Likewise, I cannot CHOOSE to be heterosexual: the way I respond to males, and fail to respond to females, is part of how I am built. I can choose either to live a life with love in it, or not.

Kindest Regards, BobX!
I cannot CHOOSE not to be an alcoholic: that is not within the range of possibilities; the way I react to alcohol is part of how I am built. I can choose whether or not to drink.
I agree.

Likewise, I cannot CHOOSE to be heterosexual: the way I respond to males, and fail to respond to females, is part of how I am built.
I understand.

I can choose either to live a life with love in it, or not.
I am not certain this argument follows. Again, I am not disagreeing out of any ulterior political motivation. What concerns me is the *nature of emotion.* Emotion is not simply a random thought (closer to an obsession, even perhaps addiction), and it does contain a visceral physical component. The nature of the one emotion of love is complex, and of at least three possible levels according to the Greeks (by extension the New Testament): eros (sex), phileo ("brotherly" love), and agape (respect and awe of the Divine, "love of G-d").

I am not satisfied that emotions are simply the byproduct of hormones and neurochemicals. What relationship is there between emotions and the mind, and conversely what relationship between emotions and the spirit? Are these all tied inextricably? Unfortunately, I don't see any ready answers to this dilemma.

Development of sexuality is only a tiny fraction of this fantastically complex issue we are considering, yet it seems we tend to place an inordinate amount of focus on it. So, more as a reminder than any form of authority:

Freud's Stages of Psychosexual Development
From Kendra Van Wagner,

What is Psychosexual Development?
According to Freud, personality is mostly established by the age of five. Early experiences play a large role in personality development and continue to influence behavior later in life.

Freud's theory of personality development is one of the best known, but also one of the most controversial. Freud believed that personality develops through a series of childhood stages during which the pleasure-seeking energies of the id become focused on certain erogenous areas. This psychosexual energy, or libido, was described as the driving force behind behavior.

If the stages are completed successfully, the result is a healthy personality. If certain issues are not resolved at the appropriate stage, fixation can occur. A fixation is a persistant focus on an earlier psychosexual stage. Until this conflict is resolved, the individual will remain "stuck" in this stage. For example, a person who is fixated at the oral stage may be over-dependent on others and may seek oral stimulation through smoking, drinking, or eating.

What is Psychosexual Development?
1. The Oral Stage
2. The Anal Stage
3. The Phallic Stage
4. The Latent Period
5. The Genital Stage

Freud's Stages of Psychosexual Development - What is Psychosexual Development?

I am certain there are other explanations of sexual development, some pick up where Freud leaves off, some challenge Freud's assertions completely, but I figured this would be a decent place to begin.

More info on the various stages can be accessed through the link.

Last edited:
I am not certain this argument follows. Again, I am not disagreeing out of any ulterior political motivation.
I think your ulterior religious motivation is more important to your stubbornness on this issue than you are willing to admit, even to yourself.
I am not satisfied that emotions are simply the byproduct of hormones and neurochemicals.
No, but that visceral element is an essential prerequisite to some of the deeper feelings, and can't be summoned up by an element of will if it is lacking (you can't "make" yourself get really terrified at a horror movie that has already struck you as silly and just not particularly scary).
some challenge Freud's assertions completely
He was totally ignorant of hormones and neurotransmitters, for no fault of his other than being born too soon.
What he had to say on the particular topic at hand was, "Trying to convince a homosexual to change into a heterosexual has as much prospect of success as the reverse."

I think your ulterior religious motivation is more important to your stubbornness on this issue than you are willing to admit, even to yourself.
Pots n kettles pots n pots. Pots n kettles pots n pots. Pots n kettles n kettles pots n kettles pots n pots. Pots n kettles pots n pots!!

I hope i grow up to be as clever as you!! :)

interesting thread spiderbaby

i think deconstructing the self is useful to help understand it, but we are not those parts. there is no such thing as the ego the conscious and the subconscious [as they are interacting all the time]. such things are descriptions of aspects of the entire.

there are only two things; ‘you’ and the environment. some aspects of the human form are actually as much a part of the environment as what is exterior to it. ...and there is no absolute distinction between what is external and what is internal.

to start with i imagine the universality of everything as ‘the single thought that lasts forever’ whereby all our usual distinctions are cast aside leaving no edges to anything - not physical nor mental, everything is in everything.

Z :)

Hi, Juantoo3,

I've been rereading, and was struck by the following remarks.

The abrogation of responsibility means there is no choice, you are gonna do what your biology makes you do. That's all there is to it. You have no mind of your own to choose, your body chemistry has already made your fate. If you are "lucky," you will be born with a shrewd and calculating mind adept at theft and a suitable body by which you will amass great wealth; and if you are less fortunate, you will remain a hostage to your circumstances from which you cannot arise until your lineage suffers extinction.

While I can concede that civilization has its dark moments with government and institutional religion, it is difficult to deny the overwhelming evolutionary benefit these [choice and responsibility?] have provided our species.

Though I tend to agree, I want to play Devil's Advocate for a moment.

First, the evolutionary benefits would accrue from the illusion of responsible choice. Real free will is not required. As long as people think of themselves as free and responsible, even if their thoughts and actions result from deterministic biological processes, they will create the institutions and practices that are needed for civilization.

There is some scientific evidence for this, which was reported by Doug Hofstadter in his "MetaMagical Themas" in Scientific American so many years ago that I can't point to a date. As I remember, a computer simulation was created based on the so-called Prisoner's Dilemma, you know, the one in which prisoners are offered a deal if they inform on their confederates. The rules of the deal are as follows:
  • If Prisoner A Betrays and Prisoner B Stays Silent, then Prisoner A goes free Prisoner B serves ten years.
  • If Prisoner B Betrays and Prisoner A Stays Silent, then Prisoner B goes free Prisoner A serves ten years.
  • If they both stay silent, then each serves six months.
  • If they both betray, they each serve five years.
Wikipedia offers the following analysis:
The dilemma arises when one assumes that both prisoners only care about minimizing their own jail terms. Each prisoner has two options: to cooperate with his accomplice and stay quiet, or to defect from their implied pact and betray his accomplice in return for a lighter sentence. The outcome of each choice depends on the choice of the accomplice, but each prisoner must choose without knowing what his accomplice has chosen.
When the computer simulation was run, there was a variety of behavior: some betrayed, some stayed silent. Those that betrayed in the initial runs tended to minimize their own jail times.

Hofstadter reported that as the simulation was run over and over, with prisoner's allowed to remember previous occurrences, two interesting phenomena emerged:
  1. Over time the winning strategy (i.e., the one that minimized jail time) was to punish those that betrayed you once, i.e., to betray them the next time you were involved together. Both total forgiveness and holding grudges increased your total jail time.
  2. Over time the occurrence of betrayal diminished. Apparently prisoner's stopped having dealings with those that betrayed.
What is interesting is that a simple computing system, with only a deterministic program without intensionality, real choice, or responsibility evolved to have a taboo against betrayal. This raises interesting questions about morality and the evolution of systems.

Namiste.

Kindest Regards, Z!

Thank you for your contribution.
Z said:
i think deconstructing the self is useful to help understand it, but we are not those parts. there is no such thing as the ego the conscious and the subconscious [as they are interacting all the time]. such things are descriptions of aspects of the entire.

there are only two things; ‘you’ and the environment. some aspects of the human form are actually as much a part of the environment as what is exterior to it. ...and there is no absolute distinction between what is external and what is internal.
On some level I can see this, and even think I might agree. Going back for a moment to my automobile analogy, tearing apart the carburetor to figure out what makes it tick doesn’t mean the carburetor is the sum of a car’s existence. Yet, the carburetor is an integral part without which the sum total cannot properly function.

Z said:
to start with i imagine the universality of everything as ‘the single thought that lasts forever’ whereby all our usual distinctions are cast aside leaving no edges to anything - not physical nor mental, everything is in everything.
I think there are analogies to this in quantum physics, at least as I understand (very layman’s terms), such as spooky action at a distance.

Kindest Regards, DrFree!

Thank you for your contribution as well.
DrFree said:
I want to play Devil's Advocate for a moment.

First, the evolutionary benefits would accrue from the illusion of responsible choice. Real free will is not required. As long as people think of themselves as free and responsible, even if their thoughts and actions result from deterministic biological processes, they will create the institutions and practices that are needed for civilization.
I haven’t given a great deal of thought to this yet, but these are my reactive observations:

Can “free will” be truly classed as free will if it is deterministic? It seems to me there is a gross oxymoronic conflation of terms in so doing.

If free will is not free will, then what is left is predestination. Even if argued as biological imperative, the end result seems to me the same…there is no “choice” to our behavior, therefore there is no “good” nor “bad” behavior. Whether we ascribe that predestination to G-d or genetics, we are subservient slaves to our preordained destiny in spite of any delusion of will on our part. By extension therefore, there are no criminal behaviors, and we are right back to eugenics and survival of the ones who kick butt and make babies, everyone else is pork chops.

DrFree said:
There is some scientific evidence for this, which was reported by Doug Hofstadter in his "MetaMagical Themas" in Scientific American so many years ago that I can't point to a date. As I remember, a computer simulation was created based on the so-called Prisoner's Dilemma, you know, the one in which prisoners are offered a deal if they inform on their confederates. The rules of the deal are as follows:

When the computer simulation was run, there was a variety of behavior: some betrayed, some stayed silent. Those that betrayed in the initial runs tended to minimize their own jail times.
I have seen reference to this game before, although I thank you immensely for the added info. I am not certain I understand the implications you are attributing here. Even as a Devil’s advocate, I fail to understand how this game supports predestiny over free will.

DrFree said:
Hofstadter reported that as the simulation was run over and over, with prisoner's allowed to remember previous occurrences, two interesting phenomena emerged:
1. Over time the winning strategy (i.e., the one that minimized jail time) was to punish those that betrayed you once, i.e., to betray them the next time you were involved together. Both total forgiveness and holding grudges increased your total jail time.
2. Over time the occurrence of betrayal diminished. Apparently prisoner's stopped having dealings with those that betrayed.
What is interesting is that a simple computing system, with only a deterministic program without intensionality, real choice, or responsibility evolved to have a taboo against betrayal. This raises interesting questions about morality and the evolution of systems.
In all fairness to Dr. Hofstadter, what I find with mathematical models and simulations when applied to human behavior is that there are always wildcards, exceptions to the rule. The human component is notoriously fickle and subject to wild extremes in real world situations. Bear in mind, this is a game, and games have rules. Players agree to the rules, or they will find they are not playing the game for very long. Life, on the other hand, is considerably more than a simple game or mathematical model. There are variables, too many variables to count, and wildcards out the wazoo. Just when one thinks they have a workable model, I guarantee some test subject will come along to skew the numbers. It is human nature.

My own mother, G-d love her, would do some of the most bizarre things that I would never have thought to do in a million years. And always when I would question her about such things she would invariably have some justification in her own mind that validated her behavior. No matter how frivolous, no matter how silly, no matter how illogical, no matter how absurd, if she could justify her behavior she found a way. And the thing is, she is not the only by far that I have had the pleasure of knowing in my lifetime that did things in this manner.

Once one “gets the hang” of a game like prisoner’s dilemma (indeed, you point to this in your reference), then there is an unspoken accomplice between the players as they become “experienced” in who to trust and who not to. The problem when applied to real world situations is that one may not get that second chance to apply that experience to the same person again. Life is a series of first encounters. What one learns in a chance encounter with a minor legal misdemeanor may or may not apply to the next chance encounter with an entirely different individual who engages one in a minor fraud. How do the lessons learned from being stolen from apply to becoming a thief? How do the lessons learned from being lied to apply to becoming a liar? There seem to me too many variables to give distinct encompassing answers, and by experience I would also think there are other mitigating factors still, the “situational ethics” always relevant in real world examples. Black is black and white is white, except when there are varying shades of grey. Lying is always wrong, except when it is the lesser evil,…or it gets one out of trouble, …or can be used to justify a creative appropriation of unearned and undeserved wealth, …or? Murder is always wrong…except when the other guy is trying to murder you. Ask anybody, and wrong is wrong, always. Observe somebody, and find out that what is wrong for someone else may not always be wrong for that person being observed. A person who earnestly believes lying is wrong will, by prevailing mathematical percentages, lie at times when deemed necessary or convenient. What is there to make me think that a murderer does not reason in a similar manner? Murder is wrong, except when it is justified, or convenient, or solves another problem or hassle…or when a person is overwhelmed with passionate emotion.

Quick add on concerning the beginning of this paragraph is the variable of contrition...what if one is truly penitent of previous behavior? Is he to be forgiven, or still not to be trusted regardless?

In short, I just don’t get how the prisoner’s dilemma game can in any way definitively provide any devil’s advocacy in terms of free will versus predestination. There are simply too many variables at work in the human psyche, and not all are in any way rational or logical, and most I would hazard a guess are purely emotional ploys for justification in spite of rational reasonability and logic.

BTW, what does any of this have to do with consciousness? (Just thought I’d check and see if you’re paying attention.)

Last edited:
Kindest Regards, BobX!

I have been mulling over this comment:

He (Freud) was totally ignorant of hormones and neurotransmitters, for no fault of his other than being born too soon.
What he had to say on the particular topic at hand was, "Trying to convince a homosexual to change into a heterosexual has as much prospect of success as the reverse."

Sorry to keep coming back to my automobile analogy, but it seems the easiest way to respond to this. A person need not understand the chemical properties of hydrocarbons such as gasoline ( Howstuffworks "How Gasoline Works" ) or how an internal combustion engine operates in order to observe that automobiles are indeed capable of running down the road in a controlled manner. Yes, Freud’s efforts predate the current “understanding” (if understanding is a truly appropriate word to use) as the field of neuro chemicals is brand new and still wide open to interpretation. No wonder Freud predates all of the efforts to confirm, build upon or deny his work considering he is perhaps *the* founding pioneer in comprehending how the human mind works. His focus was not so much on the “how” (neurochemicals and other associated matters) as the the fact that human psychology *exists* and that it works roughly in accord with Freud’s ideation of the Id, Ego and SuperEgo. The Id seems to me to associate roughly with the subconscious (and it is here that behaviorism focuses its efforts), the Ego which I see as the conscious and the SuperEgo which I see as the conscience.

According to Freud, the mind can be divided into two main parts:
1. The conscious mind includes everything that we are aware of. This is the aspect of our mental processing that we can think and talk about rationally. A part of this includes our memory, which is not always part of consciousness but can be retrieved easily at any time and brought into our awareness. Freud called this ordinary memory the preconscious.
2. The unconscious mind is a reservoir of feelings, thoughts, urges, and memories that outside of our conscious awareness. Most of the contents of the unconscious are unacceptable or unpleasant, such as feelings of pain, anxiety, or conflict. According to Freud, the unconscious continues to influence our behavior and experience, even though we are unaware of these underlying influences.
Psychoanalytic Theory - The Conscious and Unconscious Mind
Freud’s work was far too early to try to convince anybody to change from anything into anything else, he was too busy trying to figure out and explain what kinds of anythings existed. Freud’s ignorance of neurochemicals has no bearing on the fact that he was attempting for the first time in modern western history to comprehend how the human mind works. Indeed, the whole field of psychoanalysis is split into two distinct camps. Psychiatry deals with the human mind in part with medication (chemistry), while the field of psychology is quite content to plod along with simple words (counseling) to deal with the human mind. Both camps have a fair degree of success, with neither method being clearly superior to the other.

In other words, Freud’s ignorance of neurochemicals is a red herring argument.
As a professor, I’m certain you knew that. You were just testing me, right? :D

Last edited:
Freud’s work was far too early to try to convince anybody to change from anything into anything else, he was too busy trying to figure out and explain what kinds of anythings existed.
And one of the things he figured out is that no such thing as a "choice" about one's sexual orientation exists.

Kindest Regards, BobX!
And one of the things he figured out is that no such thing as a "choice" about one's sexual orientation exists.
What an interesting claim. I would be very happy to look over the reference in *Freud's* work to support this.

Kindest Regards, BobX!

See the succinct quote from him in post #29.

"Trying to convince a homosexual to change into a heterosexual has as much prospect of success as the reverse."

I googled this with Freud’s name attached and after cruising through more than one hundred hits I could find nothing to attribute this to Freud except your comment on CR. I did find these gems, though, enjoy!

Oedipal stage in the formation of sexuality:
In the normal development the little boy's progress towards heterosexuality, he must pass, as
Freud says [. . .], through the stage of the “positive” Oedipus, a homoerotic identification
with his father, a position of effeminized subordination to the father, as a condition of
finding a model for his own heterosexual role. [. . .] There results from this scheme a
surprising neutralization of polarities: heterosexuality in the male…presupposes a
homosexual phase as the condition of its normal possibility. (quoted in Sedgwick 23)
For most men (especially those that do not have strong male role models to help create a normative
heterosexuality), homosocial relationships with other men reinforce this missing “homosexual
phase.” Homosocial behavior, then, allows men to strengthen their heterosexuality by participating
in activities that might seem homoerotic, like rolling around half-naked, locked with another man in
a sweaty embrace during a fight. By participating without becoming homosexual, the men of Fight
Club strengthen the gender roles that had remained incomplete for so long. But, as Pleck and Clare
would point out, without the original father figure, this homosocial behavior merely serves as a
substitute and still leads to confused gender roles and hyper-masculinity, all symptoms the members
of Fight Club display in their powerless lives.

http://etd.gsu.edu/theses/available/etd-04202007-113340/unrestricted/delfino_andrew_s_200705_ma.pdf

Oedipal conflict. Hill explains this conflict in Adorno’s essay:
Drawing from Freud’s castration complex, Adorno maintains, in classical Freudian terms,
that a healthy negotiation with the power of the father means that ‘a considerable amount of
aggressiveness must be developed in the child against the authority which prevents him from
having his first, but nonetheless his most important satisfactions. . . . By means of
identification he takes the unattackable authority into himself. The authority now turns into
his super-ego’. (113)
But problems occur in forming one’s self-identity when the father is weak or nonexistent, which
challenges the child’s ability to identify with the father or to become conditioned to be a proper
member of society. In those cases, the confused boy instead looks “for a stronger, more powerful
father . . . as it is furnished by fascist imagery” (Adorno quoted in Hill 114). For Hill, Adorno’s
argument adequately explains totalitarian politics’ strong pull among powerless men.
http://etd.gsu.edu/theses/available/etd-04202007-113340/unrestricted/delfino_andrew_s_200705_ma.pdf

The Brain: the Most Important Sex Organ
In terms of modern technology, an examination of the brain under the microscope and with electrical probes reveals a mass of "transistors" with the consistency of custard pudding. The numbers of electrical devices is 30,000,000,000 or 300,000,000,000,000--depending on how you count them--enough to do the job. We are not interested in details here. What is important is that there is a structure with which we think, and that a change in that structure can change the way we think.
The proof lies in the observations that someone who has had a bad bump on the head--or who has a tumor, or a blood clot, or a broken blood vessel in their head--will think differently. They may simply have trouble talking or in moving an arm or a leg. They may collect guns and ammunition, go to the top of a tower and start shooting people--as happened in Texas when a young man had a brain tumor. They may lose the ability to plan their lives, as happened to thousands of people after well-meaning but ignorant physicians cut away the frontal lobes of their brains. They may have hallucinations--perhaps of pink elephants coming down the freeway--after exposing their brains to exotic chemicals such as LSD, mercury, or alcohol.
SOFT MINDS--HARD BRAINS. In the world of computers, the mind of the computer is called "soft-ware. " The software is the information fed into the computer by the user. The software tells the computer how to use its abilities in a specific situation. The soft-ware is rightly so called for it can easily be changed and even destroyed. One slip by the operator of a computer can erase from the computer all its soft-ware. The "hard-ware" of the computer can only be destroyed by use of a hammer, wrench, or soldering-iron.
The human brain's instincts are limited and the mind, the software, is often dominant. People can disrupt the best-laid plans of their instincts. People have the ability to generate their own soft-ware to a remarkable degree. Left alone, a computer is helpless. Left alone, a human can get into all sorts of trouble,
The ability of humans to get into trouble is usually over- weighed by their ability to get themselves out of trouble. It is this ability which makes us think we are the masters of our destiny. We are conceited in thinking we are not limited by our hard-ware: the nearly-rigid structures of our brains. It is only when the brain is damaged that we admit the limitations on our ability to control our own thinking and learning.
In reality we should recognize three divisions: instinct, learning, and thinking. The instincts are built-in plans. Learning is the collecting of information; including what to do about instincts and perhaps how to think. Thinking is the use of instincts and information to solve problems. –emphasis mine, jt3
It is an instinct to shiver when cold. It is good thinking to go indoors, where one has learned there is warmth. It is instinct for a young man to approach a young woman, and good thinking not to approach too fast, having learned that such creatures have instinctive piercing screams and have learned hard slaps.
The overlapping of these descriptions of the activity of our brain is the result of the plasticity of our brain. The brain is easily pushed out of shape, or into better shape. And some brains are different from other brains.
The distinction among instinct, learning, and thinking is not always easy to see.
Is there any innate difference between the brains of boys and the brains of girls? We must decide. The learning and thinking of human beings obscure any such difference. Let us look at the baby rats in the Scientific American for some clues. Besides rats, let us go up the scale of animal complexity and examine the behavior of guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, or monkeys. Let us consider also our own experiences with household pets and farm animals. Universally, we find certain differences.
One of the principal differences we find between boys and girls is that little girls are "nice" and little boys are "troublesome." Males play more roughly. This could be learned by human boys and girls at a very early age, but the tendency is also so widespread among animals as to suggest that the difference is innate. This is not to say that all girls are less aggressive than all boys. It is only that on the average there seems to be a difference.
In addition to such behavior differences as degrees of aggressiveness, patterns of play, and mating, there are also certain behavior patterns associated with nesting and child care. Male and female animals have distinctive behavior patterns.
Parents and teachers know that little girls seem to start learning school things faster than do boys. This may be just because the boys are too busy being troublesome. Observation and tests of very young children suggest that there are real differences in learning ability, on the average. It is 'also reported that boys are less sensitive. to electric shock during their first days of life. Boys also tend to be superior on maze tests, but girls are far superior in verbal ability. Six times as many boys as girls have congenital language problems. It is claimed that girls build basically different kinds of structures with blocks and that girls adapt to novelty more quickly than boys, an aspect of earlier, faster learning.
One of the differences between men and women is that men have a supply of male hormone. It is well known that a castrated dog, cat, bull, or stallion becomes less aggressive than the intact animal. It has been proven that this is due to a lack of the male hormone. On the other hand, human boys and girls from the age of three months to about twelve years have no detectable difference in hormones. In spite of this the little boys pull puppy-dog's tails and disrupt the nursery school classroom if given the chance. Little girls are sugar and spice and everything nice, usually. Their brains seem to differ.
Let us go back to the white rats for some more clues. The male and female rat must cooperate to propagate their species. The male must approach the female. The female must not run away or bite the male. It does no good for them to reverse their roles or their postures. The system only works one way: the male behind the female. Perhaps they could try all combinations until they got it right. They do not. Except for occasional errors, they know what to do. They will do it right even though there was absolutely no chance for them to have learned from observing other rats. The knowledge of how to mate is innate and different for males and females, at least in rats.
As we go up the scale to more intelligent animals, there is a change; instinct is increasingly replaced with learning, and thinking. Nevertheless, even chimpanzee baby boys and baby girls raised in isolation behave in ways that are measurably different. The boys are more likely to engage in rough-and-tumble play--just as for humans-- and the difference could not have been learned.
To tell what is learned and what is innate in humans can be difficult. –emphasis mine, jt3

Homosexuality: Causes and Cures

Edited for space considerations, I encourage any to look at the full text. :D

Back