Study to show thyself approved.

Basstian

In Search
Reaction score
This verse has always driven me.
It has lead me down seldom traveled paths. And brought me back again. I love it then more I study the closer I feel to __________ fill in the blank. Or maybe that should read the more I study the closer ________ feels to me.

Last night I ordered the Lamsa Bible I look forward to its arrival. I know little about it and thought I would ask any one who has a mind to comment on it and other translations.

Please dont use this thread to attack any version or translation. If you have negative things to say please do so with a humble spirit knowing your brethen are on the reading side.

I look forward to seeing your wisdom in this thread.

BTW Thanks its good to be back :)

Wiki has this to say about the Lamsa Bible:

Wiki said:
Formally titled The Holy Bible from Ancient Eastern Manuscripts, the Lamsa Bible (which it is commonly called, after its editor, George M. Lamsa; also commonly abbreviated LBP for Lamsa Bible, Peshitta) first appeared in 1933. It was derived, both Old and New Testaments, from the Syriac Peshitta, the Bible used by the Assyrian Church of the East and other Syriac Christian traditions.
Lamsa claimed Aramaic primacy, against the academic mainstream opinion of the origin of New Testament texts, and thus claimed his translation was superior to texts based on older Greek manuscripts. Lamsa's translation technique was highly criticised by academics when the book was first published.[1][2] Translating difficult passages in the Peshitta, Lamsa appears to fall back on the English King James Version of the Bible.
The Peshitta, like the various English language Bibles, was translated from earlier Greek and Hebrew manuscripts. The New Testament translators of the King James Version, for example, used an edition of Erasmus' Greek Textus Receptus. The Peshitta New Testament is thought to derive from early Christian Aramaic manuscripts that also came from Greek, but are now lost. However, a few scholars argue for Aramaic primacy of the New Testament text.

There are some descrepancies cited against the KJV, in example the quote in Matthew 27:46 is rendered:

"My God, my God, for this I was spared!"

Rather than the traditional:

"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Interesting wording, though, since Jesus wasn't spared. Or else I'm not getting the meaning here. I wonder what other renderings are different?

Thanks for the wiki

using several meannings one could say

for this I was not harmed (I couldnt see that as being the meaning)
for this I was held in reserve (possible)
written by Bishop K. C. Pillai,
"Why has thou forsaken me?" :
Matthew 27: 46 -- And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why has thou forsaken me?
This verse represents a mistranslation of the meaning of the Aramaic words that Jesus spoke while on the cross. It also contradicts the Word in other parts of the Bible. Why would God forsake Jesus when he was fulfilling God's Will? Jesus always had the option to do his own will instead of the Father's.
Matthew 26: 53, 54 -- Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
Hebrews 13: 5 and Joshua 1: 5 says that God will never leave us nor forsake us. Why would he forsake His son? He wouldn't and He did not. In the ancient text of the Peshitta, written in Jesus' native Aramaic language, 'lama sabachthani' is REPLACED by 'lemana shabakthani'. 'Lemana' means 'for this purpose', and 'shabakthani' means 'spare, keep, or reserve'. So you see that Jesus did not say "why hast thou forsaken me", but "for this purpose was I spared", or "this is my destiny". It was Christ's purpose on earth to die on the cross, and that is what he was telling the world. His work on earth was finished for the time being.
John 19: 30 -- When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, IT IS FINISHED: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. [emphasis added]
Christ said 'It is finished [fulfilled]' before he took his last breath. He had fulfilled the Word, his destiny, so that we could be saved. Jesus Christ said: "My God, my God, for this purpose was I spared." Now the Word of God fits like a hand in a glove and apparent contradictions are either misunderstandings or mistranslations.
You will see a similar mistranslation in Psalm 22: 1 in the King James Version. The first sentence in this verse is translated exactly the same as Matthew 27: 46.
Psalm 22: 1 -- My God, my God, why has thou forsaken me? why are thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?[King James Version]
Many Western Bible scholars believe that Christ was referring to this verse when he was on the cross. However, the Aramaic Peshitta Translation translates Psalm 22: 1 as follows:
Psalm 22: 1 --My God, my God, why hast thou let me to live? And yet thou has delayed my salvation from me, because of the words of my folly. [Aramaic Translation]
As you can see, the meaning in the second case is quite different than the first! This example illustrates the importance of an accurate rendering of the eastern language, Aramaic, that Jesus spoke.

Light I hope on that usage of the word Spared Thanks

There are some descrepancies cited against the KJV, in example the quote in Matthew 27:46 is rendered:

"My God, my God, for this I was spared!"

Rather than the traditional:

"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"

Interesting wording, though, since Jesus wasn't spared. Or else I'm not getting the meaning here. I wonder what other renderings are different?
It is my understanding that what he is describing is the realization of the wholeness of the experience...after the 'take this cup from me' episodes Christ realized why he was spared, so that he could be on the cross at that time, 'forgive them they know not what they do' but he did, and he knew it was good.

The Lamsa is one in my collection...I enjoy the contemplation. It appears Lamsa thought that despite the Aramaic translations being more recent than the Greek, that the Aramaic would be more accurate as that was the language Jesus spoke. ie Aramaic to Greek to English would not be as true as Aramaic to Enlgish..

I have a very close relationship with Christ so I don’t fear being lead away. If I happen to be for a time He has promised He will leave the 99 and come find me. (His sheep am I)

Our bibles we use today are compiled letters books and scrolls written and re-written 100's of time or more and yet they still point us towards what I feel is the truth.

Kings and Chronicles show us the same view from the eyes of Israel and Judah.

I love my KJV. As I grow in faith more years than I want to claim. To further my studies I want to look at what is out there. I would have loved the ability to stroll down a row of scrolls in the library at Alexandria and read what others had to say. Or sit in a synagogue and have free access to scrolls that at some point had to be hidden in the cliffs of the dead sea.
Its funny as I was thinking about ordering this bible nightline did a special on the language Aramaic and how a small group is trying to keep the language alive.
Take it for what you will my spirit took it as an acknowledgment that further study in this was needed.

long ago a friend handed me two little books and said i need to read them
by Bishop K. C. Pillai
Orientalisms of the Bible
Orientalisms of the bible 1&2 great books lots to think about and study

Prior to this he had written The Light Through an Eastern Window.

I have not had the pleasure of reading that and finding it or the others at a reasonable price is pretty tough.

I guess my reason for starting this thread maybe I hid, but is more to understand why as a Christian I feel aprehensive about seeking truth from books other then the Old Stand By KJV? Maybe thats where this thread should turn as long as it doesnt get overheated.

This verse has always driven me.
It has lead me down seldom traveled paths. And brought me back again. I love it then more I study the closer I feel to __________ fill in the blank. Or maybe that should read the more I study the closer ________ feels to me.

Last night I ordered the Lamsa Bible I look forward to its arrival. I know little about it and thought I would ask any one who has a mind to comment on it and other translations.

Please dont use this thread to attack any version or translation. If you have negative things to say please do so with a humble spirit knowing your brethen are on the reading side.

I look forward to seeing your wisdom in this thread.

BTW Thanks its good to be back :)

The
Holy Bible from Ancient Eastern Manuscripts (the Peshitta) by George M. Lamsa, ............... nice one to have in your collection.

"The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God." (Psalm 9:17, King James Version) Here, instead of the word "hell," more modern translations such as Lamsa and The Jerusalem Bible have preferred to retain the word that appears in the Hebrew text, "Sheol." But to what exactly does "hell," or "Sheol," refer?​
The Bible book of Ecclesiastes gives more information about Sheol. It says: "All that your hand finds to do, do it with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol, the place to which you are going." (Ecclesiastes 9:10) If those in hell, or Sheol, cannot think or know or act, surely they cannot be suffering...................... i think maybe the lamsa bible has the more correct translation .

Back