Blasphemy: when is it?

Chronicles

Reaction score
When is something actually regarded as Blasphemous?

With so many expressed interpretations of the same material, where does interpretation, denominationalism, and sectarianism, cross the boundaries of Blasphemy in the eyes others within the same sphere of belief?

The Fool said:
When is something actually regarded as Blasphemous?

With so many expressed interpretations of the same material, where does interpretation, denominationalism, and sectarianism, cross the boundaries of Blasphemy in the eyes others within the same sphere of belief?

I notice that you got no replies here for quite a long time. Perhaps there was a fear that offense would be taken. To me the greatest blasphemy is hubris.

blasphemy

The difficulty with blasphemy is working out who has the right to judge. As soon as someone other than the deity accuses another of blasphemy, they set themselves up on a level with that deity, thus can be accused of blasphemy themselves.

Poytheism is less prone to this difficulty as it has various rituals and practices associated with different deities, so the range of the what is permitted is much greater. Here, short of actually doing physical harm to a shrine or sacred object, blasphemy doesn't really come itnto it - and in this instance, an attack on the religous artefact would constitute an attack upon the society and social customs of the group.

Regards

Martin Hogan

Re: blasphemy

Blasphemy is subjective, I guess. People speak of their respective faiths as being not only the one true path, but singular in itself--when in fact there are numerous sects that all think of the other as blasphemous.

Does anyone know if blasphemy exists in Buddhism? Buddhists seem to venerate truth and what generally works over a set system of rules. But then... who knows.

Re: blasphemy

Maybe a questions specifically in the Buddhism section. :)

I missed the thread, else I would have answered my piece long ago (might have something to do with bieng out to sea on a ship...Iduno).

Blasphemy is pretty straight forward in the Christian faith.

Blasphemy: Taking credit for what the Holy Spirit has done. 2: the only unforgivable sin. 3: To claim the works and wonders of God for one's self.

v/r

Q

Mus Zibii said:
Really? I'd never heard of that criteria.
Please correct me if I am in error. What is the definition of Blasphemy?

Beats me. Hence this thread. I figured the general definition was more broad. Like, if you say something negative against... something. Mahomet sent a blind assasin to kill a poetess and mother of five because her writing was critical of 'the prophet' and thus she was a blasphemer. Peter killed a couple because they lied about giving all their earthly possessions to the church. Broad strokes like that. Somehow deviating from what is perceived as 'established'.

Back