You

C'mon Snoopy...surely you realize that in our post-modern age we can dispense with all academic rigor in what we choose to reference to base our learned opinions upon, and Harry Potter books, as we all know, contains all of the knowledge and wisdom of the ages. And, what's more it all makes for such entertaining reading. I'm getting really diligent in checking the dumpsters for my very first Harry Potter "find".

flow....:rolleyes:

C'mon Snoopy...surely you realize that in our post-modern age we can dispense with all academic rigor in what we choose to reference to base our learned opinions upon, and Harry Potter books, as we all know, contains all of the knowledge and wisdom of the ages. And, what's more it all makes for such entertaining reading. I'm getting really diligent in checking the dumpsters for my very first Harry Potter "find".

flow....:rolleyes:

You've got quality dumpsters there. :)

s.

Yeah... I scored three dumpster freebies that time. Two Elmore Leonard hardbacks and a Michener Hardback, Mom read the Michener, and I did the Elmores. Great writers, if you seek escapism, and I do quite often.

I guess I can divide the price of the Ballard book you suggested and I've ordered by four to average down the costs of my escapist tendencies. How's your Amazon dividend stream these days Snoop ?

flow....:p

Can I just clear up something here; I know there are occasions where the meanings of words change when they cross the Atlantic.

Over here a "dumpster" is (probably an American word) something full of rubbish.

Whereas, something full of books is called a “book shop.”

This all seems very unfair.:mad:

s.

PS My dividend is about to shoot up again I fear…

Can I just clear up something here; I know there are occasions where the meanings of words change when they cross the Atlantic.

Over here a "dumpster" is (probably an American word) something full of rubbish.

Whereas, something full of books is called a “book shop.”

This all seems very unfair.:mad:

s.

PS My dividend is about to shoot up again I fear…
yes... we call our landfills (places we toss rubbish) the dump...and a mini metal sided container to hold rubbish prior to delivery to the dump...a dumpster...

But we in America buy things for a while and then toss them...in the dumpster...and there is a whole group of people....who get stuff from the dumpsters...

There are entrepreneurs that pick through and grab things clean them up and put them in shops and resell them

There are folks that are trying to survive and if they live in the right place can survive well off dumpsters...

There are freegans who utilize any method to limit their mark on the world...less consumerism...so they aren't trying to survive on dumpsters, but thrive on them

And yes I wouldn't doubt that many a Harry Potter book has found its way to dumpsters...and yes many good books have been found in others trash (just look at how we value books...try to sell them on Ebay)

But conversely it must be noted....that many a bookstore contains shelves full of rubbish!

yes... we call our landfills (places we toss rubbish) the dump...and a mini metal sided container to hold rubbish prior to delivery to the dump...a dumpster...

But we in America buy things for a while and then toss them...in the dumpster...and there is a whole group of people....who get stuff from the dumpsters...

There are entrepreneurs that pick through and grab things clean them up and put them in shops and resell them

There are folks that are trying to survive and if they live in the right place can survive well off dumpsters...

There are freegans who utilize any method to limit their mark on the world...less consumerism...so they aren't trying to survive on dumpsters, but thrive on them

And yes I wouldn't doubt that many a Harry Potter book has found its way to dumpsters...and yes many good books have been found in others trash (just look at how we value books...try to sell them on Ebay)

But conversely it must be noted....that many a bookstore contains shelves full of rubbish!

Thanks for that!:)

Perhaps someone should set up an online version: edumpster.com...

What y'all call a dumpster we call a skip. Crazy huh.

s.

Please Snoopy my friend, concentrate upon decreasing your blood pressure. Whilst I am sure that some dumpsters here in America are filled with books on a regular basis, I found mine piled on the ground in a stack of less desirable volumes (for me) during my morning constitutional.

So you see, some sympathetic souls here know that others will not always refuse their refuse, and they leave it in plain sight outside of the dumpsters in order to minimize the necessity of diving to obtain the goodies and possibly inviting injury in the process.

Many of you may call our fair abode in the desert "sin city", but nobody may say that we are uncivilized, uncaring, and not without a studied consideration of the needs of our fellow human beings.

Maybe you can buy new rubbish containers with your new found largesse. My daughter bought me a doozy last Christmas. It has an automatic lid and opens its dark and forboding maw whenever I walk by. Just looks lovely there next to my fridge. And so chic looking in its brushed stainless and black trimmed solitude.

And see how crazy naming things can get ? One of our best selling peanut butters is named "Skip...py". Go figure !

Great, now my last post looks more inane than usual :p

s.

Dumbledore told Harry that it is not our capabilities that make us who we are but our choices.

I'm inclined to think he was right.

Namiste.
We are defined by our free will? Are we stealing the personhood of someone when we deny them free will? Not the best fit, imo.

We are defined by our free will? Are we stealing the personhood of someone when we deny them free will? Not the best fit, imo.
Yes and yes...imo

It is our choices that develop who we are.

If our choices are bad in the eyes of those in power the typical response is to imprison, fine, or execute. The latter denies the personhood, the first denies free will and the middle attempts to modify behaviour....now that person could feel that his personhood was being denied....or may modify and decide it was a blessing that he was able to seek a higher personhood....again this being in the eyes of the society which he is in....in another cosiety s/he may not have been an issue at all....

What is a person. That's difficult. In Christianity God is three persons. In the USA, for certain legal reasons, a corporation is a person.

Yet in terms of physical make-up each of us is a totally different person from the one we were seven years ago, because all our body cells have changed. In this case it is only the internal narrative of our lives as recalled in our memory that identifies us as the same person that we were born as.

Then again it is said of some people suffering from brain damage or dementia that they have become "a different person", while of course in law they are still the same.

Is my pet cat a person? Does a person have to be human? What about God?
Any ideas?

What is a person. That's difficult.

That's why I asked :p

Yet in terms of physical make-up each of us is a totally different person from the one we were seven years ago, because all our body cells have changed.In this case it is only the internal narrative of our lives as recalled in our memory that identifies us as the same person that we were born as.

Indeed. And we're changing moment by moment in order to be completely "replaced" over that seven year period.

Is my pet cat a person?

Does a person have to be human?

According to the dictionary. But the adjective "personality" is of course another thing. I'm certain your cat has one of those!:p

What about God?

Well that of course depends upon what one understands this term to refer to. :)

s.

He's been trying to translate some of my posts again. An impossible feat and it tends to permanently warp brains, especially older ones.

Sorry I wasn't being rude; I just didn't know what Paladin meant!

Pass the liniment.

s.

Sorry Snoopy, I never heard you use the word "Y'all" before. As in Y'all come back now ya heah? ;)

Y'all need to remember that there hasn't been no proper linguistic distinction between the second person singular and plural since the words 'thee,' 'thou,' and their variations went out of style, leaving us stuck with "y'all" as a means to make the distinction. Even the title of this thread, "You," is technically plural. (Did we lose the idea of personhood through the change of language?)

Back