In the name of fashion

Snoopy

Reaction score
Just when I thought people couldn’t get any more shallow and callous, for the sake of fashion no less…

s.

Campaigners criticised the resurgence of snake and crocodile skin on the catwalk yesterday as Paris Fashion Week began.
Exotic animal skins have featured prominently on the catwalks of New York, London and Milan this season in bags, shoes and clothing collections .
“Anyone who wears exotic skins is giving money towards unimaginable cruelties, such as alligators and snakes being whacked on their heads with hammers or machetes, and then skinned while still conscious,” Poorva Joshipura, director of People for Ethnical Treatment of Animals (Peta) Europe, said.

"With the bigger snakes, they force a hose pipe down its throat and blow it up like a balloon to make the skin easier to peel off. They throw the snake’s body away — while it’s still alive — where it can survive in agony for up to two days.”

Return of snakeskin angers protesters - Times Online

:confused: seems to me we are in a period of regression on almost every front.

:confused: seems to me we are in a period of regression on almost every front.
I frankly don't understand the difference of what is done to an animal for fashion vs. food. The conditions of veal, chickens, turkeys, cows is atrocious. Then we have what folks put their pets thru....yes the baby will learn to stop poking him in the eye...

If one is a carnivore the line to complain about kangaroo tail steak, alligator purses...I just can't even contemplate the twists and turns...

Our consciousness as an animal is not at in a state yet that allows us to rise above the consciousness of the animal.

I don't see it as a slide in any way....I still see us growing slowly in this regard...maybe some hills and valleys..but still an uphill curve.

well.....I can see why a human omnivore would eat meat, and Western consumers are dissociated from the means of production...

but for a fashion accessory?:(

s.

well.....I can see why a human omnivore would eat meat, and Western consumers are dissociated from the means of production...

but for a fashion accessory?:(

s.
When meat is not required for the human diet and when most of the world is increasing in obesity, while at the same time decreasing in nutrition, and meat production takes more land, more time, more dollars, more water, and more crops, ie more resources than production for a vegetarian diet....I'd say meat consumption is a fashion accessory.

Now if one considers that to extreme a position....leather motorcycle jackets and chaps, leather gloves, handbags, belts, or boots....um....er...fashion accessories....some reason we are specist and consider cows lower on the chain than alligators or snakes....before we toss in the well we omnivores eat cows, both can be found on restaurant's menus in the states and around the world. (ya pay extra...just like you do for the handbags, belts or boots)

And I've heard all the arguments, I used to make them. And yes leather is more durable....when I was a cowboy boot wearer, roamin' around the desert, in and out of stirrups and bars....boots were a tool, and a fashion accessory, and I can tell you, my snake and elephant boots lasted longer than my leather boots...them ostrich boots weren't so hot though. I don't know if anyone makes any decent cowboy boot with manmade materials.

Personally I think I'd take a half decent pair of manmade footwear rather than a pair made by... forcing a hose pipe down a snake's throat and blowing it up like a balloon to make the skin easier to peel off. They throw the snake’s body away — while it’s still alive — where it can survive in agony for up to two days...

...but that's just sentimental old me.

s.

Personally I think I'd take a half decent pair of manmade footwear rather than a pair made by... forcing a hose pipe down a snake's throat and blowing it up like a balloon to make the skin easier to peel off. They throw the snake’s body away — while it’s still alive — where it can survive in agony for up to two days...

...but that's just sentimental old me.

s.
agreed, that would be my choice as well...and if folks knew maybe more would make it their choice....however I can say that I didn't know and chose otherwise in the past and really cannot condemn others for things which I also have done. Nor can I really judge others on things I have not done....as I am not in their shoes (be they snake, leather, or .....)

Back