Bible in Public School

wil

UNeyeR1
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Now here in the US all I ever hear about is how the bible is taken out of school. Yet my children have been in public schools in the DC area all their lives...and I constantly get to see religious stuff at school. From Christmas songs with their elementary school choir, to prayer at graduations, to religious discussion in middle school...

Now my kids bring home their next 14 weeks of ninth grade English Honors class. These are the things she has to read, research and discuss Cain and Abel, The Great Flood, Freemasons, Sodom and Gomorrah, Hecate, Joseph and his brothers, Mrs. Miniver, Amazons, Moses and the burning bush, Holy Grail, biblical and arthurian, Parting of the Red Sea, Prometheus, Mohamed and the mountain, Samson and Phillistines, Ruth, Beezelbub, David and Goliath, The Good Samaritan, The second coming, Water into Wine, Walking on Water, Judas and the silver pieces, Nemesis, a pound of flesh, Narcissus... two a week, summarize each, comment on conflict and plot of each, comment on and discuss theme each...

That's a lot of bible reading....for public school...we'll see how it all plays out and the discussions it creates! Especially as they bring metaphysical interpretations into the discussion....

Now here in the US all I ever hear about is how the bible is taken out of school. Yet my children have been in public schools in the DC area all their lives...and I constantly get to see religious stuff at school. From Christmas songs with their elementary school choir, to prayer at graduations, to religious discussion in middle school...

Now my kids bring home their next 14 weeks of ninth grade English Honors class. These are the things she has to read, research and discuss Cain and Abel, The Great Flood, Freemasons, Sodom and Gomorrah, Hecate, Joseph and his brothers, Mrs. Miniver, Amazons, Moses and the burning bush, Holy Grail, biblical and arthurian, Parting of the Red Sea, Prometheus, Mohamed and the mountain, Samson and Phillistines, Ruth, Beezelbub, David and Goliath, The Good Samaritan, The second coming, Water into Wine, Walking on Water, Judas and the silver pieces, Nemesis, a pound of flesh, Narcissus... two a week, summarize each, comment on conflict and plot of each, comment on and discuss theme each...

That's a lot of bible reading....for public school...we'll see how it all plays out and the discussions it creates! Especially as they bring metaphysical interpretations into the discussion....

I wish we read stuff like that in my public school. Shakespeare is so over-rated :p

Back